main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Science To Naming Characters?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Cloey, Jul 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloey

Cloey Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 2002
    I've been searching through these threads, trying to find some help on how to name characters for my fan fiction.

I don't want to just come up with something totally random, or something that I think sounds *cool*.
    I want my story to be as close to SW as I can make it.

I've searched websites down, but nothing is helping. I have a female character, her hometown is Alderaan, and she is training to be a Jedi.
    I was trying to build something off that (along with her personality and just who she is) but I got stuck when I read that someone said that there was a *science* to naming characters. i.e. if a character is from this place, then it should end or begin with this letter, or if they are this kind of species, the name should have this many letters, etc....

Is this true? I can't begin my story until my character has a name, and I am so desperate to make the story have an authentic SW feel to it, so I want my character's name to fit in every way.

Any help?

2. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    There may be a science to naming characters from certain planets--for instance, a Tatooine native tends to have a descriptive surname like Skywalker, Starburner, Darklighter, etc. (I'd like to see somebody use the name "Windbreaker" some time. ;)) Different species often have a unique naming scheme; Dug names seem to begin frequently with "Seb" and end with "a", while Gran names often end in diphthongs. Then of course there's Yoda and Yaddle, if only we knew what race THEY came from. If you went to the Databank on starwars.com, there's some decent name research in the Species section.

As for Alderaan, well, I don't know. The only Alderaan natives I know besides Leia were Bail Organa, General Rieekan, and Ulic Qel-Droma. So for whatever reason, they seem to be pretty heavy on vowels. ;) I dunno--like I said, maybe the official site would be an easier find.

3. the_jedi_princess

the_jedi_princess Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    With Alderaan, all the characters I have have last names based on 'Organa'. Some of my names include: Maganna, Langanna, and Manna.

With the first name, I think short and sweet works. My characters have no more then two syllables in their first name, except for one, but he has two names.

4. Julie

Julie Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 1998
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.