main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A-Rod Tested Positive for Steroids

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Yeah, I totally agree with Schilling, too. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Fehr to do the right thing.The one problem I have is that it gives those who are not among the 104 names a free pass that they don't necessarily deserve. Just because a name isn't on the list, doesn't mean the person is clean, just that he either (a) wasn't tested or (b) was smarter about what he used and how he used it.

And how damning is it that Orza apparently tipped off A-Roid about the test. There was apparently a contention in the Mitchell report that Orza had tipped off someone else, as well.

And Inty, it's time sports fans in the US woke and realized that doping isn't somehting all the "evil" countries do at the Olympics, it's just as rampant in the US as anywhere. Remember Rocky IV, how part of painting Drago the "bad guy" was to show him being injected with what were obviously steroids, while good guy Rocky worked out the old fashioned way? How telling is it that Stallone himself uses HGH.

2. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    I can't say I'm surpised about A-Rod, but I think its a real shame what baseball has done to itself. I don't think I'd be shocked about any name that was confirmed. But I hope I never see anything with Griffey, Maddux, or Ripken who were probably my three favorite players from the 80's to 2000.

I do think it is going to be very hard for "innocent" players to escape the taint, even if they release all 104 names. There was no testing prior to that 2003 sample (right?). All that gets you is players that may have used steriods then, it does nothing for the players that played in 80's-90's, where most of these huge numbers started to pop up.

3. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    And don't forget, the testing was incredibly flawed, no where near the Olympic level, even if Orza didn't tip people off. Among the evidence from the Bonds Grand Jury is a retesting of his sample. When baseball did the test, it came up negative. It was retested some time later, using a newer test, and came up positive. Again, when the deal between the owners and union was announced, it was generally expected that the 5% threshold wouldn't be reached.

EDIT: I'd be stunned if Ripken or Maddux doped. Especially Maddux, what would it get him, he wasn't a power pitcher. I don't know about Griffey. He certainly doesn#t look like someone who used steroids, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have used them at some point, like Pettite.

Maybe that's a good question for everyone: What player(s) are you absolutely sure didn't dope?

Looking at my beloved Yankee dynasty, the names that would come to mind are Cone and O'Neill. Both had fairly "normal" looking athletic physiques, Cone was even somewhat skinny. On the Braves I'd say Glavine, Maddux and Smoltz. Mainly pitchers.

4. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I am not an A-Rod fan but I think this has been blown out of proportion, particualarly why it shocks so many people. A-Rod put up questionable numbers, if it was Jeter I would be shocked

5. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    he only admitted it, cause he was caught.he's a liar and a cheat. He lied during the 60 minute interview. How can you believe him that he only took them in Texas? All of his records should be tainted or erased. What a joke, and what a joke MLB has become.

and the best players during the steroid era are now jokes, which makes what even Greg Maddux did more great. Sorry, but now I just don't know who's taken them, the should just wipe out the records during the roid era.

6. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I'm going to write a letter to Topps and Donruss suggesting that they add an extra stat column to their baseball cards showing what performance enhancer that player used.

I know some older people who are still upset about the strike years ago and they haven't come back to the game. I'm sure this helps a ton. Way to go Selig. He's so gung-ho about the integrity of baseball but he knew about this all along.

7. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    I don't have a problem with Sly using it. He was making a movie, it's almost like he added to the special effects in a weird sort of way. No, he shouldn't have really looked like that, but Hayden and Ewan didn't film their duel on a volcano either.

8. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    (Reposting from the JCC thread...)

Lol. I saw the A-Fraud interview with Peter Gammons and this is pretty much what he said:

9. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    How funny is it that when a guy like A-Rod is found to have used steroids, all hell breaks loose. But when a guy like Shawn Merriman is found to have used steroids, not only is it brushed off as soon as possible, but the guy is still treated like royalty by the media.

10. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Part of that is baseball's fascination with stats and individual numbers and records... but I don't understand why it gets so totally ignored (relatively speaking) in football, either.

11. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    I think the big loser here ends up being Barry Bonds. A-Rod was far more candid than he had to be for pure damage control purposes. Bonds looks like an utter tool now.

Of course, A-Rod had the benefit of watching Bonds' approach fail spectacularly.

12. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Of course, A-Rod had the benefit of watching Bonds' approach fail spectacularly.

Very true - and likewise, McGuire's and Clemens' failed approaches. A-Rod, at this point, looks to come out of this looking better than any of those, though this certainly still tarnishes what he's done.

13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Tarnished, yes. But never underestimate the difference a simple "I did it and I'm sorry" can make.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Oh, I don't - which is why I think he'll come out looking way better than Bonds/McGuire/Clemens.

Time will tell for sure, but as it stands right now I'm pretty confident of such.

15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Every era has it's misdeeds/cheats, so I've never really bought into the whole sport will be tarnished/is tarnished hysteria (a favorite theme for the media) over the steroids era. Yeah certain players (Bonds, Clemens, Sosa) and their records/accomplishments will never be looked at the same, but nothing short of canceling a whole season ought to relent anybody's passion for the sport. I sure as hell won't.

16. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    What I want to see is Curt "I have an Opinion on everything" Schilling, apologize to Jose Canseco...."Hey Jose..um..I guess you were telling the truth....(insert the Rafael finger point) Period.

Now that would be good TV:p

Seriously though...

Baseball can't wipe the records, because they knew about it the whole time. To punish players, and not punish the commisioner, Union Head (Fehr) and every baseball manager and Owner would be a bit too hypocritical.

I don't buy it when Owners and Managers say they are surprized, or that they did not know....give me a break...

For the record, anyone who tests positive should have their records wiped. Selig and Fehr should be forced to step down, and the owners should be fined and have to let fans in free on opening day.

Oh yeah...and free beer and hotdogs on opening day too:p

17. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    I bet Pete Rose is loving what's going on right now.

18. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    he cheated, plain and simple. How do we know he's not doing it now? He's a liar who can't be trusted.

And for Baseball, it's all about numbers and Records. 755, 300 WINS,ETC. That's why the cheaters get more notice than in the NFL or any other sport. Notice I said 755, Aaron is still the home king, not the idiot cheater Bonds or A-fraud. No matter what A-FRAUD does, he won't have his name by any records, at least by me. Oh and he should give up his AL mvp, who was runner up. the year A-rod won? And he should pay back his 200 million from the Rangers, he got that by cheating as well.

compared to these guys, Rose is clean. if any of those frauds get into the Hall, then Rose should automatically get in, course he'll never get in as long Selig is in charge.

19. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Honestly, when it really comes down to it, I think what Rose did was much worse. He bet on his team, when he was the Manager. He can say all he wants about he only bet them to win, but what he did calls into question the integrity of his decisions and the game, more then anything from the Steroid Era. At least in the Steroid Era, everyone knew what was happening, and players on both sides of the ball were involved, hitters and pitchers. Though, neither really deserve it, I would vote for Bonds for I'd vote for Rose.

20. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    People need to get over steroids and HGH... it's here and it's not going away. Deal with it.

To the people who are crying and whining over this, let me ask you, if the batter is taking steroids and the pitcher is taking steroids, who has the advantage?

21. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Both!

:oops: :p

22. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Exactly! It all evens out because of this, and the fact that it takes skill to play baseball anyway............................steriods/HGH wouldn't do **** for me, because I can't play baseball worth a ****.

23. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    Free beer at a ballpark? I don't think you're even allowed to dream that. How come I go to a stadium sponsored by Miller but I have to pay 6.50 for a bottle. It's a bunch of crap!

24. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Actually , when you take into the ealth consequences of taking steroids and hgh, they're both losers. Or have you forgotten Ken Caminiti already.

25. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Yes, but the strike in 94, and the ending of the season, is a major, major reason that steroids were overlooked for so long in the first place. They had to get the fans back someone, and power hitters, homerun races, pitching, etc. all were a big part of the appeal for new and returning fans. I think Selig is ******bag, but I can understand why he looked the other way.

What they need to do in MLB is make a clear and simple policy, and totally restaff the management of the game, starting with Selig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.