main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Shrouded Path (Obi-Wan, Xanatos, Anakin - Prequels AU) - FINALLY Chapter 63 Updated 03-21-09

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Master_Noi, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broken_Circle

Broken_Circle Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2007
    ?I apologize now for things I may say or do in the next few moments,? Xanatos said in sort of an ominous warning. ?Trust me. This is going to sting.?

Yes, it did, literally! Poor Obi and even more poor Ben.

"I never realized I was holding you back so much."

*Shivers* Shades of ROTS here. Nice to see Anakin more worried about Xanatos than his fake Knighthood though. Wonderfully done; can't wait for more!

2. Cole_Kenobi

Cole_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2005
    Hello there. I have spent the better part of the night playing catch-up to this wonderful, fantastic, brillant, bloody marvelous story you have here! I havn't been this deeply and genuily mesmerized in a story in a very long time.

I have loved and enjoyed this story from the very beginning. It is simply amazing. Compeletely brillant. I've laughed and cried and have felt several "un-Jedi like" emotions, ahah. I absolutely love the way you portray Xanatos, he's been a favorite of mine recently and you do him justice. I'm just weary of this undercover assignment, I hope he does not sacrifice his soul along with himself but I know he would do anything for those he loves.

Loved Ben's reaction, poor guy. Ahah, poor Obi-wan, I'm sure that punch hurt like heck.

You have an amazing story, and I've been so delighted in reading it some far. It is of epic portions and has been a joy to read so far.

Please update soon! Please add me to your PM list, I would be extermly grateful.

3. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Oh shock horror, sock it to him Xani.o_O
    But go easy with the punch after all Obi is your best friend.[face_shame_on_you]

I hope Anakin doesn't blab to Padme, because she will tell palpy.[face_worried]

Excellent post.=D=

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    So the deception begins. Xan made it look good, attacking Obi-Wan like that. Plus Ben's reaction was just right. They might not have believed it otherwise. Although Ben and Anakin have quite a role to play, pretending that Xan has left the Order.

Good job.

5. wolf_kenobi

wolf_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2007
    Oh dear... this is where it could all go really downhill really fast. [face_worried]

Xanatos did an excellent acting job. Poor Obi...[face_beatup]

Good job asking Anakin for permission first.

Excellent post! Looking forward to the next post!=D=

6. Kivas

Kivas Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2005
    I fear that Xanatos will enjoy the taste of the dark side too much - at least
    for a time anyways.

7. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Out in a blaze of glory--that's just like Xan. Great work. =D=

8. DarkAnakinfan

DarkAnakinfan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    I've finally caught up here. Great post! I feel like I need to hang on to my seat because it should be a wild ride now. Poor Xan. So much is being asked of him here as well as of Obi, Anakin & Ben. I can't wait to see how this plays out! Please add me to your pm list!

9. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm worried that this deception may end up being quite costly. [face_worried]

?The Council, Obi-Wan, you, and I have asked that Ben be told. That?s it. Everyone else must believe I have fallen ? your mother and Cliegg and Owen, Bant, Senator Amidala, everyone.?

?It?s not fair!? Anakin snapped heatedly. ?You have worked so hard, and now they are asking you to flirt with the dark side again.?

?We never are guaranteed that life will be fair,? Xanatos replied firmly. It was a lesson he had tried to instill in his apprentice since the beginning of his training. ?Having worked so hard to resist the dark side is what makes me best suited for this assignment.?

?What if I lose you?? Anakin asked, sounding more like a lost little boy than the young man he was becoming.

?You could lose me on one of these hellholes that they call battlefields,? Xanatos reminded sarcastically.

?That?s not what I mean.?

?Padawan.? Xanatos spoke in the soft voice he had always used to reassure Anakin after a bad dream or when a mission had gone bad, the one that held the wisdom and strength of one who had faced much and always came through. ?I gave you my word that I would not fall again ? that I would die first. It?s a promise I don?t take lightly. I will remember that you are here holding me to that promise if it gets tough.?

?When do you have to give an answer?? Anakin asked in a near whisper.

?The Council has given me a week to explore the matter.? Xanatos rose to his knees. ?I will not accept this assignment if you are not in complete agreement as well. Will you help me, Padawan??

Anakin too rose to his knees, and both master and padawan sank into the agitated currents of the Force, hoping that together they could make sense of it.

Can't wait for the next update! =D=

10. AngryWarrior

AngryWarrior Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2005
  11. Jaira

Jaira Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    Brilliant acting that was, gentlemen. =D= Now, it's time to see how Xan handles being up close and personal with the Dark Side again.

12. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    New to your story, just caught up ... just in time to be worried sick about what is coming.

I have been on kind of a Xan jag, ever since stumbling onto EVIL Magier's Threads, and Legacy, and then Itachi Uchiha's ADDICTING Headstrong. Sheesh.

I LOVE your characters and the way that you have portrayed them. Love the way that the events from the trilogy have morphed under your pen (keyboard). Love the great relationships among the characters. Love the idea of lineages within the Jedi. Love this story, period.

Please pm me when you update!

(P.S. Qui-Gon's line. Yes, that is the key in it all. You are playing it through beautifully.)

13. AngryWarrior

AngryWarrior Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2005
  14. Jedi-Master-Jurron

Jedi-Master-Jurron Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2005
    Moving this up! Great work keep it up!

15. Jedi-Master-Jurron

Jedi-Master-Jurron Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2005
  16. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Valairy_Scot - I think that Xanatos decking Obi-Wan really helped get the point across. Everyone knows they are close.

BrightFeather - Right now the Dark side could have anyone in its sights.

Bkcbookworm - They really needed Ben to be confused.

LadyLunas - They made it look good then.

LordPullus - I think Anakin is going to feel a little lost, which is probably not good. It is good, however, that Obi-Wan and Ben are there for him.

Itachi-Uchiha - Xanatos has a plan that will hopefully make Dooku think he isn't interested in being in his inner circle.

The_Slilent_One - Hopefully, Xan's role can be adequately addressed after all is said and done.

RevansGhost - Both Xanatos and Anakin are going to obviously feel a certain amount of trepidation about this all.

Redstarred19 - I think this is something Xan knew he couldn't do without Anakin's acceptance of it.

OBI-LOVE - Yes, it starts.

obsessedwithSW - I think that Xanatos is a much more human mentor than Obi-Wan was with Anakin. He allows Anakin to see his weakness along with his strength.

PadawanKitara - And now for the encore.

bek - The fact that Anakin is there waiting for him is something Xanatos will keep very close.

Ocelotl_Nesto - We are hoping for them to fall for it hook, line and sinker.

Jedi_of_Imladris - He is going to feel like keeping to himself for a while I think and when he does go out it is going to be tough for him to not defend Xanatos.

Independence1776 - Oh, I am sure Palpy will be delighted in many ways to hear of Xan's departure.

Broken_Circle - Obi-Wan can't say he wasn't warned.

Cole_Kenobi - Wow, thanks. I am glad you are enjoying this so much. You are right about this version of Xanatos. He would do about anything to protect his family.

Gkilkenny - And Xan likely knows that Obi will forgive him.

dianethx - I think that both Anakin and Ben are highly motivated to play along because they know that they must do so if they want to protect Xanatos.

wolf_kenobi - It either goes downhill or onto being heroes.

Kivas - He is going to be tempted, that is certain.

JediMaster_Jen - No one would believe it if he went quietly.

DarkAnakinfan - They just need to hold on to each other and they should be fine ... unless something tears it all apart.

VaderLVR - Close scrapes with the dark side usually tend to go that way.

AngryWarrior - Thanks for the up.

Jaira - Well, he's not looking forward to it.

ratna - I just find it interesting how so many of the main characters even in canon are connected by their lineage.

Jedi-Master-Jurron - Thanks for bumping this up.

17. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Once again, I am breaking free from RL for a while to bring you a post. I really keep hoping it will slow down soon.

Chapter 60

No one dared challenge the stately Jedi master as he pushed his way through the patrons. He was an intimidating enough presence even if he did look out of place, and none of this sort wanted trouble with the Jedi. His nostrils flared, his patrician nose twitching at the noxious mix of cheap liquor and body odor. If the Force presence wasn?t so mistakable, he would had left long ago. The audacity ? a Jedi padawan at a place like this and he was not even bothering to shield.

The crowds finally parted enough, allowing him to catch sight of the object of his search. The young man saw him too, visibly sighing as he whispered something to the lithe Twi?lek draped across his lap.

?Master Dooku,? Xanatos acknowledged with a casual nod of his head. Blatant disrespect ? a Jedi padawan always stood when an elder entered the room. He would learn.

Reaching out, Dooku grabbed a fistful of tunics and yanked the young man over the table and to his feet, sending the Twi?lek falling and several empty glasses crashing to the floor.

?I am astonished that you feel this is acceptable behavior for a Jedi padawan,? Dooku rebuked sternly. ?Do you have any idea what hour it is??

?As long as I keep up with my training, my free time is my own,? Xanatos bit back.

?Yes, I am well aware of how Qui-Gon indulges you.? Dooku released his grip and smoothed the shoulders of the young man?s cloak before straightening his braid over one shoulder. ?However, my former pupil has left you in my care for the duration of his current assignment.?

?He asked you to oversee my training.? Xanatos pushed the older man?s hands away. ?I am hardly a crèchling who needs care.?

?Perhaps.? The Jedi master flashed a stern smile. ?But you lack discipline.?

?I rank highly among my peers in training ? have excelled in all my studies ? have successfully completed two solo missions. I think that speaks for my discipline.?

Xanatos turned and started out of the cantina, slapping the credits to cover his tab down on the bar before leaving. Dooku trailed him out into the alley before grabbing the young man?s shoulder and spinning him around.

?What do you want from me old man?? Xanatos snarled.

?What is your goal in life??

?To become a Jedi knight.? Xanatos spread his hands to the side and offered a curt bow. ?Then, a Jedi master.?

?And beyond that??

?What? Sit on the Council?? Xanatos let out a chuckle. ?I?ll clue you in. That?s never going to happen. They don?t like me, and the feeling is mutual.?

?So, you?ve already given up on anything extraordinary ??

?Look!? Xanatos interrupted. ?I?m sorry if you?re bitter that the Council appears to have overlooked your obvious brilliance and that Qui-Gon seems to not feel the Force is leading him to kiss up to the Council,? Xanatos mocked. ?And apparently I?m a pretty big disappointment to you also. Better luck with the next ??

The sharp slap left a red mark across one pale cheek. Those midnight blue eyes shifted, anger burning through the half-drunken haze. Dooku had definitely gotten the young man?s attention.?

?My master will hear that you struck me,? Xanatos threatened.

?I am sure there is a lot he will hear about.? Dooku latched onto the young man?s arm and began to drag him toward the waiting speeder. ?A little discipline will do you good while your master is away. You only think you have worked hard before now.?

Xanatos had chosen the small spaceport. He had remembered it from his days on undercover assignments as an information hub for many of the unsavory sorts in the galaxy. It was likely that Dooku had eyes and ears here. He and the Council had agreed that seeking Dooku out was not an option. It was too obvious. Xanatos had to draw Dooku to him. After speaking with Yoda, they had agreed that the best way was to tempt the old man?s sense of superiority. Now he was beginning to doubt

18. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Xanatos rubbed a hand across tired eyes, dragging it down across a stubbled cheek as he reached into the Force to clear his mind. He reached for the half-empty glass in front of him and finished off the contents. His face twisted into a grimace as he added the empty glass to the small collection in front of him. If nothing happened soon, the Council was going to begin to wonder if he had decided to genuinely drink himself into oblivion instead of just appearing to do so. Hopefully word of the bar fight the previous night hadn?t gotten back to them.

He focused his thoughts and pushed the doubts away. Dooku would come.

{Master, I wish I could ask your advice on how to deal with Dooku. We never really got along.}

Xanatos had no doubt that Qui-Gon could hear what he spoke into the Force and at times got brief flickers of something that passed for communication with the deceased master, but that was all. A slight warming along the former training bond brought a smile to his face.

{If I screw this up and get myself killed, I know Obi-Wan will take care of Anakin. You will have to take care of Obi-Wan.}

The hint of laughter, as though it was something he even had to ask. Then more seriously, a deep sense of reassurance.

Well, at least Qui-Gon wasn't worried - so all will (eventually) be okay, right?

Dooku was/is a stern and disciplined man all right - harsh. How did Yoda allow that attitude to stay - or has it merely come out since his knighting?

19. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    ?What is it Master??

?We received a short message from Xanatos??

?And ..?? Anakin practically interrupted.

?Dooku has taken the bait.?

?That?s good,? Ben said. ?At least I think that?s good.?

?It is,? Anakin said. His master had survived his initial meeting with Dooku and was in state of being able to send a transmission. The young man?s momentary relief was tempered with the knowledge that the real danger was now beginning.

How true! And I can't wait. :p

Great update. =D=

20. Ocelotl_Nesto

Ocelotl_Nesto Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    This was a tasty post....

It is nice to know that they had a history.

Well done... but will the bait turn into a meal or bring in the big fish.... hmm

21. OBI-LOVE

OBI-LOVE Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2007
    Great suspense. Now the real worry begins. Xanatos will need all the help he can get against Dooku. Maybe Qui-Gon can help through the Force?[face_praying] Great post, as always.

22. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Dooku left, the door sliding shut behind him. The Sith?s presence stayed nearby indicating that escape, even if Xanatos desired it, was not an option. The fact that the Sith had left him armed meant that he expected no threat, that he expected his offer to not be refused.

Xanatos rubbed a hand down his face. He had been successful, which only meant that his situation was about to become more complicated and dangerous. Sliding a portable transmission device from its hiding place, he sent one encoded transmission. ?Bait taken.?

Xan better stay the good guy! Wonderful update!

23. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Good update Master Noi,

I didn't get a PM though, and I should be on the list. Any chance you could put me back on?

Thanks

EG

24. Itachi-Uchiha

Itachi-Uchiha Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2007
    Ah Xan. I'm worried about you. [face_worried] While I trust that he has learned his lesson there is no telling how being surrounded by the darkside can affect him over time. I'm sure Dooku will be watchful. :( Great post. One of my favorite. =D=

25. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Heavy feelings of foreboding here. Something tells me that Dooku is not so easily fooled. (Except by Palpatine ... we can only be fooled by what we desire....) Loved the flashback, btw. Xan was a bad boy. But in a different way than Anakin. Stroke of genius you putting them together the way you have. I wait eagerly for your next post, whenever that may be.:)

26. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Loved the backstory and how it matched with the current events. LOL on Xan pretending to be drunk.

?I will admit to a certain amount of pride in you, actually. I had never thought you would obtain the rank of Jedi Master or take on the responsibility of an apprentice, but that no longer matters.I have come to realize there is a deeper potential in you, one the Council clearly does not appreciate.?

Dark tendrils of the Force slithered around his mind, serpents ready to raise up and strike. Xanatos slammed down his shields. ?The dark side?? he let out a humorless chuckle. ?All it has ever done is cost me.?

?Only because you fear it instead of embracing it.?

Dooku yanked Xanatos to his feet by a fistful of tunics before dragging him up the stairs and depositing him roughly onto the sleepcouch in the Jedi master?s rented room.

?Clean yourself up. Tomorrow, when you aren?t so ? impaired ? we will discuss your future.?

I have to wonder what Dooku is playing at. Surely he must know that Xan wouldn't go dark now, not after all this time.

Things are heating up.

Good job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.