main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Real Soldier (no longer here, there, nor anywhere)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obaona, Aug 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Thanks for clicking! :D

Title: A Real Soldier
    Summary: Pellaeon thinks on his life.
    Author's Note: I may have information here that is incorrect, as I didn't research this and don't know much about Pellaeon (his first name is Gilad, isn't it? :p ). It's also been a while since I've read the books. Correct me and I'll say thank you. ;)

[edit] Edited for reasons that should be obvious if you read the below messages. ;)

2. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Hey, you wrote the Pellaeon vignette! :D Coolness, oba. :cool:

I think you're right that Pellaeon would likely muse on the galaxy rather than himself, but I also think you did a wonderful job getting inside his head. Perfectly plausible and enjoyable, my dear. :D (And his first name is Gilad. You did well. ;) )

EDIT: First post! :D *throws confetti*

3. Brett_Bass

Brett_Bass Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    Ah, good stuff, a Pellaeon fanfic. Pellaeon is damn near my favorite character at times, and I fancy myself something just shy of an expert, so, if I may...

(the following is all *constructive* criticism, I'm not being condescending, just informative)

Gilad Pellaeon actually entered the Raithal Academy at an age of either 16 or 17 (he lied about it to get it), and graduated in the top 1/3rd of his class. Good, but hardly incredible.

He began his neigh-unending career as a naval officer (soldier just isn't the right term--he's the Star Wars equivilent to a sailor, but they seem to call them crewers in the Imperial Navy, and that seems to be only for enlistedmen, not officers) before the Old Republic became the Empire, serving to some unspecified greater or lesser degree during the Clone Wars. The only thing I know about him during this period of time is that he fantasized about finding the Katana Fleet, as many young men during that time did.

After graduating from the Raithal Academy, Ensign Pellaeon served aboard a small capital ship of some kind or another. I believe it was once coined a 'patrol craft,' but am uncertain about that. After a very short period of time, he was given command of that vessel. I am also unsure as to whether or not this was as an Imperial officer or as one of the Old Republic. While in command of this vessel, Pellaeon first appeared on the scopes of his superiors after defending a convoy from pirates and capturing said pirates and their ship while seriously outgunned.

Eventually, he was transferred to the Chimaera, presumably after having served a tour of duty aboard the Imperial-class Star Destroyer Thunderflare. Through hard work and diligence, he eventually became the ship's executive officer (the second-in-command) and made the rank of captain (given the prestegious nature of the Chimaera, it is assumed that the captain of the ship was a commodore of vice admiral).

Captain Pellaeon served aboard the Chimaera for many years, and was said to be long overdue for a promotion to flag rank as of the Battle of Endor. Initially, the battle went well for the Imperials, but after Palpatine died and General Calrissian implemented the 'point blank range' tactic, the engagement quickly turned sour. In the barely controlled chaos, none of the various admirals took command after the loss of the Executor, or at least, none of them lived long enough to implement any effective plans.

When the Chimaera's captain was killed in action, Pellaeon took over the ship and issued the order to retreat. Grand Admiral Teshik, having barely escaped the destruction of the Death Star, briskly approved of Pellaeon's hastily concocted plan, and stayed behind in his flagship to cover the withdrawl of the fleet. As a sidenote, Teshik's Star Destroyer lasted three full hours after the fleet had pulled out before being disabled by overwhelming ion cannon fire. Teshik was captured by the Alliance, and in a surprising move for the normally benign organization, charged with non-existant war crimes and summarily executed.

Pellaeon tried to hold the fleet together at Annaj, the nearest sector capitol, but most of the flag officers assigned to the Endor fleet had been appointed by Palpatine for their support of him, personally, rather than any particular loyalty to the Empire at large. As a result, Admiral Harrsk broke away from the Empire as the first breakaway warlord. All but a handful of other admirals wound up doing the same within the next several months, despite Pellaeon's efforts to maintain good order and dicipline.

In the ensing political vaccum, Ysand Isard rose to power. For all intents and purposes, she controlled the Empire proper, and Pellaeon, still a captain served under her. For reasons that I cannot comprehend, she intentionally denied him his promotion board.

After Isard, Pellaeon fought on against the New Republic (still referred to as the Rebellion by him and most other Imperials of his age) in a series of readgu

4. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Gabri_Jade: Thank you. ;)

Brett_Bass: JUST SHY OF AN EXPERT?!? :eek:

*faints dead away*

:p Clearly, I should have found you before writing this, eh? That makes sense (what you've said). Where on earth did you get all that info??

I think I could write a 300 page novel with all the information you gave me, as a matter of fact . . . but I think I could squeeze it into a short story. And after you wrote ALL THAT - I think it deserves it. ;)

A few quick questions? :D Third to last paragraph - when did that specifically occur, timeline-wise? Was it just before Specter of the Past? And btw, I know Pellaeon isn't really a 'soldier', per se, but it seemed like a good title so I put it in anyway. And it seemed humble . . . *wonders if Pellaeon is humble*

Would you mind if I did a short story off of what you gave me (aka, if I copied and pasted to a Word doc. and worked off of it?)? I'm thinking he gets interviewed or something . . . *isn't sure yet* :p

By the way, did you like the story despite the glaring inaccuracies? :p

*goes off to ponder whether to lock this thread or not* :p

5. Brett_Bass

Apr 22, 2003
    Oh, yes. I enjoyed it very much. Your writing style is fairly...inviting, and it seemed farily obvious that you were telling a story that I wanted to read.

*thumbs up*

At any rate, the 'Last Hurrah' as I like to call it (Ackbar Vs. Pellaeon--the Mother of all Battles) was a few months before the Bastion Accords, but I guess ina decades-long war, that's just a drop in the bucket.

6. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Brett_Bass: Many thanks. ;) Ackbar vs. Pellaeon - aye, that'd be some battle! :eek:

Surprisingly, yes I can spell . . . :p

7. Brett_Bass

Apr 22, 2003
    Actually, I probably ought to have pluralized that, as it was a fierce, bloody series of majory engagements, rather than just the one battle.

The whole thing ended with the Battle of Anx Minor, when the seemingly-endless waves of New Republic ships managed to set off the antimatter reactors abord the Star Destroyer Redoubtable. The resulting detonation somehow managed to destroy some six other 'Destroyers, and the resulting loss of morale combined with the fact that the New Republic could replace ships faster than the Empire could destroy them, convinced then-Admiral Pellaeon that the Empire couldn't win through force of arms.

The rest, as they say, is history.

8. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Which brings up a question about that battle.

I know there's probably an obvious answer to my question (I'm just feeling lazy) but because of the big BANG the Reboutable went out with, won't some NR ships have been taken out as well?

9. Brett_Bass

Apr 22, 2003
    I would assume so, but it isn't mentioned specifically like the six SDs cooking off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.