main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A sad thought for me...

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Vezner, Sep 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I have received many e-mails from many people (who I won't name, suffice it to say that they never liked me to begin with), so I decided to post here to make something clear.

I am not saying that Purists are members of the KKK. I am not saying that Purists are Nazis.

I am saying that I often (though not always) feel repressed and hated just because I'm an EUer.

Let me make another thing clear: I used the 1960's South and 1930s - 40s Europe as a...I don't know, simile sounds right.

EDIT: And to those at SotJ, come over here and say those kinds of things about me. Cowards. :mad:

2. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    You have nevertheless made the comparison. I don't care what you think your provocation was--and I freely admit to being an SotJ member, before you start trying to "out" me--there is simply no excuse for it. I filed objections at SotJ as well when someone with whom they disagreed was called a "Gestapo."

Back in the days of yore, when Usenet was still a big force in online discussions, most of the groups I belonged to had a rule that if Hitler or Nazis were brought up in any context other than discussing WWII history, the conversation was over. I think it's a good time to revive that rule.

3. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    What the hell are you all doing discussing race relations on an SW message board?

Next person who mentions racisim in any capacity gets a straight-up 24hr ban. This is not appropriate content for a non-spoiler thread.

[face_plain]

4. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    Thanks, DA.

Now, on to the rest of the discussion.

I think the problem with a SW TV series is that it would become episodic, almost by definition, and episodism tends to destroy myth (credits to an essay author whose name I have forgotten). There might be some arc created, but it seems that even arced shows are becoming harder to sell. There was an article about that in my local paper last week--networks have noticed that the ratings are going down and people are frustrated at not being able to miss a week without losing track of the story.

But where there's no arc, you end up with static characters, re-set at the end of each episode, and that's antithetical to the "feel" of Star Wars. Despite the jokes of detractors kvetching about "SW Episode 500" or something, Lucas's arc is very tight, and the six movies tell a single, unified story, during which the characters grow, mature, and change, and reach a certain point.

It is very much the saga of Anakin Skywalker and that saga was tied up quite well in RotJ. I wouldn't even say it's the Skywalker family, particularly... and one of my EU gripes isn't even the EU's fault; without Anakin in some kind of prominent position, it simply doesn't feel like SW to me and never will--I went through Zahn and, other quite serious gripes aside, I just kept thinking, And what of Anakin/Vader? Surely, we'll at least get some interaction with their memories of him. If the ghost and the past are forbidden, we still have tons of things to address! But the closest he ever got was the business with the Noghri, and there was no actual emotional reaction to that from either Luke or Leia. Truce at Bakura had only one small, very emotionally unsatisfying scene. And I would have to think that a tv series would have the same kind of problem imposed on it.

Unless they did something like Infinities, with a different AU every week?

Just a thought...

(Heck with CGI technology, they could even do photorealistic animation and age or de-age actors accordingly...)

But that's neither here nor there. I don't think it would work right.

5. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    The idea of a SW TV series is a good one...after Ep3 and the OT DVDs we won't have anymore SW media except for the EU. While that's all well and good, we won't have any films or anything...so a TV series would work well.

However, for it to be made by Lucas - and not just approved by him - it would have to relate to Anakin's story. If it doesn't, I doubt it would get made.

Of course, any SW TV show with lightsabers in would get my vote :)

6. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    A SW TV series would be great, but unfortunately I just dont see it ever happening. I just cant see it translating well to the small screen.

7. jc_stratus

jc_stratus Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2002
    they should wait

wait years and years

until special effects totaly (abosulty) match people then they could recreate mark hamil and the org... wow i just realize how retarded this idea sounds

8. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I'm ok with waiting a few years. I also am VERY ok with an EU series, movie, or whatever. As long as it was professionally done and had GL's ok on the script and etc. I personally think that the NJO would be a cool series that could be made into a TV mini series. The only problem is that the actors are getting old and they may be too old before such a series could come to pass.

As far as Ford and Hamill hating the series, I doubt it. SW is what MADE their careers. I think that Ford, whether he liked the character or not, would do it again if GL asked him to.

9. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Ford hated the dialogue; I haven't heard of him hating anything else to do with SW.

Star Wars is B-Movie; B-movies are good for TV. Therefore Sw is good for TV :)

10. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    A spinoff movie isn`t entirely out of the question.Like Ewoks,only with the PT.I could imagine a Fett movie,or even a small one about Dooku.It could work if done right!

11. Malkuth_Toltec

Malkuth_Toltec Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2002
    George Lucas' Star Wars is about Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. These six movies are the course of this story and that's probably it.

However, some of the replies have seemed a little anti-TV. What is wrong with a television mini series? I think the PT would have been better suited to this than as movies. The only reason they are "movies" is money, IMO.

Some of the negativity is kind of elitist, come on, who really believes that theatrical releases are better than TV shows? Did anyone watch '24'? Nothing released theatrically has enthralled me so since Return of the Jedi.

A Star Wars spin off is not very mouth watering, especially if it has no involvement with the people originally involved. We don't need retarded directors on Buffy and The X Files taking hold of the Star Wars Universe. Were Star Wars more like Lord of the Rings, it would be feasible to have a series. Middle Earth is a sophisticatedly constructed "world" and Tolkien knew every inch of the physical plain and every little nuance in the belief systems of the races, of their attitudes and so forth. He created a world and his stories are about that world so there are a multitude of stories to be told. It is about a family in one sense, The Baggins, but also about other families and all very loosely.

I am currently writing and trying to create a fantasy world of my own. One I hope to write stories about and one that would make use of all visual media, from photography, to movies, TV and even video games. Each with a different focus, with different time periods and different historical events and people.

Were Lucas to have done something similar with Star Wars himself, rather than leave it to other (lesser) writers and creative minds, perhaps Star Wars would have a similar potential but it was always focused on the one family and never on the world created.

It is a real shame really.

12. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    It could be great if done right!

13. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    I'm actually curious as hell to see GL tackle non-SW projects after Episode III.

I say leave it at six episodes rather than drive it into the ground with spinoffs and TV specials that nobody cares about.

I'm pretty sure that GL has established strict creative control on SW and will ensure that things are in place to make it very difficult for someone else to come along later and buy out the rights to make a quick buck.

14. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    who really believes that theatrical releases are better than TV shows?

I'd say that films tend to have a better quality vs. schlock percentage than TV.

There's just more crap on TV versus the amount of crap at the movie theater.

Films also usually have higher production values, of course.

Nothing released theatrically has enthralled me so since Return of the Jedi.

That's too bad. You missed a lot of great stuff in 19 years.

15. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Well its great in a way that the movie series will be finished.

A tv series? well I'd be more interested in the in the time of the Jedi vs. Sith than what happened after ROTJ. Thats best left to the imagination or if you want to believe the EU then use that route.

I doubt we will see a TV series anyway.

16. BLUEJEDI3

BLUEJEDI3 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    I want to see Admiral Thrawn and Mara Jade, and Daala. A TV spin off with those characters would still be a hit to some degree. But i'd rather have some more movies instead. Bigger budget for special effects and scenes.

17. CPsycho

CPsycho Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2002
    There was also DROIDS which was the adventures of C3PO and R2D2 with Captain Antilles (a long haired and bearded Han Solo type).

18. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    There is no need to create a television show, or mini-series just to milk the franchise name....

Windy....but would it be milking money or pleasing the fans? I think that I would love to see a show made.

Who knows, it most likely will be better than the stuff we saw in the 80's

19. phringe

phringe Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2002
    SW TV spin-off.... dodgy acting with a happy ending after 30 minutes each week... I'm not sure I'd be too happy with that or you guys.. Think about what you're saying - you think it would be 'good' to turn the films that we all love into some 30 minutes per week trashy b-rate sci-fi series?

No, no and thrice no...

And I know the whole EU / anti-EU thing ended up there (what was that all about??!!) but I just want to say this:

I like some of the books. I don't like others. If it's a good read, it's a good read. Enjoy it. Change the names if you have to (!) but if something is a well-written piece of literature, then just read and enjoy it.

20. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I have changed my mind about the x-wing series idea. Having a series about Rogue squadron would be kind of cool. Maybe OT timeline or EU... It wouldn't matter to me. I do see potential there one way or the other. Other series like DS9, Babylon 5, Farscape, etc have done well and aren't necessarily poorly made either. If SW was done right it could rock.

21. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    I thikn that any TV series should be limited to the X-Wing series. Anything else would be too complicated.

But the X-Wing books = teh cool :cool:

~monogpfm

22. sithspawn29

sithspawn29 Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2002
    To me, the main thing the movies have that sets them apart from others is the Force. While the X-wing books were decent, the general lack of Force use in those stories made them lesser SW stories. Bottom line for me is that any tv series or new movies should not exclude Jedi from them.

An original story (not the comics) covering Jedi vs. Sith would be an ideal storyline for continuing SW. There would be no confusion/anger over new actors for familiar characters. Also, we would be getting even more "background" on what being a Jedi is all about.

cha-ching....$.02

23. DarthStothe

DarthStothe Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2002
    Honestly, I wouldn't mind a Shadows of the Empire movie (done in digital animation, of course, no live action actorsm can take the crew's place, but we could use their voices.)

Aside from that, if you want anything just look at the Fanfilms section.

EDIT: P.S.:
    Does anyone else think the process of downloading the fanfilms takes way too long?

24. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    While the X-wing books were decent, the general lack of Force use in those stories made them lesser SW stories.

I disagree. I found that the lack of Force use made the characters easier to identify with, which was the entire point of the X-Wing series. We can't all be Luke Skywalker, but Wes Janson or Gavin Darklighter are just ordinary people who work hard to gain their skills. Of course, as the patrons of EUC are well aware, I think pilots are just plain more fun than Jedi.

25. Malkuth_Toltec

Malkuth_Toltec Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2002
    Imperial_Guard

Well, I do exaggerate a little in the use of "nothing." I have seen some wonderful movies in my life. (Although it is always genre pictures that inspire me) I just think that the gap between television and film is no longer great. In many cases, television shows are far more impressive than similar themed movies. Buffy the Vampire Slayer Vs Every Vampire movie ever made, 24 Vs The Sum of All Fears, Patriot Games, any other Tom Clancyesque affair, Six Feet Under Vs any American independent movie other than Dazed and Confused.

To me, it is more about content than production values and also, as a filmmaker, I find TV an extremely liberating medium, especially for those just beginning in the business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.