main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A second Animated Star Wars series? (George gives hints)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DarthKreVass, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kardde20

kardde20 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2008
    imo, lucas should do a rogue squadron x-wing show after the clone wars ends. i really enjoyed michael stackpole's rogue squadron novels and comics. i thought it was very strong material that showed how the new republic started a new government and took back empirial controlled planets. this show would be a lot of fun. i would also love to see zahn's thrawn material up on the small or silver screen in cgi animated form. it's my favorite part of the eu and it accomplishes what lucas failed to do in rotj - actually end the war between the rebellion and the empire, which is a huge omission by lucas. hopefully mark hamill would be open to voicing luke.

2. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    When I watched ROTS, I got the feeling that Obi-Wan had never met Grievous either. When Obi-Wan confronts him, he says something like "You fool. I have been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku." But now they've established that Grievous and Obi-Wan have engaged in personal combat on several occasions relatively early in the war (and I would assume many more times to come). For Grievous to boast about Dooku training him in their 10th, 11th, ...nth conflict (who knows how many times they'll have fought by the time TCW ends) as though Obi-Wan didn't already know just strikes me as odd. Just as odd, in fact, as if Grievous had several run ins with Anakin only to comment on Anakin's age in their nth meeting.

I know the Filoni quote you're referring to, but IMO having Obi-Wan run into Grievous is just as awkward. I'm waiting for the show to get into it's 3rd-5th season only for Lucas to say "screw it, I've got ideas for a Grievous vs. Anakin encounter, and I'm not going to let some stupid line in ROTS get in the way."

3. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    That's precisely my complaint with post ROTJ stuff. If they have to keep fighting the Dark Side and all that jazz, then what was the point of the whole Civil War and liberation of the galaxy at the end of Ep VI? I'd like there to at least be a few decades of peace, but maybe that's too much to ask.

4. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I agree, if they ever did a post ROTJ series. I hope it is 100+ years after ROTJ, with a new Skywalker/new main character and the only OT characters to appear would be Artoo and Threepio. Do I smell a fanfic.:p

5. Timstuff

Timstuff Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2008
    I think you smell the Legacy series. :p

Anyway, there's still plenty left to do after Return of the Jedi ends. Luke still needs to rebuild the Jedi Order, the Emperor has been destroyed but that doesn't mean the Imperial military has ceased to exist, and there are still dark Jedi out there who can be lightsaber fodder even if the Sith have been defeated. I don't like the notion of the EU that the 40 years following the collapse of the empire are bloodier than the entire timeline of the 6 movies combined, but that's what happens when you have serialized content with no end in sight (comic books suffer the same problem). With a TV series, they can have the beginning and end figured out from the get go, and the question is not how many new sagas can we come up with after the original saga ends, but how many stories can we tell during the saga after Return of the Jedi.

Personally, I would love for Thrawn to be the overarching villain for the whole series. If it went on for 5 seasons and Thrawn was still being a pain in the good guys' asses right through to the end, there would be plenty of opportunity for conflict throughout the series. The timeline would probably be a bit different from Zahn's books since the show's writers need some creative freedom, and I don't see Leia getting pregnant with the twins until the the end of the second season at the earliest, but there's a pretty wide breadth of material from the last 30 years to pick and choose from when coming up with stories that can be told in the first decade after the Emperor falls.

6. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    IESB.net is reporting the new series will be a cartoon based upon the popular Galactic Heroes toys. Should be interesting to see how they pull it off, considering the line runs thru all 6 films plus Clone Wars.

7. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Really? Thanks, that's definitely an interesting development.

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8755

"IESB has exclusively learned that George Lucas is currently in pre-production on yet another Star Wars animated series. The key demographic? Pre-School to Kindergarten aged children"

o_O

9. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    :oops:

10. Suzi-Wan

Suzi-Wan Jedi Youngling

Feb 21, 2010
    and yet, as wrong as it is, I'll probably watch it![face_hypnotized]

11. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009

12. WookieeWarrior9

Jun 5, 2007
    The Tartakovsky fans should be happy, since this could potentially be an all action show with very little dialogue.

And we've heard rumorings of this for a long time now, so it shouldn't come as a complete surprise.

13. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    The Galactic Heroes could be cool but it's mostly a disappointment.I mean TCW is turning into the SW most of us want to see,Plus its so cinematic its like watching a Theatrical Movie and to think they could take another series to yet another level is exciting,but instead its Muppet Babies SW style.

14. Cungr_Vanck

Cungr_Vanck Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2008
    You have to be kidding me?! Oh please let this be some kind of joke! They have thousands of years of fictional history, dozens of eras, millions of planets, thousands of pre-existing characters, times of peace, times of war, and more to choose from to tell interesting stories....and they are going after pre-school and kindergarten kids?!

15. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Yeah, well, this makeas a lot of sense. Clone Wars is moving away from being very "kid-friendly", and the LAS should be fairly adult. That leaves the youngling market wide open, and they want to fill that niche. I much prefer that they do an all-out baby show, than to sprinkle the baby stuff in otherwise cool series like CW and the LAS.

I'm thankful we have anything geared for a more mature audience at all on TV. In the past all there was was silly Ewoks, Droids and more Ewoks...

16. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yes, a show about war is perfect for preschoolers. Get um ready fur Nam'.

Seriously though, I am most curious about what their actual plot-lines are going to be. Will it be Rebellion Era or Clone Wars...or not care about the eras?

Wait, they won't make it canon will they?

17. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I thinking of the Muppet Babies, Star Wars style more than anything else. They already have the Superhero Squad show going so I'm guessing this will be something similar to that.

It can't be canon but that doesn't mean it can't be fun.[face_dancing]

18. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    This is embarrassing, particularly when I think about the fact that Clone Wars in s2 has had pretty much the same age focus as the movies. A similar series with Luke, Yoda and Han would have been great.

19. WookieeWarrior9

Jun 5, 2007
    I guess I'm not getting the complaint. We have a series that is becoming more adult and a live action series on the way, so I don't see why we can't let the kiddies have a little fun too. In all honesty, the series probably won't be canon, but it probably won't cause too many problems either. It will probably be a bunch of little adventures the characters have on a daily basis.

I don't know, are Marvel fans complaining about that show? It's a big universe.

20. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Lord help us...........

Lord help us all.[face_plain]

21. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    Eh, who cares. There is already TCW and the upcoming LAS for people like me.

22. JediBendu

JediBendu Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 1999
    Darth Sidious: [Vader's new mechanical body arises from the steam] Lord Vader... can you hear me?
    Darth Vader: Yes, Master.
    Darth Vader: [Vader looks at Sidious] Where is my new animated series? Is is it good? Is it in the rebellion era?
    Darth Sidious: It seems in your anger, you squished it and aimed it at preschoolers.
    Darth Vader: I...? I couldn't have! But Clone Wars was becoming more adult... I felt it!
    [Vader growls, and his Dark Side strength crushes everything around him in the room. He frees himself from the metal stretcher, and steps off. Palpatine has a smirk on his face]
    Darth Vader: Nooooooooooooooooooo!

23. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Actually, my favourite children show is still Tanoshii Moomin Ikka. I don't know if it was shown in USA (Wikipedia says that just in Hawaii). That show had everything: lovely characters, very nice art, philosophy, humour and excitement. I know people from every age group (from 1 to over 70-year olds) who still watch it when it re-airs (In Finland, that is once in two years). It doesn't have much violence nor loud characters, and still it is not toned down for kids. When someone said baroque or renessainsse in an art episode, there was no big-eyed child asking "What is a baroque daddy?" like shows in these days. Finally, it has something very steady in it. (One example: When very cold "monster" is coming, scary music plays and roses freeze outdoors, Moominpappa just takes his pipe out of his mouth and says "Don't worry, she's not going to argue with me. Everyone in this house is safe." (Of course many near-adults in Europe still go behind the sofa when this Groke finally arrives at midnight).

The point is, if this new show has the same spirit, I don't care who it is pointed at, I'll watch it. And actually the question is, how much will Lucas be part of it?

24. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Is this really going to ruin anyone's life?

It's a great idea from a business perspective, and I can tell you that my 3.5 yr old niece was over a few weeks ago and kept picking up my TCW S1 DVD, but I thought it was a little too much for someone her age to watch.

25. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    Yup, would we all like to see another series that is more mature, yes. But it is not the end of the world, there is still 3 seasons of the TCW series left, and an upcoming LAS. There is plenty of Star Wars for us old farts.:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.