main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A serious and more in-depth analysis why I should bother registering to vote...

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother 3: The Mods Strike Back' started by Sebulba-X, Oct 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    ...even though I'm going to anyway. I moved a few years back and filed a change of address but sent it along with my wife's, they processed hers but trashed mine. Showed up to vote last mid-term and was sent home. I've enjoyed not having to worry about jury duty, even though I have served on a drug trial back when I was 18, and that was sort of interesting. In any case...

What's the point really...if you don't live in a battle ground state, your votes are already colored red or blue on the map. They don't count for crap. Sure the local coroner could use your support, it's always decided by whomever has the most family members voting for him anyway, but it's the presidential one that matters, and apparently the election of either person will signal the beginning of the Apocalypse, depending on whom you're listening to.

I could be the biggest Bush supporter or the most diehard Kerry supporter, neither matter, because I live in Indiana and Indiana has gone Republican since Lincoln cut down the cherry tree and hunted Moby Dick whilst riding a Pterodactyl. Strike that...during the re-election of Clinton, they knew it was going to be a landslide because it took an extra 1/2 hour before they could call Indiana's electorial votes for Dole. I'd say the same thing if lived in a purebred Democrat state too.

I guess all I'm really saying that the Electorial college sucks ass and should be dismanteld and burnt at the stake, but not before the morons who keep Indiana from observing Daylight Savings Time...those asses need to be drawn and quartered, have a bold L tattooed on their forehead, burnt at the stake, then forced to read EU, and only then, when they beg for death, laughed at.

2. Jjanda_Solo

Jjanda_Solo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    Daylight savings time should be done away with entirely.

And I'm almost 21 and have not bothered even registering to vote yet... nor do I particularly plan to.

3. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    Well, I'm fine with abolishing that too...but something as universal at freakin' time should be standard for everyone, and set federally, not at the whims of some farmers who are too lazy to set their clocks to times a year who've been elected to our state house, and some how have convinced people that we're "teh cool" for being different. It's asinine, and it's caused me to miss new episodes of the Sopranos at least 3 different times...if that's not enough to rebel, arm bears, and form a more perfect union, I don't know what is.

4. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

"I guess all I'm really saying that the Electorial [sic] college sucks ass and should be dismanteld and burnt at the stake..."

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand that the United States is a union of soveriegn states. The speaker also demonstrates an ignorance of federalism.

In other words, you shouldn't register to vote.

AYBABTU

5. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    Well, I did, so my ignorance is taking you down with me. Glad to see you aced poly-sci though, congrats on that.

6. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I will be in Greece for my 18th birthday. But upon my return home, I plan to register at once.

-Seldon

7. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000

I was at a seminar last week, and the speaker argued that the jury system was actually more democratic than voting.

Why? Because on a jury, a single member is one of twelve votes. During an election, you are one of thousands, millions, etc, depending on the office.

Random thought.

~H~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.