main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Second Chance (SJRS EP7 Challenge) Updated: 11/15/14 - COMPLETE!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Lover, May 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    I'm squeeeeing over a date. And I love L/M's talk. He wants to know about his father and finally has gained his wish. I love how Mara is already turning his ideas about attachment on their head. She's his perfect foil, and I can't wait to see how this plays out!!! [face_mischief]

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  2. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i like how your portrayal of luke reminds me of obi-wan from the pt and that he's a stickler to keep to the jedi code.

3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks. Hopefully the story will turn out alright. You know I just make everything up as I go along...so I am usually surprised by my own endings. :p

We'll see if he will follow through on that no attachment. I think Ginchy will get mad at me if I let him keep his vows.

You got that right. [face_laugh]

I really like Jacen. I am so irritated with what the authors did to him. :mad:

Yeah...a date!

You know, I read that Priests were once allowed to marry, but the church didn't want to deal with families and inheritances and such so they forbade their priest from getting married. I saw that on the learning channel so if I'm wrong talk to them. Anyway, I bet the Jedi had a similar philosophy for the same reason.

She is persistent.

Well, I'm not known to write love stories....:p

Thanks! I'm glad you liked that chapter.

Thanks for reading!

I think he will...otherwise I wont get my promised ginchy-shine to this story.

Sorry about the big delay. I was camping with my boys last week and didn't have my computer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 8

Luke went to the Temple’s meditation room and spent an hour trying to unwind and clear his thoughts, but his normal Jedi calmness eluded him. He rose from the padded floor and walked down the temple’s wide corridors to the lightsaber training room. Inside his nephew Jacen was instructing a number of apprentices on the various lightsaber forms. Most of the students were young, but there were a couple of older apprentices who began their training as adults. Among them was Tenel Ka Djo from Hapes. The young auburn haired woman was a princess and would one day be queen of the sixty-three worlds of the Hapes Consortium.

Luke went to the viewing bleachers and climbed to the top row of seats hoping he would be less noticeable in this location. Jacen was working with a young man in his early teens while the other students looked on. Luke had to smile at the way his nephew interacted with the younger students. He was a patient and affable instructor and a fine mentor to the younger generation.

He had finished instructing the boy and called over Tenel Ka. The two went through a series of lightsaber moves that he recognized as Makashi or Form II, The Way of the Ysalamiri. It was a form that utilized precise efficient movements instead of wide sweeping arcs. The young lady from Hapes had trouble with her stance so Jacen moved in behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist, grasping her lightsaber, and moving it to the correct position.

Luke could see Tenel Ka flush from Jacen’s close proximity. He couldn’t blame the women for getting embarrassed. They looked like two lover’s spooning in an upright position. Luke sighed deeply knowing he would have to talk to Jacen about the way he interacted with his female students. Jacen’s actions might be entirely innocent, but the young lady could misconstrue his conduct as something more than a student-instructor interaction.

He rose and walked down the bleacher steps deciding that Jacen might not be a good person to instruct Mara Jade in lightsaber technique if she ever decided to train in the ways of the Force. Perhaps Jaina would be a better Master to the young former Imperial.

He stopped by the library to meet with the archivist, a young woman named Zel Lagalda, an orange skinned Zabrak Jedi with a fondness for history. When he arrived Lagalda was concentrating on her computer terminal and tapping away on the keyboard. When she noticed Luke she stood and grabbed a datapad off her desk. “I have the information you requested Master Skywalker.” She smiled broadly as she handed over the datapad. Luke returned the smile halfheartedly. He had been in the library a number of times and didn’t fail to notice how the young woman would flirt with him blatantly. “There is a list of all Old Republic female senators in office from 30 BBY to 18 BBY. I kept on the list only human and near human politicians. I also have uploaded an updated star chart and a list of all known Imperial bases and laboratories.”

As Luke grasped the datapad and felt Zel’s thumb caress over his for a quick second before they broke contact. He fought the urge to sigh in frustration. He didn’t understand why many of the women in the Temple had fixated on him. He wasn’t overly handsome in his opinion. He was twice or sometimes three times the age of some of his admirers. He kept fit but was in no way muscle-bound. So why were they interested? It could simply be an attraction to a man in the position of power, but he thought it could be something more—a desire for something unattainable. The day he declared his commitment to nonattachment it appeared he became very appealing to many females…and to his great dismay…a number of males.

He looked down at the datapad and then to Zel. “Thank you. I appreciate your assistance.”

Zel smiled seductively as she fiddled with one of her cranial horns nervously. “If there is anything else I can do for you…anything…please don’t hesitate to contact me at any time of day…or night.” She stared at Luke with wide golden eyes before batting her eyelashes in a coquettish manner.

Luke backed away from her desk. “Thank you.” He held up the datapad. “This is all I need at the moment.” He turned and quickly moved toward the library exit. During the long walk to the door he could feel the archivist’s eyes boring into his back and a strong sense of disappointment accompany the stare.

He looked at the datapad eagerly as he moved down the corridor towards Mara’s room. He was anxious to discover the identity of his mother and Mara thought she could recognize her name. After hearing the horrifying story of his father he looked forward to learning something nice about his family. He wanted to look upon the face of his mother. He smiled broadly knowing Leia would be thrilled to know the identity of the woman who gave them life.

~~

Luke stood outside Mara’s quarters and gently knocked on the door. He probably should have contacted her via comlink and set up an appointment, but he was too impatient. He hoped she didn’t see his presence as intrusive. After a few minutes Mara came to the door wearing a different outfit than she wore that morning. Instead of a tunic and trousers she had on a light colored sleeveless top and shorts. His eyes went wide as his gaze moved without volition from her face down to her generous bosom, around the curves of her hips and along her shapely legs. A strange feeling came over him as a spike of heat caught him low in the gut. He forced his eyes away and coughing nervously. “I’m sorry for not giving you notice I was coming.”

She looked him up and down in a way that made Luke feel…naked. He subconsciously pulled his Jedi robes closer around his body as he looked everywhere but at the gorgeous woman in front of him.

“I’m surprised you’re here alone. Weren’t you the one who was worried about undignified rumors swirling around the Temple concerning us having a torrid affair?”

Luke blushed as he held out a datapad. “I…ah, I just wanted to give you the list of senators that might contain my mother’s name.”

She smiled as she took the datapad out of his hand. This time there was no caress of the thumbs and for some inexplicable reason he was disappointed.

‘What’s wrong with me?’

Mara motioned him to enter her quarters. “Let’s check it out.”

When he didn’t move she grabbed him by his sleeve and pulled him into her apartment. “I’m not going to ravish you. I promise. If you like you can jump out my bedroom window to avoid being seen leaving my apartment.”

“I’m certain somebody seeing me crawling out of your bedroom window would evoke more suspicion than me simply walking out the front door.”

She shrugged a delicate shoulder. “True, but it would be an amusing thing to see.” She walked over to the couch and plopped down bringing her legs cross-legged on the cushion. She activated the datapad and then started laughing. “That’s one hell of a screensaver you have.”

Luke sat down next to her and grabbed the datapad from her hand and then quickly set it facedown on his lap hiding the image displayed. He took a few quick calming breaths before he attempted to explain. “It appears that the archivist who compiled this information might be somewhat infatuated with me.”

“You think?” Mara laughed as she pulled the datapad from him and examined the image closely. “You have to admit it is a classy pose. If I’m not mistaken it is a professional glamour holo women use on their business websites. No nudity. Just a little bit more cleavage one would expect from a librarian.” She turned to Luke. “Tell me, does she normally have her hair down like this or is it usually in a bun?”

"A bun." Luke admitted as his face heated. “This is the first time I’ve seen her with her hair down.”

“I like the design and font. ‘Zel Lagalda, Librarian and Jedi Archivist. Jedi Temple, Coruscant…and then there is all of her contact information.” She turned and gave Luke an evil smirk. “It also has her social media holonet site. We should see if she has any holos of you.”

Luke pulled the datapad out of her hand. “If you don’t mind, I’d rather see if there are any holos of my mother within the data files.”

She gave him a disappointed scowl. “You are no fun Grand Master Skywalker.” She waited until he uploaded the list of female Senators and passed the device back to her. She glanced down the long list of female politicians before her eyes stopped on a familiar name. “Here it is. Padme Amidala, Senator of Naboo from 25 BBY until her death in 19 BBY.” She raised an eyebrow. “Prior to that she was Her Royal Highness, Queen Amidala of Naboo. A queen.” She grinned as she handed the datapad over to him. “I guess that makes you Prince Luke.”

His hands were shaking as he gazed at a holo of his mother. “She’s beautiful. And it has to be her—Leia has her eyes and hair.” He bit his lower lip to keep it from trembling as tears welled up in his eyes. He turned to the woman sitting next to him. “Thank you, Mara.”

She looked at bit uncomfortable with his outburst of emotion. “No problem. Is there anything else I can do for you?”

Luke tensed up slightly. Every time a woman asked him that it made him nervous. “What do you mean?”

Mara rolled her eyes. “I mean you said I could be the key in finding your elusive Sith. Did you want to talk about that?”

He felt his body relax as a smile crossed his face. “I do want to talk to you, but if you don’t mind, I want to contact my sister and tell her the good news.” He stood from the couch straightening his robes. “I’ll go out by the front door, if you don’t mind.”

Mara laughed as she rose from the couch. “Aww…I wanted to see if a Grand Master could creep along a twenty centimeter ledge before he jumped three stories down into the courtyard.”

Luke smiled as he gripped the datapad in his hand. “Maybe next time.” He gave Mara a wink, surprising himself. It wasn’t like him to act so…playful. Of course it isn’t everyday that he got such good news.

‘I know who my mother is.’ The words repeated in his mind over-and-over.

He was so happy he couldn’t help but lean in and give her a platonic kiss on the cheek. “Thanks again.”

He left her quarters barely containing his enthusiasm. His head was so far in the clouds that he didn’t notice Mara standing in her apartment, slack jawed with her hand lightly caressing her cheek where he kissed her.

He also didn’t see when the corners of her sensual mouth twitch up into a shy and delighted smile.

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Luke sighed deeply knowing he would have to talk to Jacen about the way he interacted with his female students. Jacen’s actions might be entirely innocent, but the young lady could misconstrue his conduct as something more than a student-instructor interaction.

Haha! Luke has no idea!

Man, I feel bad for the guy. All he wants is to be left alone. :p

Gemma, Jedi_Lover and jcgoble3 like this.
  5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Wonderful. The love is so thick you could cut it with a knife. Or even a lightsaber. :D

Gemma, Jedi_Lover and Nyota's Heart like this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    :D :D Enjoyed that muchly. Luke is so flustered, :p and Mara is infatuated just the others. [face_shhh] Am curious what Jacen is gonna say about his 'friendly' approach to TK. ;)

~~!

That was good news Luke got. [face_dancing] Mara will doubtless help with other matters, too--the Sith, and more personal things. [face_mischief]

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Ha! Oh poor Luke. He just can't be left alone. Great update.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  8. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    regarding ading the current scenario, this song just popped into my head

Oh Luke now you've gone and done it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gemma and Jedi_Lover like this.
  9. aleja2

aleja2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2005
    I love your Mara. Freed from years of wandering around with a command in her head, she's still snarky and smart, but minus the defensiveness and bitter edge. Fun!

Gemma, Kahara, jcgoble3 and 2 others like this.
  10. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    I can't blame the archivist. [face_mischief]

And I'm so happy that Luke knows who his mother is now. [face_love]

But on to more important things, that kiss!! So innocent, so sweet... Mara's going to be on the prowl now!! [face_devil]

11. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Ha! She's gonna get him good! [face_laugh] Nice one!

12. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I love it when a woman can throw a man into a tailspin like this especially when she's not trying to.
    I thought it was so cute when she tugged him into her apartment by his sleeve and then made the promise not to ravish him. (I thought oh darn, don't make that promise.)

I adored this - it made me laugh too.

Your Mara is just so spot on. I love it when she also does the eye rolls thing.
    I loved her snark about wanting to see him leave by her place by the bedroom window and jump down and how playful he became at the end - first a wink and then a kiss on the cheek. If she was not interested before she is now.

Can't wait to see their date. And I can just hear Mara singing that song quoted above maybe on a future date -- not the first one.

Jedi_Lover and Nyota's Heart like this.
  13. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Jacen told him he was called "Dreamy Eyes" by the lady apprentices. He shouldn't be surprised.

Thanks. I enjoy writing this couple.

I am sure Mara can help the Grand Master in many ways. :p

Would you leave him alone. He is way too hot to be unattached.

That is perfect! I like the lyric that she is going to knock on wood. I want to see some wood knocking. [face_laugh]

Thanks. Making the EU non-canon has freed me to write characters any damn way I please. This Mara is not so broken.

I bet you wish you were the Temple archivist. Are you getting ready to shine this story up? ;)

Yeah, she will be singing the song, but probably not right away. She doesn't want to frighten off the celebrate monk Jedi Master. :p

It's summer, so that means I have nothing but free time on my hands. So I got some writing done.

~ ~ ~ ~

Chapter 9

Tenel Ka was roused out of a deep sleep by a hard smack to her shoulder. She rolled out of bed and landed in a crouched position ready for a fight. The room was dark but as her eyes slowly adjusted to the dim light she could see movement on the bed she just vacated. With a flick of her hand she activated the overhead lights with the Force and discovered Jacen flailing in bed, fighting off an unseen attacker. He was asleep as he moaned and tore at his bed sheets.

“Jacen!” She stepped forward cautiously, knowing it was dangerous to wake a person having a night terror. “Jacen,” she called out louder. He sat up in bed, his eyes unfocused as he turned in her direction. “I promise you…I will come back and kill you!”

The guttural sound of his voice scared her. Desperate to wake him up, she grabbed her pillow and swung it at the side of his skull full force. Jacen yelped holding the sides of his head before looking at her confused. “What?”

“You were having a nightmare.”

His breathing was rapid almost to the point of hyperventilating. “Thank the Force,” he groaned as he buried his head in his hands. He swung his legs off the bed and stood, recovering his briefs from the floor where they were discarded earlier in a fit of passion. He pulled on his shorts and then sat back on the edge of the bed. “Gods that was awful.”

Tenel Ka wrapped a sheet around her body and climbed back into bed with him. “What was it about?”

He ran a hand though his hair as he continued to try to catch his breath. “I saw my Uncle Luke. It was him…but it wasn’t...his eyes were wrong. They were wild and blood shot. He was baring his teeth at me like a wild nek. His lips were curled back in either a grimace or anger. I could see the woman we found on Drakos behind him.” He turned to Tenel Ka. “Mara Jade…I told you about her.” He stopped to think. “I…I remember yelling at him that I would return to kill him.”

“Why?”

He shook his head. “I don’t know,” he responded in a broken whisper. “I don’t know.”

She crawled across the bed and put a reassuring arm around his shoulder. “It was a dream, wasn’t it?”

Jacen struggled to keep the desperation out of his voice. “I don’t know that either.”

He turned and pulled her into his arms holding her tight. She pulled back far enough to look him in the eyes. “What do you know about that woman?”

“Not much. Uncle Luke is very secretive about her past. I do know she was an Imperial. I also know she must have been close enough to the Emperor to have known about his cloning facilities. My guess is she worked for him.”

Tenel Ka’s eyes grew wide. “Could she be Sith?”

Jacen’s expression filled with uneasy worry. “I would think Uncle Luke would know if she was. He’s a Grand Master.”

“I was told Chancellor Palpatine worked closely with the Jedi Order prior to the Purge. They never saw it coming.”

“She killed the Palpatine clones. Why would she do that if she was a Sith?”

Her eyes narrowed with suspicion. “Don’t Sith Apprentices always try to kill their master? That’s what we learned in the Temple history classes.”

He chewed on his bottom lip in thought. “That may be true, but as far as I know I could have had a bad dream brought on by that spicy food we ate at dinner.”

“You should still keep an eye on her.”

He nodded in agreement. “I should keep an eye on both her and my uncle. I definitely need to find out more about her.”

~ ~ ~ ~

“I don’t know why your sister insists I come over and have dinner with your family.” Mara complained as she walked down the long ornate hallway of the former Imperial Palace, now rechristened the Palace of the Republic. The grandiose building was not only the center of government but also housed many of the political elite including the former Chief of State, Leia Organa Solo and her husband Han.

“She just wants to personally thank you for discovering the identity of our mother,” Luke explained as he straightened the hem of his civilian tunic. Normally he wore his Jedi robes, but for family functions he often came garbed in casual civilian attire. Today he was wearing a dark blue tunic over black trousers tucked into highly polished boots of the same color. He looked over to Mara admiring her outfit. It was a classic little black dress that she had borrowed from Jaina. He realized she should have clothing of her own. If he expected her to stay at the Temple she should receive some sort of stipend.

“You look nice.” He smiled when Mara blushed at the compliment.

“Thanks. It’s Jaina’s.”

“I’m glad you are getting along well with my niece. She should be at dinner tonight.”

A slight frown touched her lips. “Does that mean Jacen will be at this family function.”

“I suppose.” He gazed at her questioningly. “Is that going to be a problem?”

“No, as long as he behaves himself. If you recall the first time we met I had just regained consciousness and found his lips pressed against mine.”

Luke chuckled at the memory. “He was doing rescue breathing.”

She gave a snort. “I didn’t realize that involved the use of the tongue.”

Luke stopped and stared at Mara in disbelief. “He put his tongue in your mouth?”

She tried to keep a straight face but failed. “I’m joking. Or at least he wasn’t doing it while I was conscious.”

Luke frowned as he continued moving. “Don’t joke about that. Jacen is already on secret probation with me. His flirtatious manner is starting to bring discredit on the Jedi Order. I’ve never seen a man go through so many women. It’s like he is purposely chasing them away.” He shook his head incredulously. “But the women keep flowing his way…unfortunately they never stick around.”

She gave him a knowing look. “Perhaps he’s doing a variation of your no attachment philosophy. Bed the women but just don’t get too attached.” She arched a questioning eyebrow. “That’s the Jedi way, right?”

Luke let out a calming breath. “I hope he’s not bastardizing the philosophy in that way. It is supposed to bring the Jedi Order to the forefront of a person’s life. The order must come first and that is nearly impossible if you have a spouse and children. Human nature will always put your loved ones before an institution. The no attachment tenet removes that hurdle.”

“Does that mean you wouldn’t put your sister, your niece or nephew above the order? Would you standby and let them die if it came down to preserving the Jedi order or their lives?”

Luke shook his head. “I can’t foresee a situation arising where that would ever happen.”

Mara scoffed. “But you can see that situation arising if you had a wife and child? Either you are coldhearted toward your next of kin or you’re lying.”

Luke stopped and folded his arms across his chest taking up a defensive posture. “I’m not lying. I think there is a difference. A person will make extreme sacrifices to protect a child. Just look at what my father did.”

She stared back at him unflinching. “You don’t think he would have committed atrocities to save a nephew, a niece or perhaps his mother?”

Luke thought about it. “No, I don’t think so.”

Mara turned and continued walking down the hall. “Then you would have thought wrong.”

He caught up to her and grabbed her arm stopping her progress. “What do you mean? Was there more in Palpatine’s journals than what you told me?”

She shook his hand off her arm. “There were at least a thousand pages in his journal. I could talk to you from now until Fete week and not have told you everything.” She looked down to the floor and back up to Luke, her face softening. “I told you I would tell you everything. Do we have to discuss this now? I’m nervous enough about meeting the entire Solo clan. I don’t need you all uptight and frustrated over your absurd non-attachment decision.”

“I’m not uptight,” he said defensively as he continued down the hall toward his sister’s apartment before stopping in front of a large white door with ornate trim. He pushed the door indicator and waited. Eventually his brother-in-law Han opened the door.

“There you are. Why are you always fashionably late when I’m hungry?” Han turned to Mara and smiled. “Are you going to introduce me to your date?”

“She’s not my date,” Luke mumbled. “Mara, this is Han Solo, former General of the Rebellion, smuggler and scoundrel. Han this is Mara Jade.”

Han gave his classic lopsided grin as he shook Mara’s hand. “Pleased to meet you. And just to be clear, the ‘former’ title only applies to the first two vocations.”

Mara gave a good-humored grin. “Once a scoundrel, always a scoundrel. It’s nice to know some things never change.”

Han led them both into the apartment. “Leia fell for me because of my roguish ways. I don’t want to disappoint her.” He led them into a dining room filled with a large table adorned with expensive porcelain dishes, silver utensils and crystal glassware. The smell of cooked meat and exotic vegetables filled the air.

Seated at the table were Leia, Jacen, Jaina and a young man in a New Republic military uniform that Luke did not recognize. When Mara entered the room both men stood in a chivalrous display of manners. Luke walked up to Jaina’s date and introduced himself. “We haven’t met. I’m Luke Skywalker.”

The man shook his hand vigorously. “It’s an honor to meet you. I’m Jagged Fel Commander of the 99th Fighter Wing.”

“The Fighting Shriek-hawks." Luke was impressed. "I’ve heard of your Fighter Wing. You’ve seen a lot of action against pirates terrorizing the mid-rim zones. You’ve done an excellent job securing that area of the galaxy.” The two men broke contact and Luke gave his sister an apologetic smile. “Sorry I’m late.” He motioned to Mara. “Leia, Commander Fel, this is Mara Jade.”

“We’ve already met,” Jag said with a grin.

“Oh.” Luke looked at Mara inquisitively.

“At the club,” Mara clarified.

“Ohhh!” The word was drawn out as he wondered if this was one of the obnoxious men who bothered Mara that night.

Mara laughed obviously picking up on his thoughts. “Commander Fel was not one of the cretins I ran into at the club.” She smiled at the man. “In fact he was the perfect gentleman.” Her eyes fixated on Jaina. “Did you two get a chance to fly against each other?”

Luke thought he saw a blush form on his niece’s face. “We did. Commander Fel is an exceptional pilot.”

“Are we going to eat sometime tonight?” Jacen interrupted as he impatiently fidgeted with his napkin. “I’m starved.”

“Sorry,” Luke said with a smile as he held out a chair for Mara and then sat down himself. He gave his nephew a furtive glance surprised that Jacen did not have a date for the evening.

Han removed a cover from the serving tray in the middle of the table revealing thick Bantha steaks. “Dig in folks.”

The meal was fantastic. Han had grilled the steaks himself using his ‘secret’ marinade. Luke never asked for the ingredients. His brother-in-law once told him it was a Wookiee recipe. Knowing that, he wasn’t sure if he wanted to know the secret.

The desserts were brought out by his sister’s protocol droid, See Threepio, who greeted Luke enthusiastically as he handed out fruit and cream parfaits to the guests. After dinner they went to the sitting room to talk. To Luke’s great relief his sister didn’t grill Mara on her past. Earlier he told Leia and Han that Mara was an Imperial and requested that they respect her privacy. He wished he had made the same request to Jacen.

“So, Mara, where did you grow up?” Jacen lifted a glass of wine to his lips and sipped while waiting for an answer.

Sitting on a small divan, Mara shifted in her seat uncomfortably. “Here.”

“On Coruscant? Or this specific sector?” Jaina asked. She was sitting in a cozy love chair with Jagged Fel.

“I mean…” Mara hesitated for a moment choosing her words carefully. “Here on Coruscant.”

Luke was certain she actually meant ‘here’ as in the Imperial Palace. If she was a spy that would make sense that she might live near the Emperor.

“Where on Coruscant?” Jacen continued to pry.

Luke decided to change the subject. “What are you two doing after dinner?” He gave his niece and Fel a forced smile.

Jaina and Jag looked at each other. Luke didn’t know why couples always did that. It was like they needed to communicate telepathically and come to a silent consensus before they could answer. “It’s carnival week. We thought we would go to on some rides and try our luck at the games.” Jaina looked at Mara and smiled. “You should come with us...you too Jacen.”

Luke's nephew looked over to Mara and smiled. “That would be great. It will give me a chance to get to know you better.” He hesitated for a split second before he motioned to his sister and Jag. “For all of us to get to know you better.” He gave Mara a warm, friendly grin.

Luke became unsettled with Jacen’s flirtatious behavior. The last thing he needed was his womanizing nephew irritating Mara Jade and running her off. She had a wealth of information that he wanted to tap, plus he was positive she could be the key to discovering what great danger might lurk in the not-so-distant future. He needed to dissuade Jacen from bothering her.

He walked over to where Mara sat and casually placed a hand on her shoulder. “Sorry Jacen, I promised to bring Mara to the film festival tonight.”

Jacen’s eyebrows shot up in surprise. “Really. You know that sounds like more fun than the carnival. Maybe I’ll join you.”

Luke’s ire rose as he sat down next to Mara. He already told Jacen Mara wasn’t comfortable around him. He couldn’t understand why the young man persisted in pursuing the woman. He would have to resort to more drastic measures to get Jacen to stand down. “Jacen, I’m fifty-three years old…I don’t need a chaperone.”

Jacen’s brow furrowed. “Chaperone? I just thought I could tag along.”

Luke reached out and took Mara’s hand in his, their fingers interlaced. He felt Mara tense slightly at the contact, but then relax. “It’s a date,” Luke clarified. “We would like some privacy, if you don’t mind.” He rose pulling Mara to her feet, hoping she didn’t start questioning his odd behavior. To his surprise she simply smiled and turned to the others in the room. “I had a delightful evening.”

Luke thanked his sister and Han and said goodbye to the others. He almost chuckled at the shocked expressions on their faces.

He kept hold of Mara’s hand and he practically pulled her away from the apartment and his lecherous nephew. Mara eventually dragged him to a stop and held up their clasped hands. “You mind telling me what’s this is about.”

Luke immediately pulled his hand away. “Sorry. I wanted to get you away from Jacen before he did or said something that would make you leave in a huff.” He shook his head in annoyance. “That boy can be persistent when he sees something he wants…and I think he wants you.”

Disappointment shone in her eyes. “So the date, the handholding…it was all subterfuge?”

Luke pinched the bridge of his nose, frustrated over the whole situation. “Yes…no…not really.” He saw the hurt in her eyes and became worried that the fiery temper she displayed in his office might flare up again. He reached out and took her hands in his giving them a gentle squeeze. “I do want to spend some time with you. I enjoy your company.” A boyish smirk crossed his face. “Believe it or not, I like the irreverent way you interact with me. It reminds me of my time with Rogue squadron before the destruction of the first Death Star. Back then, I was just one of the guys hanging around with friends.” He gave her hands another squeeze before letting go. “I miss the playful camaraderie.” He turned and started walking down the corridor. “I just don’t want to develop friendships that I have to keep at arms length. I’ve made a vow on non-attachment and it limits the type of relationships I can have.” He looked over to her nervously. “Not that I’m suggesting you are interested in any type of relationship…it’s just…I can’t…you know…the whole non-attachment vow.” He felt like slapping himself in the head. Why was he rambling?

She looked deeply in his eyes, searching. “You are fifty-three years old. How many years have you given to the Jedi Order? Twenty, thirty? You’ve given so much. Don’t you think you deserve more? Don’t you regret not having what your sister has? A spouse to grow old with…children to raise and maybe one day bouncing grandchildren on your knee? Don’t you have any regrets?”

“I can ask you the same thing.” He avoided answering the question…mainly because he didn’t know the answer. “Don’t you have regrets that you’re living with?”

Her face tightened. “Knowing what I know now, everything in my life I regret.” She took a deep cleansing breath. “That’s why I have decided to do things differently and change my life. I’m not going to make the same mistakes.” She turned and gave him a resolute expression. “I’m going to look out for Mara Jade and find that happiness that always eluded me.”

Luke simply nodded at they walked out of the palace. “That sounds like a good plan.”

~ ~ ~ ~

When Luke and Mara left the Solo apartment all in attendance looked at each other, their faces slack with surprise.

“What the hell just happened?” Leia wondered out loud.

Han simply smirked as he poured himself a shot of whiskey. “That was your brother being a jealous suitor.”

“What?” Jaina and Jacen said simultaneously.

Leia shook her head. “It’s not possible. For the last thirty years he has avoided women like the plague. Why would things be different now?”

Han sat down in his favorite leather chair as he brought his tumbler of whiskey to his nose, inhaling the aroma. “Because a man can be sexually frustrated for only so long before he snaps…and I think it’s Mara Jade putting the snap in the old Grand Master’s boxer-brief waistband.” He laughed before he downed his drink.

Leia's brow furrowed. "She's a bit young for him."

Han scoffed. "By young, do you mean reproductive age." He smirked as he stood to refill his drink. "That young lady might be your ticket to Aunthood."

Leia thought about it before smiling. "I wouldn't mind being an aunt."

Jacen didn’t hear his parents’ playful banter as he stared transfixed at the door his uncle and the mysterious woman from Drakos exited. Could she be Sith? Did she have his uncle under some dark influence?

Tenel Ka was right…he would have to keep a close eye on Mara Jade.

14. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    I think the only dark influence Mara is going to have on Luke will lead to a darkened bedroom. [face_devil] Or maybe not so dark. ;) Ahem. I loved it. Han is going to milk this for all it's worth. And Leia is already hoping for a niece or nephew!! [face_laugh] As for the shine, get them to that point and I'll be ready. [face_mischief]

Gemma likes this.
  15. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Hahahaha! I agree completely with ginchy. I like where this is going.

16. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yikes! Well, maybe if Jacen wouldn't act so flirtatious all the time, Luke would've understood he really did just want to tag along. Even if it was to spy on Mara. :p

Seriously, his dream worries me. [face_nail_biting]

17. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Ramble all you want, Luke, but you know deep down inside that it truly is a date. :D

I really like how the no-attachment tenet has been worked into this story. In the prequels, it was an inflexible rule that it was almost considered blasphemy to even question, which I found to be rather stupid. But here, it's more relaxed, with the way that Jacen gets away with a lot, and even Luke as the Grand Master is unsure about it. I like that.

That said, now we have a bad dream involving Mara, and with Force-users, a bad dream is not necessarily just a bad dream... [face_nail_biting]

18. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    Love where this is going! I really like that Mara isn't as broken. And playing with the whole non-attachment thing is cool. I've often thought the Jedi got more locked into it than they might have otherwise because of Yoda. The doctrine of detachment would make an excellent defense against grief and heartache when one is 900 years old and has buried more friends than most. Looking forward to more!

19. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Loved the interaction between Mara and Luke when she asks about the hand holding ---seeing her vulnerable was touching. And then Luke's explanation about how he missed the days of comradeship - Nice!

Loved every word from Han and the way you put it made me giggle and laugh. And his saying Luke was a jealous suitor -- perfect!

I liked how you pointed out that Leia and Han's conversation was not heard by the kids as they were left kind of stunned by Luke's annoucement.

BTW, you made my day when you mentioned that Mara will eventually sing that song to Luke --thank you!!@};-@};-

Plus I so excited that you now have more time to write --- you write when you can - I promise I will be there to read.

20. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    THIS! This completely explains Yoda's idiotic advice to Anakin when he asked about his visions in ROTS. I blame no one but Yoda for Anakin's fall to the dark. Give him some real advice and he won't go seeking help from a Sith Lord. :mad:(Perhaps you could say that Yoda was too attached to that rule? :p)

Luke needs to realize that Yoda was in the wrong here and let that rule die the fiery death that it needs to.

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Sheesh, that dream is worrisome for sure! [face_worried] Loved the dinner and that Jag and Jaina are together [face_dancing] I am happy Mara is going to go after what will make her happy and fulfilled. Luke is tripping over and getting all tangled in the non-attachment thing and all the hidden ramifications as regards siblings, and extended family, much less a romantic relationship. :p :rolleyes:

She's softening him up though. :D [face_love]

22. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Simply awesome and I think the grand master is not being entirely honest with himself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Not even halfway honest [face_laugh]

24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004

How about a darkened theater first?

Thank you!

Yeah he now will be suspect every time he is around Mara.

I think no attachment is stupid. Luke doesn't require it. In his academy the decision of non-attachment is up to the student. Obviously Jaina and Jacen chose to ignore the tenet. I would think some Jedi might take on the non-attachment rule if they think it will help them move up the ranks of the Jedi. It may be proof that the Jedi come first with them.

Yeah...a 900 year old alien might not really understand human's need to be with one another.

She certainly is. Don't worry, I won't be too mean to Jacen. The last time I did that I really upset a certain person who made sure I knew his displeasure.

Thanks! My muse took a nose dive yesterday, but I managed to finish a chapter.

Be happy when people die was Yoda's advice. Maybe that is why Anakin killed the younglings...he wanted to bring him to the Force which Yoda said was a wonderful thing.

I think he is starting to remember what it was like to be with a woman.

True, so true.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 10

The Betrayal of Chancellor Palpatine the Just.” Mara made a scoffing sound while reading the marquee. “After reading his journal it should read ‘The Betrayal of Chancellor Palpatine the Jackass.”

Luke chuckled as he purchased two tickets to the show. “As you can imagine this is an Imperial propaganda film. It should be interesting to see Palpatine’s sanitized and whitewashed version of what happened.” He handed Mara a ticket before opening the entry door for her.

“Thank you. It is nice to see chivalry hasn’t died in the last thirty years.”

“I’m sure you will find there are plenty of men your age that are polite and chivalrous. Commander Fel appears to be a fine young man.”

A smile touched her lips as they strolled through the lobby. “He is a wonderful catch, but I think Jaina has latched onto him.” She gave him a furtive glance. “Besides ‘you’ are men my age.”

“Technically,” he admitted. “We were born at the same time, but now I’m graying in the temples and closing in on retirement.”

She stopped and ran a finger over the gray in his hair. “You look sophisticated.” Her eyes raked down his body. “And you have held up very well through the years.”

Luke blushed. “Are you trying to seduce me, Mara Jade?”

She broke out in laughter. “Maybe I am one of those women who strive for the unattainable.” She grabbed him by the sleeve and guided him to the darkened theater and moved to in the back row. “Can you see alright from here?”

Luke frowned. “Are you suggesting that my old eyes might not be able to focus on that faraway holo projection?”

“No, I just know people have certain distances from the show that they prefer. She folded down her padded seat and sat down. “I like the rear because I don’t want people at my back.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” he said jokingly.

She smiled wide in disbelief. “Was that some sort of play on words?”

“Certainly not. Grand Masters don’t partake in jovial wordplay. We’re the uptight frustrated types, remember?” He grinned letting her know he was teasing.

The lights dimmed and the two settled down to watch the holo. The beginning of the film had a slow written introductory crawl:

The Old Republic was at war. Millions of brave Clone Troopers faced off against the evil Separatist droid army. Chancellor Palpatine of Naboo works tirelessly to lead the Republic to victory…but there are those who wish to thwart his virtuous efforts.
    Only through perseverance and tenacity will the Republic prevail.

Mara chuckled in the darkened theater before leaning over and whispered into Luke’s ear. “Nothing about that man was virtuous.”

The opening scene had Palpatine’s advisors and security guards warning him that there have been threats on his life and that he should stay in his office and not go out into the public.

The man playing Chancellor Palpatine was tall, regal and exceedingly handsome with salt-and-pepper hair and a strong jaw. “No!” he theatrically pronounced. “I won’t hide in my office when the people need reassurance during these dark days. They draw comfort from my presence. I represent the people of Coruscant and the Republic. I must show them that I have every confidence in the Grand Army of the Republic and the Coruscant Security Forces.”

The next scene has the Chancellor visiting an orphanage, kissing babies and giving his best grandfatherly routine. Luke could hear Mara snickering and doing her best to not disturb the other holofilm patrons. She needn’t bother. Half of the audience found the portrayal of Palpatine amusing. There was a visit to a children’s hospital before the Chancellor’s last stop—a soup kitchen in the poorest area of Coruscant.

Luke turned and whispered in Mara’s ear. “I have a hard time believing Palpatine had a charitable bone in his body.”

She laughed nodding in agreement.

The elderly statesman smiled warmly as the indigent humans and aliens flowed into the soup kitchen. The down and trodden cried tears of joy when they saw their fearless leader had risked assassination attempts in order to serve them food.

Mara leaned in to Luke. “Ugh…this is so sickly sweet I think I’m going to puke.”

He chuckled. “You mean the Emperor never served bread and soup to the down-and-out?”

“More likely he sent Death Squads to clear out the destitute vermin.”

Suddenly the atmosphere of the movie changed. Three men in tattered robes and hoods entered the soup kitchen. Their eyes shifted around the chamber, checking out the locations of the guards. A dark skinned man nodded to the others before all three reached under their robes pulling out lightsabers. “Death to the Republic!” they shouted as they started slicing and beheading innocent people aimlessly.

“What is this?” the Palpatine actor stuttered and cringed back in fear. “You are Jedi. You are supposed to be guardians of freedom.”

The dark skin Jedi pulled down his cowl revealing cold black eyes and a shaved head. “The Jedi have been the lapdogs to the senate for too long. It is time that we rule the Galaxy!”

Palpatine moved forward his hands in a placating gesture. “Please don’t hurt anybody else. It’s me you want.”

The leader of the Jedi gave a caustic laugh. “Do you think I care about these motherkriff’n beggars?” He then stretched his empty hand toward Palpatine sending Force lightning directly into the Chancellor's face. The actor screamed and rolled on the floor begging the Jedi to spare the lives of the innocents. The special effects crew then did a great job melting the handsome actors features into the distorted, wrinkly face Luke was familiar with.”

The Jedi moved forward lightsabers blazing ready to chop the chancellor into little pieces before a platoon of Clone Troopers rushed in to save the politician and killing the Jedi.

The Captain of the guard called in the report. “The Jedi have attempted to assassinate the Chancellor in a coup attempt.”

Luke went to whisper something to Mara just as she was leaning in to do the same. Both froze when their lips brushed against each other. Luke should have pulled back, but he didn’t, it had been so long since he had been this close to a woman. He forgot how great it felt.

There was a bright flash of a holoimager before man a few rows in front of them stood and dashed out of the theater.

“What was that?”

Luke groaned. “The paparazzi. Our near kiss will be on every holonet show by tomorrow morning.”

“You almost kissed a woman. Big deal. Perhaps we should really give them something to talk about.” She grinned mischievously as she leaned in and gave Luke a quick peck on the lips. “There, if you are going to suffer over this, you might as well do the deed.”

He looked at her lips as they pulled away and felt the blood thicken in his veins. He needed to get out of here before he did something he regretted. He stood and looked down at Mara. “I think I should go. You are more than welcome to stay.”

She stood. “No, I think I know how this movie ends anyway. Spoiler alert: the Chancellor becomes Emperor and starts blowing up planets…probably under some innocent pretense… like it was blocking the path for a new hyperspace lane.”

Luke couldn’t help but smile. “I really don’t want to see who they cast to play me blowing up the first Death Star. It’ll probably be a cross-eyed duffus that just got a lucky shot.” He offered Mara his arm as he escorted her out of the theater. “So, does that count as the date I owe you?”

She shrugged noncommittally. “I think it is half a date, but I’ll cut you some slack. You probably need the remainder of the night to pen a response to the scandalous rumors.”

He sighed deeply. “I probably will have to respond to the rumors.” He turned to her questioningly. “What should I say? You are in this as much as I am. The public will want to know your identity and all the details.”

She thought about it for a moment. “Tell them I am just a friend…and you were doing rescue breathing.”

He poked her with his elbow. “Funny Mara.”

“It is funny.” They walked out of the theater and flagged down an airtaxi. “Don’t tell them anything. I’d doubt they will discover my true identity and if they do I will simply say I look just like my mother the former Imperial Spy. I even took her name.”

He blew out a breath. “I guess that will have to do, but realize they will give you a moniker. Before you know it you will be labeled the redheaded temptress or the green-eyed seductress.”

“I’d prefer the Grand Master’s erotic enchantress.”

He shook his head. “You’re enjoying this, aren’t you?”

Her green eyes grew bright. “Immensely.”

He looked down at her and grinned. “You know what? So am I.”

Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Aw! How sweet. :D

Jedi_Lover likes this.