main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A-Rod Tested Positive for Steroids

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    story here

Even with most of my baseball innocence taken from me, I did NOT see this coming. A-Rod has been viewed as the poster boy for staying clean and healthy in the Steroid Era and still putting up big numbers. Many were viewing him as the guy to restore honor to the HR records.

Guess not.

2. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    [face_plain]

[face_plain]

[face_plain]

[face_laugh]:_|[face_laugh]

And this makes me even more glad that the Red Sox didn't end up with him. lol

A-Hole was a given. A-Fraud for sure now.

L.O.L.

3. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    why is anyone shocked by this? I wouldn't be surprised if 2/3 of the players in the 90's and till just recently took steroids or something like them. The only true legitimate active home run king now, is
    Ken Griffey Jr. He looks like the same player that he was when he came into the league and if he wasn't hurt for the those years, he would probably be close to the record now.

for me, I'm putting an asterisk that anything Bonds, AROID do from now on. That is if Bonds ever plays again.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Here we go again.

5. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    lol. This is great.

6. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Completely agree. I held him in the same class with Griffey Jr. Someone who was not only gifted with a crazy-absurd amount of talent, but an absolute love of the game as well.

Like you said, guess not.

7. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I saw A-Roid play in Seattle back in the day and I have to say I am not surprised by this. The thing that really bothers me is that he comes off so cocky all the time. I wonder which players from the Brewers could be on this new list.

8. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Bonds, McGuire, Sosa and all the rest that have been caught should have their stats swiped clean. Or at least the seasons that they are known to have done roids should be omitted.

In other words - Maris is still the single season home run king and Aaron in still the all time home run king.

9. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    A-Fraud.

10. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Who cares?

Just let players take steroids... most of them are doing it, so it shouldn't even be a big deal anymore...

11. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Well, knock me over with a feather.

12. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    [image=http://bigpapadaddy.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/arod20slap.jpg]
    Give me my roids back lady!!!!!!! :mad:

If this is true, does it seriously surprise anybody?

A world of lols though.

13. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    This. And el-oh-el. I try to be optimistic, but baseball is just a joke for this kind of thing.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Even with most of my baseball innocence taken from me, I did NOT see this coming. A-Rod has been viewed as the poster boy for staying clean and healthy in the Steroid Era and still putting up big numbers. Many were viewing him as the guy to restore honor to the HR records.

Guess not.

This, almost exactly. I can't say I'm really shocked, but definitely surprised. Heck, I was hearing his name being used in that sense - restoring honor and non-steroid use to the records - as recently as a day or two ago. I think it was Thursday, but it might have been yesterday.

15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    On PTI Thursday or Friday, Tony mentioned that A-Rod would be the guy who would remove, in his eyes, Aaron from the top of the record books.

16. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, I knew it was PTI. But they were talking about that as helping to erase the memory of Bonds and steroids. Well, not so much anymore.

Come to think of it, it must have been Thursday because I was asleep when PTI aired yesterday.

17. gonzoforce

Feb 27, 2002
    MLB has itself to blame, they took a blind eye to the steroid era for too long and now it bit them. I wouldn't be surprised if 95-99% of the players have used some form of Steroids.

And now the best players from the roid era won't get in the hall of fame, which is just as good.

I'm not surprised any more, I've basically written off the steroid era, from say 1990-2006. With the execption of a few players, like Maddux, and Griffey JR.

right now it's Griffey Jr, who should only be mentioned with Aaron and and Ruth and Mays. The other cheaters and pretenders don't matter anymore.

18. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    Well Now What Have We Here!

I guess all the people who dismissed what Jose Canseco said about A-Rod, Bonds, Sosa, Mark M., etc...just because he was selling a book have to eat crow now!!!

Jose Canseco was the only one in baseball telling the truth...

How sad is that?

I remember Jim Rome said it best..."Jose was arrogant, crazy, an opportunist, but I don't remember him ever being a liar."

19. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Why did it take 6 years for this to become public? And hasn't A-Rod been saying for years that he never took steroids? :rolleyes:

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Well, who's surprised? The man's been a hugely talented moron from day one.

21. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    The testing that took place when he tested positive was the survey testing in 2002, to see if MLB needed to implement drug testing. It was part of the agreement worked out with the Players Union that all results from this test would be completely confidential with no punishments to be handed out based on the results. Now, it looks like someone, somehow got there hands on the results from this test, and decided to leak some of the info.

I think if A-Rod handles this right, he could come out of it. Do what he can to bring forth any evidence (if there is any) that since this time he's been clean, if he's got negative tests, give us the details, maybe get himself tested this year, and show us a negative test result. Then (if he can do the above)make it clear that what happened in 2002 was a one time deal, that everyone else in MLB was doing this, and he felt he had to in order to keep up with the rest of the league. Then apologize his ass off and keep pointing to any negative tests he can produce. If he does that, he might be able to come through this with his reputation mostly intact.

Considering how bad the 02 team was, I don't know that there's a whole lot to worry about. If you go 56-106 while you're juicing, I hate to see what would happen if you were clean. But looking at the roster, the only name that could stand out is Richie Sexson. He had a few monster years, then all of a sudden, about 05 or so, he just fell off big time. And Fernando Vina was in the Mitchell Report, he wasn't with the team in 02, but he was 95-99, during what's probably the height of steroid use.

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    They really have to decide what they are going to do; legalize it or enforce a ban with extreme strictness.

23. gonzoforce

Feb 27, 2002
    you know, Canseco is the only one out of those idiots who's telling the truth, shows how low MLB has gotten.

24. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    QFT.

I had posted in the Mitchell Report thread the news last week that among the now unsealed Grand Jury evidence in the Bonds trial were test results showing Bonds having taken steroids. Unfortunately (but understandably from a legal standpoint) much of the evidence is probably not going to be admissible in th e trial, but it's pretty clear whose results they have to have been.

As others have said, Baseball, desperate to regain a foothold in the pantheon of major sports, sold its soul. (That's not to say that there isn't wide-spread doping in football, too.)

And AJ, I understand your point, but there's a fundamental problem: what about athletes who don't want to dope? The substances in question are banned because they lead to serious health problems. If you allow them, it means anyone who wants to compete is going to have little choice but to start taking them just to keep up, thereby putting their life on the line.

EDIT: And a little reminder about the testing program: IIRC, when the baseball CBA came up for negotiation a few years earlier, Selig and the owners wanted to put in a solid testing program, which Fehr and the Union, in a continuation of their long-standing policy, tried to fight. Eventually they "gave in" only weakly -- it was agreed to do a limited, anonymous series of testing. If more than a certain percentage of those tested (10%, iirc) were positive, then a full, non-anonymous testing program complete with suspensions, would be implemented. At the time, Selig and the owners were laughed at for caving, because most experts doubted the threshold would be met, as it was not a very well implemented program that made it far too easy for players to get around the test. It was almost shocking when the threshold was surpassed, and (again, iirc) by a significant margin. So the people, like ARod, who got caught, must have been doping pretty rampantly, otherwise they they wouldn't have tested positive.

EDIT 2: The threshold was 5%. And the only reason the list is still around (it was supposed to be destroyed) is because the Union kept it around.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm with Curt Schilling: "I'd be all for the 104 positives being named, and the game moving on if that is at all possible. In my opinion, if you don't do that, then the other 600-700 players are going to be guilty by association, forever. It appears that not only was it 104, but three of the greatest of our, or any, generation appear to be on top of this list"

The Union screwed up and got A-Rod caught here, but let's not make him the only scape goat. Let's get the truth out there (finally), and see if baseball will actually move on. Plus, releasing the rest of the names might just help baseball's image in the court of public opinion.

And, yankee, I agree with you about it being rampant in football, too. That's got to the be worst-kept secret in America. How there aren't people clamoring for anti-doping investigations there are beyond me. I won't be shocked to see the NBA eventually go through this as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.