main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST A question to Star Wars fans

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Close-the-Blast-Doors, Dec 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Close-the-Blast-Doors

Close-the-Blast-Doors Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2016
    Hi guys, just a quick question; what did you guys think overall of TFA? I am curious to know because I assume it was an overall positive reception and the majority of Star Wars felt it was positive, even if there were some reservations.

I put this to you because on IMDB; the board is littered by people who claim to be Star Wars fans who have a huge animosity towards it, and they give it a 1/10 rating. They even go as far as to say the Prequels were better. I'm personally amazed at the level of hatred from these people, and they actually claim that they represent the majority of Star Wars fans who all claim they loathe the film.

Me, I personally enjoyed the film and I re-watched it again. It's the most fun I've had in a cinema in a long time. It's well shot and directed, I love the characters and the actors, and frankly I defended the "back to basic" approach of the film. Let me explain: you see, as much as I would have loved to have to seen a direct sequel to ROTJ, you need to cater to a new audience, and I feel the best sequels should be always be stand-alone. The plot itself wasn't completely a rehash, I think the swashbuckling, western serial was always part of the Star Wars opus. We needed a reminder of the great art that made the series, ridding away from that complex stuff about politics and tax blockades. So overall, the Star Wars films are family films, and this was an good introduction for new people who wanted to get into the series.

Of course I gave up on Star Wars a long time ago. The rotten prequels and the failure to release the theatrical editions in the proper high def treatment they deserve etc. I'm older now and my film taste has changed to a more artistic way; New Wave cinema, Independent foreign films etc. But I'll always be a fan of Star Wars, and The Empire Strikes Back and I still rate them highly as excellent cinema. The Force Awakens for me, speaking not as a die hard fan, was very impressive. I envy the new generation.

2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Everybody has their opinions. I would not use IMDb as yard stick for any genuine discussion. It is howling vessel of flatulence.

You can assume that roughly everyone that doesn't post their complaints about TFA in the titled thread below likes the film.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    And with that, I'm going to lock this thread. All of the facets of this topic can be (and are being) discussed in many of the existing threads here in this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.