main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate A school that is still kickin it old school.

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Mar 9, 2014.

1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/23/t...-technology-can-wait.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Sadly you have to pay a lot for it but honestly why most inner city schools don't do it is hilarious. As one parent stated, let them learn computers and internet on their own.

Since some of us have gotten an internet free education its nice to know some schools understand computers are not solution to all your problems.
    I think with the internet revolution moving as fast as it does. Computers need to eliminated to maybe high school and even then limited in its scope. Our Generation helped build the current internet revolution, we grew up without internet and computers in our classrooms. We learned the hard way and look how we turned out.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LMAO.

Try asking potential employers what job skills are useful and what is needed from schools. That's how the developers of the Common Core Standards went about their work.

I can almost guarantee that you won't get "a school that Harry Truman would feel comfortable in" as an answer.

Internet skills are required to even apply for many jobs these days.

I'm sure an "I hate computers we did math with pencil and paper in the 70s and we LIKED it!" old-fart attitude by a school will be useful for kids who are trying to apply for a job in 1955 though.

Draconarius likes this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah, they're not doing those kids any favors.

4. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    That's more of a career-based private school. Which is fine for some students.
    And really, I wish schools were less tech-heavy.

The issue is that the majority of public schools are implementing the Common Core. And in doing so, starting next year, they'll be taking the same test - which is all done on a computer. So really, the tech skills have to be taught in kindergarten or 1st grade so that students are prepared.

Doing math on the computer is VERY difficult, even for someone who is skilled in both math and tech.

5. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    You are insulting the same kids you are trying to teach. Kids are fast learners. Trust me even with limited knowledge of the internet they will be fine. Besides employers would be happy to not have someone that knows all about the internet. The kid that has little use for the internet may end up being the better worker cause they ain't checking facebook all the time. Think about this, in the ten years I have been here, we had google and not much else in 2003. Then we got facebook a year or two later, and Youtube after that. Let's not forget the smartphone evolution. Evolution changes fast, kids change with those a lot faster then we do. I don't think keeping computers out of their minds will do any harm.

6. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    There aren't any technical skills needed to take a test on a computer. its just pick the right answer you think works. Same as a reading aloud or having it on paper. We went to computers for tests cause its less likely to have issues with changing the answers later on.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    eh, I can see some value in this approach for the early years. I can understand computers just fine, and we only used computers in computer class (which was mostly learning to type and how to use outdated search engines like AltaVista). You don't really need to learn word processing and search skills until middle school, maybe. But being completely Amish about tech (as this school seems to be) is a step too far.

Anyway though it's a red herring debate. The biggest thing for schools is to have small class sizes and good funding. Once you have that, then you have the luxury to argue about style.

8. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Listen, history books need to be updated. That's understandable. Math and most science books can be reused from as far back as 1990 depending on the subject. Although most books have worn out by then. So its not always a good argument. I work on cars and that have the newest and the oldest technology. Most of the time I have to problem solve to figure out how to diagnose. Not hook up a computer. In fact one training class I just took on vibrations involved a sirometer and pen and paper to figure out where the vibration was coming from using math. Simple math with just a few known variables. Sure there was a computer program for it but we learned better by doing it on paper.

You learn by doing. Not typing on a computer. Although, typing class is important. Very important so having a class for typing is useful. You don't want to be a pecker all your life.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You really don't want to use math books from before 1990 because all that stuff is wrong now.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Subject is important. simpler maths haven't really changed since Roman times. Above trigonometry it does change. I would say most kids can use the same books up until high school for math. Science yes and no. depends on the subject. History itself actually haven't really changed but you can't use a history book for world history from 1990. But that doesn't mean you can use same books and then teach history from the perspective of the teacher after 1990.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah that's just flat-out wrong.

12. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Whenever the curriculum changes the textbooks must be replaced as they will have been written for older assessment objectives. That is why a textbook from 1990 would be obsolete for any subject now.

As for computers, they are useful tool and while students do learn how to use them on their own schools definitely have the responsibility to teach them for example, how to evaluate information on websites.

But Jello's right. Schools should consider the issue of computer usage after the teacher-student ratio has been sorted out.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    teacher student ratio will always determined by money. Plain and simple. Computer usage or lack there of is about improving their lives without money and working with what little you have to go on. Listen, the argument for computers ten years ago made sense. But now with smart phones the idea that computers are needed in the classroom go by the way side. Getting back to the basics of teaching may be what we need. Let the adults in college worry about it in high school.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Computers in the classroom shouldn't be the highest priority, but they do help the kids.
    * They provide fun learning games, with the kid not even knowing that they're learning sometimes.
    * They help score tests instantly, so the teacher can focus on more important things with her/his time.
    * They provide a break from the usual lecture and workbooks.
    * They help kids with different learning styles.
    * They help kids become familiar with Microsoft Office, which is essential to many jobs today, or at least for later years of education (and with Word in particular, they can see their spelling and grammar mistakes in real time, helping them become better writers in general).
    * They help kids learn how to research, and how to find trustworthy sites, on the Internet.

I'm not sure what the big deal is. How do people think computers are being used in schools?

15. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    a kick to the head that gives me a kick

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, I think the essential disconnect is getting from no computers in school to not getting distracted by technology all the time. Seems like the latter is more a parenting issue.

Also, I was waiting for Ramza to pounce on the math thing. I was not disappointed.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't agree. I teach research skills as young as second grade, and the technology facilitator in my building teaches word processing that young. In fact, those skills are included in our essential standards: the student will use various forms of technology to gather, organize and present information.

I never touched a computer until 7th grade and then it was an Apple IIe and an IBM PCjr, and I can make my way around a computer just fine as well, but that isn't really the point. So much has changed in education just in the past five years mostly due to the realization that schools were operating the same way they did in the Cold War...and many students (us being exceptions and probably many people on this forum being exceptions) were not at all prepared for the current job market. This is the Information Age and kids were still being schooled for the Industrial Age.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ok, I defer to your experience on the subject. I probably was also thinking of more intellectually curious kids (which your "many people on this forum" made me realize) and not everyone. I do agree that the world as it is today is very technologically oriented, and many careers require more than just basic competence with computers just to get by.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Common Core is ****ing stupid, but so is whatever this school is doing.

What are Arabic numerals? :confused:

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm undecided about Common Core.

But they were voluntary for the states (not all agreed to it), and they do give teachers more flexibility than they have right now.