main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Second Chance (SJRS EP7 Challenge) Updated: 11/15/14 - COMPLETE!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Lover, May 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL on that cheesy bit of propaganda :p But I do like the Grand Master's Erotic Enchantress - has a certain ring [face_love]

Gemma and Jedi_Lover like this.
  2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Love the paparazzi. [face_laugh] I'm surprised the "famous" Jedi didn't have to deal with that more in canon and the EU. I think the only case we got of that was Jaina and Jag's dates in FOTJ. Be interesting to see how Luke responds to the tabloids.

Interesting that Imperial propaganda still plays on Coruscant thirty years later. Typical Palps to spin it like that. :p

And it's QUITE obvious that Luke is falling in love with my favorite redhead. :D

3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    It was said earlier that it was a film festival celebrating the 30th Anniversary of the destruction of the second Death Star. They were playing films that covered Palpatine's rise and fall.

4. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes, but thirty years later, under New Republic control, I would have expected more historically accurate documentaries, not old Imperial propaganda. Although it does kinda make sense, now that I think about it, in that some would want to see how the Empire portrayed itself and compare that to the reality (maybe they had a more historically accurate version later that night for comparison?).

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  5. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah, they were doing both sides. These documentaries are more comical relief at this point. It is sort of like watching "Reefer Madness".

6. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I've never heard of Reefer Madness, but I get the point anyway. :p

7. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    And so are the readers no doubt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    It was a 1936 over-the-top anti-marijuana movie.

Kahara likes this.
  9. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    Just fall in love with her already, Luke!

Love the Hitchhiker reference! Very nice job.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  10. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Okay, I'm coming around. They are adorable.

Jacen's still a failbot though, in any universe. [face_laugh]

Kahara, Nyota's Heart and aleja2 like this.
  11. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I loved the whole chapter, but I really liked the idea of her reaching out to stroke his gray hair --- Nice!

And the almost kiss and kiss --- yes!

I like that he is getting more comfortable with her. And the banter at the end was oh so lovely.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  12. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Dawww! How sweet! And that propaganda holo sounds like a film we watched in Soviet History: Stalin kissing and holding babies. It was a riot.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  13. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Love the recent chapters. That propaganda film is so something Palpatine would commission, particularly to demonise Mace Windu!

I wonder what the fallout of the paparazzi holo will be - Luke must get followed everywhere.

14. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Jacen’s nightmare did not sound good at all. At least he and Tenel Ka are somewhat reserving judgment. I wouldn’t think this Mara is a Sith…

The attachment conversation was interesting and very relevant to this version of Luke. He obviously is attached to his existing family, so Mara’s got a point.

*snort*

Whoa, that was fast! ;) All it took was Jacen. Had to laugh at Luke’s defensiveness. And it was somewhat of a ruse, but not entirely. At least he’s able to admit that he wants a friendship with Mara.

No kidding. Reading the later description of the film, that sounds like it would be physically painful to watch. Mainly because of the laughter.

Those two!

ROFL. Loved their flirting throughout this chapter. Movie night was a good idea.

jcgoble3 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  15. Demendora

Demendora Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2010
    Oh my!I missed so much!Sorry for not responding earlier.
    That vision of dark Luke..I guess, it can be his clone...or it can be our farmboy losing his mind in the ocean of passion..lol. But I doubt it. Of course, it can be something else different. I can never guess with you, Jedi-lover. Either way, I love this story!

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thank you.

Yeah, I like that one also.

That is why he was reluctant to be seen in public with her at first. I would assume he would be followed by the GFFA's version of TMZ all the time.

He is warming up to her.

I was wondering if anybody would get that reference.

So this May-December romance doesn't seem so 'icky' anymore? :p And I like Jacen. He usually performs fairly well in my stories. In Sacrifices he was acting the duffus. He is going to be a little more reasonable in this story. He's already told Tenel Ka that if her parents still refuse to allow her to marry him he is going to walk. He doesn't want a secret relationship. He loves her, but he wants it all--a marriage and family. He won't settle for less.

Mara is in a unique position with Luke. She has knowledge that he wants very badly and to get that information he has to work closely with her.

That is what I would think Palpatine would commission. He would have to justify the Jedi purge.

I was wondering if anybody would recognize Mace Windu. What gave it away? The bald head or him saying Motherkriff'n? :D

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. Luke is justifying telling everybody he is on a date just so he can keep Jacen from pursuing Mara and pissing her off...but I think there is some actual jealousy. It may not be romantic jealousy at this point, but Luke enjoys her company and he doesn't want to lose it.

I am working toward that scene in Jacen's dream. It probably will take a few more chapters.

I must warn everybody, Darth Real Life has hit me hard with horrible family problems and I am not sure how long my muse will hold out. Right now I am a writing fool because I can't sleep more than a couple hours a night. I wrote another chapter. I hope it is cogent. Writing while sick, depressed and sleep deprived makes things difficult.

I want to thank ginchy for cheering me on and looking over my chapters.

Enjoy.

~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 11

Luke had just settled down in his office’s desk chair when the entry chime rang. He reached across his desk and pushed the intercom button. “Come on in.”

A sheepish looking Jacen Solo entered the office, datapad in hand. “Uncle Luke, I want to apologize for last night.” He averted his eyes and shuffled his feet nervously. “I honestly wasn’t trying to romantically pursue Miss Jade and I certainly didn’t know you two were dating.”

Dating,’ Luke sighed at the word but knew Jacen had every right to believe it was just that…after all he told him it was a date. “It’s alright Jacen. I am sorry that I was abrupt with you. Miss Jade finds you a little abrasive when it comes to your flirtatious nature. It was a date only because I promised to bring her to the movies in exchange for information concerning Palpatine’s journals. That seemed an equitable exchange. We’re not really dating.”

Jacen’s eyes narrowed as he cocked the side of his head questioningly. “In that case, I’m a little confused over the holonet story I saw today.”

Luke’s head almost dropped to his desk. “That didn’t take long.” He looked up at Jacen. “I assume the story is on your datapad.” He reached out a hand. “Let me see how much damage control this is going to take.”

Jacen passed over the datapad with the story already highlighted. The headline was:
    Grand Master found kissing woman half his age at local theater. The follow on story wasn’t any better. Last night Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker, disguised in civilian clothing, was seen walking into a theater with a very beautiful and young redheaded woman. After kissing in the theater the couple snuck out of the cinema to search for a more private setting. The identity of the woman is unknown, but it is believed the Grand Master has set up a love nest for the beautiful temptress within the Temple grounds. Could wedding bells be in the future for this once confirmed bachelor?

Luke tossed the datapad on his desk. “I see they went with the moniker Temptress. Mara will be disappointed.”

Jacen’s brow rose. “Is any of this true? People in the Temple are already asking me questions.”

Luke shook his head. “We weren’t kissing. We both turned to talk to each other at the same time and our lips met.”

Jacen picked up the datapad and scrutinized the holo before looking back up to his uncle. “Is that the story you are going with?” He shot Luke a wry grin. “So you never kissed?”

“No…well yes.” He closed his eyes in frustration. “Mara kissed me afterwards because she said if I was going to have publicity problems I might as well have done the deed.” He looked up at Jacen wide-eyed. “But it was just a friendly peck on the lips. Nothing else. I brought her back to her room and I left.” He motioned toward the datapad. “This is all blown out of proportion.”

Jacen sat down in a chair. “Uncle Luke, you’re a grown man. Nobody would begrudge you some happiness.”

His cheeks heated. “Even if I were to throw aside my non-attachment vow…she’s way too young for me. I'd look like a lecherous old man.”

“You’d look like one hell of a lucky old man.”

Luke became flustered and decided to change the subject. “If you weren’t interested in her, then why did you want to tag along? It definitely looked like you wanted to be around her…why?”

Jacen’s jovial mood changed. He opened his mouth to say something but decided against it. After a short pause he simply said, “No reason.”

Luke frowned and crossed his arms across his chest. “I can tell you’re hiding something. What is it?”

Jacen shook his head. “It was just a bad dream about you and her. It’s nothing…it just got me worried.”

Luke sat forward in his seat. “Tell me about it.”

Jacen took a couple deep breaths. “I’d rather not.”

The Jedi Master sat back in his chair. “Let me tell you a story about your grandfather that I recently discovered. When he was a Jedi he secretly married. He kept having dreams that his wife and child would die. He couldn’t tell his Master because of the non-attachment code. He would have been kicked out of the Jedi Order. Instead he consulted a Sith for help.” He gazed at Jacen intently. “Don’t make the same mistake. I’m your family and your Jedi Master. You can tell me anything, especially when it comes to possible visions of the future. I take these things very seriously.”

Jacen sat silently for a few moments, deep in thought. Eventually he took a deep breath and started his story. “I was interested in keeping an eye on Mara Jade because I don’t quite trust her. She was surrounded by Sith clones…I was worried she might be Sith and has been exerting some dark influence over you.” He reached back and scratched his head in thought. “I mean, look at what she’s done in little over a week. She went from a complete stranger to living in the Jedi Temple, befriending the Grand Master and she’s even managed to put a crack in your non-attachment code…whether you want to admit it or not.”

Luke’s first reaction was to dismiss Jacen’s belief as ridiculous, but he promised the boy he would take his concerns seriously. “I don’t sense anything evil from her, Jacen. I think she is a woman who worked for the Empire and now wants a second chance. I would know if she was Sith.”

Jacen shook his head in disagreement. “Palpatine fooled the entire Jedi order for years and he was a Sith Lord. We found her in an Imperial laboratory on Drakos. You and I both know that place reeked of the darkside. Plus, you admitted to me that you felt compelled to go there. Why would the Force guide you there? Maybe she is the dark threat.”

Luke shook his head. “I just can’t see it.”

Jacen’s eyes narrowed. “Why? Because she’s a good kisser?”

“That’s not funny Jacen.” Luke’s voice took on a hard edge, galled at his nephew’s insolence.

“Sorry, sorry.” Jacen waved his hands in a gesture of surrender before dropping them to his lap and leaning forward and giving Luke a challenging gaze. “The question is valid. Why are you so sure? You only know what she's told you. She was in a Sith cloning facility. I don’t know how much she has revealed to you, but did you confirm any of it?”

Luke felt a little embarrassed. “No, but she did kill the Palpatine clones. Why would she do that?”

Jacen raised an eyebrow. “Why would an apprentice kill the Sith Master? Come on?”

Luke had to admit, he had a point there. “You don’t know if she was an apprentice to anyone,” Luke pointed out.

“Okay, let’s say she wasn’t an apprentice and for whatever reason she killed the clones.” Jacen’s eyes went wide in realization. “She told us that Palpatine’s spirit was supposed to occupy one of his clones…what if he showed up and all of them are dead…so he took over her body instead?”

A shiver went down Luke’s spine. He didn’t want to imagine he got a kiss from Palpatine in a darkened theater last night. “No, no, no. My gut tells me she’s exactly who she says she is. She’s not a Sith or possessed by a Sith. I believe she’s the key to finding the threat, though. She has information from Palpatine’s journals that will help us. That’s why the Force guided me to her.” He said the words with as much confidence as possible, but he could hear the doubt in his voice. He gazed at Jacen questioningly. “What happened in your dream? What drove you to this conclusion?”

Jacen shifted in his seat uncomfortably. “I saw you. I don’t know where you were, but Mara was nearby. You had wild eyes and a crazed look on your face…like a Sith. You were practically snarling at me and I said…” he hesitated.

“You said what?”

“I said I would come back and kill you.” He ran a hand over his face. “Why would I say that?”

Luke was somewhat startled by the admission. “It could be merely a dream.” He looked down at his desk drumming his fingers nervously. “I don’t know how to ease your fears. If she was a super Sith that could hide the darkside from me…she wouldn’t admit it.” He looked over to Jacen. “I don’t want to put up walls of suspicion around her. Until we discover something substantial suggesting she is darkside, we should treat her like we have been. Sometimes a dream is just a dream. Besides, what benefit would she have coming to the Temple if she was Sith? It is the worst place to hide. I assure you a Sith would be more interested in seizing control of the government than seducing an aging Grand Master.”

“Unless she wanted to have powerful Sith children.”

Luke stood and glowered at his nephew. “Jacen now you are being ridiculous. Are you actually suggesting Palpatine took over the body of a beautiful woman and didn’t immediately go out into the galaxy to conquer the New Republic? Instead this body-snatching-Palpatine waits thirty years with the master plan of seducing and becoming impregnated by the Grand Master of the Jedi Order so we can raise a Sith brood as a family? Really? Is that the story you’re going with?”

Jacen’s serious demeanor faded as he gave his uncle a hangdog grin. “That does sound a little farfetched, doesn’t it?”

Luke smiled. “I think so. I’ll tell you what. If you are so worried you can sit in on any briefings I have with her concerning what she knows about Imperial facilities and you can come along on any missions. You are my best Jedi, after all.”

Jacen smiled warmly. “Thank you for not dismissing my concerns out of hand.” His smile grew wider. “Truthfully, I really hope she is exactly who she says she is…because you look happy with her.” He held up the datapad holo as proof.

Luke sat back down heavily. “Don’t start with that again.”

“Okay, I won’t, but once mom sees this, expect to be answering some questions.”

Luke sighed deeply. “Knowing Leia, she’s probably planning the wedding.”

Jacen laughed. “And buying baby clothes.”

17. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    :D Love nest? Oh that has to be my favorite part

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Enjoyed the tone of the entire conversation, full of honesty and giving due attention to arguing points and concerns.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Glad that Jacen aired his suspicions to Luke.

Jedi_Lover and jcgoble3 like this.
  20. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Ditto.

Luke, deny it all you want. We know you are in love. :D

Gemma, Jedi_Lover and Revanfan1 like this.
  21. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I want to see this 'love nest'. Ginchy shine time!

Gemma and Jedi_Lover like this.
  22. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    hahahahaahaa the 'shine will be a bit later on in the story, methinks.... [face_mischief]

Well, you know I love it. And I love how Jacen just needed his uncle to listen to him. I love Luke and Jacen's entire conversation and can just imagine Leia putting aside cute baby items, just in case. LOL!

Nyota's Heart, Jedi_Lover and Gemma like this.
  23. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    This was my favorite part and I loved the 'looks' throughout that Luke cast at Jacen. And I liked how Jacen pointed out he looked happy with her.

Great update!!

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  24. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I really like Jacen in this fic - he was right to bring his concerns to Luke and hopefully they can work through them together.

25. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks.

A story where Jacen isn't an idiot! :p

He should have done that all through the profics.

I think Luke is warming up to Mara.

ginchy!! Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine!

Leia has to want to see her brother happy and with a wife and child.

Thank you. Jacen wants what is best for his uncle. That is why his dream really bothered him.

Jacen is being a reasonable guy this time. Jacen was once such a great character. I hope he is in EP7 as a hero.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 12

Later that day Jacen spotted Mara Jade walking down the temple corridors heading toward his uncle’s office.

“Miss Jade! Miss Jade!” She turned and waited as he jogged up to her. “Can I talk to you for a second?”

She looked him up and down suspiciously. “What about?”

He ran an agitated hand through his hair before giving her an rueful smile. “I want to apologize if I ever did or said anything to offend you. My uncle told me you found me abrasive and warned me to stop flirting with you.”

Mara grinned as she crossed her arms across her chest and rocked back on her heels. “Did he now? That’s interesting. Did he say ‘leave her alone she’s my Temple Temptress and stay away from our love nest!”

He let out a short laugh and shook his head. “You’ve seen the news, I see.”

“Yes I did.” She let out a sigh. “I feel a little bad about it. He did warned me it would happen. I didn’t think it would be this bad, though. I swear the people around here are looking at me like I must be a mind-witch trying to enchant their Grand Master.”

Jacen smile faltered remembering his conversation with his uncle about Sith influence. His change in demeanor did not go unnoticed by Mara. “Jacen, I am very good at reading people…exceptionally good.” She stared at him, her eyes unflinching. “And I can tell you don’t trust me.”

Jacen gave a slight shrug, not denying it.

“I respect that.” She stepped back and leaned against the hallway wall. “I would be suspicious if I were in your shoes. Why was I there in Palpatine’s cloning facility? Who am I? Those are all valid questions.”

Jacen straightened his shoulders. “I don’t have a need to know, but did you at least tell my uncle everything?”

Mara looked down to the ground. “No.” She looked up at him and smiled smugly. “But you Jacen are hiding something also.”

He frowned. “About what?”

She shrugged. “I don’t know, but I found something your uncle said about you suspicious. He said you are with woman after woman but they never stick around. I started to wonder why? Now, I have met your father. He’s a charismatic scoundrel. Your mother is the epitome of grace and your sister is friendly and secure in her abilities. Your uncle is a kind and wise man who still maintains his boyish charm. Why did you turn out so dysfunctional when it comes to members of the opposite sex?” She looked him up and down. “It can’t be your looks. You are a handsome man.”

Jacen was caught off guard by this line of conversation. “I don’t like commitment.”

Mara snorted. “I think it is much more than that. Your uncle thought you were driving women away.”

The more she talked the more flustered he became. “What’s this have to do with anything?”

She raised an eyebrow. “I just want to point out that we all have our secrets for our own reasons.” She paused for a moment in thought. “I’ll tell you what. Let’s go to your uncle’s office and if you tell your secret , I’ll reveal mine. Deal?”

Jacen worried about what Tenel Ka would say if she found out, but he remembered the story Luke told him about his grandfather. Secrets could lead to great pain and sorrow. Perhaps it was time to come clean. “Can it stay between the three of us?”

“I would definitely prefer that when it comes to my secret. I promise to keep your confidence.”

He thought it over before nodding his head in agreement. “Let’s go see Uncle Luke.”

~~~

Luke Skywalker looked up from his reading when Mara and Jacen entered his office. His eyes flickered warily to Jacen hoping he wasn't bothering her or worse—accusing her of being a bodysnatched Sith.

“Can I help you?”

Mara reached into her tunic pocket and pulled out a small datapad. “I recorded everything I could remember from Palpatine’s journals that might help you. I documented the locations of laboratories, secret projects, people who worked for him that might still be Imperial sympathizers. Everything that I can remember.”

Luke took the datapad with a surprised smile. “You must have been working on this nonstop.”

She nodded with a smirk. “Yeah, when I’m not out on hot dates.”

Luke blushed but remained silent. He looked to Jacen. “And why are you here?”

Before Jacen could answer Mara Jade chimed in. “Jacen here thinks I’m keeping secrets from you.”

Luke gave his nephew a disapproving look. “I thought we had an understanding Jacen.”

“I didn't say anything to her.” He turned to Mara. “She has an uncanny ability of interpreting a person’s body language and reading between the lines.”

Mara moved over to the couch and sat down leaning an elbow on the armrest. “Don’t blame him. He didn't say anything. I figured it out all on my own.” She sat back into the cushions. “And he’s right. I haven’t been totally truthful…but I told you upfront I wanted to keep some things to myself.

Luke nodded. “You did…but you want to tell me now? Why?”

She looked over to Jacen and smirked. “Because I am dying to find out Jacen’s secret and I promised that if he reveals his, I’ll reveal mine.”

Luke looked back at his nephew somewhat surprised. “You've been keeping a secret from me?”

Jacen heaved a sigh. “It is nothing bad…just private.”

“Oh.” Luke mulled that over. “If it a personal matter and not dangerous…I’ll respect your privacy.”

Jacen gestured his head toward Mara. “But I want to discover her secret.”

Mara chuckled. “First you have to fess up.”

He went over to the chair in front of his uncle’s desk and sat down heavily. “I’m not a loser womanizer. I never get past a first date because I don’t want to. I am in love with a woman who doesn't want our relationship known…and because I was somewhat a philanderer previously she wanted me to maintain the appearance so nobody became suspicious.”

Luke’s brow furrowed. “Why? Is she of a different species and dating a human is taboo?”

“Are you dating a barabell?” Mara asked with a teasing voice. “I heard they look down on interspecies relationships.”

Jacen turned to her and glowered. “No, she’s human.”

“Why the secrecy?” Luke asked.

Jacen took a deep breath and just came out with it. “It’s Tenel Ka. Her parents want to marry her off to some noble. I want to marry her. She needs to convince her parents that I would be a suitable mate.”

Luke shook his head in disbelief. “Why wouldn't you be suitable? You’re a Jedi and the son of the former Princess of Alderaan.”

“And the grandson of the Queen of Naboo,” Mara pointed out.

“All which are former nobles.”

“Hmmm.” Luke drummed his fingers on his desk. “Perhaps we can think of a way to convince her parents that you are worthy.” He turned to Mara. “Meanwhile, I think you have something to tell me.”

She grimaced slightly. “Okay, but reserve judgment until I am done with my story.” She paused as she collected her thoughts. “I was more than an Imperial Spy. I was something called The Emperor’s Hand.”

Luke gave her a questioning look. “I've never heard of the term. What is it?”

“Have you ever heard of Imperial Sentinels?”

Luke nodded. “Giant clones controlled by darkside adepts or the Imperial Inquisitors.”

“Right,” Mara confirmed. “They are lobotomized drones completely controlled by their Master. They have no will of their own…and therefore somewhat stupid and only useful as guards.” She took a deep breath. “Palpatine decided that he wanted an independent agent that he can control when necessary. I was his experiment. From the time I was a little girl I trained with weapons and espionage and learned all types of useful skills, but the main training was Palpatine’s mental control over me. He would tell me what to do and could monitor my progress through the Force. He could pop into my head at any time. If need be he could take control over my body and make me do things against my will.”

Luke’s eyes went wide. “What would he make you do?”

“Kill people,” she said softly. “I never targeted Rebels, but I did go after crooked Imperial officers, crime lords or deserters.” She leaned forward and looked down between her feet. “I only killed a handful of people and hated it. I think that’s why he selected me to wait for him and care for his clones if he died. He thought I could never take a life without him first exerting control.”

“And he thought wrong obviously,” Jacen whispered.

“After reading his journals…I was so kriff’n mad. My whole life was a lie. So yes, I killed them. I turned off the cloning tubes and let them all die…slowly, but while unconscious.”

Luke sat silently for a moment, letting the information sink in before turning to Jacen. “Does that ease your concerns?”

He shrugged. “It could simply be a story to hide the real truth.”

Mara turned and glared at Jacen. “And what would that be?”

Jacen blushed. “Nothing. It was a stupid theory.”

Luke’s lips twitched into a smile. “Jacen thought Palpatine’s spirit might have entered your body when he discovered his clones dead.”

“What!” she shouted before giving a shudder. “Jacen, Palpatine has never ever been in my body dead or alive.” She made a face. “Great! I’m going to have that horrible image floating around in my head all day.”

“Sorry,” Jacen responded with a hint of amusement.

Luke chuckled. “Shall we see what you put down on the datapad.” He looked to Jacen. “If you’re satisfied with her explanation, that is.”

“I am.”

Luke smiled. “Good, now that all the secrets are out we can get down to business.”

~~~

Hours later they identified two Imperial bases that were previously unknown to the Jedi.

Luke examined the datapad. “There was a weapons division located on Jagga II and a biological/Chemical research laboratory on Darten six.”

“Darten Six?” Jacen looked to his uncle. “Can I see the datapad? That planet sounds familiar.”

Luke handed over the device and Jacen tapped on the screen for a few seconds before finding the information he needed. “Now I remember. Darten Six is the future site of a major hyperspace lane hub that connects the inner core to wild space. From there a person can jump over to various trade routes. It’s a big project that is due to be complete in a year or so. It was previously an uninhabited planet. Now it has a big population of workers and land prospectors that are selling out parcels of the planet for new industry and homes. It could be a major metropolis within a decade.”

Luke scratched the stubble on his chin thoughtfully. “A previously uninhabited planet that is suddenly becoming populated and it was once the home of an Imperial Bio/chem laboratory…what can go wrong?” He turned to Mara. “Have you ever been there before?”

She nodded. “Once. Palpatine thought the senior scientist was selling secrets…lucky for him, he wasn't. I think I could find the location.”

Luke stood from his desk. “Good. You two pack a bag. We’re going to Darten Six.”