main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Small Double Standard

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Ignant, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Often in this forum, when a member has a personal complaint, they are told to take it to PM. There is no need for airing it publicly, a policy I fully agree with. If something is an issue between one member and one mod, it should stay that way. Did I just say the same thing three times over? Probably, but it matters not.

My issue is this; sometimes, when a mod bans a member, and edits the offending post, they'll take a little shot. Adding a little public humiliation to a ban. For example, in Porkins In A Speedo's current comedy smash, 'Eh' (now available in the JC), JMT edited a post made by Fate Naberrie. In editing, she said she 'was sick of Fate's attitude'. Now, I am by no means singling out JMT, I have always found her to be a vewry fair mod. It's jsut that this is the newest example I have seen. But it happens more often than it should. I don't think it's neccessary, and to me it does create a double standard.

I suppose I asking that if a mod edits and bans, and feel the need to comment further, could they possibly simply PM the person and explain a bit. I don't think publicly is the way to go.

Here is that rather delightful thread.

I would also like to restate that this is in no way meant to attack JMT, I think she rules. :)

2. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    I like that thread. It is very most cool. Fate's post was excellent, and I don't think jmt should have taken it personally. But hey, I am not jmt.

BLAMMO!!!

3. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Bringing emotion into your duties makes baby Jebus cry.

Staying objective and keeping comments like that confined to PM makes baby Jebus happy :)

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I agree with Ignant.

However, please do recognize that Mods are human (not ALICE-bots, despite Sebulba's love for them) and are prone to the occasional crabbiness, grouchiness, etc. that being an overworked volunteer can only exacerbate.

So, it may happen on occasion -- but I think it's definitely the exception rather than the rule. And I also agree with "j-m-t rules"...

5. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    I do not think this is a situation that warrents a policy discussion. ;)

I posted what I was thinking. I made no mention of a ban, therefore, I do not see how anything I posted contributed to any humiliation. If something I posted was wrong, I apologize. - I am not open to the suggestion that I make mistakes. ;)

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    You sig alone proves you can make mistakes: "Let's go Red Wings?" I think not... I mean, who likes hockey anyways? Honestly? :p (you just can't make mistakes on the JC ;))

But the general policy discussion at hand was: "Mods should act professional in their bannings; any side comments should be directed to a user in PM, not publicly in the thread."

Which is the general sentiment that I agree with.

Anyways... off for a bit... ta!

7. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    For example, in Porkins In A Speedo's current comedy smash, 'Eh' (now available in the JC),

i'm sorry but that was just sad. try making your case without attacking a person who isn't even involved.

8. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998

"For example, in Porkins In A Speedo's current comedy smash, 'Eh' (now available in the JC),

i'm sorry but that was just sad. try making your case without attacking a person who isn't even involved."

I agree with Pias. I didn't laugh at that thread once.

UKS

9. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    (figures something out)

My God. This is bigger than the time I finally realized Palpatine was Sidious.

Rick McCallum loves you!

10. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    ignant's insinuating that the thread was meant as comedy, which therefore makes the author (who is me. it's a good thing my VF alias is common knowledge otherwise that clever devil, ignant, would have a major revelation that people couldn't give a damn about) look lame and unfunny, was in no way meant to be funny (but at least when i am indeed starting a thread for comedy, i'm not copying someone else). and i would think that the first post which links to an article would make that clear to the average monkey. but then again, when one cannot let go of their dislike for someone they tend to try and make that person look bad now and then, as is the case here with ignant's sad attempt to take a pot shot at me.

11. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Oops. I never followed the original link so I assumed it was a Standard "Humourous" JCC Chat thread, and as such, I took the cheap shot about it not being funny.

My mistake. Please carry on.

UKS

EDIT: Errr Pie... a 136 word complaint, all over Ignant's use of "Humourous"?

Let's not make a drama out of a detail, guys.

12. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    don't try and make me the bad guy, uks. you know as well as i do the history of ignant's little pseudo-clever subtle attacks on me. and quite frankly, it's become incredibly lame and worn out.

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Drop the discussion of both PiaS and Ignant here. It's irrelevant to the main point of the thread, which is whether or not moderators should refrain from making any kind of personal remark in their editing.

14. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    so maybe jmt should have been more professional. so maybe she made a mistake. she apologized for it and even said that there was no ban issued.

can we move on now? or are there other examples of this 'double standard' other than the one pointed out in 'that rather delightful thread'?

15. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    she apologized for it and even said that there was no ban issued.

Fate was banned, though.

Her quote, "I made no mention of a ban", just stated that she didn't mention it, not that it didn't occur.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your post.

16. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    i misread jmt's post. but she didn't say fate was banned. and i'm assuming fate was banned for the behavior, not something personal. and i don't see anything humiliating about what jmt edited into fate's post. if anything jmt was making it clear that she is not going to allow someone to humiliate her. //shrug

17. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    so what's wrong with a
    Not Appropriate
    ?

18. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    there's nothing wrong with that.

jmt apologized, didn?t she? what else do you want? i'm guessing fate was banned for what she said, which also happened to be something personal against jmt.
    You know what Fate? I am tired of your attitude. Frankly, I don't deserve it.
    the last sentence indicates that jmt was responding to something personal that fate said. i'm guessing that fate was banned for a behavior and the statement by jmt was in response to a personal attack by fate rather than a response to what fate was banned for. hope that makes sense.

and until someone posts other examples of this 'moderator double standard', this whole discussion is about a hypothetical based on one incident.

19. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    aw, dude, what the hell... I had an edit, but it apparently didn't go through. Crap.

Anyways my edit basically said that mods are held to a higher standard than regular users, and they know it.

While jmt didn't do anything supremely terrible... she could have just as easily sent a PM or something. It's just kind of childish to post a shot at another user once they're banned.

20. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    If a mod bans a member and edits the post they should take a little potshot - they should completely take the piss in fact.

But if there is no ban and no edit then just PM as there is no issue.

21. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    again, i don't see where jmt posted 'a shot' at fate or tried to humiliate her. i think that's a bit of an exaggeration.

again, jmt apologized, what else do you want? of course mods should be held to a higher standard. that is why maybe jmt made a mistake, for which she apologized.

22. Amidala_wannabe

Amidala_wannabe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Sadly the double standard happens way to much on these boards.

Ami

23. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i'm unsure of my take on this, but mods leaving personal remarks both after edits and after closed threads have been happening since the boards began.

edit: did anyone see fate's post?

this is where a ban questioning thread would be helpful. what could fate have said that was so damaging as to recieve a ban? did it deserve a ban? who knows? we never will, unless fate questions it. there's a definate flaw there in the system.

24. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I don't think what Fate posted required a ban at all. I thought it was funny, and any mod with a sense of humour should have seen the funny side too. If anything JMT should have responded with something equally as witty as a retort, rather than weilding the ban-stick.

Ignant is correct, the patronisation, humiliation, and personal attack by JMT was totally uneeded, and very unbecoming of mod.

I suggest the mods try and keep things a little more professional.

25. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    I saw the post, and thought it was funny. If I were jmt I would have put that in my bio. (it was a photoshop edited picture - which is re-posted later in the thread BTW)

Anyway. I don't feel that jmt did anything wrong in posting that comment. Nor do I feel that Fate deserved a ban. However, I am not a mod and hence not in a position to decide - and for good reason too.

BLAMMO!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.