main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A second Animated Star Wars series? (George gives hints)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DarthKreVass, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Wyrm

Darth-Wyrm Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2005
    Yea but I'm guessing you weren't in kindergarten at that time.

And...you know...some people are different?

2. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    Whilst it might be true that very young children could watch and appreciate existing SW material, there's a difference between that and creating something that is specifically tailored to their needs. If GL is going to do the proposed show then I think that points to him wanting to use SW elements to make something that can entertain and maybe educate that young age group and just be for them, and free of the complexity that older viewers would require.

So I wouldn't really think of it as SW being kiddified - more likely it'll be a version of SW created specifically for kids. So in that sense it may not really be SW at all, beyond containing some familiar elements.

3. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Well have at it. You want pre school stuff then knock your self out. I hope that you guys read the Filoni interview and focus on the part on continuity. In the end, its George's world not the EU. I'm not old, and personally could care less for the second star wars animated series. I'm really looking for an Indy series. I also don't see were the Clone Wars is getting more serious? Where? Okay maybe a scene or two, but no not by a long shot.

4. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    If this turns out to be true, I can't say I'd be too bothered by it. Much like I don't think The Super Hero Squad Show detracts from the Marvel universe, a Star Wars show based on this toyline aimed at preschoolers isn't going to take away from the Star Wars universe. It's a show not aimed at me, it's aimed at very young children. If they're going to make it, let them. As a demographic outside of its target I just won't watch, seeing as I already have a series designed to entertain a wider range of audiences.

5. Timstuff

Timstuff Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2008
    I can't deny I'm disappointed, but then again this doesn't mean we won't get a Civil War / New Republic era show some time in the future. A non-canon show for the tots isn't exactly going to ruin Star Wars, no matter how bad it is. If anything, it will mean that Clone Wars will be less obligated to pander to the kids who are too young to be watching it anyway.

6. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Whoa, I can't believe I overlooked the whole "non-canon" thing. Kiddie or not, a major SW project that's not going to have to shoehorn into existing continuity is definitely progress. Hopefully more non-canon projects will follow.

Like, say, a live-action TV serial about Luke & co. fighting the Empire. An ongoing series more in tone with the original film than with the Skywalker family soap opera that began in TESB.

7. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    Yeah Steve Sansweet said Lucas didn't create an animation department for just one animated show.And since Lucasfilms slogan has been "Star Wars is Forever" for quite afew years now,I would bet that multiple animated shows will happen.But it will probably take years at a time to develop and get them on air.Lucas himself has said the Live action could break up into 3-4 other live action series' ..so this is a disappointment but probably not the last SW animated series.

8. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I could see another anthology series, alas like TCW. That would cover pre-TPM-ROTJ(Since it seems GL is adamant about anything post ROTJ in his "vision"). Also have Threepio be the newsreel/narrator.:p

9. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    If the Galactic Heroes show is non-canon then I see no harm in it at all. If we want our kids to love Star Wars like we do, there need to be shows to keep it in the spotlight. Today's kids are a different animal than we were. The Clone Wars is too "talky" for them. These kids have a constant stream of TV, video games and such vying for their attention. All we (the generation that were children when SW first came out) had was Star Wars and Saturday Morning Cartoons.

10. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    As long as we don't get cheated out of an actual series because of this, I guess it's okay. But if we have to wait three years for a new series just because of a show like this one, I will not be happy! If you ask me, kids need to be exposed to more "talky" shows. It gives them something to think about.

Besides, today's kids are fickle. They'll be obsessed with something for a week and then move on to something else, completely forgetting what the first thing was. Us true fans are what is keeping the franchise going, and we should not be neglected.

11. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Right. We can just make clones of ourselves to indefinitely continue the lineage of truly appreciative Star Wars fans, hoping that they don't go insane and crash into the edge of the universe.

OR...

...we could just take it upon ourselves to do our best to educate our children on how to, y'know, NOT be fickle. Instead of letting the TV and big entertainment industries shape aspects of their personality. :p

Besides, growing to like something completely different doesn't necessarily cut them off from other things. After watching something as goofy-yet-witty as Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends (or heck, even a less refined fare like Chowder), I daresay I can still have a healthy appetite for something like Justice League Unlimited. It's not that they shouldn't be exposed to quality programming, it's just that liking quality or comedy programming doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. [face_peace]

12. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    And that implies that as children we weren't fickle, which in many cases I would doubt.

13. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    I think the larger question is, WHY is it so important that the kids be as into SW as us?

Some of these posts suggest the same mentality of stage parents and dads who try to force their sons into sports stardom, regardless of interest or talent.

Do I hope my kids like Star Wars? Yes. But when I say that, I don't mean "I hope my kids are as hooked on the Star Wars name as I was, regardless of what aspect of the franchise we're talking about."

I mean, "I think the OT is a fine set of films, and I hope my kids are able to consider them among their favorites in spite of their age - just as I do with movies like Duck Soup, Casablanca, and Singin' in the Rain."

Saying "I hope my kids get hooked on Galactic Heroes so they enjoy SW as much as me" is kind of like saying, "I hope my kids get hooked on Wings and The Plastic Ono Band and so they enjoy The Beatles as much as me."

14. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    Because Star Wars is a business, and the best way to expand your business is to go after kids while their still young. It isn't about "forcing them", it is about business.

15. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    I'm not talking about the business end.

I'm talking about the perspective of some of the consumers here.

16. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    I think most posters perspective is tied up with the business aspect of it, they don't like it, but they understand why they are doing it.

17. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Yeah, I think very few people here are glad that they are doing a toddler series. It's just that we can understand why Lucasfilms would want to do such a thing, and it isn't really a problem for us more mature fans.

18. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    This could be cute.. I just hope it won't be annoying cookie-cutter junk like Dora the Explorer, or Dragon Tales.

19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    You know with all the hype with the new TOR next year, I thought maybe a direct animated dvd would be great. You know something like Dead Space did. I'm not too happy about a kiddie series. I understand all the push for kiddie stuff, but why aren't we doing more of this stuff?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.