main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Real Hero

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by TheRandomMenace, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    We've all done it as kids... looked up to an athlete like Michael Jordan or Joe Montana or someone like that. We call them our sports heroes. But God bless Pat Tilman. A REAL hero. Check out his story

HERE

People like Pat make me proud to say I'm an American.

2. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    For all of the professional athelets that are only interested in themselves it's good to see that there is someone out there like Pat Tillman who was willing to walk away from the fame and money to serve his country during a time of need. He IS a true role model and an American Hero. May God bless his family during this sad time.

3. Anrev_the_Jedi

Anrev_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2002
    It's sad to hear but I am grateful for his sacrifice. I hope they do name the stadium in Phoenix in honor of him. I have a HS friend who is in the Rangers. Havnt heard from him in a long time.

4. Douz

Douz Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2000
    Lets not forget all the others who made the ultimate sacrifice and honor them as well....not just one ex-football player who realized that there was more to life than the sport he played.

God Bless Them All.

5. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    I totally agree Douz. God bless them ALL. I was just singling out Pat Tilman because I don't know too many people who would walk away from $3.6 million to join the army.

6. Douz

Douz Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2000
    True....but think of those who had families...a wife, a son or a daughter and went in. 3.6 million cant even come close to comparing with that.

7. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    turned down a $3.6 million contract

IDIOT!

*Disclamor: Along with being a horrable speller, Jonathan Passow does not wish to make people mad with this posting so please don't fly off the handle at my comment.

8. Malo-ha

Malo-ha Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2003
    Everyone who is over there is a hero.

9. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    Everyone who is over there is a hero.

You hit it right on the money. Regardless of what these soldiers did for a living before they left they are all doing the same thing now, putting their lives on the line to serve their country.

10. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Everyone is starting to have someone "over in Iraq". For us, it's the son of my dad's NAVY buddy. Ryan is a medic, from suburban Detroit and he just graduated from Great Lakes last summer. He got reassigned to Iraq, because of the growing conflicts in the area.

I think too many people are labled as "a hero"...and someone doesn't have to die to be a hero. It takes courage to do what the men and women in the Armed Services are doing, it takes courage to be a family member of someone in the service. The best way to honor these "heroes" is to get them home as soon as possible.

11. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I'm very thankful for Pat Tillman's service and the ultimate sacrifice. He's definitely the type of role model a kid should look up to.

I speak from experience, being a gulf war vet myself (I was in the first one when it was called Desert Shield then Desert Storm). He will be remembered, as all of our fallen colleagues.

The cool thing about being a vet is that we all are "brothers and sisters" no matter the war. We all as vets, I can assure you saluted him with our hearts in honor of his sacrifice, as we do all of those who die in service to our country.

The one thing I would ask is during this year's Memorial Day is for you all to take a few minutes and think about the sacrifices all of these men and women are making. The Middle East is not a pleasent place, especially for Americans and more so during war. They all are giving or themselves. So no matter if you agree with the war itself, please stand behind the men and women who serve.

They will tell you that they are not heroes. They are just doing their job and their duty.

This is what makes these ordinary people, EXTRAORDINARY!

Forgive me if I sounded corny, but this is very near and dear to my heart.

-Sal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.