main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST A round of applause for JJ and his infuriating Mystery Box!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darth_mccartney, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    So sure are you? :)

beachdude42 and Force22 like this.
  2. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

It's not a "big IF" though; all of what MSW said has been borne out by everything released officially. Can you cite anything that has been debunked from MSW so far?

Poe loves Rey likes this.
  3. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    "makes me glad the Mystery Box will go big booma as of Thursday..."

Well, yeah. I don't think JJ ever intended it to be otherwise. The intention was to make sure that broadly, by this point people won't know the film and will want to stay spoiler free for the last leg

4. SaintKenobi1322

Jul 17, 2013
    I don't have to, because that's not what I said. I said their 'beats' have been correct so far, but there is a ton of missing information from their outline. Their beats have been 100 percent so far, as far as I know. There's still a metric ton that we don't know. There are plenty of theories, but none of them are confirmed and most are based on common sense.

We won't know for sure if MSW's outline is 100 percent until we have seen the film.

beachdude42 likes this.
  5. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Applauding mystery and lack of info in the spoilers forum... lol

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The biggest mistake Lucas made in 1999 was letting the script get out weeks ahead of the movie. That more than anything opened the floodgates of advance criticism.

Abrams has kept that locked down. A huge accomplishment. No one has been able to debate the merits of the dialogue, because we don't know anything said in the movie other than what we've seen in the trailers/tv spots.

There are some major plot surprises left that haven't yet been revealed, like the death of Chewbacca. I know some hardcore fans are expecting this, but it's going to be a huge shock to general audiences.

7. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

I get what you're saying, but I think at this point, we have the skeleton of the film. Hats off to all involved if not, but I think we're just lacking flesh on the bones, really.

SaintKenobi1322 likes this.
  8. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Many sources also say Snoke is Plagueis. Suer we learned tonns of stuff and even more today, but we are like hours away from the world premier. That is still amazing if we take into account how big the star wars hysteria is.

9. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

I reckon there's quite a few of us on here who WANT spoilers, but don't WANT to want spoilers, and are grateful that we haven't had everything spoiled. At least, that's how I feel

10. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Agreed. The script for TPM should definitely not have been released as a readable document until the dust had settled quite a bit. Reading the script before seeing the film would not have been a good idea for anyone.

11. SaintKenobi1322

Jul 17, 2013
    Got a question: Chewie instead of Han, or both?

12. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Some of you guys are RIDICULOUS. If you don't read spoilers, you shouldn't know much. But if you read the script, the plot spoilers already, it's your own damn fault!

Most of the movie is totally NOT spoiled for any of us who don't go look for spoilers!

I don't know how many minutes we actually got from the TV spots and trailers, but it doesn't seem like anything big whatsoever.

beachdude42 and Force22 like this.
  13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    They seemed to be pretty determined to criticize it so what real difference does it make?

The bottom line there is that those few didn't get what they wanted.

Here they are very likely going to get what they want so if anything this time it should have been put out early.

14. Force22

Force22 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    I think there's still a mystery box even for us spoiled brats.

- We don't know what Luke looks like.
    - We don't know exactly what he is doing or why he is away.
    - We don't know with certainty if Rey is related and to whom.
    - We don't know what exactly happens between Han and Kylo and how Han dies.
    - I'm pretty sure Finn is force sensitive, but for a lot of people, they still aren't sure.
    - We don't know exactly the nature of the object BB8 carries and how exactly it helps find Luke or whatever.
    - We don't know why Kylo no longer needs the lighsaber once he has Rey.
    - We don't know what caused Kylo to turn.
    - We are not sure what Snoke looks like or what exactly he is.

Seriously, I could go on. I don't know, I'm annoyed cause I want to know, but it's true that it increases the hype for the film.
    Bravo. =D=

15. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Actually, the good will and hope before the bad word of mouth for TPM was comparable to for TFA. If anything, a combination of factors meaning that geographical location, access to the Internet, willingness to read novels etc meant that for many people, their first viewing of TPM was reliant the execution, not just the ride, because many of us had easy and official access to the story before the film.

I don't really think that there is any good argument, in terms of from a fans point of view, for deliberately engineering a situation where the primary, most important way of telling the story (the movie itself) is released later than behind the scenes stuff of interest (a script ) and secondary ways of telling the story (the novelisation)
    I doubt that there is anyone, anyone at all, who was undecided about seeing TPM until they read the book or script. It made no sense to do that.

hippie1kenobi likes this.
  16. Jedi Dragon D

Jan 24, 2013
  17. SaintKenobi1322

Jul 17, 2013
    IMO -- and I hope this isn't too much about the PT to be posted here -- I think the bad word of mouth started long before the script leak. I think it started the second we found out Anakin was going to be 10. I think I was among many who didn't expect that. Contrast that to the ST which has had nothing but good word of mouth, starting with the shocking (to many) news that Harrison Ford would return.

It seems like people are rooting for this movie in a way they weren't TPM.

beachdude42 likes this.
  18. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I'm sure a lot of people who were disappointed with the PT are rooting for the more OT-looking TFA , hoping that it "makes up" for it. But it's kind of hard to compare the hype to TPM, when internet and social media wasn't as big.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  19. Jedi Dragon D

Jan 24, 2013
    I am not a mod, but I believe we do have this bannable policy here of not debating OT vs PT or PT's quality.

20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Even without it, the hype for TPM was off the rails. It was honestly bigger then this. Disney IMO has tried to tamper expectations at every turn therefore they haven't really overloaded everyone with SW until the past month or so. That wasn't the case in 99'.

21. SaintKenobi1322

Jul 17, 2013
    It's frowned-upon on this particular board, because it quickly goes off-topic and gets into a debate about the merits of the PT rather than a discussion of how the PT ties in. The first comment is fine, but then it gradually goes off the rails from there, and the mods get cranky. There are other threads for that topic and they would rather it stay there.

mavjade likes this.
  22. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    Kudos to JJ for the mystery box. I'm satisfied with how much I know about this movie. A little bit, but not too much. Thursday can't get here fast enough!!

23. Jedi Dragon D

Jan 24, 2013
    IMO, you can't ruin a movie, regardless Mystery box or not, unless the movie is fundamentally just not as good.

See if a movie is so very well acted maybe even Oscar-worthy-ish, the plot is more than fine (as long as it's not stupid), and action is so spectacular.

These academy folks might be biased against an action movie, to not nominate it (Mad Max is kinda hopeful for this trend though) but for the majority of movie goers that's a better movie than any of the indies and movies that have much less action.

The point is, no matter how much you know about the plot already before the movie comes out, whether there is this mystery box or not, when this movie is so good like an Oscar movie, it doesn't matter. It won't be ruined! Quality movie is a QUALITY movie.

24. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    The great thanks is not only J.J. but the entire production crew, well the vast majority of them. Some spoilers are healthy but if you want to Quarterback this thing, there were some leaks that really should not have happened. But all and all I think we ended up in a great place with the movie still a mystery, almost completely intact for regular movie goers, and we got to have our fun discussing this movie.

Really a win, win, win. Let's just hope it continues for Episode Eight and Rogue One.

DarthBreezy and Force22 like this.
  25. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I agree with the OP 100%. We still haven't really heard/seen much from the movie, even at this stage.

light_sabe_r likes this.
  26. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I just saw MI:3 for the first time the other day. Speaking of mystery boxes...did we ever find out what the rabbit's foot is/does?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.