main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Shrouded Path (Obi-Wan, Xanatos, Anakin - Prequels AU) - FINALLY Chapter 63 Updated 03-21-09

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Master_Noi, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    Xanatos was utter coolness when dealing with the snouted intruder on Tatooine!

Obi-Wan lost Anakin the very first time he was asked to look after him - tsk! I think it's time for him to go off on some solo missions and spread his wings a bit, and learn to stand on his own.

2. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    I will have to do author replies a little later. This post has been a struggle and I'm short a few brain cells right now.

Chapter 9

?You?re a much better cook than Obi-Wan,? Anakin said shoveling his last bite of eggs into his mouth.

Xanatos seemed to not hear, stirring the young boy?s frustration. He had woke up bubbling over with excitement at having his master home and eager to attempt to dig more details of the mysterious trip out of him. Surprisingly, he had found the Jedi kneeling in his room, deep in meditation and was now uncertain whether the man had slept the previous night. Searching the pale features of his master?s face, he could still see the remoteness of deep thought in unsettled blue eyes.

?I can imagine that,? Xanatos replied suddenly as though there had been a lag in time and the question had finally caught up with him. ?Master Qui-Gon quite enjoyed cooking so neither of his padawans got much practice at it. I learned quickly when I got out on my own. Obi-Wan will as well.?

?But Obi-Wan needs a lot of practice.?

?Anakin!? Xanatos said sternly, feeling the need to bite his lip to keep from laughing. ?He tries.? He thoughtfully took a sip of tea, and Anakin noticed his distracted gaze settling back on the wall somewhere over his shoulder. Determined to not lose the newly won attention, he reached out through their fledgling bond and brushed against Xanatos?s mind, hoping to express his concern.

?I?m sorry Anakin.? Xanatos chuckled lightly, finally focusing all of his attention on Anakin. ?I?m a bit preoccupied with seeing the Council this morning.?

?I thought you said they just wanted to hear about your trip.? Anakin scrunched up his face in puzzlement. ?Are you afraid of them??

?No, not at all ? but I have to tell them some things they are not going to want to hear.? Xanatos reached across the table ruffling Anakin?s hair. ?It?s nothing for you to worry about.?

?How long will you have to be with the Council??

Xanatos knew Anakin?s motives for the question and couldn?t blame him. They boy was not thrilled to be staying behind alone in their quarters. Under any other circumstances he would take Anakin with him. It would be a good experience, but today was different.

?Hopefully not long.? Xanatos leaned forward, meeting the boy?s eyes with a piercing stare that demanded compliance. ?Anakin, I need you to promise me that you will not leave these quarters while I am gone.?

He could almost see the struggle within the young mind. There was a sincere desire to obey, to please his mentor by doing what was expected of him. But his curiosity and desire to explore seemed to call out to him like the wild calls to an animal in captivity. It was this hesitancy Xanatos saw returned in crystal blue orbs ? and it gave him little comfort. He opened his mouth to speak more of it when the door chimed.

He looked up smiling at who he sensed on the other side and went to answer the door. Obi-Wan stood there in casual sparring tunics. ?I know you are heading for the Council chambers soon and was wondering if Anakin might like to tag along to the training rooms.?

Xanatos?s face twitched into a smile as his young apprentice?s exuberance almost jumped out at him from behind. ?If you want to go Anakin, you need to wash up and change your clothes.?

The boy quickly disappeared to the refresher without being asked twice, and Xanatos looked at Obi-Wan gratefully. ?I owe you.?

?And, I do I intend to collect one of these days.? Obi-Wan stepped in and leaned against the door frame flashing Xanatos an impish grin. ?I just thought you might be a little more focused in front of the Council if you knew where your padawan was.?

?It will help, but he needs to learn to stay put. You won?t always be around to be a second set of eyes.?

?You will get your taste of single parenthood soon enough,? Obi-Wan teased. ?The least I can do is help while I?m around.?

Anakin nearly bounced back to the doorway, bubbling with anticipation ov

3. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    I just love Xan in this [face_love] Looking forward to training Anakin and sticking up for his own beliefs in front of the Council. :D

He could almost see the struggle within the young mind. There was a sincere desire to obey, to please his mentor by doing what was expected of him. But his curiosity and desire to explore seemed to call out to him like the wild calls to an animal in captivity. It was this hesitancy Xanatos saw returned in crystal blue orbs ? and it gave him little comfort. He opened his mouth to speak more of it when the door chimed.

Wonderful writing Noi!

So sad that Obi-Wan is leaving for awhile, I can feel the sadnes right along with Anakin. But I am looking forward to seeing the bond develop between Xan and Anakin!

This is too much fun, you know! Evil, evil writer Noi! :D

4. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    But this Council must allow me to train Anakin differently, uniquely. It took one failure for Qui-Gon to understand that the Jedi way does not always work. Does the Council really require a second??

You tell them old stuffed shirts sweety! :D Wonderful post as always. Love Xan wanting to be the one to teach Anakin everything and Obi seeing that. I hate to see Obi go too, but I'm sure Xan and Anakin need time to be alone.

5. AP4EVER

AP4EVER Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    "Having not met Shmi Skywalker, you would not know that she is a sweet, tender spirit and I believe Anakin could benefit greatly from her gentleness." And if he were willing to admit it, so could he. "She has a selfless desire for what is best for Anakin, which makes our situations very different."

Well said! I like how Xan has basically revealed that the Council's argument is like comparing apples to oranges. And I see that he didn't tell them about his plan to buy Shmi's freedom. A wise move, since no doubt they would try to hinder his ability to do so (aka hit his finances).

"I would hope the Council has more faith in my judgment than that. Anakin does not know I have been to see his mother and he will not know until I feel he is ready. I am well aware he is behind his agemates, and that we have much ground to cover in order to catch up. But this Council must allow me to train Anakin differently, uniquely. It took one failure for Qui-Gon to understand that the Jedi way does not always work. Does the Council really require a second?"

=D= Indeed! Sock it to 'em, Xan![face_beatup]

Also liked Ani & Obi's talks about training. And, truth be told, I actually expected Obi-Wan to volunteer Anakin to partake in the saber training. But I guess since he's had no training with a saber (practice or not), it wouldn't be fair to risk embarressment on Anakin's part.

Fantastic chapter, Noi. Can't wait to read more!

6. Master_Noi

Sep 8, 2004
    Okay, author replies from last week's post as promised:

bek

Let Obi think that big brother knows everything. Yeah, he probably should have kept that tidbit of information to himself. :p Thanks.

AP4EVER

Wouldn't it be the best birthday present for Anakin to not only see his mother, but to have her free as well...but can it be done in four years time?

We will have to see what can be done in four years of time.

I really liked seeing Xan stand up to Palpatine...which is both good and bad. Good, in that there can be no doubt that Xanatos cares about the boy; bad, because Palpy is going to have to be more ruthless and cunning if he wants to get the Chosen One as his apprentice.

I think we can say that Palpy is going to have to work real hard to even see Anakin, but the Sith are patient.

jacen200015- Thanks :)

VaderLVR - Glad you are still enjoying.

Khris0117 - I am enjoying AU. Thanks.

obi-ew

Yes, Obi-Wan will have to go off alone at some point, although I hate to break up the happy little family.

Ob-wan-shawa

Ice cream the necter of life for kids.

I have three boys and it is indeed.

Kitara - I'm glad. :D

tangled_sphere

I had a lot of fun with the last post.

You know, Xan sounds so much like his Master when he talks about the Council

I have to think that if Xan had stayed in the Order he would do his own thing as well and would have some issues with the Council.

Kynstar

Yes, you have to love Dex. And, where else would Anakin go? Ice cream and cool stories, what more could an adventuresome young boy ask for?

DarthMousche

I love this Xanatos and that Obi-Wan has an older brother-type figure to lean on.

I am really loving writing this Xanatos. It is the first time I've written a Light-side Xanatos.

Jedi_Tigris

Looks like Anakin is already being the Anakin we all know.

I don't think even Xanatos will be able to drive all of the rebelliousness out of Anakin, but he might get a few gray hairs trying.

Stargazer-19

Someone should really tell the Jedi that the cutting off of limbs is not an appropriate way to begin or end a conversation...

Yeah, it tends to leave a bad impression. :p

I suppose some things transend even AU's.

At least in my thinking. :)

forever_jedi

I enjoyed writing this intruder feeling like he is empowered in control, when Xanatos was really quite in control all the time. And yes, it is time for Obi-Wan to find where his destiny lies since he is not the one training Anakin.

And for those who have already read this week's post:

tangled_sphere

Well, the Council thought Qui-Gon was defiant ... What? Me evil? [face_mischief]

But I am looking forward to seeing the bond develop between Xan and Anakin!

I think Xanatos and Anakin will have an interesting relationship. It won't be perfect, and won't always be peaceful.

obi-ew

Love Xan wanting to be the one to teach Anakin everything and Obi seeing that.

I figure Obi-Wan would want to leave the firsts for Xanatos, even if he gives him a little bit of a hard time about it.

AP4EVER

And I see that he didn't tell them about his plan to buy Shmi's freedom.

No need to tell them everything. [face_whistling]

And, truth be told, I actually expected Obi-Wan to volunteer Anakin to partake in the saber training.

That might be a little much for him at this point. But, he will get to accept that offer one of these days. ;)

7. Crazydan

Crazydan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2005
    I wonders how different Anakin will be, with Xanatos' training. Will he fall to the Dark Side or not? Will Xanatos understand why he fall in love with Padme?

8. DarthMousche

DarthMousche Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    It was very cool to see Xan stand up to the Council, probably in a way that Obi-Wan never could. I'll be the Masters didn't know what to make of that. I could see the steam coming out of Mace's ears. I think it will make quite a difference in the way Anakin turns out.

I think this will also change Obi-Wan's growth as a Knight now that he has the chance to feel out the role on his own without being responsible for anyone else.

9. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I am a knight now and it?s time for me to go find out what that means

The one thing he never got to do in canon. I don't know why, but it sound like he is a little bit lost or confused saying that.

10. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Way to go Xan! Stand up and tell them off! :D They need to know that Anakin is different and will need extra than what the normal Jedi does. Great update!

Poor Anakin :( he doesn't want Obi to be so far away... And I can understand Obi wanting to get a mission. He wants to put his thoughts on other things so he doesn't dwell on what happened on Naboo.

11. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    [announcer] And first up we have Xanatos vs. the Council! This looks to be an exciting, extended match folks, so sit tight and watch it unfold![/announcer]

Loved that scene Noi! Wish I'd started reading this earlier. Great job so far.

12. forever_jedi

Jun 5, 2002
    Xanatos is practically perfect! And totally Qui-Gon's student. It's amazing how much he's come to love Anakin in such a short time! Nice that Obi-Wan has quit his hanging around and is off to do something on his own and gain some experience. In this AU, will he get to choose a padawan who is more suited to him?

13. Tweets

Tweets Jedi Youngling

Jan 31, 2005
  14. Master_Noi

Sep 8, 2004
    Crazydan - All questions I hope to answer. I think Anakin will face the same struggles, but hopefully Xanatos will understand those struggles better.

DarthMousche

It was very cool to see Xan stand up to the Council, probably in a way that Obi-Wan never could. I'll be the Masters didn't know what to make of that. I could see the steam coming out of Mace's ears. I think it will make quite a difference in the way Anakin turns out.

I don't see Obi-Wan standing up to the Council like that either. And yes, I think Mace found that just a little bit frustrating.

Kitara

I don't know why, but it sound like he is a little bit lost or confused saying that.

I think had things happened as they should have, Obi-Wan would have taken the trials and Qui-Gon would have seen him into knighthood, so I think it is hard to have it thrust upon him suddenly. And a little lonely to watch Xanatos and Anakin while he is going off on his own.

Kynstar

They need to know that Anakin is different and will need extra than what the normal Jedi does.

It seems so hard to get them to understand. [face_frustrated]

kateydidnt

I am glad you liked Xanatos vs. the Council. I have fun with it.

forever_jedi

Xanatos is practically perfect!

I think the Council might disagree. But, it's his flaws that seem to make him perfect in this situation.

Tweets

[face_shhh]

15. Master_Noi

Sep 8, 2004
    Chapter 9

?Why did you have to go and do something stupid like that?? Anakin spat out at the other boy sitting across from him in the room, breaking an uncomfortable silence. ?I mean what were you thinking ? or were you even thinking??

?You wouldn?t understand.? The words were spoken calmly because unlike Anakin, the other boy was not overly prone to anger which made their current predicament all the more puzzling. He was the last person in the creche Anakin ever expected to fight.

?So everyone keeps telling me,? he huffed, wanting to lash out at the other boy and remove the annoying calm from his face. ?Why don?t you start explaining? We?re supposed to be thinking about our actions anyhow and I?m tired of not understanding.?

?Look, I?m really sorry I got you in trouble.? A crack opened in the boy?s shielding and Anakin?s strong connection to the Force immediately zeroed in on powerful currents of shame and sadness. Realizing the breach, the boy quickly tightened his shields, looking away. ?I?ll tell your master what happened and everything will be fine.?

?Now you?re the one who doesn?t understand. You don?t know how hard I?ve worked to stay out of trouble lately.? It was the truth. Obi-Wan was coming back to the Temple soon and he didn?t want to chance being ?confined to quarters? so he had been on his best behavior.

?He?s not going to blame you for this.?

?You don?t know my master.?

Xanatos could sense the hostility and anger radiating from the room before he even entered; it assaulted his senses like facing the heat of a raging fire. In the little over two years since Anakin came into his life, he had found himself in this situation far too often. Trying to school his expression to somewhere between ?mildly disappointed? and ?I?m going to kill you when we get back to our quarters,? he stepped through the door. The two boys looked up at him with serious expressions, and Xanatos crossed his arms over his chest. His eyes lingered on the rapidly darkening purple bruise across Anakin?s cheek before sliding to the other boy. Obviously his apprentice had gotten a few good punches of his own in as well.

?What happened?? The tone of his voice and his very presence commanded a response, and Anakin sat up straight. Before he could get any words out the other boy spoke.

?I started it. I tackled Anakin. He was defending himself.?

Xanatos stared his padawan down, clearly unconvinced, drawing an answer with his eyes. ?I threw the first punch, Master,? Anakin relented. ?After he tackled me,? he growled out, scowling at the other boy.

?It was completely my fault, Master Marojni,? the boy insisted.

?Thank you for your honesty about your part in this, but by all accounts I have two boys here who were wrestling on the floor throwing punches at each other, so it was both your faults.? Xanatos pinned Anakin down with his gaze again.

?I was raised in the Temple and should have better control over my anger. I should not have provoked him.?

Anakin lunged. ?So first you?re telling me I don?t understand - now you?re better than me?? He stopped abruptly and flopped back into his seat at a slight Force push from Xanatos.

?Obviously not,? the boy said quietly, shaking off a solemn look that crossed his face. ?Obviously I?m not better than you.?

?What?s that supposed to mean??

?Padawan, go wait for me in our quarters. We will discuss this when I get back.?

Anakin opened his mouth to protest and shut it quickly at the flash of irritation in his mentor?s eyes. ?Yes, Master.? He walked out of the room and Xanatos sunk down into the chair next to the other boy.

His head was bowed and dark brown curls hung down nearly covering his face. Despite the simple assertion that he should have better control over his anger, Xanatos sensed no anger ? only utter humiliation. The boy shot a nervous glance in his direction.

?I?m really, really sorry Master Marojni.?

?First fight??

?Sir?? he questioned politely.

?I was in a lot of fights as a youngling

16. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oi! Yoda playing match maker again! [face_laugh]

Poor Anakin :( he didn't know that Ben's time was approaching and that his friends wanted to be alone with him.

Glad to see that Anakin realized and can understand that now.

So Obi and Ben? [face_thinking] This could be interesting! :D

17. Khris0117

Khris0117 Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2005
    Uh oh. Obi-Wan is about to be cornered isn't he.

Great update. Very interested to see where this story goes.

18. AP4EVER

AP4EVER Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    Trying to school his expression to somewhere between "mildly disappointed" and "I?m going to kill you when we get back to our quarters," he stepped through the door.

[face_laugh] That is rich, and so very accurate when dealing with troublesome children.

"But I didn?t touch the Darkside," Anakin protested.

"It?s a fine line my padawan, and chances are you won?t realize when you have crossed it."

Too true, just look at the canon.:(

...Xanatos marveled at the fact that the boy could legitimately hurt for a boy that he had exchanged blows with less than a couple of hours before.

Yet another one of his amazing gifts.

"A good conversation you had?"

Xanatos jumped up and turned quickly, instinctively looking down at the challenged grammar. Sure enough the aged Jedi master stood there.

:eek: Holy Crap! I jumped slightly too!

"...Returning to the Temple Obi-Wan is. Seen them as master and padawan I have for some time, but his master?s stubbornness Obi-Wan has."

This just goes to show, that one should never underestimate Yoda!

:D Another well written post, Noi! I'm axiously to see what happens when Obi-Wan returns.

19. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002

LOL! [face_laugh] Yoda's up to his little tricks again. :p [face_laugh] Meddlesome little troll :p

20. forever_jedi

Jun 5, 2002
    Hmm... I sense an apprentice in Obi-Wan's future. :) I hope Obi-Wan himself chooses Ben, and is not coerced into it by Yoda or by Xanatos. Looking forward to seeing Obi-Wan after two years - hope he is cooler, more mature. And hopefully, there will be a couple of jealous little interludes of Anakin feeling a tad miffed about Obi having a padawan of his own! :D But.... Anakin seems to have anger issues even under Xan's tutelage - he is too eager to assume that the other boys' not wanting to include him was all because of him.

21. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Ben! :) Thank you for bringing him into this. I look forward to seeing the noose close around poor unsuspecting Obi. [face_dancing]

22. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I see a Padawan in his future too. :p

Another lovely chapter! If you send PMs when you update, please put me on the list.

23. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Yoda is up to his old tricks :D

24. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Obi-Wan is in for a surprise :D Xan and Yoda on his tail [face_devil]

And I am so glad Xan is keeping in contact with Shmi [face_love] Though I feel so sad when I see her separated from him. I am glad that he has Xan though, a calming influence AND someone who understands.

Xan is wonderful in this! [face_love]

Looking forward to seeing what happens next [face_mischief]

25. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Wow I found this story again

Yoda's match making again this is good.[face_dancing]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.