main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Question...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jedi Xandra Shepiro, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Jedi Xandra Shepiro

Jedi Xandra Shepiro Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2016
    If you got a blood transfusion from a Jedi, or got a organ transplant from a Jedi, do you think you would gain any Jedi Powers??

2. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    No. In Legends, Grievous got a blood transfusion from Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas and nothing happened to give Grievous force-sensitivity

Zikri and thejeditraitor like this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That's not how the Force works.

ObidioJuan, oncafar, Zikri and 6 others like this.
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There was also a lengthy storyline in the old EU, about a scientist trying to see if such a thing could happen. It was determined that it cannot happen.

Zikri, thejeditraitor and Darth Dnej like this.
  5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, blood doesn't give you Force powers.

Zikri likes this.
  6. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005

No. There's a misconception that midichlorians determine Force potential but it's actually the other way around. Midichlorians are like moths, attracted to bright lights - in this case, the Force. I wouldn't say they feed on the Force but they certainly thrive in beings who have a strong connection to the Force. If you were to give Han Solo an infusion of Luke's midichlorian-rich blood, the extra midichlorians (extra because Han already has some) would probably die because the connection to the Force wouldn't be strong enough to sustain them.

The only way to increase Force potential is to train. You have to teach your body and mind to feel and enhance that connection. In doing so, a person's midichlorian count would presumably increase over time as the connection grows stronger. Jedi and Sith typically don't train those who don't start out with a strong connection because it would take so long for that person to expand their connection to the Force and most people wouldn't have the patience anyway. If you're strong in the Force, powers could manifest in a matter of days or weeks (or hours in the case of Luke) of training. If you're weak in the Force, it could take years to develop your connection to a level where you can even begin to use the Force in a conscious manner.

A blood (and thus midichlorian) transfusion would be like transferring crops from rich, fertile soil to poorer soil that lacks the same nutrients. It's also worth noting that a person isn't just connecting to the Force, they're creating the Force. Every new life generates the energy that makes up the Force.

oncafar likes this.
  7. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

There is nothing in the movies to suggest any of this, and multiple authorial statements by Lucas indicate otherwise. You're spreading misinformation as if it were fact. Given that this is a common fan theory created by people who don't like the idea behind midi-chlorians, I suspect you are doing it deliberately. That's not very cool.

8. Jedsithor

Oct 1, 2005

Oh there's no doubt that there's a genetic link when it comes to the Force. The most obvious examples are the Skywalker children, who inherited their father's Force potential and the midichlorians certainly play a role in that. But the main role of the midichlorians is to provide a link between the Cosmic Force and the Living Force, as explained in the final Yoda arc in Clone Wars and it's this link that allows a person to connect to the Force in a way that allows them to use it. The more midichlorians you have, the stronger the link but the midichlorians themselves aren't the Force. As lifeforms, they of course create and sustain the Force, just as all life does, but their purpose is to act as a kind of conduit. The question is, can a person who's link to the Force is weak actually strengthen that link? I don't see a reason why not. Everyone is connected to the Force and everyone has midichlorians. Some have more than others but it must certainly be possible to connect to the Force no matter who you are or what your starting potential is. That connection may start off as weak but I think it can be strengthened naturally. In other words, you couldn't just inject midichlorians into someone and expect it to work but if you dedicated mind and body to listening to the Force, the Force might just answer back eventually. Would your own midichlorian count increase? I don't know. I doubt we'll ever know since I think Disney will pretty much ignore the midichlorian concept going forward, but I certainly think it's possible.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It's actually explained in TPM.

10. Jedsithor

Oct 1, 2005

Correct me if I'm wrong but your profile pic is from that very scene, right?

I always thought that scene was had the clunkiest exposition in the whole saga but of course, Qui-Gon is trying to explain the complexity of the Force to a child so the midichlorians are explained in a very simplified way. I always found it funny that Qui-Gon is trying to explain it so that a child can comprehend it yet for years, people have misinterpreted what he said as the midichlorians actually being the Force.

Going back to the original question regarding transfusions and organ transplants, every individual has their own connection to the Force. In one episode of Clone Wars, Yoda is talking to three clones (the episode where he and Ventress compete for Toydaria's loyalty) and he tells them that each of them is different in the Force, despite being clones. You might expect that every clone has the same presence in the Force as each other and Jango Fett but every clone, and indeed every life form, "generates" their own connection to the Force.

11. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    As correct as that may be, that does not imply in any way what you stated in your first post here. The Force is generated by life and connects life, and each individual is unique in it, yes. But it's a leap in logic, and an unfounded one at that, to state that midichlorians flock like moths to beings who are more attuned to the Force. For instance, we know as an unequivocal fact that Luke and Leia are strong in the Force because Anakin was strong in the Force. However, neither of them use it or even consider it for the 19 years of their lives before the original film. If the midichlorians are a Force-conduit but also flock to those more powerful, they would surely have died out in the Skywalker twins to a much more average count, simply from disuse.

So, it's much more correct to go with the features the EU had carved out based on discussions that took place in the movies and with George Lucas and other Lucasfilm creatives. Some people are just born with more potential. If you have a low midichlorian count, you'll always have a low midichlorian count and you can't use telepathy or super-jumping or other Jedi techniques, no matter how hard you meditate. If you have a high midichlorian count, you still have to train to understand what the Force is and can do, so there's always room for improvement there. Anakin was special because he was born special, not because of any amount of training he received, which is a real contributing factor into his fall to the dark side. It matters, from a storytelling perspective.

As far as the original question, I would assume a normalization process would occur. Maybe if you drained a Jedi of ALL of their blood and put it in your system, you could use the Force for a time, if you already knew how. But the midichlorians exist in all cells, not just blood cells, so it's not really enough percentage-wise to say that you would have a high midichlorian count. And over time the Jedi's blood would become waste the same way that your blood naturally does, new blood would be created, and you'd be back to normal probably before you realized anything was different. I doubt we'll ever see this in the movies, though.

12. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    This is why, I think, a lot of people had a problem with the introduction of midi-chlorians. If you receive a blood transfusion, or organ transplant from say, an artist, it doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be able to sketch the Mona Lisa immediately. Although, there have been weird stories of people being able to play an instrument or picking up the quirks/tastes of a deceased individual once receiving an organ donation in today's world, they are rare and seen as unexplained mysteries.

Technically, in the SW universe, everyone has the force. The force connects every living being in the world and even exists in the air, however, a Jedi is almost always referred to as "Force Sensitive" which means that it reacts differently with each individual. I guess technically every living being would have some type of midichlorian in their blood, it's just the ones with high numbers of concentration that are granted force powers. I feel if you were to receive a blood transfusion from a Jedi and you were non-force sensitive, the extra midichlorians would be unable to sustain themselves and die off. That is why force sensitives almost always have force sensitive parents, because it's more than just the blood, it's the full genetics of the person.

StoryWorthTelling likes this.
  13. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    That´s funny because to me it was always perfectly clear that midichlorians and the Force are two different things. And I saw The Phantom Menace for the first time when I was around ten year old, before Clones and Sith were made and without ever seeing Hope, Empire or Jedi before. Maybe the exposition in that scene isn´t that clunky after all.

14. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    It's open to interpretation of course.

My own interpretation based on what's on-screen.

Is that the Force is an energy field created by all living things and this is also the "life force" that enables Life to exist. It binds us and creates the "life spark". In other words, If there's life there's Force. And it's an ever present item even in the lifeless vacuum of space. It's omnipresent. I.E. GOD.

Some individuals show an affinity or sensitivity to this energy field and can interact with it to some degree. I.E. Force sensitive. This sensitivity allows the individual to have some "powers" beyond what is normal to their kin/species. Pre-cognition, reflexes, physical feats, mind control, astral projection, telekinesis, etc. One way that you can detect this sensitivity is by doing a test for midi-chlorian. The higher the count it is believed that the individual has a higher affinity or potential to use this energy (force). And I do stress "potential". Now you can argue if mids are the Force or the Force causes the mids to enter a body. To me it's a pointless discussion. The mid count is a way to identify potential force users.

Now to the topic of the thread. I actually think that Anakin, Luke, Leia, Ben Solo are special cases and their situation is not the norm. Anakin is the Messiah. Literally he's the son of the Force (e.g. God). And so things don't work the same way when it comes to him. E.G. He doesn't die when he should have due to the burns and injuries. The Force passes on to his progeny, etc.

But to the rest I don't believe the force reside in the blood, or parts of the body of the force user. If this were the case, Sidious would have cloned Dooku or Maul and create an army of dark side users.

No the explanation is actually provided by Yoda in ESB:

Yoda: Luminous beings we are. Not this crude matter

In other words. The Jedi, the force sensitive entity that is a Jedi, is not the physical body that walks, eats and sleeps. It's something else. So taking the blood, organs or even cloning a Jedi should be useless.

Where there could be a twist is Anakin. But I do believe that the Sith and Jedi probably already tried int he past to clone or replicate the Force powers and was not possible. And this is the reason why Pals doesn't try.

Yoda may not suggest or try this as it goes against the "nature of things".

Manny_Bothanz likes this.