main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    Does anyone else read this magnificent series by George Martin? It is amazing, epic fantasy at it's best. I'd go as far as to say he has outdid Tolkien. I almost cried at parts, such as Caitlyn in the later books when she sees Rob killed in front of her.

I am reading A Feast for Crows now.

So, yeah. Discuss.

EDIT: Ah, I just saw a Feast For Crows discussion and a speculation, but no threads for the series as a whole so I'm not locking right now. :)

-The Scummy-

2. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I met George RR Martin amonth or so ago andgot my copy of Feast signed! These books are amazing. i reread the first three in the few weeks before i started feast.

3. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I got these books for Christmas (well first 2.5 anyway. SoS is so huge it got published in two volumes here) and so far they are excellent (I am about two chapters into CoK).

I love the unexpected twists and whatnot...there's no 'hero protection bubble' here, which I have become used to in my other (admittedly limited) fantasy reading. The whole incredibly detailed world is amazing; I find there are tons of little references in the text I'd like to know more about (i.e Aemon the Dragonknight or Selwyn of the Mirror Shield, or the Age of Heroes). So far, I think Tyrion is my favourite character- honourable, in his own way, yet still a Lannister through and through.

Any thoughts on who's going to be ruler/s of Westeros at the end of the series?

4. Blaine_The_Mono

Blaine_The_Mono Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    Outstanding series! The writing is beautiful and the characters are brilliant. I love the way how we're not forced to see that "this person is good and this person is bad," sort of thing.

5. -RebelScum-

Feb 21, 2004
    I think Dany. Incidentally, keep any Feast for Crows spoilers or spoilers in general DARKENED! (I havn't got to finish Feast as I have required reading for school)

-The Scummy-

6. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I love this series. I really need to reread the whole series. I started reading A Feast for Crows and found myself a little lost. I'm hoping to get some time soon.

7. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    I haven't picked up A Feast for Crows yet but I'm planning on doing it soon. I reread the other three over the holidays just to get caught up. I have heard good things about it so I'm very excited. :D

8. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    Anybody who liked the books should check out "The Art of A Song of Ice and Fire" which was recently released. It has some super neat illustrations.

9. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Agreed. I have the book as well, and it's quite amazing.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I think Dany will end up ruling Westeros too. I mean, we're initally taught the Targaryens were bad people, mainly through Viserys and The Mad King; but it becomes apparent this isn't the case and that in all probability, the inbreeding helped with those random bouts of instability. Raven also posted a nice theory about Dany and Jon being siblings, over in Amp.

E_S

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    There's a lot of evidence to indicate that this was the case--I once read a ten page list of references and source material from the books that support that theory, over at the boards at westeros.org.

12. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    The theory I have read is that Jon Snow could possibly be the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. There is an article to this theory that is rather convincing. I forget where it is but I think I linked to it in my other Song of Ice and Fire thread. I believe Daenarys is the Aegons daughter, not Rhaegars, right? Rhaegars wife was killed at Kings Landing and Daenarys was born after the attack on Kings Landing, I think. I have thought for awhile that both Dany and Jon would be essential to the defeat of the Others, and maybe even the title Song of Ice and Fire could refer to them. Jon as ice and Dany as fire. Who knows!

13. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    I meant to say Daenarys is the daughter of Aerys, not Aegon. I get those names mixed up sometimes!

14. Blaine_The_Mono

Blaine_The_Mono Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    http://www.towerofthehand.com/articles/a/0011/

Might not have been the one you were talking about but it's still a damn convincing article.

EDIT: Ah, sorry, didn't realize you'd already posted it in another thread :p

15. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    That is a very interesting theory.

16. -RebelScum-

Feb 21, 2004
    That theory is fascinating. =D=

-The Scummy-

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yup, that's the one I saw on westeros.org. Glad someone finally formatted it though.

The thread they used to generate that theory is positively HUGE--and it runs for like 4 years or so.

18. -RebelScum-

Feb 21, 2004
    I bet, I didn't even noticed much of the stuff mentioned.

-The Scummy-

19. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    How many people here are members of Aosiaf.Westeros.org

20. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Anybody play Warcraft III? One of the levels is titled A Symphony of Frost and Flame. I thought it was a cool nod to the Song of Ice and Fire series.

21. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I have but I never picked that. Very cool :cool:

22. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Martin announced what the final title will be of the epic:

A Hope for Spring

23. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    That is for book 7? Hmmm.

I don't know if I like it.... it's a little.... generic. and a little pansy. Oh well. I'm sure the book will be awesome. SW has lame titles, and that doesn't affect them any :p

24. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    Hmm...what happened to A Time for Wolves? Is that being pushed to Book 6, or has the name been canned?

25. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    That was going to be 7 but apparently been dropped. And I thought it was A Dream of Spring?