main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A rip-off-able hoop skirt - ideas?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Miana Kenobi, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm in a bit of a puzzle here. For a costume I'm trying to get done this summer, it requires a hoopskirt. However, I also need to be able to make it a pull away so the entire skirt and hoopskirt come off in several seconds. We've thought about just using layers and layers of crinoline, but it really wouldn't give it the shape I want. Ideas?

2. Verdaera

Verdaera Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    I think if you have a skirt that has an overlap, and you sew in boning channels but don't connect them (since there will be an opening), line the opening with snaps or velcro, you should just be able to rip that off... (did that make any sense?)

3. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Kinda sorta?

4. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    I think Verdaera means that on the side seams, where instead of sewing the fabric seams, you leave the front half and the back half seperate. Put the boning in each half and have some boning overlap at those two side seams to keep the shape, but you'll be able to tear the skirt away. It'll look kinda like () but slightly overlapping.

I don't know what your project is, but I had to do tear away pannier for The Robber Bridegroom a few years ago and we did it with large snaps down the center front of the pannier. Poor Rosamund got stripped of her lovely gown on stage and left nekkid (nude bodysuit). Doing it with one opening (where the boning needs to overlap to maintain it's silhouette) will be less likely to fail than two. Perhaps have a snap or velcro opening in the center back?

5. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Gotchya. Project's kinda a surprise, so I'm afraid I can't give too much away. But it does have and over-skirt that parts in the front, so that might actually work.

6. navarre1095

navarre1095 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    S_S edit: not appropriate.

7. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    It really would be easier to have a drawsting waist on regular hoops- undo the strings and step out of it. If you cut the hoops, even if you overlap the sections and fasten with a lot of velcro, it will not sit well.

The other method would indeed be layers and layers of netting and this is used in Phantom of the Opera when Christine steps into the Diva costume on stage. It is a huge skirt, something like 20pounds and all net with velcro up the back (small sections not continuous) and a huge pant hook at the waist. Different productions have different fullness. If you use a method similar to a calssic ballet tutu you will get a lot of fullness.
    Oh that dress is put on in the dark on stage in under 20 seconds and off again in the light in just a few.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.