main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Social Experiment I Conducted

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darryl Cooper, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Darryl Cooper

Darryl Cooper Jedi Padawan

Feb 9, 2017
    I watched the Star Wars saga in this order; OT, OT:Special Edition, PT, ST, but I have always wondered how people would find watching the saga in chronological order. So I showed 3 different people of different demographics the saga from I-VIII and Rogue One. I thought it might be risky starting them off on TPM, thinking I may lose them there but actually they thought that was the perfect starting point and loved the film. Here was their judgement:

Female/27 years old/Likes Gone Girl, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Harry Potter and Avatar (no other interest in sci-fi or fantasy and hates war films)
    Enjoyed the prequel trilogy, especially ROTS. Thought the OT was a bit rubbish and boring. Enjoyed the ST so far, thought TLJ was a good thriller. Thought R1 was good but very much a spin-off and not to be seen as part of main saga. Thought saga was good in general but not going to be a huge fan, interested in IX and to an extent, Solo.

Male/23 years old/Likes Doctor Who and Harry Potter.
    Really enjoyed the PT, loved the politics of TPM. Thought OT was okay but wished there had been a more complicated story and more politics, felt simple compared to PT. Loved the new ST characters. Thought R1 was good but too much action over story. Excited to see Solo and IX, now keeps up to date with news and speculation.

Boy/8 years old
    Loved all films. SW is now his favourite thing in the world. ROTJ is his favourite, mainly because of the music in the scene where Luke goes nuts against Vader. Although loves TFA and TLJ (probably watched TFA more than any other film), he thinks that TFA and TLJ should not have been made as ROTJ had the perfect ending and wishes the saga ended with VI. Enjoyed R1, especially K-2SO, really excited for Solo and IX.

Very surprising feedback, at least I thought so. Has anyone else here conducted a similar experiment with chronological viewing?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  2. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
  3. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Sort of. I have a number of friends with kids in 8-10 range. Only one of of them in that group is a big Star Wars fan but on the scale of Star Wars fandom I'd say they're closer to being a casual fan. The general impression they have, which saddens me, is that the ST is the perfect entryway for the kids because it combines the best parts of the PT and OT into one slick, modern package. They also like it for the same reasons and literally chalk up the hate to "Angry fanboys like (talking about me)." And all of the kids love it to such an extent that many of the boys now have Kylo Ren posters on their walls and toys and 2 of the girls are huge Rey fans.

One person even made an analogy to their new Mustang and stated that it had all the best elements of the past Mustang but all the best modern touches too.

The adults loved Rogue One. The kids did not like it as much as the ST.

That's all I've gathered from people with kids in that range anecdotally.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Moved to the Saga Forum.

5. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Of course, 3 people is not enough to make a general statement, but it's always good to see that the PT works really well without any other film. The OT is a bit harder to get through, partly because it comes after the very complex PT, but also just because it is a simple old-fashioned narrative that you never find in the movies nowadays.

Oh, and I fully agree with the 8 year old boy. The Saga should have ended with ROTJ.

6. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    And that's exactly why I would watch (though I guess such a marathon will never happen in my life) or introduce the saga to a potential viewer who doesn't know SW, in the order they were made, and not include either TCW or ST. I'm not sure if I'd include R1, possibly at the very end as a "flashback" to the OT, or maybe even start with it and then proceed with the OT and PT.

devilinthedetails and Sarge like this.
  7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I introduced my four kids (6,7,8, and 9) to the SW films last fall. And then TROS when it came out. They all (except one, who doesn't like sci-fi) loved the whole thing. My youngest got a bit bored during parts of the slower ones (TPM, ESB, TLJ) but they were all able to grasp the overall story and recognize the parallels between trilogies' main themes for the most part. The biggest thing perhaps was that they actually saw I-VI as completely Anakin's story. Then the ST was basically a continuation of events after that, kind of a "what happened with the rest of the characters afterward" feeling. Them seeing Palpatine return seemed to make sense to them, as basically "he came back and they have to kill him for real this time" kind of idea. There was nothing missing by them knowing Vader was Luke's father from the beginning-and only my two oldest realized that Sidious and Palpatine were the same person. Also, they saw no discernable difference from a special effects and picture/audio quality standpoint from trilogy to trilogy-but then again, they're little kids...

At any rate, by seeing it all in a row from I-IX, with spinoffs in their place, they became very invested in the story as a whole-and the lack of OT shock value didn't diminish any of their enjoyment.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  8. The Maverick

The Maverick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2020

what this proves is:

[​IMG]

the younger you are the less cynical you are. I think the 8-year-old boy captured what Star Wars is all about. And probably testament as why the Skywalker saga part of the franchise should have stopped after ROTJ

9. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Yeah. I was fortunate enough to not use the Internet regularly until I was a teen, so I never saw the PT hate or that "it ruined the OT" until I was about 13 around 2011. And I was pretty shocked to see that. Luckily, I never really dug deeper into it until I was 17. And then I joined the boards during TFA to see the magnitude of anti-PT sentiment, which died a lot in the last few years. So, I was able not to see or think much of it during the height of it, and when I did realize it, it died down just as quickly as I found it during the ST era.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Reminds me a lot these tweets

Also if you are interested in digging in a bit

I mean I think seeing it all at once, the OT just becomes part of the wider hole instead of this....Pinnacle of Star Wars that thou shall not touch or mess with. It's just...a piece of a larger tapestry of Star Wars.

A tapestry that one also includes TCW, Rebels, Resistance, Mando, if one reeeeeeeeaaaaallly wants to add to the On screen Star Wars watch. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2020
  11. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Interesting social experiment. Thanks for sharing your results.

My personal view is that I'm never surprised when millennials and older Gen-Z (or really anyone millennial and younger) like the PT as much or more than the OT. One of the main reasons that I think the PT appeals to this demographic is the politics of the PT, which is often listed as a favorite aspect of the PT by those who love it and one of the chief negatives by those who dislike, who are typically from the generation that saw the OT come out in theaters. The politics of the OT (because the OT does have politics) are very much rooted in the Cold War era with the world-destroying weapon of the Death Star being a fantasy/sci-fi way of grappling with the reality of nuclear weapons that can destroy the world many times over. The PT is more about the politics that millennial and older Gen-Z saw play out as they were coming of age. It's about a once great society falling from its own rot and corruption. So, I think the PT speaks to this demographic as the OT spoke to an earlier generation (often the parents of those who loved the PT). The OT and PT are both time capsules in a sense that capture the essence of the time in which they were created.

The eight-year-old boy loving all the films doesn't really surprise me since all the Star Wars films work well as fun action movies at the least in my opinion.

People millennial and younger seeing Star Wars for the first time and liking the ST doesn't really surprise me because those films are the most contemporary in terms of things like special effects that can age quickly and sort of date a film and demographically the ST is more reflective of a diverse society in terms of the presence of females and people of color both in main character and minor character roles. As a kid, my brother and I had noticed how white (Lando the only black guy) and male (Leia, Mon Mothma, and Beru the only females with speaking lines, I believe) the OT was, but re-watching the OT now, that lack of diversity is probably what dates the movie the most. Watching the diversity of the ST feels much more natural than only seeing white males in this galaxy far, far away that is imaginative in so many other aspects. It's worth noting that in the US, millennials and younger are far more racially diverse than Boomers, so millennials and younger may be able to see themselves and those they know reflected in the ST's diversity in a way they can't in the OT or the PT (which again isn't wonderful from the diversity standpoint).

I'm not surprised with people seeing Solo and Rogue One and enjoying them but seeing them as more spin-off and supplementary than part of the main saga. I believe that is even how Disney itself might have perceived Solo and Rogue One. Certainly Solo and Rogue One weren't really marketed as part of the main saga but rather as anthology films.

As time moves further away from the release of the OT, I think that it'll be more prone to being seen as "boring" to people who didn't watch it in theaters and probably didn't even have parents who watched it in theaters (likely the case for today's children), but I think it'll still have enduring appeal to many as an exciting adaptation of the classical hero's journey in a very imaginative universe with all sorts of interesting planets and lightsaber battles and with the spiritual mysticism of the Force. I think the OT will be considered a classic essentially. Some people love classics and others find classics boring. It's all a matter of opinion. As time moves further along, we will see if the PT and the ST can make a similar leap to classic territory.

Sith Lord 2015 and Deliveranze like this.
  12. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I agree with the highlighted. I've always felt the politics of the OT are very reminiscient of the Nazi era (at least the Empire itself), and I imagine there were many during the time of the OT that were in their childhood while all that was going on-or who had parents who lived thru all that, so I'd guess it could hit a note for them in that way (Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone who was an adult in the late 70's, cos I was only 2 when ROTJ came out so I'm just presuming based on logic). I also agree that the young generations of today-like 20 and under-enjoy the ST and possibly the PT more since they not only better reflect the kind of diversity we see in society today, but also that they are more "hip with the times" if you know what I mean in terms of the acting, comedy and action. I experienced this abit with my kids as well (see my previous post from a few days ago).

Now, one big thing I will add though is that another thing which contributes to why someone may like a certain trilogy better than another is also this: what was it that they were first exposed to?

It's a natural thing to greatly favor the original of something, cos that's when it all started for that person. We see this with books, movies, even music-there's a special sense of nostalgia that can't (no matter how hard we try) be matched by anything that comes after. There are many people that love the OT cos they saw them all in theaters but barely-if at all-like any other SW films, there are those (like my 18 yr old nephew) who greatly favor the PT but don't care as much for the rest, cos that is their first experience with SW, as a little kid. Both of my sons-who are 7 and 10-like Kylo Ren better than Darth Vader and they prefer the ST films the best, cos that's what was in all the stores, commercials, posters, theaters and even soup cans and school supplies when they were first starting to get interested in SW. There's of course many all-saga fans (like myself) and of course it's not a hard and fast rule, but there's no denying there's always just that extra something special about the first ones we were introduced to-the first ones that started it all for us and sparked our love for SW. Some may come super close, but still...just lack that special...something that our personal first one has.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Gonna be honest I think we are there... I know a few people around my age who think the OT is kinda boring

To speak for myself I defiantly find ANH slow at points and really only like the 3rd Act of ROTJ myself....Empire honestly holds up the best from begging to end

14. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I first saw the OT when I was in my early teens (special edition) and enjoyed it very much. Then along came the PT and I really enjoyed it, probably slightly more than the OT. But I also discovered over the years at how much I enjoyed how the two trilogies meshed well together. I have yet to warm up to the ST, but I really enjoyed the two stand alone films.

Huh?o_O

Count Yubnub likes this.
  15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I find these kids you interact with wise....I can't wait for them to be the dominant voice of the Star Wars fandom and kick us old hats in the intellectual behind so we can go off and retire ;p

16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Sorry for the DP but I did think of something.

I do feel like overall the ST was skewered a lot more towards younger audiences by just the characters and the pacing and the action compared to the Anthology films and maybe even Mandalorian.

TFA especially.

So I can see age being a factor when it comes to maybe younger kids not liking the Anthologies like Rogue One more than the ST films.

Sarge likes this.