main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Scanner Darkly

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Tabula Rasa, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Just saw the trailer, which you can view here. It looks amazing. The graphics look spectacular, even better than I imagined they would. I'm very much looking forward to this movie. Linklater's quite a good director, I have faith in his adaptating of Philip K. Dick's novel.

2. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    Wow.

I haven't read A Scanner Darkly, but I have read some of Philip K. Dick's other works. At first I was turned off by the animation, but after watching the trailer, I think it fits Dick's style quite nicely.

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Yeah, it looks trippy. Could be good.

4. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Looks like an amazing film if only for the way they made it. The story seems cool too but from what I was told they actually shot it with real people and then applied the effects frame-by-frame. I'd have to verify that to be sure but either way it looks awesome. :D

5. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    I was initially psyched by this film - LAST summer when it was supposed to be released. A year delay makes me apprehensive but Im still gonna see it. P.K. Dick stories ( and this is a REALLY good one ) always get me to the theater.

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It should be interesting.

7. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I'm excited for this one, though I haven't read the book. I'll wait for some reviews to come in before I decide whether or not to shell out full price, or wait for second-run though.

8. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I read the book. I enjoyed the beginning but in the middle it started to get a little 'ranty' and 'screw the man'. That why I enjoy PKD short stories. They just tell a story. Did anyone read the bio "I Am Alive and You Are Dead"? I was hoping it would talk more about his writing and not just his personal life.

9. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I've been excited about this since I first heard about it. The trailer looks great. It's so interesting to see people do different things with film, reinvention happen so infrequently. They're actually starting to use that animation technique in commericals here, anyone see them? They're credit cards commericals of some kind.

Yes, that's true. They shot it like a normal film and then animators painted over every frame.

10. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    I like the look of this and want to see it, but it'll proberly give me a headache.

I'll have to stock up on asprins.

11. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    At least someone finally animated Keanu Reeves.

12. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    lol

Philip K Dick's ideas are usually paradoxically impossible. I doubt this it'll be any different.

13. severian28

Apr 1, 2004

Thats funny because I always thought alot of his ideas were theorhetically probable - much like a Jules Verne in the twentieth century.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.