main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A second Animated Star Wars series? (George gives hints)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DarthKreVass, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's certainly common usage here in the UK. We refer to (for example) 'the new Dr Who series' when we mean the next season. I have to say that usage was the first that came to mind when I saw this.

2. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    Yes, I agree. Star Wars is for all ages, not just one age group. Every fan knows this. Even TCW is all ages. It is made for fans of Star Wars.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Right- and Lucas has shot a few movies in the UK, so he might have picked it up while there or from overseas actors/crew working in the US/AUS, even if the US distinguishes between "season" and "series" by having "series" mean "show/program".

Out of curiosity, does the double-meaning of "series" carry over there? Is there ever any confusion about whether people mean "show" or "[equivilent to] season"?

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I can't say I've ever been confused by it, and I grew up in the US. When I saw the comments about George, I just assumed he was talking about the second Clone Wars season. Now if there really is a new animated (non-CW) series then I will be surprised.

5. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I also Wonder if theres going to be a second Live-action show?:confused:

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They've hinted in the past that they may spin some characters or other miniseries/shows off from the initial live action series- but who relaly knows what they'll end up doing at this point, ya know?

7. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    I liken this arguement to a quantity v. quality discussion that I had here, about low rent studios having more access to average CG. Its why you get a new movie every week on the Sci-Fi channel, and it always sucks. Being able to make a movie (or in this case a 3-D show or film) doesn't mean it should be made. This however isn't limited to the 3-D format....

I went to see "UP", and saw a preview for some hand drawn movie about a frog prince or some such before hand. I was happy to see a feature length hand drawn picture initially, partly because I am also tired of the run of BAD 3-D stuff myself. Then it set in, this movie is just a poor excuse to break ground in the race department, and is completely devoid of character. I wasn't even through the next trailer when it set in. After seeing a masterpiece like Up, its hard to argue that 3-D is at all lacking as a medium, or that 2-D is quality by default, especially after said preview.

Its really about making a movie/show because you have something to convey to an audience, not simply because you can. I don't think Star Wars as a franchise has cornered the market here either. However, I found season 1 to be of very high quality, and the animation was simply the icing.

The question I would have about a second animated series isn't 2-D v. 3-D, I want to know if its a story that really deserves to be told. If its just some crappy EU jibe that gives the animators an excuse to flash with no substance, I dont see how it will matter what format it is presented in. While I am a fan of the franchise, not every story (SW or not) needs to be put on the screen.

8. adenry

adenry Jedi Knight

Mar 26, 2009
    Lucas also informed attendees that he is working on literally 40 screenplays for television including the development of a second Star Wars animated series.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I understand is that he's working on screenplays for a second Star Wars animated series. Now, Lucas animation is working on season two since before season one had even started airing. It's highly unlikely for them to be still working on screenplays, that being the first phase of creating an episode. They should have even corrected all the smallest details on the screenplays already. And we know for fact (from the force cast I think) that concept artists are now working on season three. So if Lucas is working on screenplays for The Clone Wars it would have to be screenplays for season three, and he says "second" series, not "third". So...

9. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Your train of thought makes perfect sense. GL can't possibly still be working on the screenplays for TCW season two, as those episodes must already be on the final stages of post-production. What I think that little very misleading line of news actually means is that GL is working on lots of things for TV right now, including screenplays for upcoming CW seasons and the live action show and he is ALSO overseeing production of the Clone Wars second series (which you can either understand as 2nd SEASON or you can realise that after the Tartakovski 2D series, this IS the 2nd CW series).

10. swcolts157

swcolts157 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 15, 2008
    What I'm getting from all of this is that George is making a second Star Wars animated series and that it will probably be that rumored Galactic Heroes show.

Now I don't think it would be too bad if done right: they should make little vignettes set all over the Star Wars universe with characters from the entire saga.

It would be a little like an animated Star Wars Tales, they wouldn't have to be canon, but they would fit in just fine.

11. StarWarrior77

StarWarrior77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2008
    I can't wait for another animated Star Wars series, and I hope it has the same style as The Clone Wars series.

12. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    I'm interested. While I love the Clone Wars and those characters and time period, I'd love to see them move into new ground.

13. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    I've just listened to the latest Force-Cast, and it contains more interviews with GL, and now hearing the full quote I have to change my opinion:

"Now, with Clone Wars, and a live-action show I'm working on, and another animated show I'm working on..."

Phrased like that there's very little room for misunderstandings. It does seem GL is working on another Star Wars animated show.

I do hope it's not the "Star Wars for Toddlers" rumor we've heard, although that sounds quite likely... If they do that, however, I hope they go all out so I can completely ignore the whole thing. It would be terrible if there were some great concepts and characters sprinkled around an otherwise Teletubbies-level show.

14. Bill-Thompson

Bill-Thompson Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 4, 2008
    Please, no Genndy. I hate his character designs, I can't stand his writing style, his Clone Wars were terrible, absolutely terrible. Keep Genndy and his overrated pap as far away from any more Star Wars as is possible, thank you very much.

No, they aren't. Go to any actual comic book message board and you will hear nothing but rave reviews of BTBATB, and that's understandable because it is great TV. If Lucas were to make a SW series in the style of BTBATB that would only be a good thing, because then CN would have two great shows and a good one in The Clone Wars.

15. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    If they do that, Star Wars is officially dead to me. Especially with how great Star Trek is right now. It would just be a joke.

[image=http://www.rebelscum.com/ROTS/rots05ghgrievousfront.jpg]

[image=http://entertainmentnow.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/startrek-6-hr-102708.jpg]

Not that Star Wars is *cough* *wheeze* *cough* too much different right now.

[image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/f/fc/R2-taken_apart.jpg]

[image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/7/74/R2-D2_Anakin_and_Obi-Wan_meet_Ahsoka.jpg]

This is what Star Wars should be right now. It's unfortunate neither are on the big or even small screens.

[image=http://www.rowm.com/images/News_Images/news_090601_swtormmorpg.jpg]

[image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/3/35/Allyourfriendsandallmyfriendsinthealleytonight.png]

16. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I'd hate to think what your opinion of this new series is.
    OK, if no Genndy.. maybe the creators of Avatar.
    And where is this 'Star Wars for toddlers' thing coming from? Sounds pretty amusing, like Dora the Explorer meets Star Wars? Just imagine..

Ahsoka: Oh no! I need to find Artooie. Can YOU see Artooie?
    (Artoo beeping loudly in the background)
    Ahsoka: You see Artooie? Where?
    (Artoo beeps louder.)
    Ahsoka: I can't find him.. What? He's right behind me?
    (Ahsoka turns around and sees him.)
    (They celebrate and do a little song and dance)
    Ahsoka: Yay! Thank you for helping me find Artooie! You're a great helper!
    (Artoo beeps all cute-like)

17. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002

OK, if no Genndy.. maybe the creators of Avatar.

IIRC, Dave Filoni is one of the creators of Avatar.

18. XCell

Apr 7, 2004
    Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko are the creators of Avatar. I think Filoni was one of the writers, though DiMartino and Konietzko wrote and directed episodes too.

19. Bill-Thompson

Jul 4, 2008

20. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Agreed, going back to 2D is like switching back to dial up. Whether you like the Clone Wars or not, one can't deny how much better visually it looks compared to Gennedy.

21. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    That's not really agreeing with what I said. I don't think 2D is outclassed and made obsolete by 3D. They are different mediums, with their own strengths and weaknesses. The Genndy series didn't suck because it was 2D, but because some of the designs were silly, the storylines were laughable and the action was exaggerated beyond the breaking point of ludicrousness.

22. XCell

Apr 7, 2004
    Comparing 2D animation to something like dial? That is just stupid, (for lack of a ruder word). 2D animation is not some kind of old technology to be replaced and discontinued, like records-cassettes-CD-MP3.
    And no, the new Clone Wars doesn't look better. More realistic, sure. That does not mean better.
    The designs in this show are stiff, with the mediocre, videogame style, (wooden expressions, clay-like hair, annoying bright colors, and I hate these skinny arms on some characters). Storylines are predictable and recycled and also 'laughable'. Dialogue is pretty mediocre, corny. Action is average, not really seeing things we haven't seen already, except for the ludicrously super-powered Ahsoka. Which, I don't get people's complaints that the 2D was so very exaggerated when we see this inexperienced Padawan fighting as well as Yoda and taking command like she's been doing it her whole life. I think it's more absurd that a new young Padawan has escaped Grievous without a scratch (as well as Asajj, twice).
    That's not exaggerated, but seing one of the most powerful Jedi Masters punching out droids is? OK..
    I can take the Tartakovsky 'stretch' better than this new stuff. Maybe because it made it more fun, stretching Jedi combat instead of stretching common sense like this new Clone Wars. That Mace/droid army fight was an awesome scene, and something we hadn't seen before in SW. Jar Jar and Ahsoka saving the day with little gags thrown in are just annoying gimmicks.
    I'm not saying this new Clone Wars is total crap. It's had some good stuff. But the Tartakosky show was definitely better.

23. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    All a matter of opinion, of course, and hardly worth discussing. The 2D series wasn't my cup of tea, and I much prefer the new one. Granted, the 3D show is riddled with problems. Visually I like it fine, but at times I have really hated some of the elements you mentioned (silly gags, overpowered Ahsoka, plotholes, etc). But the bottom line is, I'm having a ball with the 3D Clone Wars, so I'd say it's jolly good. The 2D series was barely a blip in my radar, nothing in it managed to resonate with me, therefore I find it lacking. That's all my opinion, and I understand why other people would think otherwise.

24. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    I liked both the 2D series and the 3D one, but each has its own sort of taste. The 2D one is short, simple and indulged in its gratuitous over-the-top glory. It KNEW it was programmed with a built-in short life-span, so it made the most of it. Like a star exploding into a supernova.

The latest series tones down the action and takes up long term TV goals with its writing and whatnot. You've got character development over a broad range over a wide variety of characters, both major and minor/supporting. Its strength lies in its staying power which, like all good TV shows, win you over as you acquire a taste for the characters. It can expand and tell a wide range of stories, but it still needs to deal with how to tell stories and write characters which, up til now, were restricted to minor appearances or references for a WIDE audience range. As they're finding out, they can't please everybody. I'm personally going to consider it something akin to the building of Rome. You've got the rough stages in the first season, but if they can sharpen it up, we'll get something amazing.

And for your entertainment, the Genndy Series (according to Koonfan XD):
    -The Force Unleashed, without the interaction :p
    -Season 1: Stuff gets blown up like a Michael Bay movie, Kit Fisto smiles and owns underwater, Yoda finds out Dooku betrayed them even more (what a surprise. There are just SO many people who'd give the location of the crystal caves :p), Ventress thinks she won 'The Apprentice' only to be 'offed', leading to a variety of continuity issues. XD
    -Season 2: Grievous does stuff and becomes the Star Wars equivalent of Sephiroth. Little moments of actual Anakin/Obi-Wan friendships are seen. Shaak Ti gets her own fanbase. Plenty of foreshadowing which I hear is big. ;)
    -Nonetheless, awesome action, beautiful filming and direction, and plenty of little moments to get people squealing. A Jedi Knight KNIGHT? Underwater action made AWESOME? Yoda causing an AVALANCHE? :D
    -Yoda smashes two carriers together. 'nuff said.
    -Note: The Separatists never won in any of the chapters except for that brief montage of Grievous' campaigns. Nobody complains about that. :p

25. Bill-Thompson

Jul 4, 2008
    A statement like that will get Hayao Miyazaki to reach across the oceans and slap you in the face.

Seriously though, I really don't get your stance at all. 3D animation isn't an improvement over 2D animation in any way. Some of it looks great, while some of it looks like crap. The thing is, that statement applies to both 2D and 3D. 3D animation isn't some wave of the future, nor is 2D animation some sort of dinosaur, both are incredible art forms when done right, and saying 2D is like dial up just reeks of ignorance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.