main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Serious discussion of the Indiana Jones Trilogy

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Darth-Seldon, Aug 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    [image=http://www.theraider.net/films/raiders/gallery/raiders_poster.jpg]

There are many threads that cover different parts of the Indy films. I wanted to make a more in-depth thread which deals with,

historical facts behind the Indiana Jones movies
    The process of creating the stories for each film.
    What influenced Lucas and Kasdan while they were working on Raiders.

George Lucas while coming up with movie ideas came up with the Flash Gordon like soap opera idea which became Star Wars. At the same time he came up with the idea of Indiana Smith, a man who finds strange artifacts. When George was on vacation he met with Steven Spielberg. As they talked Steven expressed the wish he had to direct a James Bond film. George replied that he had something better called Raiders of the Lost Ark. Steven later urged that they change the name to Indiana Jones. Lawrence Kasdan was hired as the screenwriter for Raiders. It is said that Kasdan added a "1930s charm" to the story.

Raiders of the Lost Ark went on to be my favorite film. In case anyone was wondering.

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Indian cults featured in "The Temple of Doom". I recall reading a little bit about them but I don't remember the specifics.

I just thought I would create a more in-depth discussion of this trilogy.

-Seldon

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > historical facts behind the Indiana Jones movies

This is covered very well here;

Indiana Jones: When History and Fiction Collide

And it would be a pity to lose that wonderful discussion to this thread.

I understand what you're trying to do, but the films are pure escapism, modelled on adventure serials of the 40s & 50s. I don't wonder if "serious discussion" isn't missing the point of the Indy movies entirely.

Anyway, good luck with the thread, I hope it works...

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    A form of escapism the films are. They are also based on the serials of the 30s and 40s. This however does not mean an in-depth discussion of the trilogy is impossible. The films are not a brainless form of escapism as we see in Hollywood today. They are very well produced films, especially Raiders. These are film classics and to have an in-depth discussion of them is very possible.

-Seldon

4. Jon

Jon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 16, 2004
    Does anybody know which serials inspired Indy? I know that Flash Gordon was an influence on the other trilogy, but which shows were responsible for Indiana?

5. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    Well, it was partly inspired by old serials but...

...'King Solomon's Mines' was an influence...

...as well as 'Treasure of the Seirra Madre'.

The character of Indiana Jones was partly modelled after Humphrey Bogart's treasure hunter 'Fred C. Dobbs' with his unshaven face and dirty fedora.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.