A second Animated Star Wars series? (George gives hints)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by DarthKreVass, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brainwash Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yeah, TOR and TFU are okay as video games, but beyond that, there's very little of interest, not enough for a TV show.
  2. Berkyjay Jedi Knight

I'm actually getting tired of two things. 1) This whole adolescent idea that EVERYTHING in Star Wars has to be "Bad a$$" like the KOTOR Online trailer supposedly is. 2) That EVERYTHING Star Wars has to be made for your (the royal your) consumption.

I think everyone here should be ecstatic that they will be making a Star Wars for the young kids to watch. That will allow the Clone Wars to focus more on an adult audience....that's us. You can't have a show that pleases everyone, so you make a Star Wars babies AND a "Badd a$$" Clone Wars.
  3. koonfan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    While I'm not sure where this line of thought will take us, I'm gonna agree with you outright. :p
    To be fair, though, I would say that both TCW and TOR have surprising amounts of hard work put into them (stories, plots, character development, fine tuning it, animation, environments, research, voice acting, etc.), and will both likely be remembered as excellent pieces of work. Whether said hard work meets your standards, tastes, or definitions is a matter of personal preference.

Well, look at it this way. If the program is mature and awesome (meaning it has good stories and action which are handled beautifully, NOT that it's just 'dark and edgy and bad@$$'), then all the better. We've got two quality programs, and will better appreciate the more polished one.

If it's not, and turns out to be made-for-kids, well...is that so bad? I'm sure it'd protect TCW from going too far down that road while opening up possibilities for growth. Does it honestly sound like good marketing to make something that's for children in preschool and then subsequently dumb down the main franchise? Wouldn't that be narrowing your demographic substantially, which is BAD for numbers? :p
  4. Game3525 Force Ghost

star 4
    The irony of all this is TCW has a better feel of Star Wars in general then ethier the TFU and KOTOR.
  5. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 6
    I agree with you about TFU but not KOTOR.
  6. Hoggsquattle Force Ghost

star 4

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how does a guy called Jason who does podcast know what George Lucas is planning??

We can all guess. having a podcast doesn't make it any more valid.
  7. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    All that Jason and the ForceCast do is to report the rumours that come from different sources. That piece of news didn't originate from Jason's mind.
  8. TaradosGon Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I agree, and a lot of the times these arguments for some ultra-serious version of Star Wars are completely unfounded, and make me question whether or not some people even saw the SW movies. All of the films have a certain intentional corniness to them, humor and comic relief are generally over looked when they were always present, and generally intense scenes are few and far between. Yet, people want some intense, no-nonsense version of Star Wars, when Star Wars was never like that.

Star Wars was always aimed more at younger audiences, it just had the benefit of being so different from other films of its time that it drew in huge audiences. If the OT was released today I think it would draw in a much narrower audience. There's the problem of having people that saw something special in the 1970s (or even much later, but having been introduced to SW at a young age) having grown up and expecting the prequels, TCW, etc. to have done the same; expecting Star Wars to be more mature, and something that it never was.

I agree with what someone has said that TCW nails the feeling of SW much more than TFU or KOTOR have. TCW > KOTOR > TFU in that regard. If you had a SW film, show, or game that maintained the same tone as the throne room scene throughout it's entirety, it would hardly feel like Star Wars.
  9. MaStEr JiMmY PaGe *ZoSo* Jedi Knight

star 1
    Let's look at the facts.

In June 2009, Lucas was at some Chicago Event and mentioned that he was working on "two animated series" in a interview with Sandtroopers.com, which you can view yourself here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prRCYKcpyWU

Even though Lucas never stated that the second animated series was Star Wars, nearly everyone jumped to the conclusion it was.

Last month, August 2009, the ForceCast.net had a interview with LucasFilm's Steve Sansweet who stated the following: "You don?t build two animation studios and just do one series. You have other things in mind, not necessarily Star Wars".

More than a few took Sansweet's comment "You don?t build two animation studios and just do one series. You have other things in mind, not necessarily Star Wars" and omitted the "not necessarily Star Wars" part and used it to "confirm" the second animated series as a second Star Wars series.

So this thread is turning into a 100-plus post wishlist for a second Lucas-animated series that likely is not to be about Star Wars.

Then again as a fan of the New Clone Wars, I hope there are more animated Star Wars series no matter the era.
  10. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    There are several rumours that would point toward the possibility of a 2nd Star Wars animated series being in the works. Of course, nobody either here or in the ForceCast is saying that such a series IS in the works. Up to this point it's all speculation, and what's wrong with that? Sansweet's quote can be taken to mean 3 things, either there's a non-SW series in the works; or there's more than one extra series in the works, SW and otherwise; or he doesn't really know anything and is just speculating himself that they could produce more series with the studio.

Either way, it doesn't invalidate this thread. Speculation is the heart of any discussion forum.
  11. Helmet Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Looks like we should have listened to Lucas and Sansweet. Get ready for a CGI Animated musical "Fairies"

http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2010/01/george-lucas-cgi-musical-kevin-munroe.html

Heat Vision is reporting that Lucasfilm is developing an untitled, top-secret CGI-animated musical at George Lucas' Skywalker Ranch.

Kevin Munroe (TMNT) is directing the film, which is expected to feature music from a variety of sources.

David Berenbaum (The Spiderwick Chronicles, Elf) wrote the screenplay for the project, which reportedly features fairies.

12. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    Faries?! I think I just threw up a little...[face_sick]

On the bright side, it could just be a fake cover-up story for a new Star Wars CGI project.

Blue Harvest: Horror Beyond Imagination
    Faries: More Horrible Than Horror Beyond Imagination!
  13. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
  14. LawJedi Force Ghost

star 4
    So he's producing a Disney-style musical. Big woop. Can't wait until the internet explodes with "George Lucas is raping animated musical" commentary.

I'm just glad its a new franchise and not another Star Wars/Indy project.

I kinda liked the TMNT movie, so I have some hope. Let's just hope its not Dreamworks style humor.
  15. TetsuAero Force Ghost

star 1
    I quote George Lucas in that interview: "Now we're able to, with Clone Wars and a Live Action show i'm working on and another animated show i'm working on we're able to explore different avenues of Star wars."

Clearly the second animated show is set in the Star Wars universe.

The animated fairy musical could very well be true as well.
  16. Scolai Jedi Knight

star 2
    I would not be terribly surprised if we got another animated show, possibly either set in the KOTOR era (to tie in with TOR coming out this or early next year) or in the era prior to TPM (animated Qui Gon anyone?). I don't think we'll see a post-ROTJ animated show, though I'd love it. I think George is done with that era entirely. It's sort of creator remorse - I'm sure he looks at the old movies and just sees all the mistakes and problems. I've looked at stuff I wrote years ago and I wince when I read it. I don't want to revisit it, and if I did, I'd want to fix what I already wrote and not make new stuff based on it.
  17. Helmet Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Clearly the second animated show is this fairy musical.
  18. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
  19. TheMacUnleashed Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    QFT! :p

Seriously, though, a fairy musical? o_O This has to be one of the strangest things LucasFilms has ever claimed to be doing.

Here's hoping it's a cover-up for another Star Wars project! [face_praying]
  20. Badger_Legion Force Ghost

star 1
    Can't say I'm interested in this fairy project at all, but it's always good to see Lucas work on something outside of Star Wars and Indy.

Not necessarily. It doesn't really fit the description that Lucas gives. It's not a TV show and it's hard to see how a CGI musical featuring fairies will "explore different avenues of Star Wars."
  21. draemsu Jedi Knight

Fairy Avenue would be different.
  22. Helmet Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The second animated series is a non-Star Wars CGI fairy musical. The Black Rock Ranch animated studio Lucas built is really no different than ILM and the spunoff Pixar. Lucas is no stranger when it comes to producing little critter, such as "Willow" for example.
  23. ZEM Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I still choose to hope that it is a secret Star Wars project, and that the "fairies" are just a cover story... [face_worried]
  24. Badger_Legion Force Ghost

star 1
    Or maybe this fairy movie and the second star wars animated show are both real, but completely separate projects.
  25. TetsuAero Force Ghost

star 1
    Yeah, precisely my point.

Since the musical has not be said to be a series.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.