main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A second Animated Star Wars series? (George gives hints)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DarthKreVass, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Did I read this right?

Link Here >

Might as well make this the official thread for this for now. Thanks, G_M.

2. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I wouldn't get very excited. If its the show that was hinted at on a previous Forcecast, it is a more kiddie animated series based on the Hasbro Galactic Heroes toyline. Not my cup of tea at all. I suppose it would be the equivalent of Batman: Brave and the Bold.

3. Arden_Kingslayer

Arden_Kingslayer Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2009

You mean to tell me they are going even more kiddie? The current Clone Wars series is already a little to kiddie for me, but I still watch it. I realize the movies/shows are suppose to be for kids, but what's the harm in making one of the spin-offs more for later teens and adults?

4. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Clone Wars is all ages, just as Star Wars should be.

Here's my analogy, Clone Wars is Batman the Animated Series (more family friendly than the movies, but still strong adult themes and storytelling). This new show would be, again, Batman: The Brave and the Bold (or even Superfriends). :_|

I don't think its a great idea, but I also don't watch B:BATB, which many DC comics fans adore.

I think a return to Ewoks and Droids fare would be a terrible idea. But it will find an audience. Again, this is all based on what Jason said on the Forcecast last week.

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I assume he's talking about a second animated series of the Clone Wars, i.e Clone Wars season 2 starting in September.

The 80 scripts I assume relates to the live action series. They seem to have been developing scripts for the LAS since forever! [face_shame_on_you]

6. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Think I missed it? I didn't catch him actually saying anything about another animated series.. but if they do make it, I hope they have the sense to make it 2-D, and possibly include Genndy Tartakovsky again (if he's not too busy with The Dark Crystal sequel). And making cartoons based off of toys? Talk about cheap..

7. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Unlikely. Americans don't use the word series that way.

8. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    Urrgh, not Ewoks. A part of the Star Wars franchise that featured neither.

9. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Um, may I ask... why? Clone Wars is about the most beautiful thing I've ever seen on TV, and perfectly in tune with the movies. Why go back to the low budget "Samurai Jack with lightsabers" style?

10. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Not sure where I stand on this issue, but I just want to point out that the Transformers dynasty at the least, from G1 to its present incarnations, was always tightly interwoven into toys and their sales. XD

The Ewoks series (haven't seen droids) was a fun little show, with some aspects that require a certain amount of experience to appreciate, but I personally prefer the current Clone Wars over that. Similar response to the old Genndy series, but not from an 'age' angle, but more of a 'look hard enough you'll find it' angle. :p

Of course, if they can continue delivering good, interesting stories and solid fun, I'm game. Could even be in similar graphics as Force Unleashed, or the Old Republic cinematic, but I wonder whether that's way too expensive.

11. XCell

Apr 7, 2004
    This show is the most beautiful thing you've ever seen on TV? I'll just say I think you've really limited your viewing experience. And perfectly in tune with the movies? It creates an unecessary gap with the appearance of a (pretty annoying) character (Miss Snips). The show has had some decent stuff, but it's a step down in quality of writing, animation, originality..
    The Tartakovsky cartoons felt more like they were made by talented writers and artists, and smart fans who took it seriously and enjoyed making it, and not just for the 'tasteless kids' demographic. The animation (more creative than the standard video-game 3-D look of this show) seemed to be made by actual artists, people who could.. you know. Draw. This new show feels like the creators don't care as much about quality or the characters, and they're more interested in pleasing the kiddies who will watch it (along with Power Rangers and iCarly) cause it's got lazer guns and robots and lightsaber battles..
    Plus, I'm sick of 3-D animation. I'm ready for 2D to make a comeback and bury 3-D with a vengeance.
    So, yeah, if there's another animated series.. Tartakovsky and 2D, please.

12. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Your opinion is certainly your own right, and remains highly valid in an era where 3D shows are increasingly mass-produced with little distinguishing differences (take, for instance, the umpteen number of 3D cartoons about animals that focus more on making 3D animals than diversifying their humour styles), but I'd advise against stating it as if it was a fact, as well as dismissing/downplaying the efforts of the show's creators just like that. It certainly doesn't help that it sounds like you're writing off all the time and effort that goes into it. Heck, I'm sure even Jimmy Neutron or the Penguins of Madagascar had a lot of painstaking care poured into them.

It's interesting to note, though, that it's the 2D shows (modern ones, that is) that focus more on distinct styles of writing and action (Samurai Jack, Justice League, Transformers Animated, El Tigre, Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, heck, even Codename: Kids Next Door, Spongebob Squarepants and Fairly Oddparents), so I can understand where you're coming from. Under most circumstances, given a list of shows, I'd actually pick the hand-drawn (or heck, computer drawn) 2D ones over the 3D ones. Clone Wars surprises me, though, in that I actually hold it in a similar regard as I do 2D shows.

That said, TCW is actually the best 3D series I've seen in a long time (compared to its gimmicky, blocky and cash-in predecessors). Its accomplishments in its action, storytelling, and characters actually mimic, approach, and in some cases, even match those of conventional modern drawn-cartoons. You could argue it's any of the flaws mentioned, but it can be counter-argued that it's 'Star Wars adventure, not gimmicky', or 'more like Genndy, not blocky', or even 'Star Wars has been doing the cash-in thing for a LOOOOOONG time'.
    It falls short (so far) because firstly, it suffers from time cuts and a chaotic production line, and secondly, it has yet to perfect its storytelling mechanics. The first flaw, I'm sure, will be dealt with as we go along. The second is up for grabs, because we don't know where they plan to take things like MORAL AMBIGUITY, HEROIC LOSSES, or even the handling of multi-episode story arcs.

In any case, whatever style they use, so long as it's presentable, my main concern will remain the writing. Well-made action is a close second, because hey, who ever heard of Star Wars without action? :p

Hmm. Maybe they'll go the anime route and simply adapt and animate canon events from videogames. Not that I'd mind seeing Revan or Kyle Katarn in action. [face_laugh]

13. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Actually, DC Comic fans are hating B:BATB. It has a REALLY LOW score on TV.com (5.0 out of 10 last I checked).

14. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    I'm sure you mean a SECOND animated series. A SECONDED animated series is something like this:

Lucas: There should be another animated series.
    Random other LFL exec: That's right.

15. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    My Bad :)

16. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Meh, I happen to agree with you, but I know a lot of Silver Age fanboys that are obsessed with it. I don't get it. But if the ratings are bad, then that makes it suck even more.

This is exactly why shows like the current Clone Wars are needed; to appeal to *all* age groups.

17. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    You know, I'm sold. I'm going to lobby the boys at Pixar and let them know that this CG things is for the birds. From now on I'm watching nothing but outdated optical model effects and Hanna-Barbara repeating backgrounds. And everything in black and white!

18. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    This whole "I'm tired of CG" topic seems so absurd to me. How can you be tired of a particular artistic medium? That's like saying "I'm so tired of oil paintings, I wish they went back to watercolours." That's utter nonsense. You're not tired of CG films, you're tired of BAD films. Because the CG medium has expanded so much in the last years, everybody and their dog is making CG films nowadays. That means the crap/good ratio has reached a very uncomfortable level. There are simply too many cheap, unimaginative, badly written, badly animated CG films and cartoons being released nowadays. That has nothing to do with the CG medium itself. Good CG is good entertainment, and I can't get enough of it. Bad CG is no worse than bad anything else (2D, live-action, what have you). The only problem is that because making bad CG has become so cheap, they're producing it by the bucketload.

The Clone Wars is NOT bad CG, it's pretty darn amazing for weekly television standards, both visually and creatively.

19. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Agreed. Those are some great points there. All things considered, all mediums have the potential to be good or bad. Then again, humans have never been the most level-headed of species, so they often either complain about the wrong thing, or have an issue with the stupid thing. You've got people complaining that a movie Transformer's vehicle differs from his cartoon version, for Force's sake. XD

Back on topic (the topic being this supposed second cartoon), I'd find it hilarious if they returned to Endor and made it some sort of dark, edgy tale of jungle survival and tribal warfare. Ewoks meets End of the Spear meets Shatterpoint! C'moooon, Ewok civil wars! [face_laugh]

20. blitztrooper

blitztrooper Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2008
    Even thoguh at first I wasn't completely satisfied with the series and it's "kiddiness" aspect, I've grown quite fond of it (and I'm over 30 lol) and the series isn't so bad because it has some valuable moral issues adressed as well as some pretty seriosu stuff like people dying, severity of war and so on.

However, I think this is enoguh; we don't really need another series of the same kind. SW was always for all generations, so something aimed just at one age group isn't very fair and SW-like.

21. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Beam me up george for this new Animated Star Wars Series.=D=

22. XCell

Apr 7, 2004
    OK, we have different views of what's artistically/visually better.
    Is something strange about a very powerful Jedi Master tossing a Star Destroyer? He lifted a ship in ESB.
    And.. what, you're saying people who have daughters just wouldn't think Ahsoka is annoying at all? Somehow I doubt that.
    Well gosh. I guess you'll be missing out on Toy Story 3 and Shrek the Fourth then..
    Why's it absurd to be tired of an artistic medium? That oil paintings/watercolors thing isn't really a good example, because there's several of both around. There's not much hand-drawn-looking 2D stuff anymore, and animated movies are all 3D now. Not like I hate anything that's 3D, I'm just sick of how it's taken over and how 2D has become a thing of the past. And I hope that will change soon.

23. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    What is this next Star wars Animated Series going to be about??

24. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    I take offense in you placing these two films together in the same sentence. ;)

So the case is not really about you being sick of 3D, but that you wished they did more hand-drawn 2D productions. That's a fair sentiment. I think it's a pity that Disney closed down its feature film 2D department. I don't really see why the two mediums can't flourish together, be it independently or being meshed into the same production (I loved Titan A.E.). I feel the "3D craze" is dwindling, so 2D could make a comeback. The problem is that currently a 2D production is more costly and time-consuming than 3D, so for the producers it's really a no-brainer...

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I have to echo the suggestion he was likely referring to a "second season" when he said "second series". It's not common to use that phrase in the US, but it's not unheard of (and Lucas works overseas a lot so it may have worked it's way into his vocabulary).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.