main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A ROTJ Question...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Binder-lover, May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Binder-lover

Binder-lover Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 3, 2003
    In ROTJ, the Emperor looks at Luke's binders, and says "You'll no longer need those." Then the manacles fall off Luke's wrists.

Here's the question: What did Luke need the binders for anyway?

2. fcz1

fcz1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    Here's my guess...

Luke surrnedered to some ordinary run-in-the-mill imperial officers. I'm sure it is standard practice to cuff prisoners, especially rebellion leaders. I'm sure that they didn't realize Luke was a Jedi and could get out of them pretty easily.

3. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Something tells me that it isn't so easy for a Jedi to get out of them either... watch the look on Luke's face when they fall off... very telling...

It would take a GREAT deal of fine force control in order to "pick a lock" so to speak.

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Perhaps. Obviously a certain level of Force proficiency is required, but I thought Luke was more like "wow, Palps doesn't even care if I have the cuffs on? Better be careful here."

5. USTommie

USTommie Jedi Master star 2

Sep 12, 2002
    I just thought Luke was surprised that The Emperor would allow him to have his hands free, not that he was incredibly shocked that Palps did it. I always saw it as a way Palps was trying to wow Luke with his parlor tricks. Luke didn't seem too impressed to me, it looked like more of a surprised look than anything.

6. MasterAero

MasterAero Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2002
    I remember reading in the book that Luke was impressed with the Emp's ability to unlock them. Kinda as a show of his power. Its been over 15 years since I read it though so someone else can probably quote it.
    Also goes along with getting rid of the guards. Emp was saying..you're no match for me. His overconfidence didn't let him see Vader betraying him.

7. fcz1

fcz1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    Perhaps he was impressed with the emperor's ease of unlocking. Maybe Luke thought he could get out of them, but it would take some skill. The emperor removed them like it was nothing.

8. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    "I remember reading in the book that Luke was impressed with the Emp's ability to unlock them. Kinda as a show of his power."

Yup that's pretty much it. At this point Luke had not witnessed this display of power or degree of control. He was shocked all right. I wouldn't be surprised if he blobed in his pants a bit.

As to how he got the binders on, he had them when he go off the AT-AT to meet Vader on the forest moon of Endor. I'm sure it's SOP for Stormtroopers to put criminals in binders.

9. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I like the idea that Luke was both wary that the Emperor has voluntarily freed him, and was also confirming for the first time that Palpatine was a Force user.

Palpatine doesn't even wave a hand, he just flicks a finger and that's enough to unlock the cuffs. It must be clear to Luke that the Emperor is strong with the Force as well.

Perhaps he was impressed with the emperor's ease of unlocking.
    Barry Burton: You, the master of unlocking...

10. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    DamonD: and was also confirming for the first time that Palpatine was a Force user.

In ESB the Emporer did say that he had "felt a great disturbence in the Force" So at least the audience knew that the Emporer was a force user.

I do like the idea that it was generally unknown even during the height of the Empire that the average citizen did not know that the Emporer was a Force user.

Yoda did seem to know, however and gave Luke this warning: "Beware the powers of the Emporer or suffer your Father's fate you will."

Furthermore, Luke was warned even by Vader himself: (I'm probably slightly misquoting) "The Emporer will show you the true nature of the Force. He is your master now."

At any rate I bet Palps had a remote controll installed in that throne that undid the lock. Kind of like when I go through the automatic doors at the grocery store and "use the Force" to open them. :D

I'm such a geek.

11. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    In ESB the Emporer did say that he had "felt a great disturbence in the Force" So at least the audience knew that the Emporer was a force user.

Yeah, that's a fair point.

12. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    When Luke surrendered to Imperial Authorities, they took him into custody since he was a rebel. It was a necessary procedure.

13. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    I realized something watching Attack of the Clones the other night:

If you noticed when Anakin, Padme, and Obi-Wan were being cuffed to those columns in the colleseum on Genosis they didn't use the Force to free themselves from that, so apparently it is possible but requires utmost skill in the Force to easily loosen bonds as the Emperor did in ROTJ.

Wow that was a long sentence.

14. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

Padme didn't seem to have any trouble with those cuffs.
    Smart girl. She unlocked hers, yet Obi-
    Wan and Anakin remained cuffed. Mmmmm. I guess the force was with her.

15. Eva_Pilot04

Eva_Pilot04 Jedi Knight star 7

Nov 15, 2001
    Wasn't it stated somewhere (or maybe someone just speculated) that the Geonosians fused the locks on Obi and Anakin's binders because they knew they were jedi?

»Who dares wins«

16. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    I don't know if they fused the locks or not however, it would take precise control to manuver the little parts in the cuffs and unlock them. I wouldn't be suprised if some Jedi can do that but it's not probably something all of the have learned how to do.

17. JM-Broughy

JM-Broughy Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2004
    I think that luke perhaps would hav found a way to get out of them but he just wanted to play along so he could challenge the emperor and meet his father again

18. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    I can't agree with that; at that point in ROTJ, Luke is still a "toddler" when it comes to the Force.

Granted, he is indeed powerful, as the Emperor has forseen. But that would take a LOT of very fine control to accomplish.

Think of a surgeon. Anybody can cut somebody open and start snipping arteries. But it takes years of training to do it right.

19. Meatypants

Meatypants Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Yeah, and Luke's just been through a lot of very precise Force training on Dagobah. But he had no reason to break his restraints in the DS2 because he surrendered voluntarily.

And I agree that his shock relates more to the fact that Palpatine wants him free, calls away the guards and isn't afraid of him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.