main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A saga or two separate trilogies?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Fat_Bird, May 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeltaSquad29

DeltaSquad29 Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    What I meant by "The Tragedy and Tedemption of Anakin Skywalker" is basically the title that I would give to the six films as a whole, because that is pretty much what they are. Anakin is the main character, he was very powerful, but even he couldn't stand his ground against the dark side, in the end however (ironically due to love, which is why he joined Palps in the first place) he once again allowed the small bit of goodness in him to be found and used once again.

I agree that the prequels could be altered to further improve the flow of the story. The OT isn't hurting in the story, but I think it would be great if all of the special effects were improved now that the technology is avalible to do so (bigger and more intense space battles, improved lightsaber fights [using close-ups, since you can't really re-shoot anything], CGI Yoda, etc.).

2. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    The Prequel Trilogy's story needs more improvement for a better flow and the Original Trilogy's story doesn't need improvement? Why? You didn't give specifics. Which is why this argument sounds like more PT bashing to me. Oh well, to each his or her own . . . even if I don't agree.

This isn't me preaching which trilogy is better, that is a useless argument around here, because it is all opinion. Every movie saga has the same main characters other than SW:

Back to the Future: Marty McFly, Doc Brown
    Superman: Superman, Lois Lane
    The Matrix: Neo, Trinity, Morpheus
    Lord of the Rings: Aragorn, Sam, Frodo, Gandalf, etc.

So, you're saying that all six SW movies have to have the same main characters in order to be considered a saga as a whole? Sounds like more dogmatic rules in writing to me. Both trilogies feature Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader, Obi-Wan Kenobi, R2-D2, C3P0, Yoda, Owen Lars, Beru Lars, Chewbacca and Palpatine. But . . . these characters HAVE TO BE the main characters in both trilogies in order for them to be considered a saga as a whole, as far as you're concerned. Sorry, I don't agree.

3. Malikail

Malikail Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    I took the part that was in bold out because i don't want to talk about that.

The saga aspect does exist, i won't argue it's not a saga, it's a saga because it takes place in the same world.

For all the reasons you name except a couple, and i don't bash the PT, i rather like 2 1/2 of it.

The "saga" does not feature Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader or any of the other character's you mentioned individually. It's the story of the galaxy and it's republic. It's the story of a powerful family, the last of the jedi, some additional very strong supporting chracters, like Han, and the Sith.

Now i put the part above in bold and italic for a reason, you did not say this in this post but a lot of times it's been mentioned and i want to comment on it.

Lucas has said it's "Anakin's story" and i say that's just not true.

Test it I say to those who believe that, get a timer use the timer durring the scenes when Anakin is on the screen in the PT and get a total. Then do the same for the OT. Then we can compair how Anakin/Vader's screen time reflects his change in the story.

Some of the characters you mentioned are focused more in the PT than the OT and some like Chewbaca are more focused in the OT than the PT.

The truth is you're right it's a saga, but it's a complicated saga, it's not a linear story like most sagas.

This saga is really and rightfuly viewed 4-6, 1-3 the first time, it's not cronological, but the story is better because of the way the focus changes in the stories.

In the first three Anakin is your Protagonist, in the second three it's Luke, they change roles as the hero and focus but with that comes camera time.

This changes the point of view the story is told from, and if you are as attatched to Vader as you would be watching the first 3 then the way his screen time plummets in the fourth is immediately shocking. Not to mention the fact that it's 20 years older than TPM in terms of filming technology will hurt the story's impact.

Lucas did not film the linear 1-6 story of Anakin Skywalker he claims he did, so in that sense it is not the Saga of Anakin Skywalker.

But it is the saga of the GFFA.

4. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    I agree with you that the saga isn't about Anakin Skywalker. For me, it's about the Galactic Republic/Empire, the Jedi Knights and more specifically, about the Skywalker family.

As for George Lucas, I admire him as a filmmaker, but I've learned not to readily accept some of the comments he has made. I've noticed that he has a tendency to contradict what his movies or the SW novels say.

5. Darth_BADLungs_Vader

Darth_BADLungs_Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2006
    I would have to say two trilogies[face_plain] The trilogies are very different.

6. --Skywalker--

--Skywalker-- Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2004
    As much as I'd like to see it as a saga, I find it really hard. This is only because The PT is more hi-tech and when I watched them in sequence, it seemed very wierd between the OT and PT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.