main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Shrouded Path (Obi-Wan, Xanatos, Anakin - Prequels AU) - FINALLY Chapter 63 Updated 03-21-09

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Master_Noi, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Title: A Shrouded Path
    Author: Master_Noi
    Timeframe: TPM AU
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Xanatos, Anakin
    Disclaimer: The usual disclaimers apply.
    Summary: A dying Qui-Gon Jinn asks for Xanatos to do the unexpected.

I would like to thank obi-ew for feeding this bunny and for her wonderful portrayals of Xanatos that have inspired me to explore a character I would probably have passed over.

I would also like to thank her for her wonderful fic Lying From You that in many ways spawned the viggie that led to this bunny.

I hope to update at least once a month. Sometimes I'm really inspired and it's more frequently, sometimes real life and my three little boys O:) slow me down. But I try.

PM List

VaderLVR64
    PadawanKitara
    dianethx
    Jaira
    LadyLunas
    Independence1776
    Valairy_Scot
    padawan3
    JediMaster_Jen
    Gkilkenny
    EGKenobi
    RevansGhost
    arwenreielkenobi
    The_Slilent_One
    Kivas
    Redstarred19
    calimora
    AngryWarrior
    obsessedwithSW
    Broken_Circle
    Cole_Kenobi
    DarkAnakinfan
    ratna
    wolf_kenobi
    Milteck
    Force_Chick
    Jedi_Trevor_GulDan

2. Master_Noi

Sep 8, 2004
    Chapter 1

Glowing eyes infused with maniacal rage bore down on the embodiment of an ancient, hated enemy willing him to plunge into oblivion. The thrill of piercing the Jedi master?s body, of sensing his blinding agony, still surged through the horned creature and it felt alive. It brought its gleaming crimson blade down in swift strokes against the edge of the abyss showering hot sparks down on the young Jedi who hung precariously from the ledge below. The Sith Lord flashed a yellowed, decaying smile. Victory was at hand. There was rising anticipation in the Darkness as it lay waiting to close in and quench a bright flicker of Light from the Force.

Obi-Wan?s fatigued arms burned from finger tip to shoulder, crying out for him to release his grip. But the pain was mild compared to the growing ache in his soul. He had lost control. He had given into anger, given into grief, and now found himself clinging for his very life. He didn?t look down to contemplate the infinite depths of the melting pit. He had no intention of joining his lightsaber at the bottom, if there even was a bottom. To fall would be to fail, and then Qui-Gon?s death would be a certainty ? as well as the queen?s.

As he hung suspended between the regrets of past actions and concern for the future, Qui-Gon?s words were before him as always. Focus on the moment. And he did. Through the Force, his enemy, his would be slayer, stood as a swirling, swarming mass of repulsive darkness above him. The Light of his mentor, gentle and at peace, was present, but dimming. And at the Jedi master?s side, was his lightsaber, lying where it had slid from his hand. Obi-Wan looked to his mentor and back to the creature with new determination, ignoring the malevolent sneer that raised the edge of its lips. The Force?s promise of a weapon in his hands was a sweet taste in his mouth and he drew on that Force, launching his body up to somersault over the Sith. The saber made contact with his hand and ignited as his feet hit the ground, and the familiar emerald blade cut through the Sith Lord with a mist of blood, sending the two halves of the creature tumbling down into the depths.

Obi-Wan stood panting for a moment, looking into the emptiness as though trying to accept that the demon was now dead and gone. Thoughts of his fallen mentor drew him from his daze and he hurried to his master?s side, falling on his knees. He pulled the wounded Jedi into his arms with care.

?Master,? he whispered quietly. He pressed his hand to the side of the dying man?s face and began to channel healing energy to his wounds, ignoring any protests from his own exhausted and fatigued body.

?Too late,? the older man said weakly, recognizing his apprentice?s futile attempt to save him.

?No,? Obi-Wan breathed half in denial, half in desperation as he tried to harness even more of the precious healing Force. ?No.? But, he sensed the truth. The Jedi master?s life force was fading quickly. The most he could do was ease his pain.

Qui-Gon steadied his gaze on the younger Jedi with great difficulty. There was much to say and their time together was fleeting.

?The boy ? is the Chosen One?? He trailed off and fought to gain his focus again. ?He will bring balance.?

Obi-Wan nodded his head; oblivious to the tears had begun to form in his eyes.

?He must be trained.?

?I will train him Master. I promise,? Obi-Wan said, willing to do anything to allow the man who had raised him to die in peace.

?No.? Qui-Gon?s breathing grew shallow with his waning strength. ?Xanatos ? must train him ? will understand.?

?Yes, Master,? he said as a few tears escaped and began to slip down his cheeks.

A multitude of unspoken words were trapped behind the dying man?s weak, pale lips. There was no time. He used the last of his strength to reach up. He gently wiped the tears from his padawan?s eyes and brought his hand to rest on a dampened cheek, attempting a gentle smile. He hoped the simple gesture conveyed the love and affection he was unable

3. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    An intriguing premise and an excellent beginning. Looking forward to more! :)

4. MysteriousRaven13

MysteriousRaven13 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Excellent beginning, Master Noi . I think after reading obi_ew Redemption series, she has converted me into an Xani lover. :D (Like, that's a bad thing). [face_laugh]

Can't wait to read more.

MR13

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I loved the description of the fight - just like the movies - your story transported me there. But what a surprise to hear Qui-Gon asking Xanatos to train the kid. Seems to me that Obi-Wan would be a bit put out once he got over his immediate grief. I can understand that he would think a Knight should train a Padawan and Obi-Wan isn't a Knight yet but still...

Great job with this. Looking forward to reading a lightside Xan.

6. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh excellent start! :D Can't wait to see how this turns out! Poor Obi...

7. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Good god, Noi, you're turning into VL with the number of stories and vigs you're turning out!

Not that that's a bad thing. :)

Another great start. My favourite line was about the handmaidents - I totally see Xan laughing at all of them standing there in those bright orange cloaks. :D Great job!

More soon would be good. Either here or on the other one, or a viggie or... :p

8. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    [face_blush] Stop!

Okay more! :p

You're too sweet. I'm just thrilled I was able to badger you. I miss Xan and look forward to seeing him in action again. :*

Loved the opening. Poor Obi-Wan! It's good that he has his older brother there to help him. Anakin and Xanatos should be an interesting pair. I'm curious to see how you begin their relationship. I could see them butting heads. Too similar! [face_laugh]

Will try to be patient. Just don't make me wait too long! [face_praying]

Almost forgot! Look forward to you know what! ;)

9. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Oooh. Qui asked that Xanatos train Anakin?! Wow.
    Loved the way you've begun - I've no doubt it'll be another great story. More soon? [face_batting]

10. Siaynoqsbride

Siaynoqsbride Jedi Master star 4

May 17, 2005
    Oooh... this looks great! Wonderful start! I can't wait to see where this goes...

11. Phoenix_Reborn

Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2003
    Looking forward to more Noi!

12. maderic

maderic Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 8, 2004
    This is intriguing. I look forward to more.

13. Master_Noi

Sep 8, 2004
    Gina - I'm glad the premise is intriguing. That's what I always wonder about AU. Will anyone find this interesting?

MR13 - Oh yes, you have to love obi-ew's Xanatos. Not a bad thing at all. [face_batting]

diane - But what a surprise to hear Qui-Gon asking Xanatos to train the kid.

Yep, that was how the bunny first bit. The idea of Obi-Wan hearing Qui-Gon ask Xanatos. It might be something Obi-Wan thinks about after everything settles down. I imagine it more hurt to have Qui-Gon's last words be about Xanatos training Anakin.

Kynstar - Poor Obi... I hear that a lot lately. :p

Shaindl

Good god, Noi, you're turning into VL with the number of stories and vigs you're turning out! I don't think I've written that much ... yet :D

I totally see Xan laughing at all of them standing there in those bright orange cloaks.
    [face_laugh]

o_e

I miss Xan and look forward to seeing him in action again. I just hope I can do his character justice.

I'm curious to see how you begin their relationship. I could see them butting heads. Too similar! Forecast: timid start with had-butting in the future.

P_A - Qui asked that Xanatos train Anakin?! Yes, shocking isn't it. :p

siaynoqsbride - I have lots in fun in store. [face_mischief]

Birdy - And more will come!

maderic - Thanks!

Chapter 2

Xanatos and Obi-Wan stood outside the suite provided by Queen Amidala for their stay. Obi-Wan raised his hand, knocking softly and they heard a young feminine voice.

?Come in.?

The Jedi entered and both Anakin and the young woman stood to meet them. The hood of the handmaiden?s cloak was drawn back revealing blonde tresses pinned neatly at the top of her head. Apparently, Xanatos thought, they weren?t all clones of the queen after all.

?Jedi Kenobi.? She smiled shyly and then looked to Xanatos. ?I don?t believe we have met, Sir. I am Eirtae, one of the queen?s handmaidens.?

?Xanatos Marojni. I was Master Jinn?s first apprentice,? he said bowing slightly.

The smile dissolved and she bowed her head politely and spoke in formal tones. ?I am sorry for your loss.?

?Thank you,? Xanatos said graciously.

She returned her attention to Obi-Wan. ?If you are in no need of further assistance, I must return to the queen now.?

?Of course. Thank you for accompanying Anakin back to our rooms, my lady.?

The words slipped from Obi-Wan?s lips in his usual rich, cultured tones as he bowed. Xanatos rolled his eyes at the slight blush that crept into the young girl?s cheeks. It must have taken every ounce of training she had to not dissolve into complete giddiness. His padawan brother had a way of doing that to the opposite sex without even realizing it.

Xanatos bowed as well. He didn?t miss the passing glance in his direction as she hurried from the room. Apparently he hadn?t lost his charm either. It was actually a troubling thought though as he remembered that the ruler of this world and her attendants were only a few years beyond needing to return to the crèche for snack and naptime. He turned his attention to Obi-Wan and the young boy who was inquisitively looking at him. A multitude of questions were trapped behind the youngster?s bright blue eyes.

It was difficult for Anakin to believe the two men had been trained by the same teacher ? they seemed different. He looked from Obi-Wan to Xanatos and then back again. Xanatos?s tunics were dark, nearly black. His black hair flowed around his face, neat but nearly untamed, not pulled back. He had an odd scar, shaped like a half circle on his cheek. His intense blue eyes seemed to stare right through Anakin. The boy honestly wasn?t sure whether to like him or be afraid of him.

Both Xanatos and Obi-Wan had agreed not to say anything about Xanatos training him until they had opportunity to speak with the Council. The boy did not need any more uncertainty in his life. O

14. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Ohhhh I loved that ending there!! Xan sensing the Darkness examinging Obi and then Anakin then tried to do the same to Xan. Great job there!!

[face_laugh] Poor Xan ;) being badgered by a questioning youngling! LOL!

Excellent chapter :D

15. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I love how Xanatos feels so protective of both Anakin and Obi-Wan. Great lines aplenty in here Noi - the one about the Queen and her handmaidens being only a few years out of being returned to the creche for snack and a nap was my favourite. Great job - just loving this so far! :)

16. maderic

maderic Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 8, 2004
    I loved the little film reversal of roles where Yoda speaks to Xan instead of Obi-Wan. ;) Great chapter. Look forward to more.

17. Siaynoqsbride

Siaynoqsbride Jedi Master star 4

May 17, 2005
    Ooh, great post! [face_laugh] Poor Xani, being interrogated by a youngling. I am sure he has plenty of stories to tell Anakin. The darkness at the end was chilling and powerful. Great job!

18. Master_Noi

Sep 8, 2004
    Kynstar

Ohhhh I loved that ending there!! Xan sensing the Darkness examinging Obi and then Anakin then tried to do the same to Xan. Great job there!! Thanks.

Poor Xan being badgered by a questioning youngling! He has no idea what he's in for.

Shaindl

I love how Xanatos feels so protective of both Anakin and Obi-Wan.I hope to give some flashbacks soon and give some backstory.

Great lines aplenty in here Noi Thanks.

maderic

I loved the little film reversal of roles where Yoda speaks to Xan instead of Obi-Wan
    It was interesting to sit down and think of how Xanatos and Obi-Wan might interact.

siaynoqsbride

Poor Xani, being interrogated by a youngling. Yep!
    The darkness at the end was chilling and powerful. Thanks, that's what I was hoping.

19. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Xanatos moved closer to Anakin and Obi-Wan as though being nearer could give more protection from the threat he sensed.

My hero! [face_love] Very creepy moment there at the end. [face_worried] I'm worried about my boys. Yes, my boys! :mad:

Great job and I'm starving for more!

20. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    OH, I just saw this, looking forward to reading :D

21. ZekksGoddess

ZekksGoddess Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    Love this. I haven't read much involving Xanatos, but this seems to be a very intriguing AU...more soon, I hope?

22. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Ch.1

Such beautiful writing Noi! =D=

I was right there with Obi-Wan when that tragedy happened :_|

And Obi-Wan wasn't expecting to see Xan. That embrace [face_love] Alright, looking forward to more :D I'll be catching up soon, definitely a story to be savored ;)

23. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    Loving it can't wait for more. Can't waitr to see if it's a bad influence or good one.

24. Stargazer-19

Stargazer-19 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 29, 2004
    Wow! Great story!

A very interesting twist on the ending of TPM...of course I can see that it's kinda fitting that Xanatos be the one to train Anakin.

Xanatos rolled his eyes at the slight blush that crept into the young girl?s cheeks. It must have taken every ounce of training she had to not dissolve into complete giddiness. His padawan brother had a way of doing that to the opposite sex without even realizing it.

Xanatos bowed as well. He didn?t miss the passing glance in his direction as she hurried from the room. Apparently he hadn?t lost his charm either.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] .... This cracked me up, Obi not knowing his appeal with the ladies, and Xan being a little too aware of his.

Well like I said, great post! I can't wait to read the next one!

25. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    This is looking very intriguing! Great job!

I love how you show Xanatos' relationship with Obi-wan and Anakin. Loved Anakin questioning Xan. :) Really liked how Xan moved closer to Obi and Anakin too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.