A real Wookiee costumes?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by JediDerek, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediDerek Jedi Knight

star 1
    heya gang i am a new meber of the jc forums nice to meet you all. ( i would liek to know where i can get a wookiee costume as close as to the one that chewy uses ).... and to be a safe site to order from?

I looked online i seen one for $499 but it didnt look all that great ( but it had real fur )...

2. JediDerek Jedi Knight

star 1
  3. Darth_Twilight Jedi Master

star 2
    Wish I could help you. There were a couple of wookies running around CIII. If I come across something I'll post it.

Good luck.
  4. VillieGee Jedi Knight

star 3
    There's no lisenced Wookiee costumes, so no one's going to be able to post a link. It's against the forum rules.
  5. JainaMSolo Jedi Knight

star 3
  6. Sarlacc_Pit Jedi Knight

star 2
    <<There's no lisenced Wookiee costumes, so no one's going to be able to post a link. It's against the forum rules. >>

Actually, Rubies has the license, and there are several on ebay now. They do look a bit funky, and will need some work to look right. Like a flat iron for starters, as the pictures I saw of the actual product looked like it had it's back permed. They run about 400.00
  7. JainaMSolo Jedi Knight

star 3
    Heehee, a Chewie perm! First we have mall-hair Mara, now mall-hair Chewie. *g*
  8. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    One of the Rubies Chewie costumes was on display at CIII. It does indeed look like it's had an unfortunate run-in with a crimper. Also, in person, the fur is a very odd texture.
    I would rate it as mediocre -- for someone not interested in making their own, I suppose it would suffice, but hard core costumers will notice its many flaws right away.

9. kevinb74 Jedi Padawan

Hello, I work at Make-Up Artist Magazine. We put on a trade show called International Make-Up Artist Show (IMATS). This year Dave Elsey (Creature and Prosthetic Supervisor for Episode III)will be one of our Keynote Speakers. He was the guy George hired to create the new Wookiee costumes. Rumor has it that he might even be bringing some of the Wookiee costumes to display in the Trade Show Museum. After Dave does his presentation, there will most likely be a Q&A session, so you might be able to get some tips straight from the guy who made them. Also, the upcoming issue of our magazine(Make-Up Artist Magazine #55)also features Dave's work on the wookiee. We received many of the photos straight from Dave(This made Lucasfilm very nervous), so some of them have not appeared anywhere else before.

Kevin
    www.makeupmag.com
    www.makeupartistshow.com
  10. davisjaron Jedi Knight

star 2
    I personally would suggest making your own.... thats what I am doing right now. it should hopefully be done by wednesday (I will post pictures once I get them).

Its not really hard work, but its time consuming... and the basic costume (just the body and mask) will run you about $150.

Ok, what I am doing is I bought the Deluxe chewbacca costume. You can get these for around $85 - 100 off ebay or just go to a licensed site and buy one. Once you get that find a store locally to you that sells stuff like synthetic hair... wigs... stuff like that. Find the cheap $.99 bags of synthetic hair and buy about 2 blondes and about 1 darker brown for the mask. The body I would suggest probably around 10 - 15 bags of hair.

The colors you want to buy are blonde (usually around number 27), a darker brown, and some light or dark gray.

Next go to wal-mart and go to the crafts section and buy one of the small $1.99 hot glue guns, and also buy the bag of mini hot glue sticks (get the 100 pack... trust me, it will save you time).

Now go home and get some one of the packs of hair out. You will use blonde mostly. The bag of hair should have a ruler on the supporting cardboard, use that to cut chunks of hair, length around 6 inches. Use hair ties to keep all the hair together, and then put them all in a zip-lock bag.

Now get one of the chucks of hair out and take the tie off, get a small pinch of hair ready (not to little, but just enough) then put a drop of hot glue onto the suit. Now always be sure to START AT THE BOTTOM of what your working on, so that you can work your way up and not have to move the hair out of the way.

Now just glue all of the hair on, simple as that. Its not really hard work, its just time consuming.

Well... other than the accessories which you would have to make on your own.... thats done. I do have a few reference photos for wookiees that I use. The links are below.

http://image12.webshots.com/13/7/32/90/343473290LBBdmH_fs.jpg
    http://image36.webshots.com/37/7/33/36/343473336sKRQjE_fs.jpg
    http://image42.webshots.com/42/8/62/0/343486200qZmiPC_fs.jpg
    http://image46.webshots.com/47/8/62/49/343486249qqcxyG_fs.jpg
    http://image42.webshots.com/42/8/63/0/343486300cUkBjV_fs.jpg
  11. JediDerek Jedi Knight

star 1
  12. VillieGee Jedi Knight

star 3
    Don't listen to me, I'm retarded. lol
  13. JediDerek Jedi Knight

star 1
    what sucks i cant make stuff i tried my hardest to even make my own jedi costume ( i ended up buying a pre made one lol )

and i cant find the chewwy costumes on ebay i looked.
  14. davisjaron Jedi Knight

star 2
    your best bet is to go to buystarwarscostumes.com and buy from there (you can pay paypal) and then just call them, or email them, and ask them to priority mail it to you. It would be the same price as ebay if not cheaper.
  15. JediDerek Jedi Knight

star 1
    I may order from thier that wookiee costume is ok ( but i rsther have the one i seen on ebay dam was it sexy :)

16. davisjaron Jedi Knight

star 2
    If your willing to drop at least 1500 on a wookiee then I know a guy who is actually selling his on ebay, its a wonderfull costume, its a wookiee warrior with armor and all.

But if you want a good one like his then either make your own as I showed above or your going to drop a pretty penny, lol.

If you want to see that just PM me or something and I will send you a link.
  17. JediDerek Jedi Knight

star 1
    yea i saw that and its $1,000 rightnow.
  18. davisjaron Jedi Knight

star 2
    we must be thinking of different wookiees.... the one I know started at 1500...
  19. Ellbobin Jedi Master

star 4
    You could alway 'Mod' the Rubies one.
  20. davisjaron Jedi Knight

star 2
    Here I wrote a tutorial on how I did mine, here is the link.

padawansguide.com/wookiee.shtml

Yes it was published on padawansguide.com :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.