main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Question

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Uldir_Fenn, Jul 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uldir_Fenn

Uldir_Fenn Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2004
    I like to know what happened to Kamino in and during the clone wars. Was is destroyed or was it still around in the Empire? If it was destroyed, how did that come about? etc...

2. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Interesting question...

According to the SW.com databank, "To supply the army with armor and transport, the Kaminoans partnered with the neighboring Rothana system to develop advanced combat machinery." The Republic Assault Ship, Gunship and AT-TE were all produced by Rothana Heavy Engineering, which is listed as a "local subsidiary of KDY". I don't know how strong the connection between Kamino and Kuat Drive Yards was, but KDY was definitely still around strong during the Empire and perhaps Kamino continued to benefit from that economic partnership.

Furthermore, I would assume that the Kaminoans retreated into their isolationism after the Clone Wars. Here's another excerpt from the official databank, "Kaminoans have very little interest in life beyond their solar system, other than the imports needed by their society. They are detached from the arena of galactic events and have no concerns regarding the repercussions of their breakthroughs." Although I can not cite my source off hand, I do believe that the Empire outlawed cloning prior to ANH, which undoubtedly had a negative effect on the relationship between Kamino and the rest of the Galaxy.

Additionally you might want to check out:
    The Dark Horse Comic Star Wars: Clone Wars, Vol. 1 "The Defense of Kamino and Other Tales"

3. Aerex_Matare

Aerex_Matare Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2005
    If I had to guess, I'd say that after the ban on cloning took effect, the Kaminoans didn't do much. I doubt the Empire would subjugate them like on Kashyyyk or Ithor, what with their history and all, but I also think the isolationist policies of Kamino, combined with the Empire's disinterest in them, probably resulted in Kamino becoming a backwater planet with some interesting history. Maybe some of their designers joined up with the Kuati? Or did they go their own route, break of ties to neighboring systems, and work on their environmental issues (Kamino used to be an earth-like planet, but their massive industries caused the ice caps to melt, resulting in the ocean planet we see in AOTC)? It seems like there's no canon yet, unless the upcoming Purge novel mentions it.

Bah, just an old man's speculation.

4. Uldir_Fenn

Apr 11, 2004
    SO, i supose, that they could be still producing clones, illegal though it may be.

5. agentj

agentj Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 3, 2004
    Now, wait. Palpatine controlled the government...he was the government! Why would he outlaw cloning if he still wanted to use clones as a military force? Or was this banning of clones a ploy he used to cause more strife amongst systems in his web of controlled chaos?

6. Uldir_Fenn

Apr 11, 2004
    now there is an interesting thought

7. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    EDIT: I went back and read the Unofficial Timeline until my eyes crossed and I can't find the reference. Although, I will say that Kamino does not play a major role in future cloning endeavors. My head hurts and I'll be dreaming about clones.

The clones are aging pretty fast and I imagine it's a good idea to put a halt on someone else growing an army to take on the new Empire.

Interesting factoid, after the creation of Empire the first academies for non-clone officers appear. (SW Visual Dictionary ROTS)

8. Palpy560

Palpy560 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2005
    hmmm, interesting. Clones are awesome, its a shame the got new recruits.

9. Uldir_Fenn

Apr 11, 2004
    I started reading some clon war books (eg. the Cestus deception) and the depiction of clones there is pretty cool. Tough warriors that can handle anything but don't have care for their own wellbeing. A bit like droids, really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.