main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Return to Star Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BlueTuna, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueTuna

BlueTuna Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2002
    I used to be an avid reader of Star Wars novels, especially Zahn and Stackpole, but I got away from it for a while.

I am interested in learning whether this New Jedi Order series is any good, and how it compares to say, the Heir to the Empire trilogy or the Hand of Thrawn.

Also, what about Cloak of Deception?

Thank you.

2. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    NJO is awsome, but expect to take some hard knoks at the death of major characters.

3. palpatineson

palpatineson Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2001
    What do you mean "expect"? It already has taken a ton of knocks for killing off characters. I will not list which ones now so you can see for yourself, but I will say that it is a very good series that developes well, IMO.

Also, you should definately read CoD, it makes TPM sooo much better, IMO again.

4. Sinje_Gawa

Sinje_Gawa Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2001
    If you're going to read the NJO, watch what you read here because that's most of what gets discussed and we're well past the spoiler stage for everything up to Dark Journey, the latest book.

I would also recommend reading the related prequel-era Rogue Planet first, it hints at the enemy in NJO and features an EU character that plays a fairly big part.

Then be prepared to get frustrated about something. Almost every reader of the NJO doesn't like at least one thing about it. There are good points, and bad points, just like everything but sometimes depending on author and subject matter the bad points beat you over the head a bit. Come back in a few and start ranting, plenty of people will join you. Don't get me wrong, though, it's not totally rotten or anything.

5. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I am reading Syat by Star right now.

You should be ready for soome major character deaths. In fact two major character deaths are so big that there are still debates on if they will come back, and if the books are offical and etc...

But, yes the NJO series is great. IMO you should start reading the series ASAP.

6. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    NJO is good. but some of the background info needs to be filled in from other books so start with Essential Chronology or Timetales summaries for up to NJO

Then Read:
    Vector Prime (NJO1)
    Dark Tide Duology (NJO 2 and 3)
    Rogue Planet (Prequel Era)
    Agents of Chaos Duology (NJO 4 and 5)
    Balance Point (NJO 6)
    Edge Of Victory Duology (NJO 7 and 8)
    TTT if you haven't read it
    Star By Star (NJO9)

7. JEDIMACK-COM

JEDIMACK-COM Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    If you like your storys dark and sick, then NJO is for you. If you like storys of hope and good triumpant over evil, where the heros win the day... Stop reading at Zahns Duology. Jedimack.

8. JEDIMACK-COM

JEDIMACK-COM Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    The people that like NJO order call themselves darth???, or sith???. And when I was 16 I read sick - dark books. But NJO is not for anyone that loved the first trilogy, and Del-ray has let us down. It is just to depressing to read this stuff any more. JEDIMACK.

9. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "If you like your storys dark and sick, then NJO is for you. If you like storys of hope and good triumpant over evil, where the heros win the day... Stop reading at Zahns Duology. Jedimack."

Do you really think that good won't triumph over evil by the end of the NJO? Sure it's been dark so far (I'd by no means call it sick), but that will just make the end that much more satisfying.

Amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.