main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Really Silly Question.....

Discussion in 'Communications' started by PrincessKenobi , Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Okay I don't exactly don't know who to pm about this. So I'm just going to put it out there and ask. So hopefully one of you people can help me out. There's this old thread of mine I would like to download in its complete content to my hard drive without having to copy and paste everything in the thread. Is there a way I can download the file without having to do so. I'm not seeing an option to do so anywhere on the boards. So I figured I would ask. Thank you for your time and concern.

~PK~

KK EDIT: Question answered; problem solved.

2. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Ok, this is assuming youre using IE.

in the upper left coner of the window, were it says File.

Click on that.

Select Save As.

Save the page someware.

the ENTIRE page (graphics, and text) will be saved.

3. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    Well what if theres in total about 200 pages worth of stuff that I need save just from one thread? I.E. An old RPG back in they day I use to run but I don't want to see lost to the j.c.c. i eat threads monster after being locked for so long.

~PK~

4. Azanulbizar

Azanulbizar Jedi Master star 1

Nov 22, 2003
    Maybe you can get a mod to unlock it and up it? It might save you some time at least, if you need to copy and paste.

Would screen caps work?

If you have your settings set to 50 topics/page it might be less than 200 pages (if you're currently on 25/page).

Night4554 gives some advice on saving a web page in this post. (the thread is about saving PM's).

5. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    This is a really silly question :(

6. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Ignore droidka - she's drunk and online...........

My suggestion would be to use Adobe Acrobat (if you have access), with a few clicks you can set it up to extract just the text from a thread of your choosing, and save it either as a PDF, or as a TXT file.

7. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I don't know about on Windows, but on my Linux box, I could set up a script using wget to retrieve each of the pages individually. It would take only a few minutes.

If you want me to do it, PM me the thread and I will try to get to it after I finish some school work this week.

Kimball Kinnison

8. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    So thank you for the advice on the Adobe Reader. I did that and it worked like a charm. I don't know why I didn't think about it before. But it was a great idea thank you!

~PK~

9. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Hey :) no problem at all, glad I could help. I've used Adobe Acrobat a few times before for archiving informational websites so I could access them offline, or just for making a backup of information while maintaining images, frames etc etc.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hey, malkie, can we set Acrobat to save the graphics as well? I've seen pdfs with graphics, so I know that it works... can it be done?

11. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002
    They should be able to save pictures too Jay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.