main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NV A question to ponder

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Axia_Euxine, May 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    MORE QUESTIONS!!! Like Darkstar, I find this a nice quick mental break.

[sound=tin mug dragged across jail bars] More! More! [/sound]

2. DarthDarkstar

DarthDarkstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    ok, I have a question, perhaps we can all share in answering... its a NJO question.

The Yuhzzin Vong (sp?)... Why is it that we can't sense them in the force? Are they different, or were the jedi wrong about the force all along? And why is it the only people that can "sense" them are the ones that were captured and started to be broken by them (IE: Tahlia)

3. Axia_Euxine

Axia_Euxine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2003
    hmmmm, my quick and dirty answer. They CAN be sensed through the force like Tahiri and Jacen found out. My feeling is they are part of the Force but so far to the "left" (for want of a better term) that Jedi cant sense them, except for the two mentioned becuase they had been plugged in to Vong and shown exactly where they "were" in the force.

I believe in time that they could sense them in the force.

Here's another theory, the vong all belong to the "Dark" side. We all know the Force has a difficult time in sensing the dark side.

Of course then that bring up the point why couldn't Jaina sense them? But did she ever fully turn? I don't think so.

Maybe the force it's self has abandonned the Vong?

4. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    I vaguely remember something in one of the books explaining it like this: the force is like the religion of the Jedi. The Vong have their own religion, and the two do not acknowledge each other.

It's like they have a whole different, foreign way of even existing.

I concur with Axia on this. Imagine you speak English, but someone else speaks Ancient Greek. Until you are taught a word or two (the breaking, shaping and brainwashing) or until you can actually assimilate enough of their culture (Vergere) or until you can somehow find a point of translation (Anakin and the lambent crystal in his saber) there just isn't much hope of communication, understanding or being understood.

Maybe it's like that.

I think that the Jedi and this galaxy have embraced one aspect or portion of understanding of the Force, and called it 'complete'. This was the foundation of a thousand generation of jedi and their teachings. Now they are slowly realizing there is a lot they don't even know about. Back to the language metaphor, it's as if they only learned 1/2 of the vocabulary of the force, but in their arrogance deemed it complete.

What do you think? Am I way off here?

BTW, I haven't finished reading the latest NJO book, so please no spoilers from there.

5. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    "...too sure of themselves they are, even the older, more experienced Jedi."

Palpatine at one point had to be trained by a Sith Lord as he trained Maul. Maul has unbelievable lightsaber skills. So my questin is, does Palpatine use or has he ever used a lightsaber? Thoughts?

(edit: sidebar question. Here's a thought, maybe Palpatine has been around much longer than we think. We know hyperdrive tech has been around for thousands of years in Star Wars perhaps cloning has been as well. So what if Palpy is hundreds if not thousands of years old. We know he transferred his essence into a new clone body after The Battle of Endor. ((ref: Dark Empire)) What if that hadn't been the first time? Who knows how many pupils he had. Just a thought)

BTW, just becuase I or someone else posts a new question doesn't mean you cant chime in on a previous question. Just let us know which one you're answering.

6. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002

I think Palpatine can use a saber. If I remember correctly, I think the Sith Lord Prestige Class in the RPG has Lightsaber stuff attached to it (meaning you get better as it as you go, like a jedi). I don't have the sourcebook in front of me, so I could be wrong. But if that's any clue, then maybe he has one and can use it well. Stands to reason, if he trained Maul. If he doesn't have/use one, could he train Maul that well, just from 'head knowledge' about fighting?

Or perhaps he enlisted the aid of another. Dooku is certainly old enough to have been around to train Maul, and Dooku is supposed to be in the top 3 in the galaxy with a saber. Perhaps palpy used others, who were just skilled in martial arts/sword stuff.

Although wouldn't it be cool if he did have a creepy sith lord saber, and we got to see him fight with in episode 3?

Palpy being being 100's or 1000's of years old:

Out of the movies, in the EU, definitely possible.
    In the movies, I kinda doubt lucas will do that, but you never know.
    Interesting possibilties are there, though: The Sith law of two ("only two there are, no more, no less") originates around the time of the Battle of Ruusan, if I remember correctly. After they almost destroyed themselves from infighting, they decided to keep it to only 2 at a time. If Palp was 1000's of years old, what if he predates the Battle of Ruusan, and doesn't subscribe to the 'law of 2' philosophy. Ooooohhh!! He may be the leader of many, many Sith Lords!!

7. JADED_JEDI

JADED_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    Lords of the Force have been known to take up regular objects such as walking sticks and the like and imbue them with the force, making them like lightsabers. This was done during the Sith era, I believe.

I did not actually read the comic in which this occurred, but it is in an old character book that I have and will bring the next time I attend the game. This really interseted me when I read it.

If I remember correctly it was a legend in which a Sith apprentice rose up to conquer his master. When the apprentice actually approched his master with his lightsaber, intending to strike down his defensless master, the master imbuded his walking stick with the force. In the battle that followed the apprentice was dumbstruck by the fact that the stick did not crumble under the blaze of his own lightsaber. I don't remember how the battle ended, but it was definitely cool.:)

8. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    I saw Yoda do that in a comic, I think. Or maybe he used his hand. Bring that thing you were talking about, I would love to look at it.

9. JADED_JEDI

May 21, 2002
    Sure. I've had it forever. You may have already seen it back in the day.

10. JADED_JEDI

May 21, 2002
    I never thought that Palpy may have already transfered his essence into another clone. That's an interesting thought.

Here's one for you:

If a clone of ones self were to be produced and all the memories one had, the clone had, and assuming the clone could translate the diffence between right and wrong as the one did, then would it be as if the one's life were continued, or whould it be it's own identity?

11. TK-4752

TK-4752 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 20, 2002
    Well, the Matrix, The Oracle, and the Architect have answered that...

We don't make random decisions. Our decisions are based on WHO we are, and our life experiences. If a clone was made of me, he'd make the same choices and react to situations the same way I would, unless something COMPLETELY different happened to him right after he became aware. It'd be a continuation of me, but since the future experiences of the clone would be different, it'd make a slightly different me.

So, depending on where Palpy's clone's consciousness was dumped, he'd still be a master of the Dark Side, but he'd also be able to gather information on what went wrong with the Empire. I doubt he'd become Emperor again, but he'd no doubt assassinate every Jedi alive and try coming to power again.

If Palpy's clone's consciousness was dumped before he really turned to the Dark Side, he might be saved.

I think Palpy had a clone of himself made in "Shadows of the Empire" -- but he hadn't transferred his consciousness over, so he was just an evil guy with a really cool cape.

12. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    wow did this topic get bumped! It was near the bottom of the second page. Okay something deep (or at least interesting) to ponder....

Sorry this is the only thing I could come up with...

If Talon's game were a Star Wars book you were reading would you like to see Axia continue her efforts to redeem her friend Petra from the Dark Side while teetering on the edge herself? Or would you rather her turn Dark and forsake the quest for her mother who may or may not be alive?

13. Petra_Blakkwing

Petra_Blakkwing Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    um....should i refrain from answering this because my answer is too biased? I totally think you should go back to the dark side....you and Petra could kick major bootay!!!!!!

Here's another question to ponder along with Axia's....... Why did whoever hid Luke and Leia as babies hide Luke on his father's home planet with his father's last name with his father's step-brother????? why didn't Vader think to look there? They went to a lot of trouble to hide Leia on Alderaan with Bail Organa, why did Luke get such a crappy hiding place?????

14. JADED_JEDI

May 21, 2002
    Because Luke is a whiner and nobody cared about little baby Lukey.

15. JADED_JEDI

May 21, 2002
    Yeah, this post was at the bottom and I bumped it up with a question. Funny thing is that the post is now gone.

I posted...

Why doesn't Obi-Wan use knight speed when he is trying to catch up to the battle between him, Qui and Maul? They used it in the Trade Federation ship when they were trying to get away from the droidekas...

16. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    This was actually asked in another thread I think.

He didn't have the energy. He had been fighting with Maul for a while by then and lacked the vitality to make a move like that.

17. JADED_JEDI

May 21, 2002
    Good enough for me.

Which thread was it? I could have sworn that it was this one.

18. LADY_OBI-WAN

LADY_OBI-WAN Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2002
    Here's another answer for you Petra - Axia and I had a long conversation about this very subject one night.

Ok, WE know Padme has twins, but ANAKIN doesn't. Remember in Jedi, Vader is surprised to learn of a sister. He knows Padme's pregnant, but doesn't know about Leia, so they put Luke on Tatooine, with Ben to protect him, so they could divert attention from Leia. And we also know from Jedi that Vader has a "soft spot" for his son and probably wouldn't kill him. Besides, it's the Emperor who has the vision that "the son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi." Palpy is afraid of Luke, Vader isn't. Vader wants to convert Luke to the dark side to kill the Emperor and take over. Like "Skywalker and Son's" Just imagine....

:::Vader riding a bull with Luke holding the lead.::: (In southern accent) "Come on down to Skywalker and Son's. We got great deals on peace and order in the universe. Remember, shop Skywalker and Son's, or we'll choke ya!" :D

PLUS, having Luke's mivox hanging out in the open ensures that if something should happen to him, "there is another" to quote Yoda.

How's that? :D

19. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    No, No, no. No southern Star Wars. Vader with a cowboy hat, thats gonna give me knightmares (get it, Knightmares?)

Heres a question. Why is the "Next active topic" link only at the top of the page? HMMMMM

Play Galaxies for a better tomorrow.

20. JADED_JEDI

May 21, 2002
    Well, why then does Vader leave Luke alone all his life? The only reason that Luke gets in a tangle with Vader is because LUKE left Tatooine. Don't you think that if Vader wanted Luke to become a dark jedi he would have gone to Tatooine and picked him up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.