A second Animated Star Wars series? (George gives hints)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by DarthKreVass, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    Maybe, and I'm going to take a long shot at this.....could be somthing tied in to the TOR stuff. Might make sense. That means that we get the clone wars part 2 and the prequels in reverse. But a possibilty. I remember in 2005 GL said that if things go good with the animation, he would consider something with KOTOR. I doubt live action, but ...man now I'm wondering.
  2. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    TCW can be enjoyed by all ages but many of the episodes are skewed towards children. The same goes for the PT. The OT, in contrast, actually was "for everyone"... though I suspect the only reason it worked out that way was because of the technological limitations of the late seventies and early eighties. :p

Can you imagine the horrendously stupid 3P0-Battle Droid factory scene from AotC being transferred to Bespin in TESB? Because I can. [face_plain])

3. WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I remember that as well. That would be exciting.
  4. Dark_Jedi_Chris Jedi Padawan

I FOr one am very exited and i wanna see what will happen and y make fun of it it is a very very decent show
  5. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    You know, all this recent talk about CW season 2 being more grown-up, darker and more violent makes me think it's very likely that this rumored 2nd animated series will be a toddler-friendly Galactic Heroes offshoot type thing. Think about it. In season one we've been told that most of the more childsih things in the series were personal demands made by George Lucas himself. Now, we know that he's much more directly involved with season two, and yet it took a turn for a more mature audience? What does that tell us? I think it means somewhere down the road George realized that if he kept trying to make Clone Wars both childish and mature at the same time, he would end up alienating everybody. It was a constant critique of the show the fact that it was so schizophrenic, with silly antics next to cold beheadings. So the decision was made to let the Clone Wars evolve into the more kick-ass thing that Filoni's crew and the adult fans wanted to begin with, and make a new series completely geared towards children. One that older fans could completely ignore and not feel betrayed by, while garnering in the entire eager younger demographic.

I'm all for it. If the price for an edgier Clone Wars series is to have to ignore a silly Galactic Heroes show, I'm more than happy.
  6. XCell Jedi Master

star 4
    Not that I'm against a toddler show, but I don't think we need two different cartoons, one to be 'edgey' and one to be 'kiddy'. One show can be both, it just has to balance those things well without using gimmicks, and not go too far with either. What a lot of people don't seem to like is that season one didn't take itself or the Star Wars universe more seriously. I think it just needs to be more balanced, and not go too dark or too kiddy, finding the right stories and moments, and how to write characters better. And I'd wait and see if they actually make it noticeably 'darker' in season two.
  7. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    I agree. Traditionally Star Wars treaded well the path of pleasing kids and adults alike and that's how it really should be. But lately it seems George has lost some of his touch and so we got a show that is eye-rollingly moronic one scene and shockingly edgy the next. It just wasn't working. If they can't find a way to make Pixar-like entertainment that manages to please everyone, then it's wiser to divide the show, letting Clone Wars cater to the more mature fan and creating a new silly show for the kids.
  8. LawJedi Force Ghost

star 4
    God, if ESB was a phallic object, the money that George could make out of people suc...

Why is the assumption with Star Wars fans that every single moment is supposed to work tonally on the exact same level. Not only that, but every movie is supposed to have the exact tone of your favorite moments in Empire?

We simply have to get out of the habit of judging every moment of Star Wars based on the darkest, most depressing moments of its darkest chapter. It doesn't make you seem adult, dark or hip. It makes you look tone deaf.
  9. LawJedi Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree, only one show should be necessary. At the same time, while I trust Filoni's team, I find the idea of loading a second season of Clone Wars down with limb dismemberment and bounty hunters to seem a little forced. Again, it seems like the veneer of maturity, without any actual purpose but to seem "edgy."
  10. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    Just to clarify. There's a difference between childish and light-hearted, and a difference between dark and mature. Originally Star Wars was mature and light-hearted, meaning something that has deep underpinnings and takes itself seriously, but is not afraid to have fun in the process, as long as the fun is not at the expense of the story. It had its dark moments, but they were few and far between. The problem with a childish Star Wars is that it doesn't take itself seriously, and that's what puts me off. Battle droids are killing machines, and even though they can be amusing at times, they shouldn't be cracking jokes at every turn, that's not taking the universe seriously. By the same token, I certainly don't want Star Wars to be DARK. It was never supposed to be dark. I just want it to take itelf seriously, with consequences to things and some logic behind the story developments.

So, if they feel the need to go childish to cater to a specific audience, I prefer that they do it in a separate show, other than to weigh down a potentially great show like the Clone Wars.
  11. DarthRevan211 Jedi Master

star 1
    To bring up an earlier topic in this thread:

When comparing the two CW shows, at least GT's Clone Wars made Grievous into an extremely badass Jedi hunter. This new series, like Episode 3 before it, has made him into a complete joke. I suppose this was GL's intent, to make him a pansy, but I really miss Genndy's version of the General.
  12. XCell Jedi Master

star 4
    Let's not forget that live-action show they have planned, that one that's supposedly going to be more 'mature' and 'dark' and all that. But I feel TCW can't easily shake off its season one/movie feeling of 'stuff the kids will watch whether it makes much sense or not'. But it could happen gradually. Like Avatar, which had a first season that wasn't all that impressive (but some cool episodes), then the show improved with seasons two and three and became smarter, more epic, with better stories. Hopefully TCW will improve in time too.
  13. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    Has anything else been said about this stuff at the comic-con? Any idea when they plan to talk more about it?
  14. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I've heard nothing whatsoever.
  15. darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm betting we'll get some info on both the second animated series and the LA series at C5 next year. Or at Comic-Con next year.

Next year.
  16. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Probably longer than that- I still think he was referring to "Season 2" as "Series 2"., and even if he wasn't, they're gonna wait till TCW is closer to being finished in a year or two before announcing a new series.
  17. Jan_Wahlor Jedi Youngling

star 1
    He is better then in ROTS.

He got his own episode where he is portrayed as an efficient villain.
  18. Darth_Comrade Jedi Master

star 1
    Steve Sansweet is headed to Chicago for Comic-Con there witha host of Star Wars actors. Apparently there's more announcements to be made there.
  19. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    If anybody goes, please ask him about the second animated series thats in the work. Also ask whats going on woth the release of the Ewoks and Droids cartoon series.
  20. BC_SW_fan Jedi Knight

star 1
    I second that motion! I hope there is a way that someone could ask this question. Ewoks, Droids and the original Clone Wars series are way overdue for complete series sets.
  21. swcolts157 Jedi Knight

star 2
    The original CW series was already released in two volumes, but for a year or so now, they're in the Lucas "vault" if you will, out of circulation, probably not to confuse people with TCW.
  22. DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Wow, the contradiction is amazing. I used to bring up one plot hole after another in CW, each one the size of the Grand Canyon, and everybody would reply, "You're looking at it the wrong way: 'Clone Wars' is for the children!!!"

Anybody who doesn't think that CW is aimed at kids should (a) watch the commercials during the show, which are all for children's products, (b) note that 'Clone Wars' totally flopped on the adult-themed TNT network but has done well on the Cartoon Network, which has an overwhelmingly childish demographic, and (c) look themselves in the mirror.

CW is aimed at children. Period.

'Star Wars' is crack to me, and so I would die for a good SW series. I'm really looking forward to the live action series, but God knows when the heck that'll come around. However, because CW failed with adults but has been successful with kids, I'm guessing that the marketing folks at LFL have learned their lesson and will target the next show to kids, too. (Furthermore, they'll probably hold the live action series back 'til the current generation of CW fans - say, 8 and 9 years old - are in their teens and can watch a slightly more mature show, which is several years from now.)

I think that my dream SW show would be like 'The Twilight Zone': each episode would have a different creative team and would feature unique characters. The reason for this is because the two or three good episodes of CW - like 'Lair of Grievous' - seemed completely isolated from the show's continuity, and also because this'd prevent uncreative hacks like Dave Filoni from insuring consistently poor quality; because, even when an uncreative hack did make a bad episode, the next one would be free of his contamination. Also, the only SW comics that I liked were the "Star Wars Tales" micro-issues, which utilized this 'Twilight Zone'-type format.

Alas, LFL would never try such a product, because they're controlled by their marketing teams, and their marketing teams order them to produce shows that are primarily commercials for the toys, rather than legitimate creative enterprises.
  23. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    Nice to see you back in the forum, sprinkling rainbows about. ;)
  24. DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    And you know what's at the end of a rainbow, right? Rather than a pot of gold nuggets, the end of my rainbows have a pot of wisdom nuggets.
  25. Chewgumma Chosen One

star 7
    You know the legend states that it's fools gold at the end of the rainbow right?o_O[face_laugh]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.