main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST A round of applause for JJ and his infuriating Mystery Box!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darth_mccartney, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2015
  2. UberJediPaul

UberJediPaul Jedi Master star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    It leaked ....... all of it .........the lame mystery box concept failed yet again you cannot keep major spoilers nowadays its not possible when someone can upload some data onto the internet anonymously!

Michaea and LANDO_ROCKS like this.
  3. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    All of it? Really? That's funny. We still don't know everything.

SaintKenobi1322 likes this.
  4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    This is the point.

The actual audience vs the few.

5. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    People can't tell logical conclusions from fact. I don't care if every word MSW posted ends up being 100 percent. We still didn't KNOW until we saw the film.

Darth_Corvus and JediRocks74 like this.
  6. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Was Abrams mystery box for Star Trek Into the Darkness actually Khan Noonian Singh, I can't remember now???

7. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Chewie finally pays off his life debt to Han by sacrificing himself to save him.

JediRocks74 likes this.
  8. Solosaber

Solosaber Jedi Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    Ive got 2 words for ya bro: Blue Harvest

Its possible you know nothing at all.

Right when you think you have the answers...JJ changes the questions!

9. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    The hype period for this movie was truely awesome.

See you guys around for Rouge One!

10. themuzikman

themuzikman Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2013
    I think many people have confused what the term "Mystery Box" is implying to. It isn't the mystery surrounding the movie, tight-lips around the studio, or Disney's attempt of controlling leaks.

It's more of a term that is applied to the events of the movie itself upon viewing it. Like JJ says, not knowing who Leia was or why she needs Obi-Wan's help, when first watching the first few minutes of ANH for the first time. That is the mystery box. Things that haven't been explained to the audience- plot points, character details, etc. The stuff that has you asking questions while watching the movie. There is a TED presentation that J.J. did solely on the Mystery Box, I believe you can find it on Youtube.

Having said that, I do commend efforts to contain leaks, although they obviously couldn't stop everything.

Michaea likes this.
  11. Force22

Force22 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

So... apparently, from what I'm getting from spoilers, none of these questions are answered.

Wow, you know, I thought the point of the mystery box was for people to open and find a surprise, not to leave things unanswered.

I'll watch the movie. As of now, I feel like [face_clown]

Michaea likes this.
  12. AdamDemamp

AdamDemamp Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2015

None of that is really important to the plot. I'm sorry but if you can't accept this is a movie about new characters in a new era, then you'll be disappointed. It was made clear a year ago almost that Luke had a cameo role, and if you thought the mythos of who Snoke is was really going to be a huge plot point, then you were gravely mistaking. ANH spent no time explaining who the Emperor was, why would this be different.

13. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I think everyone is still full of crap. I have a hard time believing they didn't make people sign waivers during the premiere.

14. Force22

Force22 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

Yeah, cause all my points were related to wanting Luke to have a larger participation and the whole mythos of Snoke to be explained... It makes total sense not to explain the murky past of the new characters such as Rey or the motivations of Kylo Ren.

15. UberJediPaul

UberJediPaul Jedi Master star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    Pastebin & Reddit Leaks answered all those questions & a whole lot more!

16. Michaea

Michaea Jedi Knight

Nov 29, 2014
    I love that it leaves things unanswered. ANH and ESB did the same in many ways. The movie was not written to satisfy curiosity or to explain things, it was written to be a new story seeing the galaxy with new eyes. We are not supposed to know anything more than the protagonists know - just as it was with the OT. It is an experience, not an exposition.

17. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Well said. I am so excited to not know anything going into this movie. Our IT director is taking his team, along with me (the designer) to a Friday Morning viewing at a local theater to see it. Paid time of too, and the company if footing the bill for the tickets. I am so friggin' excited.

Import_Jedi likes this.
  18. light_sabe_r

light_sabe_r Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Agreed... OP has it nailed. It's still a mystery box.

By this point my now husband already had the "screener copy" of ROTS and I'd read the novel and listened and debated in here John Williams brilliance for both ROTS and AOTC...

In 26 hours I will be watching... That's exactly how long I was in labour with my son for. I did that - I can do this...

If I didn't have my three year old, I would be watching in less than eight...
    There are tickets available at one of four sessions being run in the only cinema complex in my town... and I am contemplating sneaking out and leaving my husband and child for three hours in the middle of the night but that would be reckless... or would it...

Only Eight hours until it's SCREENING here in NZ... I'm hoping to god the press here don't blow the story it on the news tomorrow morning.

THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME.

19. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    It was all spoiled ages ago, the only thing left were minor details.

Mystery Box only ever worked with LOST and that was because the show didn't actually have any answers for their gullible fans.

20. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    As someone who just watched the whole series for the first time recently I'd disagree. Regardless JJ Abrams was only involved with the pilot.

21. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Saw it! It was EPIC. Loved 90% of it. Yes, it's not a perfect movie, and it sure as hell isn't a Lucas SW movie. That's not a negative words George Lucas. Yes, it was very "Star Warsy", but it was a new breed of Star Wars with a lot of similar stuff that makes it "Star Wars". The new actors were really great. As each scene moved to the next, I was genuinely on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens. For me, it was a very different movie from the originals, and the prequels, which I was hoping for. But it was also like "coming home" :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.