main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A question on the Saga -vs- OTC line......

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by LordPimpin, Jun 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordPimpin

LordPimpin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    What does everyone like better? The OTC line or the Saga line? I just finished my Ep1 and Sp3 collections as well as my POTF2 collection, and i'd like to begin one of these lines now but i'd like some feedback on both lines of figures before i make my choice!

Lord Pimpin

2. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    at first i thought "definitely the OTC" but then i thought about it some more, and the answer becomes more complicated.

the following is my opinion:

OTC has much better packaging, and looks better for the mint-on-card collector. overall, the OTC has better sculpts and a great variety of characters. the "post-OTC" includes three of my favorites: dannik jeriko, myo, and feltipern trevagg. the dagobah set of luke, yoda, obi-wan, and r2 is awesome. also, many of the saga figures are repeated in the OTC: boba fett, general lando, etc.

on the other hand, the saga series has some real gems. ephant mon comes to mind immediately. i never saw ephant mon in the stores until last winter, when KB got a bunch of him in their $2.99 clearance assortment. he's one awesome chunk of plastic. i also love R1G4, because i love obscure background characters. same goes for dutch vander, jan dodonna, and captain antilles. even djas puhr, one of KB's favorite pegwarmers, is an essential figure to me.

it's a hard decision. i think if i was in your position, i would start with OTC--buy the characters you want in that packaging. at the same time, look for the characters that weren't released in OTC packages...like some that i mentioned above. there are enough repeats that i don't see why you can't collect both lines a once. i hope that helps, and there are probably many who disagree with me. as always, my advice is simply "buy what you like.":)

3. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    ^That is good advice.

Both the Saga and the OTC line share some common favorites amongst collectors. Like rebelwookiee said, many of the Saga figures are repeated in the OTC line. I would say to get those figures in their retro cool OTC packaging and pass them up in the Saga line. Unless of course, you are a completist... which I'm assuming you are. There are many great figures in the Saga line as well, many of which aren't part of the OTC. You may decide to get the figures (and there are a lot of them) that were not repacked in the OTC line. The choice is yours... buy what makes you happy.

:D

4. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Wasn't most of the OTC line re-paints? Not only from Saga but there are more then a few POTF2 toys in there too.

Having said that I did like the OTC line. It really boils down to the package. It was like having a mini diorama and still being able to keep you figs on the card ;)

5. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I agree.. OTC because of the packaging. Plus, I thought that the
    few new sculpts were superior to most anything in the Saga
    line. The repaints were also pretty darn good IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.