main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A random discussion of Greg Bear and his works

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by droideka27, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Okay, i admit it, i'm an author reader. When i find one i like i try to read everything they've written that i can get my hands on... good or bad. I have done it with many many authors.

I think the first time i realized who Greg Bear was was when my mom encouraged me to read "Darwin's Radio." Rather good book, very very interesting, and i was hooked. He wrote Rogue Planet as well, which i had read but hadn't connected. Darwin's children came out a few years ago, and i rather enjoyed it as well. i actually got to meet him at a comic convention in San Diego and got a book signed for my mom.

Anyways, the other week i read two of his novels: Hegira and Dead Lines.

I have to say, they weren't what i expected. Hegira was just strannnngeeeee, but rather captivating. The premise is a world that has been created by humans but thousands and thousands of years in our future... basically like a reconstruction of earth or something. they left behind oblisks that are miles high and have all the secrets of their civilization on them, but they are unclimbable, so most of the information is inaccessible. it was really quite a religious book, and the ending was weird.

The other, Dead Lines, was minorly freaky. It was pretty much a horror type book... i don't know why it qualified as sci-fi at my library, but it did, apparently. I suppose there is a "new cellular phone technology" in the book. Basically it's about ghosts and bad stuff. I rather liked it though, it was very engrossing.

Does anyone but me do this? :p And are there any other fans of Greg Bear out there?

2. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    I usually don't read everything in an author's repetoire-- if I like a series, I'll read that, or if I find the description of the stories interesting and it's an author I've liked before I might pick it up. There is one exception, which I'm currently reading, but I won't discuss it here :p

I have read Darwin's Radio a while ago, though. Good book, if I remember, but I actually don't remember it too well at this point. [face_thinking] I can't remind myself at the moment as my copy would be at home and I'm at college...

3. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    I've only read his Star Wars novel Rogue Planet which to be honest is the worst Star Wars adult novel I have ever read. Worse then the Crystal Star.

-The Scummy-

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I do that too. It's a pain when I stumble across authors with seven bazillion books out.

Anyway, I didn't care for his Star Wars novel at all so have not tried anything else of his.

5. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    Hi!

Hmm Greg Bear. The book I read by Greg Bear is called Moving Mars. It was pretty good! In this book there is some crazy technology and there is Mars and stuff like that.

I also read his Star Wars book and I thought that one was pretty good.

6. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Oh! I did read Eon, of his, which i rather enjoyed, and the books that went with that. i think there might have been 3? It is about an asteroid thing that appears above eath in the relative present, and when it is investigated it has 7 chambers and is a ship for thousands of people, none of whom are there anymore. It is also apparently from the future, and it has a great mystery in the 7th chamber.

Also i read Forge of God and Anvil of Stars. Those two books are about the invasion and destruction of earth, and the aftermath. Pretty cool stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.