main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Ray of Light - Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JD1975, Jun 5, 2016.

1. JD1975

JD1975 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    Title: A Ray of Light

Author(s): JD1975

Timeframe: Between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens, with some brief scenes that I imagine taking place between The Force Awakens and Star Wars VIII

Characters: Luke, Artoo, briefly Rey, possibly a brief glimpse of Ben Solo, Han and Leia

Genre: Action/adventure with romance

Keywords: Luke, Rey

Summary: This continues the story of Luke Skywalker and his apprentice (now Jedi Knight) Katia who was first introduced in my first story The First Apprentice. This is a sequel to that story.

Notes: May contain possible spoilers for The Force Awakens as well as my take on events that could possibly take place beyond.

She crouched by the fire, warming her hands. It had been another long day of hard work but it was not unpleasant. She had already learned so much. Her thoughts were distracted though and she turned quickly, feeling as though something was there. Her gaze fell on a wooden chest shoved into a dark corner of the hut. It wasn’t something she’d noticed before. She stood and walked over to it, kneeling down in front of it. Her hands were drawn to the latch.

She hesitated.

The last time she had opened a box like this it had been decidedly unpleasant and this wasn’t something that belonged to her. She had no right to invade the privacy of its owner but her hand seemed to move of its own volition. She flipped the lock open, holding her breath. As she viewed the contents she breathed out, feeling silly.

Spare clothes and supplies filled the box, simple odds and ends that belonged to the one who had taken refuge in this place. She was about to close the box when a glimmer caught her eye, strange since there was so little light inside the hut. Reaching down she lifted the object from the bottom of the chest. Another object had been carefully placed within the circumference of the first object and she lifted that out as well.

Moving over to the fire she held both objects carefully to get a better look in the light. The bracelet was of a thick gold metal etched with a swirling pattern of flowers. She traced them carefully with the tip of her finger. It was almost as if her finger knew the pattern by heart, knowing exactly where to move without her looking. The second object was a ring made of three concentric circles in varying shades of gold. She turned it over in the palm of her hand. There was something so familiar about these things but she couldn’t place it. It was like a knock at a door in the back of her mind that she could not answer. It was an odd sensation though not frightening or painful as when she’d touched the lightsaber in Maz Kanata’s castle, still….

The footfall in the doorway of the hut startled her. She had been so intrigued by her find that she had failed to sense the presence of the man she had come to know. She nearly dropped the bracelet, only the heightened reflexes honed from her training had kept it from clattering to the floor as she grabbed it, clutching the ring in her other hand.

There was no hiding what she’d been doing. She knew he’d seen.

She froze, wondering what reaction awaited her – anger, admonishment, hurt – though generally none of those seemed his way. But perhaps what she saw in his eyes was far worse – a deep sadness, anguish, something almost akin to what she had seen in his eyes when he’d looked upon her for the first time – something she still did not understand.

That sadness seemed to envelop her, to become her own. A deep sorrow and a feeling of loss that she could not understand, something missing….. As the seconds passed the feeling became more painful and a deep guilt began to well within her. There was something she should know, someone…. She should remember…. The sadness became too unbearable.

“I – I’m sorry….” She whispered. “I shouldn’t have looked. Forgive me”, she said, turning to place the pieces back into the chest. This was the last time she would go snooping where she did not belong. As she turned away hastily she nudged some of the objects within the chest so they fell haphazardly, a metal object smacking her hand.

“Ow!” she said, glancing to see what had struck her. She froze for a moment before taking the object and lifting it from the chest, oblivious now to the man who stood watching her.

The lightsaber was different from the ones she’d seen - the one that had belonged to him and his father and the one he carried now. It was lighter with a softer grip attached to the metal handle. This weapon elicited no visions when she touched it although it felt… special, important, again there was something that needled the back of her mind – a stubborn whisper she could not hear no matter how she tried.

She held the blade aloft and ignited it. The pitch that sounded was slightly different from his old blade that she was using and the blade he’d crafted himself – she supposed every weapon would have its own distinct sound as this one’s color was distinct. Unlike his old blue weapon and the green he’d fashioned this one glowed yellow.

She could sense his pain, how deep it ran, and she could not bring herself to meet his gaze and yet she could not stop herself from asking, “Whose is this?”

2. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    Interesting opening, nice description. I would like to have a name to latch onto, it's hard to get very attached to "she", although I can only assume it's Rey? She really needs to stop snooping. Looking forward to future installments.

AzureAngel2 and JD1975 like this.
  3. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Thanks for reading and commenting! Starting in this part I am flashing back and some of the characters from my first story will be making appearances.

In the past….

Rolling over onto his side Luke wrapped his arm around the young woman lying in his bed beside him. Katia slept soundly, her back to him. He carefully slid her dark hair from her shoulder and pressed tender kisses to her bare shoulder and her upper back. He laid his cheek against the smooth skin, breathing deep with relief that she was back home with him.

Home…. Where was home really? Katia deserved a home. It was something that he wasn’t sure he could give her and it made him sad. They had discussed beginning to teach others, finding a place to do so, but what would be home? And to teach one needed students. All these thoughts weighed heavily on his mind as he snuggled against her. She sighed but did not awaken. It was for the best really, he thought, it had been a long few days with traveling back to Alliance space from Tatooine. There was no need to burden Katia with the musings of his overactive mind.

Pressing one last kiss to her cheek he slipped out of the bed, pulling on his robe and stepping out onto the terrace that overlooked the gardens at Alliance Headquarters. The water of the fountains outside babbled peacefully and even at this late hour speeders raced to and from across the sky, their lights shining up above. He stood for a long time, lost in thought and attempting to meditate to ease his mind.

“Luke?”

He turned and smiled. She walked toward him, tying the sash on her robe, shuffling sleepily. Reaching out he slid an arm around her waist, pulling her close.

“Why aren’t you sleeping?” she asked, her voice drowsy, as she laid her head against his chest, the top of her head fitting under his chin as he wrapped her in his embrace.

“Just thinking about starting the new temple. I didn’t want to wake you”, he replied.

“That’s not all that’s on your mind though”, she said.

He smiled ruefully. “Just wondering about what our lives will be like. It won’t be easy.”

“We both knew that when we started out on this course”, she said.

“I know. I just wish I could give you more, a real home….”

She lifted her head. “At the temple we’ll be teaching, sharing what we have learned. We’ll be doing what we were meant to do – what better home would there be? And besides, we’ll be together – that’s more than enough.”

Luke smiled. “So much more than enough”, he agreed, his anxiety decreasing. He stroked her hair gently. “You’re very wise Master Katia.”

She laughed softly. “I’m far from a Master.”

Luke shook his head. “Your students will be lucky to have a teacher like you. Just like I’m lucky to have you.” He kissed her, his lips moving over her face. “I love you so much.”

She took his face in her hands and kissed him once more. “And I love you. Come back to bed. Even Jedi Masters need their sleep.” She took his left hand and led him back to the bed.

“I’ve been thinking about how we might be able to find apprentices”, he said as they walked.

“How?”

“Something we read about in the archives of the Jedi Temple tonight. Someone really – Lor San Tekka.”

“The man from the Church of the Force we read about? Do you think he’d still be where the archives say after all these years? And that he would know anyone who has the force?” she asked, as they climbed back into bed.

“There’s only one way to find out”, he replied.

“Have you completed your task Lady Hex?”

“Yes Master. The information about the Bespin lightsaber and Kenobi’s lightsaber has been leaked.”

“Very good. Now we wait.”

“You really believe that Skywalker and Rieekan will take the bait?”

He leaned down in his chair and looked at her, his eyes beady. She bit her lip, fighting the urge to pull back. “Do you doubt me Lady Hex?”

“No Master. I am just eager to face Rieekan again. I know that I can defeat her.”

“Yet you could not do so when you last faced her and Katia Rieekan barely a Jedi then.”

Hex felt her cheeks grow warm as rage seethed within her. “Rest assured Master I will not stop until the blade of my lightsaber pierces her heart and she is dead.”

He sat back. “All in good time.”

Her eyes widened. “All in good time?”

“Yes, we wait for Skywalker and Rieekan to take the bait. Until then we do nothing. You will not strike against Rieekan until I command it. Is that clear Lady Hex?”

She ground her teeth together. “Yes Master.”

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  4. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Well, I did this backwards. :) I read this first so I'll have to go back and read the The First Apprentice. :) In the meantime, i like this one so far. The relationship between Luke and Katia seems interesting.

I'm curious to see how their journey looking for Lor San Tekka goes. Nice job.:)

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Great start =D= Lovely gentle scene contrasted with the ominous biding of time :eek: in the second scene.

6. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Thank you so much for reading and commenting! This story is proving a little challenging for me but it is starting to come together bit by bit in my mind. I really do appreciate you all talking the time to read and offer feedback :)

“Well it certainly is remote”, Katia said, peering out the window of the shuttle at the world of Dantooine a few days later.

“Know anything about it?” Luke asked.

“Not much. Just that my step-father mentioned an abandoned rebel base. The archives describe Lor San Tekka as an explorer. That rarely sounds like the type of person to remain in one place for very long.”

“Agreed, but if we start at his last known location we might find someone who knows him. Then again, after Order 66, it might have been beneficial for someone so interested in the Jedi to be somewhere where he’d attract as little attention as possible to himself.”

They landed on the edge of a remote farming community that had been mentioned in the temple archives. Walking down the road to a small village of farm houses they met two men.

“Excuse me. We’re looking for someone – he goes by the name of Lor San Tekka.”

The men’s eyes dropped to the lightsabers on Luke and Katia’s belts. “And who exactly is looking for Lor San Tekka?”

“Luke Skywalker.”

The men’s eyes widened as they exchanged glances. “Follow us”, they said, turning toward the village.

“Looks like we may have gotten lucky. Either that or it’s a trap”, Katia whispered.

“I don’t sense anything subversive”, he whispered back. “Let’s see what happens.”

They followed the men to a nondescript home and the men gestured for Luke and Katia to enter while they stood outside. They stepped cautiously into the house and looked around amazed, trinkets covered almost every available space.

“When the archives said this man was a collector they weren’t joking”, Katia said. She glanced at Luke and both turned around, sensing the presence of the man as he approached.

“I should certainly hope not”, the man said, a pleasant smile on his face. “I do take my work very seriously.”

“Lor San Tekka?” Luke asked.

The man nodded. “It is a great honor to make your acquaintance Luke Skywalker”, he said, reaching out a hand to shake his. “Your reputation proceeds you even to these far reaches of the galaxy. And who is your friend?”

“Katia Rieekan”, she said, extending her hand to him.

“Ah! The daughter of the great General Rieekan. I am an admirer of the ideals he upheld.”

Katia looked at Luke and he nodded. “He was a great man and a wonderful father. I’m lucky enough to have two fathers. You might be familiar with my birth father….”

“You’ll send word to those that you’ve met who are force sensitive then? That they should come to Devaron in a few weeks?” Luke asked. He and Katia sat enjoying the evening meal with Lor San Tekka.

“Those who I have encountered with the gift have been in hiding for years. I think it will come as a relief to them to find a place of sanctuary where they can learn to use their abilities.” He frowned.

“Something troubles you?” Luke asked.

“I received some information through my contacts in the collecting world. It seems that two very valuable artifacts have surfaced.”

“Artifacts?”

“Two lightsabers. One recovered at Bespin and the other smuggled off of the first Death Star before its destruction.”

“The first Death Star? That’s where my father died. That’s my father’s lightsaber!” Katia exclaimed.

“So it would appear my dear”, Lor San Tekka replied. “And the other at Bespin?”

“Mine”, Luke said, exchanging a glance with Katia. “And my father’s.”

“You were troubled by this? Why?” Katia asked.

“It might be a ruse designed to draw you out”, Lor San Tekka replied.

“Hex”, Katia said, looking to Luke.

“It could be”, he said. “If you receive any news about where the weapons are being held you’ll let us know?”

“Of course”, he replied.

After the meal Luke and Lor San Tekka stood outside, watching Katia laugh and converse with some of the little girls who lived in the village.

“Quite extraordinary, your friend. And to think she is the daughter of the great Obi-Wan Kenobi. I can tell she does him credit.”

Luke nodded. “She is extraordinary”, he replied, smiling as he watched a little girl shyly show Katia her doll.

“And quite important to you I daresay”, the other man added.

“We’re to marry”, Luke said with a sigh. “We just… haven’t seemed to have the time.”

“Well I could take care of that for you”, Lor San Tekka replied. “I am a vicar here in the village after all.”

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Woot, you have Lor's voice expertly. :cool: Great revelations and I think that they are right to be cautious about the artifacts.

8. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Thank you to everyone for reading and commenting and thanks to WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for the advice on how to proceed here!

“In the past attachment had no place in the life of a Jedi but the bonds of attachment: loyalty, devotion, fondness, selfless love can lead one on a path to the very tenets of the Jedi code – harmony and serenity. All of these you share with one another. The force has played a part in your coming together and that makes this a very special union indeed. May you never forget what joins you together for the rest of your lives…. And beyond”, Lor San Tekka concluded. He stepped away quietly to afford the couple their privacy.

Luke slid his arms around Katia’s waist as she laid her hands on his chest. He bent to kiss her, whispering, “Now you’re stuck with me.”

“I wouldn’t have it any other way”, she replied, smiling as his lips met hers.

It was evening when the shuttle docked in the hanger at Alliance Headquarters and Luke took Katia’s hand as they descended the ramp. They walked hand in hand smiling as if they shared a special secret between them. The brief, simple ceremony had been perfect – neither of them had wanted anything large or ostentatious. All they had wanted was each other. The only thing missing was Leia being there but Luke knew she would understand. She was far away from Alliance Headquarters with Han and Ben, visiting the allied worlds, and transmissions were spotty at best but he would send word to her as soon as he could. He knew she would approve.

As night began to fall over the base the corridors were relatively deserted and when the elevator reached the floor of Luke’s quarters and the doors opened he looked from right to left. Seeing the hallway was empty he reached down and lifted Katia into his arms, causing her to gasp in surprise.

“What are you doing?” she asked.

He smiled at her. “Carrying my wife.”

She smiled brightly and closed her eyes as he lowered his head to press his forehead against her own. “Who is so precious to me”, he whispered, pressing a kiss to her lips before he walked down the hallway holding her in his arms as they laughed softly together.

In the present….

Whose is this?”

It was a simple question without a simple answer. He stared at the bright yellow beam, as radiant as its owner had been. Had been? Should he think of her in terms of the past – he wasn’t entirely sure. He thought he had been until the girl who stood before him had arrived.

“Master Luke?”

She interrupted his musings and he fought the urge to correct her but held himself back. There was so much he still didn’t know, didn’t understand about what had happened to her. He was struggling to find the right way to proceed without upsetting her. He’d once heard that to jar the memory of someone who suffered from amnesia could be dangerous and he would not put her at risk. Guilt weighed heavy on him – but that was nothing new. He’d felt guilt for a long time now and for many reasons.

She stood abruptly and placed the lightsaber back into the chest with the bracelet and the ring. “I’m sorry Master Luke. It – it must be important to you. I didn’t mean to pry….”

“No – no”, he said, finding his voice. “It’s alright Rey. There’s no harm done. When you touched it – did you feel anything from it? Like when you touched the other lightsaber?” He’d been intrigued by what she had confessed had happened when she’d first touched the old saber. He’d wondered if it had called to her also.

“No, nothing like that”, she’d said, shivering a bit as she recalled the vision. “Just… I don’t know. Not a vision exactly. A feeling - but I can’t place it.”

He nodded. He almost seemed disappointed and she bit her lip wondering if this was some test she had not passed.

They stood in silence for a moment.

“Well…” she said, walking outside to escape the awkward moment.

“Rey”, he said, following her outside.

She turned.

“You had asked me a question? Whose lightsaber it….was?”

She hesitated and then nodded.

He could have just allowed her to walk away but it seemed unfair to lie. If he knew one thing in his life it was that the woman who had wielded that weapon was worth so much more than that. This was a question he could answer truthfully. And what was the truth? That it had belonged to a student? True. That it had belonged to his best friend? True. But the most truthful answer was the one he would share.

“It belonged to my wife.”

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent =D= The yumminess of the first scenes contrasted so poignantly with the present. You truly get a sense of a whole lot of story left to tell about what happened to Katia. :eek: :( It is heart-tugging to juxtapose the bliss of their joining in marriage to his musings on her loss. @};-

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  10. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015

In the present….

Whose is this?”

It was a simple question without a simple answer. He stared at the bright yellow beam, as radiant as its owner had been. Had been? Should he think of her in terms of the past – he wasn’t entirely sure. He thought he had been until the girl who stood before him had arrived.

“Master Luke?”

She interrupted his musings and he fought the urge to correct her but held himself back. There was so much he still didn’t know, didn’t understand about what had happened to her. He was struggling to find the right way to proceed without upsetting her. He’d once heard that to jar the memory of someone who suffered from amnesia could be dangerous and he would not put her at risk. Guilt weighed heavy on him – but that was nothing new. He’d felt guilt for a long time now and for many reasons.

She stood abruptly and placed the lightsaber back into the chest with the bracelet and the ring. “I’m sorry Master Luke. It – it must be important to you. I didn’t mean to pry….”

“No – no”, he said, finding his voice. “It’s alright Rey. There’s no harm done. When you touched it – did you feel anything from it? Like when you touched the other lightsaber?” He’d been intrigued by what she had confessed had happened when she’d first touched the old saber. He’d wondered if it had called to her also.

“No, nothing like that”, she’d said, shivering a bit as she recalled the vision. “Just… I don’t know. Not a vision exactly. A feeling - but I can’t place it.”

He nodded. He almost seemed disappointed and she bit her lip wondering if this was some test she had not passed.

They stood in silence for a moment.

“Well…” she said, walking outside to escape the awkward moment.

“Rey”, he said, following her outside.

She turned.

“You had asked me a question? Whose lightsaber it….was?”

She hesitated and then nodded.

He could have just allowed her to walk away but it seemed unfair to lie. If he knew one thing in his life it was that the woman who had wielded that weapon was worth so much more than that. This was a question he could answer truthfully. And what was the truth? That it had belonged to a student? True. That it had belonged to his best friend? True. But the most truthful answer was the one he would share.

“It belonged to my wife.”

“Y-your wife”, she stammered. “I – I…”

Luke waited, holding his breath, wondering if this would draw a reaction from her, jar her memory in some way.

“Is she….” She couldn’t bring herself to say the words. She had grown fond of her mentor and his eyes often looked sad. Perhaps this was the reason why.

“I…. lost her”, he said.

“I’m so sorry”, she whispered.

He nodded. “I know”, he said, forcing his expression to remain as calm as possible despite the breaking of his heart. “Go on and work on your meditations. I’ll be along in a moment.”

She nodded and turned away, walking to a place overlooking the sea where she liked to sit and meditate. He turned and went back into the hut and only then did he allow himself to be overcome by his emotions. He had thought that he had no more tears to cry, that he had cried enough to last two lifetimes. He could not remember how many nights he would wake in tears, his sleep constantly interrupted by the intensity of loss.

How her memory had been so affected was a mystery. It could be a result of trauma or something else entirely. She had been five years old – surely old enough to remember her father and her mother. She had been a bright, inquisitive, cheerful little girl and knowledgeable. Her lack of recognition left him at a loss. She did not even know her real name.

She had said she had been left on Jakku – he and Ben had searched there for her but to no avail. He had been unable to sense her presence and hadn’t found her, yet that was where she had been all along. Guilt ate at his gut like a living thing…. And Ben…. She had encountered him, fought with him. Did he know the little five year old girl he’d once known was her?

Luke was loathe to attempt to invade her mind but he saw no other option. He must avoid upsetting her and frightening her at all costs. He would have to probe carefully, without making her aware. He knew it was invasive but he had no choice.

Later that evening he stood outside the hut where she slept. Reaching out he probed her mind, being careful to be as gentle as possible, to just skim the surface to see if there was an answer to her lack of memory.

The barrier was there…. Strong…. Luke was surprised at how strong. This was not ordinary and though he had no idea what exactly had happened to her he did not believe the block was caused entirely by trauma. No, this was a force related block. As he continued to probe he felt a presence within her mind. Every individual had a unique signature within the force although hers had been muted by whatever had been done here.

This presence, this signature, was one he knew very well. He pulled back stunned by the presence of that force signature and by the strength of the barrier that had undoubtedly been placed in the girl’s mind. He’d known the one who placed the barrier was strong in the force but the strength of that barrier still surprised him. He wasn’t sure he could break the bonds that had been placed there. He sat down on the floor outside the hut more confused than ever.

It was Katia’s presence he could sense within Rey’s mind – the signature attached to the barrier there. A barrier Katia had placed. Katia had wiped Rey’s memory. The realization stunned him. What would cause her to do such a thing?

In the past…

“No, don’t move”, Katia whispered, wrapping her arms around him to hold him to her.

“I’ll crush you”, he said, kissing her lips softly.

“No”, she breathed. “Stay close to me.”

He shifted slightly so his full weight wasn’t on her and laid his head on her shoulder. He could feel her fingers caressing his hair and her lips moving gently at his temple. He opened his eyes to look at her, the dim lights of the room playing across her features. He wanted to remember this night forever – no matter where their lives took them, or how busy they became teaching and reestablishing a Jedi Temple, this moment would be theirs.

“I’ll always be close to you”, he said, pulling her into his arms and kissing her again. “Always.”

She smiled and snuggled close to him, falling asleep. He stayed awake for a little while, watching her sleep before he himself succumbed to slumber.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  11. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    A barrier in Rey´s mind put there by her mother to protect her?

:eek:

It sounds possible that a mother would do that to her own child under dire circumstances. I hope you will lift the point of mystery at one point!

JD1975 likes this.
  12. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Here is a bit more... Thanks for reading and sharing your comments!

In the present…

Forgive me….

The woman knelt before her, her eyes bright with tears that she was trying to hide. They were pretty eyes, kind eyes. There was a scar that ran across her collarbone, visible as her shirt dipped when she bent down.

Forgive me...

After the woman said those words everything seemed to go black.

“NO!” Rey called out, sitting up. She looked around her, realizing she was sitting on her sleeping pallet on the floor in her hut on Ahch-to.

It had been a dream. She rubbed her eyes and breathed deep. She felt uneasy, the dream troubling her, the woman she had seen remaining in her thoughts even as she tried to clear her mind and go back to sleep. She shook her head to clear it and closed her eyes. “It was just a dream”, she whispered, trying to convince herself that that was only what it was.

The following morning…

Luke sat down beside Rey as she ate her breakfast. He noticed that she seemed to have not slept well but he said nothing. He laid a lightsaber down in front of her.

She looked at him, eyebrows raised. “Another one? A lot of these lying around here aren’t there?”

Luke smiled. “This one is special also. It belonged to my first mentor and my wife’s father.” He watched her curiously, trying to see if the mention of Katia or Obi-Wan affected her before continuing. “I told you how I lost my father’s lightsaber and this one was lost when my mentor was killed by my father on the first Darth Star.”

“Vader”, she said.

He nodded. “I think it’s time you heard the story of how Katia and I retrieved these lightsabers.” He had hoped that by sharing this story it might spark something within her. He might not be able to break the bonds surrounding Rey’s mind but she was strong with a deep heritage in the force. Her power might eventually break through the bonds Katia had placed.

At the mention of the name Rey started a bit. Luke watched her carefully. She wrinkled her brow as if deep in thought. “Katia?”

“My wife”, he said softly, the familiar feeling of anguish threatening to take hold again.

Rey saw the change in him, felt the pain of loss as if it were her own. She laid her hand on his arm. “You must have loved her very much”, she whispered. It was clear to her by the way he looked when he mentioned her but it was more than that. It was as if she knew this with every fiber of her being.

“She…” he stopped and breathed deeply to compose himself before beginning again. “She was everything to me.” He stared off into the distance for a moment before turning back and beginning. “It was shortly after we were married that a man named Lor San Tekka notified us as to the whereabouts of these lightsabers….”

Katia yawned as she tied the sash on her robe and stepped out of the bedroom to look for Luke. He’d already been awake when she woke. She spotted him sitting on the couch, eyes closed, meditating. She walked quietly, lest she disturb him. Suddenly his arm reached out and he pulled her down into his lap causing her to yelp with surprise.

He smiled, kissing her thoroughly. “Good morning”, he whispered, brushing back some strands of her hair.

“Good morning”, she replied, looping her arms around his neck, her eyes drifting closed as she moved to kiss him again.

The ping of the datapad that rested on the table in front of them interrupted. Luke reached out an arm and picked it up. “It’s a message from Lor San Tekka.” He frowned as he read it.

“What does it say?” Katia asked.

“It says our father’s lightsabers are in the possession of Gamrah.”

“Who is Gamrah? Do you know him?” she asked.

“It isn’t a he – it’s a she. Gamrah is a Hutt on Tatooine. She is a contemporary of Jabba the Hutt.”

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Super posts JD1975 =D= Touching poignancy linking the past with the present. Intriguing about the memory block - must have been necessary at the time.

Definitely a story here about what happened to Katia :eek: :(

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  14. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Thanks for reading and commenting - here is a bit more :)

“You will go to Tatooine with the Stormtroopers and there you will wait for Skywalker and Rieekan.”

Hex hummed with impatience. “Yes, Master.”

“Skywalker and Rieekan will be brought to me.”

Her eyes widened. “I… I don’t understand…. I thought they were to be destroyed.”

“I told you that no move would be made until I commanded it, didn’t I?”

“With all due respect Master…. What has changed? If it is something I should be aware of going into this mission….”

“With all due respect it is I who give the orders here”, he said, leaning down in his seat and looking at her with beady eyes.

“Yes Master”, she said, biting the inside of her cheek until she drew blood.

“But I will tell you”, he said. “There is something about Skywalker’s apprentice. I am not sure what it is but I want to know before I kill her. I will find out - whether it be by way of her or Skywalker.”

“Do you mean to turn her my Master?” Hex felt a wave of jealousy and fear that Rieekan would take her place at his side and if that were to happen her fate would be grim indeed.

He chuckled. “I hadn’t thought of that. Imagine Skywalker if that were to occur…. You said yourself that his feelings for her were clear when last you encountered them….”

Hex’s stomach clenched with anxiety and the possibility that she had inadvertently given her master the idea of replacing her with Rieekan. That anxiety was quickly replaced with deep anger and rage that she pushed down within her. How dare he….

“Unfortunately”, he continued. “I do not believe that turning Rieekan is possible. I can sense that much from afar. She grows stronger. There is something…. A discovery she has made…an awakening perhaps. I want to know what that is. Bring them to me… alive.”

She bowed and turned to leave.

“And then Lady Hex”, he continued, causing her to stop dead in her tracks. “You and I will discuss your future.”

A chill danced down her spine, a deep sense of foreboding coming over her.

“Do not fail”, he added.

She forced her back to remain straight and her voice to speak without trembling. “Yes, Master”, she said, continuing to walk.

She exited the room and stopped to lean against the wall, breathing deep to quell her panic. Whether she succeeded or not was inconsequential. Her days as the dark lord’s apprentice were numbered, she could feel that. He had been displeased at her inability to defeat Rieekan the first time they’d met and her sharp tongue had sealed her fate. She could sense that her master was looking away from her and to someone else. At first she’d thought it was Rieekan but if not Rieekan then who?

Whether she failed or succeeded on this mission mattered not. Her fate would be the same. And if that was the case then why obey? What was to stop her from killing Rieekan and at least having that taste of victory?

She smiled to herself. “Nothing”, she decided. “Nothing.”

A few days later….

“The bait has been taken. Skywalker and Rieekan are requesting a meeting with you to discuss the lightsabers you have acquired”, Hex said, glancing at the datapad that Gamrah’s majordomo delivered before he left the room. “My master thanks you for your assistance.”

Gamrah chuckled before speaking in Huttese that was translated by way of Hex’s imperial translation device. “With pleasure. Skywalker deserves whatever your master plans for him – because of him my Jabba is no more and I’m living in this hovel with only my majordomo to serve me. The fee your master is paying me will buy me more servants.”

“It would have”, Hex replied, drawing her lightsaber. “It’s too bad you won’t live to spend it.” She turned, slashing Gamrah across the throat.

As the Hutt fell lifeless to the ground her majordomo rushed in. Hex waved her hand in front of him causing him to grip his throat. He gasped and choked for breath before collapsing to the floor.

Hex picked up the datapad and typed in the message to Skywalker and Rieekan transmitting the location of where Gamrah was supposed to meet them. Killing Gamrah hadn’t been part of her master’s plan but she was operating solely independently now.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb and very natural place to put that info about what the adversaries and schemers are up to.

16. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Here is a bit more. Thank you for reading and commenting - it is most appreciated!

It was funny, Luke reflected, how life kept pulling him back to Tatooine – a place he had thought he would be leaving forever all those years ago. His life and Katia’s lives were inextricably tied to this place though. Katia – Luke looked at her now as they stepped off of the ship and onto the meeting place where they were to meet Gamrah. He could feel her anticipation at the prospect of acquiring her father’s lightsaber but he also felt a nagging feeling of unease. They knew this was a risky endeavor but the danger felt palpable.

On a large rock in the middle of the deserted landscape sat a cloth bag. Katia hurried over to it. Before she could touch it Luke grabbed her elbow. “Wait! Let’s be careful. Let me.”

He could feel Katia’s impatience – something she would normally not allow herself to feel. He understood how she felt but he didn’t want that impatience to put them at risk. Using his mechanical hand he lifted the bag lest it was booby trapped. Katia’s eyes widened as she heard the heavy metal objects clank inside. Opening the bag carefully he spilled out the contents, the two lightsabers dropping to the floor.

Luke froze for a moment as he stared at his old lightsaber. The last time he had held it had been on Bespin – and the hand that had wielded it was gone now. He flexed his mechanical hand, feeling for the first time in years the phantom pain that had accompanied the loss of his hand those years ago. He reached for it and examined it, none the worse for wear given what it had been through.

Katia bent and picked up her father’s lightsaber, holding it reverently, cradled in both her hands as she stood. “My father’s….”she breathed.

“Something’s wrong”, Luke said, looking around. “Gamrah isn’t here. Why would these have been left out in the open? It’s a ….”

“A trap?” Hex finished, emerging from behind a large rock with a coterie of Stormtroopers.

“You!” Katia exclaimed staring at the dark one she had fought in the past.

“Me”, Hex said, grinning evilly. “You and I have some unfinished business. Take care of Skywalker”, she directed the Stormtroopers. “Rieekan is mine.” She ignited her lightsaber.

Luke drew first, intent on not being separated from Katia but the number of troopers was large and they swarmed as they began firing, effectively parting him from Katia as he began deflecting blaster bolts. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Katia clip her father’s lightsaber to her belt before drawing her own to begin the duel with Hex.

A prickle of unease crept up Hex’s spine as she fought with Katia. Her master had been right. Rieekan had grown stronger. Each blow she delivered was deftly defended and the Jedi’s own swings were sure and strong, pushing her back. Rieekan was focused, sure of herself, but not arrogant – there was a centeredness to her that Hex sensed; as if in the storm of the attack Rieekan was grounded, calm. It infuriated her. As the two women’s lightsabers clashed Hex forced Katia toward the side of a cliff a few yards away from where their fight had first begun. If she could not defeat Rieekan one way she would do so in another.

They separated, not far from the edge of the precipice before Hex came at her again swinging wildly and growling in anger. Katia watched as the color of her eyes shifted to a burning red. Hex’s anger would be her undoing, Katia knew. In her fury and her desire to kill she was reckless and unfocused and as they came closer to the edge of the cliff that Hex was intent on forcing Katia off she herself slipped, her lightsaber falling as she clutched in vain at the sand, dropping with a scream into the dark cavern below.

Clipping her lightsaber to her belt along with her father’s Katia moved to the edge, kneeling to see if the woman had managed to grab hold of the side of the rock wall so that she could pull her back but she was nowhere to be seen. At that moment the ground beneath Katia’s feet collapsed and she fell.

Her stomach turned in the seconds following the drop and she squeezed her eyes tight before her descent was halted by someone grabbing her hand. She opened her eyes and looked up to see Luke, holding her hand.

The force had moved him – it was the only explanation for how he had gotten to the cliff so quickly when he’d seen Katia going over. His heart was in his throat as he pulled her up. She glanced behind her at the darkness yawning beneath her and began to tremble. “Don’t look down!” he said. “Can you give me your other hand?”

She swung up with her free hand to grab his other one and he pulled, closing his eyes and using the force to help lift her up. When he pulled her to safety they sat together on the edge of the cliff, bodies of Stormtroopers around them. He held her tightly – trembling himself now at how close he had come to losing her.

Katia sat silently watching Luke as he sat at the controls, maneuvering the ship away from Tatooine. He stared straight ahead, his expression brooding.

“I know you’re upset but I couldn’t just let this go –“

He switched the controls to autopilot now that they were out of the atmosphere and turned to her. “You can’t put yourself at risk like that. You’re too important.”

“Well, in the grand scheme of things….” She began.

“Let me rephrase that – you’re too important to me. And your father wouldn’t have wanted you to put yourself at risk for it either.”

“I know that”, she said, reaching over and taking his hand. “I know that it was a big risk for a piece of metal and crystal but it… it’s a part of my father. I have his presence with me and the recordings but this… this makes him real to me. He… he is my family. I… I just wanted to have something that was his. I’m sorry….” Tears shone in her eyes and Luke felt the anxiety drain from him as he took her into his arms and held her close.

“I’m sorry too” he whispered. “It’s alright. I understand.”

Luke finished the tale, his eyes looking off in the direction of the sea, lost in the past. Rey’s voice interrupted. “But I don’t understand.”

He turned back to her.

“You had your father’s lightsaber but I found it in Maz Kanata’s castle. How did she get it?”

He swallowed hard, debating. Her brow furrowed at his hesitation and she realized he was holding back. “What is it?” she asked.

“I….I don’t want to see you hurt” he replied.

“But what could this have to do with me-“she froze, her eyes widening. “Does it have something to do with me? You know something!”

He looked like he was about to say something but stopped. She rose, disappointment plain on her face. “Why won’t you tell me?” she whispered, turning and walking away.

Why didn’t you tell me? He remembered whispering that question to Obi-Wan onboard the Falcon as they had fled Bespin.

He watched as she sat on a large rock in the distance and pulled her knees up to her chest, wrapping her arms around her legs before she lowered her head. He stood and walked over to her. He did not want to see her hurt but she was hurting all the same. Perhaps this was the only way, perhaps if he told her a bit more she might remember…. He did want her to remember, for herself, and for him. To regain part of what they had both lost and perhaps more… for somewhere locked in her memory might be the answer to what happened to Katia.

“Maz Kanata had the lightsaber”, he began as she lifted her head toward the sound of his voice. “Because I gave it to her.”

Rey’s eyes widened. “You – gave it to her?” she asked incredulously. “But why?”

“It was a payment so to speak”, he said. “A debt I… owed her.”

“I don’t understand”, she repeated. “What debt could you have possibly owed her?”

She knew Maz was good-hearted but she was still a pirate. What dealings could the Jedi master have had with her?

“She provided shelter to… to something very precious to me.”

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Terrific action and revelations.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  18. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Just a short part this time - it seemed right to end this section with that last line. :)

Luke stood at the end of the cliff, eyes closed. The breeze coming in from the sea was cool, refreshing, calming and peaceful. He had sent Rey to have supper and gone off to mediate alone before telling her the rest…. About his debt to Maz.

His thoughts drifted to his wife, the memories coming unlocked one by one, memories he had kept at bay for so long as they were too painful. Now with Rey’s presence memories and visions of the past flooded his consciousness and no matter how he tried he found that he couldn’t suppress them any longer….

He landed the x-wing in its usual spot and climbed out, happy to be back at the temple. He looked forward to continuing to teach the students and to seeing Katia. Days felt like weeks when he was not around her but the separation had been necessary. He had needed to speak with Lor San Tekka about new students and she had stayed to continue lessons and watch over the temple.

As he climbed down and pulled off his helmet Artoo lowered himself to the ground. Luke looked around, surprised to not see Katia waiting for him. Instead he saw one of the apprentices, a teenager by the name of Prater hurrying toward him. The boy looked worried and Luke’s heart clenched. Something was wrong…

“Master”, he said. “Master Katia left the temple and hasn’t returned. She told us to stay behind and we’re afraid she might be in trouble.”

Luke frowned. “Did she say where she was going?”

“No. She received a message about someone wanting to meet her.”

“Meet her?” Luke opened his mind, allowing his consciousness to skim the surface of Devaron like a quick moving speeder. He sensed Katia’s presence immediately. Katia and…. But that was impossible… surely she must be dead….

“I know where she is”, he said, tugging off his flight suit. “Stay here. I’ll find her.”

Freed from the suit he pulled his lightsaber from his belt and hurried away.

“I’m surprised you came”, Hex hissed, a triumphant grin spreading across her face. “It could have been a trap.”

“I knew it was you”, Katia replied, staring at the darksider. “How did you survive the fall?”

“I struck a ledge on my way down and hit my head. It knocked me out. When I woke you and Skywalker were gone. So I retreated, honing my skills until the time was right. Now, after all this time I have found you.”

“I won’t let you destroy what Luke has worked for”, Katia said, her voice even.

Hex chuckled. “I could care less. My main objective is to destroy you”, she ignited the red blade of her lightsaber. She struck first as Katia ignited her own blade and blocked the strikes. The attack came fast and furious in a whirlwind of slashes and parries until Hex fell to the ground and rolled clear. She stood up and looked at Katia and her eyes narrowed.

“There is… something”, she said as the two women circled one another, each waiting for the other to strike. “Something… different.”

Katia’s brow furrowed but she said nothing in return. Hex continued to look at her as they walked. She looked puzzled herself until a slow smile began to spread across her face and she began to laugh. “Oh, this is perfect. Too perfect.”

Katia stopped and stared at her.

“You don’t know, do you?” Hex laughed. “You haven’t sensed it yet.”

Katia’s expression changed, lost its focus.

Hex’s eyes narrowed as she stared at Katia. Her eyes cold and evil. “You’re carrying Skywalker’s brat.”

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    =D= Definitely JD, the place to end it!! =D= Wow.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  20. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Some folk out there in the galaxy are definitely evil.

*kicks a certain person

21. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Katia took a step back, shocked. They had been so busy, so focused on the new temple she hadn’t realized…. Her free hand slid to her stomach as Hex continued to gloat. Everything fell away for a moment, becoming hazy, until all she heard was the throbbing of a tiny heartbeat.

Hex continued to cackle, nearly doubled over, with glee. That moment would be her undoing because a moment was all it took for Katia to regain her focus. She pushed her fear and anger away. She would not let any harm come to this child.

Lifting her lightsaber she pulled it back, extending her free hand in front of her and pointing two fingers at Hex. The darksider stopped laughing and looked puzzled. Katia smiled inwardly. Hex did not know this form, but she did. She had learned it from her father. This form focused on defense and it was how her father had won the duel with Darth Vader on Mustafar. She would use it now to defend his grandchild.

Hex came at her again and again as Katia blocked each blow neatly, moving quickly, but limiting her movements and allowing Hex to expend her energy. Hex’s moves became more erratic and reckless as she failed to penetrate Katia’s defense and Katia could see that the other woman was beginning to tire. Seeing an opening to strike, Katia swung wide striking Hex’s arm and burning her. Yelling with pain, Hex stepped back, clutching the wound, her lightsaber falling to the ground.

“Katia!”

Katia turned then, spotting Luke racing towards them. The sound of engines caused her to turn back and she saw Hex’s ship lifting off the ground. She had escaped, but right now Katia’s thoughts were elsewhere.

She hurried over, closing the distance between her and Luke, and he pulled her into his arms. She laid her head against his chest, closing her eyes and reveling in the warmth and security of his embrace.

“Are you alright?” he asked, his voice anxious.

She lifted her head. “Yes”, she said. “But I have something to tell you.”

That night, in their room, they lay together in the dark and quiet, holding each other. Both were stunned and spent by the day’s events and the tiny presence that now loomed so large in their thoughts.

“You’ve said there are always two”, Katia began, her voice a whisper in the darkness. “Do you think Hex will tell her master?”

Luke thought a moment. “Something is odd about her. She has a master or had one, but there is something solitary about her. I think she’s alone. She seems only focused on one thing.”

“Getting even with me.”

“Unfortunately. We’ll be on guard”, Luke said, hugging her tightly against him.

Luke moved his left hand, sliding it over her abdomen and resting it there. She looked up at him, her eyes anxious. When she had revealed the news of the child earlier he had been as stunned as she. They hadn’t discussed children and she wasn’t sure how he would react.

He smiled, the moonlight from the window playing over his face and Katia felt herself relax. “We’re going to have a baby”, he said.

Katia’s eyes welled at the joy she saw in his smile. “We – we never talked about it… I wasn’t sure…”

He stopped her midsentence. “Do you remember your father’s recording? He said you were a gift to him and your mother. Well that’s exactly what this baby is. A gift to you and me.”

She smiled as he stroked the tears from her cheeks and bent to kiss her tenderly before holding her close again. They were quiet for a long time and Luke thought she was asleep.

“Will it be alright?” she whispered.

He stroked her back gently. “It will”, he said. “We’ll see to that. Sleep now, you need to rest.”

He held her as she dozed. He understood her anxieties, for he shared them, but he would not let Hex or anyone else take any more of this moment away from them and as he stared down at his sleeping wife he was filled with a deep sense of happiness and peace.

Happiness and peace...

Luke had found they were both fleeting. He stared out at the ocean before he turned his head slightly. He could feel her presence before she spoke.

“Come sit, Rey”, he said, gesturing to a large boulder that sat nearby. When they were both seated he looked out at the water for several moments before speaking.

“It’s time I told you about how Maz Kanata came to have my father’s lightsaber”, he said.

“You said you owed her a debt. That she had given shelter to something precious to you”, she replied. “Was – was it Katia?”

“Katia”, he nodded, answering in the affirmative. “And someone else.”

“I don’t understand” she said, confused.

“You will”, he said.

It was early morning, very early, too early really, the sun barely close to inching over the horizon when he woke. He rolled over wrapping his arm around Katia, pressing against her soft skin while she still slept. His hand slid down to gently rest on her abdomen now ripe with child. He smiled as he felt the baby move within her, his fingers gently stroking through her sleeping gown. He felt Katia stir and he bent his head, his lips moving softly against her neck. She sighed and rolled over onto her back, her eyes still closed, and wrapped her arms around him pulling her to him.

His lips met hers and when the kiss ended he pressed his forehead to hers and she opened her eyes. He grinned, his eyes alight with happiness. It made her heart sing, to see him so happy. He brushed her hair back and pressed kisses to her skin, moving to kiss her bare shoulder.

“You’re so beautiful”, he whispered.

“I don’t think I’m much to look at right now”, she said, smiling.

He lifted his head to kiss her again. “That’s not true. You’re more beautiful than ever.” It wasn’t a lie told out of love. She glowed with the pregnancy. There was a radiance about her and she was cheerful and energetic. Carrying the little one clearly agreed with her.

The coming child was a source of great joy, not only for them, but for all the students as well. Everyone was excited and eager to meet the baby.

“Are you sure you want me to come with you? I don’t want to be a burden right now.”

“We won’t be gone long – just a day or two”, he replied. They would be making the trip to see their old friend Lor San Tekka and some of their advanced students would be watching over the temple while they were gone. He was confident that all would be well. He would be in almost constant communication with the temple. “And you’re no burden.” He stroked her cheek. “Are you sure you feel up to it? I don’t want to leave you right now, but….”

“I feel fine”, she said, sitting up and wrapping her arms around his neck. “I think there’s still a few more weeks to go. If you feel it’s alright to leave the temple I want to be with you.”

“Then you will”, he said, as the sun’s glow began to light the horizon. “I’ll start breakfast. You stay here a little longer.”

“You don’t have to”, she said.

“I want to”, he replied, kissing her nose. There were so few luxuries he could give her and although Katia constantly reminded him that she needed none of those – only him – it felt good to do these things for her.

She smiled and relented, laying back down as he left the room. Her thoughts shifted to the baby she carried within her and she stroked her abdomen; excited at the prospect of being able to see and hold her baby in a few weeks. She smiled, humming softly as she felt the child relax within her – probably going to sleep again, she thought, as she began to doze herself. She started as a cramp settled low in her abdomen. It was gone as quickly as it had come and no more returned. Probably just false labor, she decided, drifting off again for a last few moments of sleep, her hand resting on her belly.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Events with Hex - very ominous still. The personal front is all sweetness. Very poignant reflection there in the present moment that happiness and peace are fleeting. @};-

23. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Thank you for continuing to follow this story! :)

As they left the planet’s atmosphere Luke glanced over at Katia who sat quietly beside him, intent on the datapad she held in her hands.

“Still looking at names?” he asked, trying to suppress a chuckle.

Katia had been agonizing over names for months. They had decided against naming the child after any of their parents, not wanting their child to feel burdened to live up to their legacies. He wasn’t terribly concerned about a name for the child – the way they raised the baby, the person it would grow into was more important than its name – just as long as it sounded fine. Katia, however, felt differently.

“Names are powerful”, she said. “The meaning is important – or it should be. All names have meaning depending on the culture and world.”

“Even ours?”

“Especially ours. If you look through the cultural databases in the old senate archives it tells the meanings of many names from many different worlds. Millions of names are here. Including ours.”

Luke focused on the stars ahead and shrugged. “Luke seems pretty straightforward to me.”

“It’s not. Luke means one who gives light.”

She smiled in satisfaction as her statement gave Luke pause.

“Could be a coincidence. My mother couldn’t have known what was going to happen when she named me.”

Katia turned back to the datapad, a smug grin on her face.

“What about your name?”

“Katia? It means pure.”

Luke paused again, conceding defeat. “Well… maybe there is something to it after all.”

Katia laughed.

The flight was uneventful until about half-way through their journey when a ship entered into range behind them and a shot of a laser cannon barely missed their left side.

“Someone’s firing at us?” Katia asked incredulously.

“Hold on!” Luke said, beginning evasive maneuvers. They were at a disadvantage. His x-wing would have been easier to maneuver and quicker and it had weapons. This shuttle had none.

The craft behind them continued to fire, a blast glancing off one of their engines.

“Are we damaged?” Katia asked, her voice anxious.

“No, but I think I can make whoever it is think we are”, Luke said. They had just passed a planet with a small moon and Luke guided the shuttle toward the surface, feigning damage while deftly avoiding the continued salvos.

“Hold on tight!” he said to Katia as he skimmed the surface, pretending they were about to crash land. At the last second he pulled up, narrowly avoiding a large boulder on the surface of the moon. The other pilot, so intent on their destruction was not so lucky. His craft glanced the boulder before dropping to their surface with a hard crash. Its momentum caused it to skid along the surface of the moon, damaged and unable to give further pursuit.

Luke pulled up, leaving the moon. “I’m moving to light speed to get us out of here”, Luke said.

Once they were clear Luke turned to Katia. She was gripping the seat tightly with one hand while the other rested on her abdomen. Her brow furrowed in discomfort.

Luke turned away from the controls and moved to her side. “What is it? Are you alright?”

She opened her eyes and grabbed his hand. Her eyes were worried. “I’m sorry. I thought we had more time. I think… the baby is coming.”

Luke’s eyes widened, his heart racing. He fought for calm. Katia and the baby were all that mattered right now.

“It’ll be alright”, he said, turning to the navigation computer, continuing to hold Katia’s hand with his free one. “There’s a system close by. We can stop and get help. Takodana”, he said, remembering what Han had told him about the planet. “We’ll stop there.”

Holding her hand Luke slid an arm around Katia’s waist as he guided her down the thoroughfare that led to the entrance to the castle. Katia managed to look up at the flags displayed, her head turning to continue to look at the huge statue as they passed on their way.

“What is this place?” she asked.

“Don’t worry, it’s alright. Han told me about this place.”

“Great – now I am worried”, she said. She didn’t know Luke’s brother-in-law that well, and while she knew he had a good heart Leia had joked to her about her husband’s reckless streak.

Luke opened the door and they froze, gazing at a sea of creatives from every corner of the galaxy. In turn the entire group turned to look at them. Somewhere a mug of some noxious drink crashed to the floor.

“It makes the Mos Eisley cantina look like a meeting of Alliance generals”, she whispered.

“Get back to your drinks!” a voice bellowed.

Luke and Katia looked up to spot a small individual make her way through the crowd. She had orange skin and wore large goggles before her eyes. Despite her small statue everyone obeyed, going back to their conversations.

“And who might you be?” she asked, narrowing her eyes at the two of them.

“I’m Luke Skywalker” he said.

The room fell silent again except for the sound of a plate crashing to the floor.

“In another time and place this might be funny”, Katia whispered.

“I was told by Han Solo that you often provide shelter to those in need.”

“Han Solo?” she asked, her eyes narrowing.

“Actually it might have been Chewbacca”, Luke said, remembering that Han mentioned Maz having a soft spot for him.

A smile spread across Maz’s face and she turned back to the silent crowd who immediately went back to their drinks and conversation once more.

“What is it you need Luke Skywalker?” she asked.

“My wife. She-“

Before Luke could continue another pain gripped Katia and had it not been for Luke’s support she would have fallen as she winced and cried out. Maz’s face became immediately concerned.

“Come with me”, she said, guiding them through the maze of bodies.

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Super fun discussion about names and always happy to meet up with the unique Maz. :cool: =D=

25. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Here is a bit more.

Luke poured water from a ewer into a bowl and dampened a length of cloth, using it to wipe the sweat from Katia’s face. Afterwards he rubbed her back, cradling her close to him.

“Better?” he asked. The room that Maz had shown them to was small but clean and though Maz had said there was no medic on the premises Luke was grateful. She had left them alone telling him to call for her if they needed anything.

Before Katia could answer another pain gripped her and her body tensed. She grabbed hold of Luke’s arm tightly, crying out and whimpering. She sobbed his name as the pain ceased. Katia’s mother had been a Jedi healer and later a civilian medic and she had delivered several babies. Katia knew what to do, but now he felt the fear rolling off of her in waves.

“Katia, Katia”, he said, brushing her hair back and holding her face to look at him. “Listen to me”, he whispered, laying his forehead against her. “Focus, breathe.” The sound of his voice was soothing and she breathed deep, listening, calming herself and finding her center. “Shhh…. That’s it. Peaceful….”

When she opened her eyes and he could feel her fear abate he gave a sigh of relief.

“It’s almost here”, she breathed. “It – it won’t be long….”

“What do I do? Tell me what to do.”

“Just hold me”, she whispered.

As the next contraction hit Luke moved to sit beside her, cradling her in his arms from behind so that his chest supported her. He pressed a kiss into her hair and whispered calming words, never in his life feeling so helpless.

Maz sat down the hall, resisting the urge to stay by the door, giving the couple their privacy. When the piercing cries of the infant were heard, she released a breath that she didn’t realize she was holding, stood up and stepped over to the bar. “See that Skywalker gets whatever he needs”, she told the barkeep before moving back toward the crowd of guests that inhabited the castle.

Luke wiped the baby clean, hurrying to wrap her in a piece of his robe that he’d cut off lest she become chilled. He grinned as he carefully lifted her into his arms before handing her over to Katia. Katia beamed as she took the baby in her arms, happy tears escaping her eyes as she held her daughter close.

Luke moved to sit beside Katia once more as they looked down at the baby, then Katia turned to look at him. Nothing was said but Luke could feel every emotion – love, gratitude and happiness. As he bent to kiss her he realized that right there, at that moment, he had never felt more loved in his entire life.

A knocking at the door woke him. He blinked and lifted his head, spotting Katia and the baby dozing next to him. Pressing a kiss to Katia’s forehead he stood and stretched, walking to the door and opening it a crack.

Maz’s bartender stood on the other side. “Maz wanted me to bring food and water for you. She said anything you need, just ask”, the hulking creature said in a deep voice.

Luke took the tray of food. “Please tell Maz we are most grateful for her hospitality”, Luke said.

Luke closed the door and turned back to see Katia awake. “Are you hungry?” he asked.

“Starving”, she replied.

“Let me”, he said, reaching for his daughter.

He smiled down at the tiny girl, holding her close while Katia ate. After contemplating the infant for several minutes he turned to Katia. “She’s strong”, he said. He did not just mean physically. The force was with this child.

Katia nodded. “I felt it”, she said, smiling.

“She needs a name”, he said, sitting beside her on the bed. All their talk of names, the joking on the shuttle just before the attack, it all seemed so much more important now with the baby here.

“There was one name I saw just before we were fired upon”, she said. “I liked it.”

“What was it?” he asked.

“Kira.”

“Kira”, he whispered, testing the name. “What does it mean?”

“Ray… of light”, she said.

He thought for a moment before turning back to the baby. “Then Kira you are”, he said.

Kira yawned in response and they laughed together.

“You owe me nothing”, Maz said as she and Luke stood outside the castle.

Luke looked at Katia, standing beside the shuttle waiting for him as she cradled Kira in her arms, looking down at the baby with adoration.

“On the contrary I think I owe you a great deal”, he said, handing her the light saber. “This belonged to my father before me. I’d taken to carrying it with me. I guess I knew I’d need it someday. I wouldn’t want it to fall into the wrong hands, but it might be valuable for parts….”

“I understand, but surely this has great value to you”, Maz said.

Luke turned to look at his wife and daughter. “Not as valuable as they are”, he said.

Maz looked at the lightsaber. “I will keep it safe. One day you may repay me and take it back.”

Luke smiled. “You have the force.”

Maz looked back down at the lightsaber. “Perhaps, but your path is not mine.”

He was silent for a while. “If you should ever change your mind you are always welcome at Devaron.

She smiled. “Do you know who attacked you?”

“My wife and I have our suspicions. There is a dark force user who we have encountered. It might have been her. My students are safe at the temple. They say nothing unusual has happened since we left.”

“Well there is no way this dark sider could escape from the crash on the moon where you left her.”

“We’ll see”, he said, still troubled.

“Safe journey then Skywalker.”

She watched as Luke walked over to his wife. Slipping his arm around her waist he looked down at the baby before whispering to her. She nodded and he led them onto the shuttle. Maz watched the ship depart and then she went back into the castle. Carrying the lightsaber downstairs into a cavernous storage room she opened a nondescript box and placed it inside.

As Luke concluded the story he was met with silence. Only the sound of the wind and the waves could be heard. Then, finally, she spoke. Her voice was a hoarse whisper.

“The baby…. What happened to the baby?”