main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ A sad day for Conservation

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SithForceLord, Sep 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    By now you will all have heard of Steve Irwin's untimely and tragic death.

Not everybody liked his style but he brought things like conservation & herpetology out of the shadows and made them kinda cool. The real shame is that he was only just getting started in terms of highlighting the worlds conservation issues...

He sure as hell wouldn't blame the sting ray and like I've said in the past if I die I'd rather die doing something I loved (than a car accident or the like). And filmed a segment for his 8 year old daughters upcoming tv show is a pretty apt way.

I'm sure that it was a freek accident and that the cameraman and Steve's positions just spooked the stingray, which are usualy dosile creatures. Pity the barb just happened to go straight into his heart, as he may have survived if it hadn't.

Very sad day!

My client and I had talked earlier this year about going over to Australia Zoo and getting trained to handle snakes (in case of a biosecurity incursion here in NZ) and I was looking forward to hopefully meeting the larger than life man.

He really was this new generation's "Sir David Attenborough" and he will be missed. :_|

2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Yes very sad indeed. :(

I always thought he was a bit of a jack-ass to be honest. Hell i even went on thh Undie 500 dressed as him, spouting off his now famous catch phrase 'crikey!'

However just this year me i went to Austraila Zoo in Queensland and boy was i impressed. The amount of time and effort that was put into that park was amazing. It was not your typical zoo with small enclosures. This place is massive and all the enclosures have everything the animals need.

So uyes he will be sorely missed as he has done alot for conservation around the world.

3. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Anyone catch Rove last night? Had a clip of when Steve was on the show, Classic clip of him wrestling a blowup croc in a paddling pool, then Rove jumps in, in his suit and goes "oh, crikey I think there's a snake in here too steve!" cause steve grabed him and the croc and was splashing around! Clip ended with Rove on the croc and steve on them both and huge smiles on both their faces, soaked through.

Classic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.