main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    I tried getting into it. I think I got 6 chapters.
    It seemed like it was well written, but pronouncing some of the made up words was driving me nuts.
    I got too hung up on that to actually enjoy/try to understand what was going on. I do envy those who
    were able to stick with it though.

2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    It can definitely take a bit to get into the swing of the novels, and there's a case to be made with starting with the second book, then going to the first.

Aegon Starcaster likes this.
  3. Aegon Starcaster

Jun 27, 2013
    I'm sure I'll give it another go sometime in the future. I've heard a lot of good about it, so, naturally, I'm intrigued.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I-- what?

EDIT: Oh, didn't see the entire conversation. lol

Saintheart and RC-1991 like this.
  5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    At this point I think I'm just going to focus on the TV series and be pleasantly surprised when Winds of Winter comes out.

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Indeed. Gardens of the Moon is just straight up bizarre.

I should finally finish that series but they're so dense I'd have to reread them again and ain't nobody got time for that.

7. Aegon Starcaster

Jun 27, 2013
    The sequence of historical events detailing the world GRRM created is really difficult to recall, if you've only read the books once, or even twice.
    So, if you want to brush up on your knowledge of ASOIAF, these videos might help. I don't think they've been posted here yet. The narration is shared
    by members of the Game of Thrones cast, which is really cool.

8. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    They were produced for the Blu-rays.

9. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Speaking of the Blu-rays, are the extras worth it? I have HBOGO, so re-watching the episodes is easy - but content like this might be worth owning.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm hoping to get season 2 for Christmas even though I've watched a fair number of episodes from that season. I'm a collector.

11. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
  12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Both seasons are among the best-looking Blu-rays I've ever seen. Streaming doesn't compare. If that's not enough, the special features are extensive.

GrandAdmiralJello and krtmd like this.
  13. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Fixed it for ya :p

14. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I think you can make the argument that, so far, ASOS is the best book of the series. And so AFFC and ADWD feel, to some, like less than that book. But no way - not a third rate writer, IMO. Of the 5, I found Dance to be the biggest let down of the series, but I've found it improved upon re-read, particularly by reading it "A Feast for Dragons" style.

15. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Ok yes I'll take that. And to be honest I would have rather had half the story for half the characters than the full story for half the characters like he did in the last two. Because...in a series of books, thats how it is, their story isn't over until the last book.

16. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i thought game of thrones was the strongest entry in the series honestly. it felt the tightest and most like something HAPPENED with the clearest direction. thereafter i feel like things have been increasingly muddled

timmoishere, Volderon and Coruscant like this.
  17. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Pretty much. Even in ACOK the prologue was 20 pages. Considering AGOT chapters were fairly succinct and to the point.

18. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    that's what happens when your book becomes successful and you want it to becomes a series, and then you make it bigger as your ideas becomes bigger. It being a book Martin has the opportunity to explore EVERYTHING HE POSSIBLY CAN in 2000 pages. Still it test his audience patience.

Danny should have been in Westeros last book. I hope she's there atleast mid-way through WOW. Really irritated if she doesn't make land fall until the end.

19. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Agreed. The most interesting part in ADWD was Danys council strategizing about how to deploy to Westeros. Then the stalling began.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    When a series become popular and successful, the author will write more words because they feel they can get away with a lot more.

21. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Definitely. I had actually considered writing "if/when" originally. :p

22. yankee8255

May 31, 2005

I'd probably rate ASOS just ahead of AGOT, mainly because he cleaned up his prose a bit, or maybe I just got used to it. There was a stretch in the first third of AGOT where I could barely stand it, and seriously considered dropping the book series.

23. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Obviously, there are as many opinions on this as there are readers. He's a slow writer and definitely wordy, but I don't feel he's out to milk his readership. An author like that would be churning out drivel every year and telling us to like it. I'm waiting anxiously for TWOW because I need to know what happens next. GRRM is responsible for that.

24. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I don't know about that. I think the frustration people have is that he seems to be doing anything and everything except writing TWOW -- tours, other projects, writing episodes of the show, etc. At the same time, in the last few books he's expanded the number of plot-lines significantly. Those combined leave people justifiably wondering if he's ever going to finish.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I get that. I do. And I certainly share the fears of many that he won't finish, although I firmly believe he wants to.

I can also see why someone might not want to sit and work solely on one project, instead preferring to do multiple things. I know I would be bored by that, and like to have many things going on in order to keep my interest.

Obviously, it's just my opinion among many, but I happen to enjoy the expansion of the plot-lines and the world he's built. I'm looking forward to reading The Princess and The Queen. I want to read the fourth Dunk and Egg story. This all enriches the world and entertains me. And hopefully keeps GRRM fresh and happy.