A Rogue Associated Student invited to attend Cambridge needs your help

Discussion in 'Sacramento, CA' started by Deadpool, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadpool Jedi Youngling

star 4
    One of our non-online Rogues "Cat" (Cathy) sent me this article from the local paper about her son. Seems he got an invite to go study abroad (overseas not study a broad) and like most of us found the cost to be more then a normal family can afford. So over the next few weeks She is holding car washes and other fundraising attempts to help her son realize his dreams.

Since She's quasi pr "reserve" Rogue that makes her boy a default Rogue or Rogue by association so I thought I'd post this here and see if anyone could help out. (figured it couldn't hurt to ask)

Here's the article and contact info:

Pioneer High School freshman Zach Wren has been invited to attend Cambridge University in England this summer - but he may not have the funding to go.
    Due to his outstanding academic performance, 15-year-old Wren was invited to study at the university from July 14 through Aug. 3. But between the cost of tuition and fees, totaling $5,595, airfare and spending money, the cost of the trip is becoming extremely expensive for his mother, Cathy Rhees, who is unable to fund the whole trip.

"My children and I have been studying our English and Scottish heritage, so this is even more important to Zach," explained Rhees.

"He is considering studying archeology and one of the classes being offered is Archeology and he will be able to go inside the gates and into Stonehenge!" Rhees added. "He will be able to actually touch the stones! That's a rare opportunity."

Wren said he is "extremely excited" about the opportunity due to his long-standing wish to visit England. "I   didn't think I would be able to until I was an adult but now I have the opportunity sooner than I imagined," Wren said. "I will get the experience as well as new knowledge from the classes that are offered. The classes I will be able to take will help me to determine what I want to study in college after high school." "It would be comforting to go into college knowing what I want to study and what its like to attend a university and this opportunity can provide me with that," he added.

Wren also attended a similar program at California State University, Sacramento, when he was 12 years old, taking classes that included forensic science and physics.

Wren and his mother are seeking any private or public donations to contribute funding toward the trip's cost, which Rhees estimates at about $7,500.

Anyone wishing to make donations toward the cost of Wren's trip should visit the Yolo Federal Credit Union, where an account in care   of Zach Wren is set-up specifically for funding the trip. Donations can be made anonymously, by making deposits directly into the account. Rhees said the account is for education money only and any money Zach receives in excess of the trip's cost will stay in the account for future trips or for college after graduation.

For further information or for responses to questions regarding donations, please e-mail Zach at zwren@charter.net for contact or questions
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.