main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A saber tutorial for a not so cheap but still cheap CUSTOM saber!

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by DarthIvan, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIvan

DarthIvan Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2006
    Easily to say the least, I'll do it like a recipe, I was once a chef.
    ingredients:
    1 metal tube (Like a chrome pipe)
    2 D batteries*
    1 roll of brass or silver wire
    4 led lights
    1 small cardboard card
    2 brass fasteners
    1.paperclips
    some plastic or anything that can shape the blade
    intructions:
    1. First check the supplies to ensure that they are all usable and still working
    2.Rig up the wires to the batteries with a long line of wire all connecting to a led light, then make a switch by putting both brass fasteners onto the card and a paperclip conecting the two tops, on the bottom, make a gap in the middle of the circuit and rig the switch on.
    3.Put the battery part inside the tube and saw part to make the switch stich out.
    4. Insert the led lights into soem plastic or something like that to make the blade
    5.attach the blade to the tube
    6.Use any other materials to customize it to make it your own. Tips:You can use rubber rings to make a grip and a metal ring to put on it.
    *Depending on the brightness you want the saber to be or how long the tube is, you can add or decrease batteries.

2. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    Have you tried this yourself, and if so how much was your total cost (American)?

3. DarthIvan

DarthIvan Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2006
    Well, yes, but I destroyed my saber already. but I still have the reciepts and junk like that. The total price was only like 30 dollars since I found most of the stuff liek batteries and the cardboard

4. Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2005
    a cheaper variation:

purchase one roll of wrapping paper. use the wrapping paper on things like gifts, boxes, favorite pet. When the paper is all gone... viola! Instant lightsaber!

Hint: make a deluxe version with sound by making a sustained "V" sound with your mouth.

Super Secret Hint: Once your lightsaber has been through enough battles the energy blade will begin to break down. Do not throw away! Your lightsaber has been transformed instantly into nunchucks! Two weapons in one!!!

5. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Wow, you destroyed it already, huh? It must have been really well built. :rolleyes:

I suppose this might be a good recipe, if you were 10.:p

6. GreytaleNovastar1138

GreytaleNovastar1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2005
    "Easily to say the least, I'll do it like a recipe, I was once a chef. "

[face_plain]

Very interesting. For G0d's sake... no offense, but this thread should be closed. You can buy a plastic hasbro for $10 and it would last longer than the chef boyardee one here.

In the meantime, there are people who have spent MANY many an hour on EL, LED Luxeon, and so forth and those technologies are well beyond kid n' play.

And--what the heck is "not so cheap but still cheap"? o_O Welcome to the wonderful world of oxymorons.

7. UltraSWG

UltraSWG Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 20, 2005
    All joking aside, alot of custom saber makers will probably agree that this is the hardest step in the whole "build a saber from scratch" process. Yet for some reason, people who have never built a saber seem to think it's nothing - a one line step that requires little thought.

8. GreytaleNovastar1138

GreytaleNovastar1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2005
    Amen to Ultra (as usual!) Totally right.

By the way, I think it's bloody cool of you Ultra to now add both Tim and Joe's store links! Bravo to teamwork!

9. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    How do we even know this guy was really a chef? [face_thinking] We can only take his word for it, since there is nothing at all about him in his profile, like his age.o_O

He's probably a 14 yr old kid. I don't know why an adult would make a lightsaber this way, if he's really even done it.
    :rolleyes:

He doesn't get into any detail on how to make a blade, either. 4 LEDs is not going to be a well lit blade. I spent months figuring out how I wanted to make my EL blades, even with reverse engineering one I already had, because I wanted to improve on it.

And what the heck kind of wire is he using? Uninsulated? I've never seen brass wire before, unless it's for making crafts, not for electronics.

He gives no details on how to contruct this saber at all.

Why would anyone want to try to make a switch anyway? :confused:

I think he just made this up, to see if anyone was foolish 8-} enough to actually try it, so he could laugh at them.
    [face_monkey]

10. DERTHH_MAWLZ

DERTHH_MAWLZ Jedi Master star 1

Aug 5, 2005
    I have to say, after seeing that recipe, it's no wonder he USED to be a chef.

11. GrimaOllak

GrimaOllak Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2005
    Bwuahaha, I can see it now...

Step 1: Get a big pot and throw a bunch of ingredients in.
    Step 2: Cook 'em.
    Step 3: Taste and see if it's good.
    Step 4: Serve if it's good.
    Step 4 (alternate): If it's not good, go to Denny's.

;)

12. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Sorry to spoil the fun kids, but we have enough sabre tutorials on the go already, thanks! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.