A second Animated Star Wars series? (George gives hints)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by DarthKreVass, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Your contradicting smiley icons suggest schizophrenia. So does the fact that you thought I was serious about the pot of gold.

Just teasing about the schizophrenia.

No, I'd never heard that the myth claimed the leprechaun had fool's gold at the end of the rainbow rather than real gold. So, I just did a quick online search and found nothing that backed up that claim, either.
  2. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    Good grief! And thus start the epic flaming wars over leprechaun's pot of gold.

I say since the pot of gold doesn't appear in the movies, it's EU and therefore completely worthless.
  3. Chewgumma Chosen One

star 7
    Please be aware, I take learning difficulties very, VERY seriously. So engage your brain before typing something so crass.

The original legend about the leprechaun's gold was that as a punishment for his captor's greed the pot of gold was actually fools gold. It's the whole moral message behind the story.:p
  4. koonfan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Partisan views...skewed connotations of what 'children's programming' is...binary questions...one-or-the-other statements...abrasive method of presenting opinions...Ahh, yes. DBrennan. A presence most of us haven't felt since...:p

Well, I'll just keep this short and say I (and probably fans, meaning people who like the series, on both sides of the intelligence spectrum, meaning the noobish OMG guys and the intelligent and not-blind ones) disagree with your diagnosis of the Clone Wars, but will grant that it isn't the most 'adult-friendly' show out there and could be improved, but the show, I maintain, is in its infancy or childhood and has yet to reveal how far it plans to go. Also, you dissed Dave Diloni, my fellow Plo Koon fan and director of Avatar. How dare you. :p

That said, welcome back. Whatever the case, whether you end up disliking most of it or not, I sincerely hope you're able to find entertainment from the upcoming season of The Clone Wars. :D
  5. DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I hope so, too.

Maybe if they bring in more Japanese and other foreign directors - who don't aren't as imaginatively sterile as Americans and whose grasp of English could prevent them from listening to the lisped edicts from the show's producer - there'll be some worthwhile episodes.
  6. Chewgumma Chosen One

star 7
    This is where I have to disagree. Star Wars has always been about having that Saturday morning matinee feeling to it. The Clone Wars has already nailed that feel much better than most of the EU (Something I see you're not much of a fan of either. We have something to agree on there.). And I feel that it's the creative crew currently behind TCW that gave the show that paticular edge. Sure season one was shaky, but like another popular family show Doctor Who, season one was just the learning curve. It needs a bit more time before we see what the show truly has to offer.
  7. koonfan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Amen, brother. That's what I'm talkin' about. =D=

I get the feeling that this will get out of hand, or approach 'just-barely-within-hand' levels, so I'll try and get the jump on Garth by reminding all of us that we should keep things civil, and use this topic to discuss the possibility of a second Star Wars series, rather than the disputed quality of the current Clone Wars series.[face_peace]
  8. DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Since none of us grew up in the 1940's, I doubt any of us know what the heck a "Saturday Matinee" feeling is.

If you mean that a "Saturday Matinee" show has a very, very loose continuity, I would agree. If you mean that a "Saturday Matinee" show tries to maintain epic story arcs, I would disagree. TCW tried to maintain epic story arcs. They were lame. The good episodes were the stand-alones.

Regardless, if you already like TCW, then there's nothing to campaign for, anyway. But I think TCW blows, (save for a few episodes that Filoni & Co. were unable to infect with their hackery - because the director was a prominent Japanese director who was working directly with Lucas, for example).

I think that these narrative-heavy shows - TCW, 'Lost', etc. - get very lame, very quick (or, in the case of TCW, starts out lame and never learns to walk). So, what I'd like is a TV version of the "Star Wars Tales" comic or the "Star Wars: Visionaries" comic. Not every story within those was good, to be sure. But that's what's great: even when one story sucks, you know you can just move on to the next one.

Furthermore, we'd get a chance to have some new directors and writers. In my opinion, Filoni and Gilroy are bad storytellers. I'd like to get a series where there are fresh faces and perspectives. What about if the biggest SW fan amongst, say, Norway's prominent directors got a crack at an episode? What if more great Japanese masters were brought in for an episode?

What about different writers? Some writers who are great with dialogue could have episodes that had memorable dialogue like 'Pulp Fiction' (sans curse words). Others could craft good political tales, romances, alternative "What If" episodes, etc.

I'd love this very much. Alas, LFL appears to be subsumed by neo-con hacks and marketing tyrants.
  9. Chewgumma Chosen One

star 7
    Find a copy of the really old Flash Gordon episodes on DVD to see what I mean. It's surprising how much of a Star Wars feel that they have. They even have Star Wars' opening crawl.

I'm not trying to persuade you otherwise, after all we all have our different opinions and that is what makes for an interesting discussion. Just keep in mind that although you don't like the Clone Wars it's just an opinion. There is no need to force it on anyone else like you have earlier in the thread.

It's the same with my previous example, Doctor Who. Doctor Who is mainly seperate episodes with one hidden underlying theme leading up to the finale, the episodes are a very mixed bag and most of them are good. So I feel that given TCW is on a similar path you should give it just a little time before delivering a definitive verdict on the show.

As for the "Star Wars Tales" idea, I am a massive fan of Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexplained so I know what kind of narrative route you are aiming for. I feel that such a Star Wars show has definate potential however it needs an extremely talented set of writers to stop such a show from being flop.

Well keep an eye out for the LAS. The show is supposed to have hired a wealth of talent from around the world rather than just America, and thats just the writing crew so far. I can't see why ambitious but proven names wouldn't be hired for other important jobs.

GL has already stated before that he looks upon the Clone Wars as a practise run for the main Star Wars project, so don't look too hard upon GL or LFL. If you don't like it fine, just remember a show that is obviously much more 'you' is just around the corner.:)

Anyway please PM me. You've got some very interesting ideas for the future of Star Wars and I'd love to di
  10. VladTheImpaler Jedi Master

star 4
    Good to have you back, DBrennan. I love your posts. Half the time I enthusiastically agree with you and half the time I think you are crazy.

I definitely agree with you that an anthology series is the way to go. There are so many stories that can be told throughout the SW universe. It kind of bugs me that they are limiting it to just one set of characters/one time frame. And a set staff of writers/directors for the live action series would but me too, because I really want to see different takes on Star Wars.

Still, I believe that you are too hard on the Clone Wars series. I think Filoni is doing a great job. The art design and action sequence choreography are as good as anything in the movies. The writing could use some improvement, but there were still some good stories here and there. I have high hopes for season 2.
  11. Sloppy Jedi Knight

star 1
    If they go 2d, why not make it atlantis style

its great, gendys clone wars style did draw some from samurai jack.
    it was more of a hack and slash action play with some adventure/story in the middle.
    But i love his portrayal of grevious

12. WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Knight

star 3
    If it's aiming for a very young audience, I could really see them doing something like the LEGO Star Wars games- clever humor without any dialogue (or next to it). I would imagine this would be 2D, since it's a good bit cheaper. Heck, Hasbro's done the hard work for them already with the character designs. And like Jimmy Mac on the Force-Cast said, maybe break it up with 3 or 4 shorts per episode and have it be a mix of PT and OT. Have it be little tales in the GFFA. This doesn't have to contradict established canon. If they did all this, I think most fans would be okay with this. The Clone Wars series is going a bit darker, so we'll have that, not to mention the live action show, so it'll be a great way to bring in new young fans.
  13. XCell Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd be fine with them going for Lego Star Wars too, though I'm not sure I can see a 30-minute show of it. Think I've only seen one Lego short from RotS DVD, but I liked it. A humorous but clever show like that could be fun, though some people may not like the idea of "more Clone Wars?!" "more kiddie stuff?!" "more Ahsoka?!" (well the last one for me anyway).
  14. WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I didn't really mean the series being LEGO Star Wars stuff, but similar to the humor style used in the video games. It's tongue in cheek, but it's also stuff adults and kids can both find funny.
  15. Chewgumma Chosen One

star 7
    So something along the lines of Laurel and Hardey does Star Wars?[face_thinking] I think an animated Tag and Binks show could be pretty good in this kind of role.
  16. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    Steve Sansweet for the ForceCast:

"You don't build two animation studios and just do one series. We have other things in mind."
  17. Game3525 Force Ghost

star 4
    Nice!
  18. Shey_Tapani Jedi Youngling

I think this series should be about the Imperial Civil War with the NR and all kind of imp and nonimperial factions.
  19. Dawud786 Force Ghost

star 4
    I say Galactic Civil War so that we can get some even heroism beyond the movies for Luke, Leia and Han for the new generation to latch onto.

I'd also like to add that a Galactic Heroes series probably wouldn't be completely out of the question or unrealistic, because Marvel is coming out with a Super Hero Squad action-comedy cartoon and the Super Hero Squad is the Marvel equivalent of Galactic Heroes. However, I don't think a network would want to have two such shows at the same time.
  20. Darth_Comrade Jedi Master

star 1

Oh yeah! That's what I like to hear!

21. ILuvJarJar Force Ghost

star 6
    Im hopeing that it will be based of the OT. With some of the original actors reprising the cvharacters. Surley Mark Hamill would do it as he is now into voice acting.
  22. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm hoping its TOR. You have almost thirty years of head to head conflict between the jedi sith republuic and empire
  23. X-Factor Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well said! =D= I do enjoy The Clone Wars but I'm getting tired of hearing people say that Star Wars should be for kids. Screw that! It's such a shame that neither of those are getting any kind of big screen or small screen treatment.
  24. MaStEr JiMmY PaGe *ZoSo* Jedi Knight

star 1

wow this place has gone to hell. That's not Steve Sansweet's entire statement.

Steve Sansweet said this: ?You don?t build two animation studios and just do one series. You have other things in mind, NOT NECESSARILY STAR WARS"

You can listen to Sansweet speak for yourself here: TFN's ForceCast.net

25. Armchair_Admiral Force Ghost

star 4
    No thank you to either of those; TOR does little more than combine OT elements with tons of Jedi and Sith without introducing anything truely original to the SW franchise, while TFU is about some superpowered, no-personality brat who only works as an avatar for video gamers and not a compelling character that will be likeble on the silver or small screen. Since even my own mother enjoys the CWAS (and she watches way more sci-fi and fantasy shows than I do), I fail to understand claims about how the show can only appeal to kids.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.