main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"A short time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." Far Future Story Index and Discussion

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DarkDroid, Jun 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkDroid

DarkDroid Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2004
    I looked and looked, and looked some more, with no far future fic discussions in sight. So, here's one! :)

When you step into the far future writing world of Star Wars, the possibilities are endless. You can time warp a pre-existing character, only to have them face a new terror, or come up with a completely new cast of characters and have them face the most dire of consequences (like a ressurected certain superweapon... ;)).

Whenever I find any of these kinds of stories on the Beyond the Saga boards, my heart jumps for joy. Personally, I think they're the gems of SW fan fiction.

Looking for more stories to add in the index! :D

***FAR FUTURE INDEX***

Please PM your story to DarkDroid in the following format. Only stories that take place 100 years or beyond RotJ will be accepted in the index.

Title:
    Author:
    Timeframe: # of years post-RotJ
    Summery:

Title: Chronicles of the Far Future
    Author: DarkDroid
    Timeframe: 1000 years post-RotJ
    Summery: The Galactic Alliance struggles to defend against the terrifying Dark Legion and it's Dark Lord Generals...

Title: Slayer
    Author: Idrelle_Miocovani
    Time period: 700 years post-NJO
    Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Angst
    Keywords: far future, OC
    Characters: OCs, C-3PO, R2-D2, cameos by several canon characters further on
    Summary: A thousand years have passed since the end of NJO. The events surrounding the Clone Wars, the rise of the Galatic Empire, the Rebellion, the Thrawn Crisis and the Yuuzhan Vong invasion have long since passed into myth and legend. Heroes such as Anakin Skywalker, Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa Solo, Han Solo, Mara Jade Skywalker, and Jaina, Jacen and Anakin Solo are considered mythological figures whose adventures are to be retold to children. The galaxy has been under the iron-fisted rule of the Hapans for five hundred years. The Hapan Empire is now expanding into the Unknown Regions, under the command of General Gareth Astrix.

Title: The Lightest Blades
    Author: Quinnocent-Till-Sith
    Timeframe: ? years post-RotJ
    Summery: A Jedi Knight and his padawan arrive on a planet to answer the call of distressed Jedi...

Title: The Silent Hunter
    Timeframe: 994 years post-RotJ
    Summery: The jungles of Drakka present a dangerous legend, one that will forever destroy the lifestyle of the natives... as well change the lives of two smugglers.

Title: The Truth of the Force Trilogy Part 3: The Way of the Truth
    Author: Spike2002
    Timeframe: 1009 years post-RotJ
    Summary: With the galaxy under the dispute of the genetically-engineered Negative Race and the forces of the Sith, a hero is born into the struggle; his destiny: to restore ultimate freedom to those who are left. His teachers? Two resurrected tyrants from an age long past, both seeking their own private redemption for their past sins.

Title: The Warrior of Aquilea
    Timeframe: 999 years post-RotJ
    Summery: In a desperate, epic struggle against the Galactic Alliance, the Dark Legion conjures their most deadliest weapon yet...

Title: Towards Darkness
    Author: Vongchild
    Timeframe: 1000 years post-RotJ
    Summary: This was ORIGINALLY a one shot. It's not anymore. Part one is about Kaelyn, a Jedi Knight fighting an ephemeral foe called the "Darkness". Part two is about Kaelyn's daughter Tamara and the "Shadow People" who seem to be from a different universe.

2. Predator150

Predator150 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2004
    Well, you are in luck mate, as the fan fic I'm now working on and has been in planning for almost 4 years is based beyond the saga.
    I have created a new terror, and have come up with a completely new cast of characters and they will be faced with the most dire of consequences (like a ressurected certain superweapon...

I find it hard to beleive that someone actually mentioned the exact Ideas I have come up with myeslf for my own fan fic.:)

3. DarkDroid

Feb 3, 2004
    I find it hard to beleive that someone actually mentioned the exact Ideas I have come up with myeslf for my own fan fic.

[face_laugh] In the words of one of my readers "Great minds think alike." ;)

It's not that hard to come up with and write a far future fic involving a ressurected Death Star though, so yeah. All you need is a little backstory. :)

4. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    It's not fanfiction, but in the Timetales on this site (Under Reference Library), there are summeries of far furure stories in the EU.

There isn't any complete story though.

The Anoth system collapses on itself.
    ?SW RPG Jedi Academy Sourcebook.?

c. +161 ASW4

According to an Imperial study, at around this time the raw materials in Kessel's crust run out and the atmosphere is thrown out of equilibrium, making the planet uninhabitable.

Conjecture based on ?SW: Jedi Search.? Moruth Doole says it will be "a century or two", so I'm rounding it off to 150 years. Entry by ratmankey.

+203 ASW4

The ore - rich worlds of Neena Province tap out.

Conjecture based upon ?SW RPG Lords of the Expanse.? With thanks to Nathan Butler?s Timeline Gold.

c. +1,000 ASW4 (?)

The Skywalker Holocron and other records, fables, and legends of that time are combined into the massive

First Saga of the advanced Holocron "The Journal of the Whills."

c. +1,011 ASW4

After centuries of moving closer and closer to the Kessel system, the Maw finally consumes and tears the planet Kessel apart.

?SW RPG Jedi Academy Sourcebook.?

c. +5,000 ASW4 (?)

An attempt by a spacecraft of the Star Wars galaxy to enter our own ends disastrously, and the ship is destroyed just inside our galaxy. A sea of debris flies out into space - including a copy of "The Journal of the Whills."

+10,188 ASW4 (1973 A.D.)

After floating in space for millennia, the copy of "The Journal of the Whills" crashes intact on Earth. It lands in Modesto California, in the backyard of young American filmmaker George Lucas. Wisely deciding to keep its existence secret, Lucas secretly begins researching and translating the Journal, dramatising parts of it into a feature film screenplay. (He is learning to translate as he goes, so it takes him four years and five drafts to get it right.) After United Artists and Universal balks at the project, 20th Century Fox agrees to produce Lucas's dramatised work. He creates Industrial Light and Magic to reproduce the holographic scenes shown in the Holocron. (81)

10,191 ASW4 (1977 A.D.)

The first part of Lucas's masterwork is released....

+2,000,027 ASW4

The protostar known as the Black Bantha, previously thought of as a Gamma Class navigation hazard, contracts enough to start fusing hydrogen.

Conjecture based upon ?NJO: Star by Star.? [Page 377]

5. DarkDroid

Feb 3, 2004
    All I have to say is that timeline is simply outrageous. [face_laugh]

6. Stormtrooper_Shrink

Stormtrooper_Shrink Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Agreed, bro. *stares* [face_laugh]

7. PadawanRoo

PadawanRoo Jedi Master star 1

Aug 7, 2003
    I've got a story based about 1,000 years after ANH.

What I've found useful about writing far future:

-It's a place where OCs can flourish. While there are many oc characters in the already explored timeframes, the far future gives authors almost total control over all the casting choices. You can pick your galacting ruling body, your jedi council, and your heads of crime.

-I really enjoy dealing with legend and myth. Things that we think are solidly recorded can get warped and distorted with time. I have a lot of fun playing with how the stories of the sagas have changed over time-- what parts of them are exaggerated, what parts forgotten, and how their legends of the events differ from our own.

-It allows you to reshape things-- who's running the galaxy? how did it get that way? are they repeating the mistakes of the past or making new ones?

-easy way to avoid dealing with those cheesy yuuzan vong. :p

In general, it gives the author a bit more control over the universe they're writing. It makes it easier, in a way, because you can make changes as you need to and justify them with the passage of time, and harder in other ways, because it takes a great deal more thought and insight to extrapolate why things are the way they are compared to the way they used to be. What elements brought about these changes? kond of like being a reverse-historian.

8. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    -easy way to avoid dealing with those cheesy yuuzan vong. :p

No kidding. They are the single greatest annoyance I've found in my current fic which takes place right after NJO. I have to mention them a few times (duh), but nearly every planet I want to use has been Vong-ified.

Good grief. Did they have to let them conquer both Coruscant and Yavin IV? Sure, you get them back, but Coruscant is slag and all the temples on Yavin are gone... they don't even have a good Jedi planet anymore.

Ossus? Pleeze.

Sorry.
    </rant>

9. DarkDroid

Feb 3, 2004
    easy way to avoid dealing with those cheesy yuuzan vong.

Or you can twist them to your own evil intent... [face_devil] :p

:eek: I've said too much... ;)

10. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    Love the timeline. the part with GL is LMAO-worthy.

I've never done far future before, though I've done distant past involving the long-lost human homeworld and the origin of the Yuuzhan Vong.

So, there were humans in GFFA while our ancestors were livin in caves? If anything, this proves the theory presented in Life, The Universe, and Everything (Douglas Adams, book 3, hitchhiker trilogy) that some 5000 years ago eath colided with some lost refugee ship.

11. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    THink that this is a great idea for mostly one reason: NO ONE FLAMES YOU BECAUSE YOU GOT THE CHARACTER WRONG!

12. DarkDroid

Feb 3, 2004
    NO ONE FLAMES YOU BECAUSE YOU GOT THE CHARACTER WRONG!

Unless you make a canon character do the time warp. [face_laugh] ;)

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    which I am not suicidal, so I would never do. Everyone hates me and flames me enough without me killing someone 5000 years away from their girlfriend.

14. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Unless you make a canon character do the time warp.

*looks innocent*

15. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    Actually, I did 400-years post ROTJ once. fun stuff.

*sings* lets do the time warp again!

;) Okay, maybe not. But its cool that no one can flame you for getting the character wrong.

But they can flame you for using the decendents of a certain couple. :(

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    It's just a jump to the left...

17. DarkDroid

Feb 3, 2004
    Hmmmm... I think it's time for a challenge. [face_devil]

How about write something that takes place 100 years after the NJO. YOu can choose to completely ignore the EU or not, and you can write anything from a vignette to a full length fic. If it's short enough to be read through in one sitting, post it here. :)

18. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    *waves hand in the air* I'm writing something far-future!!!!!!! It's called Towards Darkness and it's about 500 years or so post NJO

19. DarkDroid

Feb 3, 2004
    I'm reading it. :)

I think I'll also keep an index here, to keep track of each other's stories. Easier to find them too. [face_thinking] :D

I'll accept any work that is beyond 50 years after RotJ. :)

20. DarkDroid

Feb 3, 2004
    I've started the index. See opening post for details. :)

21. DarkDroid

Feb 3, 2004
    I've just started a new far future story... one with a unique twist.

It's supposedly, "never ending". :D

22. DarkDroid

Feb 3, 2004
    Giving this a much needed upping.

Updated the index... :D

23. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004

http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/17834337/?3

Here's mine which never gets comments except my own. :(

24. DarkDroid

Feb 3, 2004
    Yeah, it's quite hard to garner comments for far future fics, but remember there are the silent readers (as well as the loads of 'ships that push back all the interesting stories... :p).

Keep up the work, though, Q-T-S! :)

25. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Surprised you haven't included mine in yet.

Title: The Truth of the Force Trilogy Part 3: The Way of the Truth
    Author: Spike2002
    Timeframe: 1009 years post-RotJ
    Summary: With the galaxy under the dispute of the genetically-engineered Negative Race and the forces of the Sith, a hero is born into the struggle; his destiny: to restore ultimate freedom to those who are left. His teachers? Two resurrected tyrants from an age long past, both seeking their own private redemption for their past sins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.