main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Ordered it, its coming here in a few days.

Why not?

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Because that's the polite way of saying he never wants to read anything by George RR Martin again. :p

That would be my reasoning, anyway. It could be some sort of "vote with your wallet" declaration to try and pressure the completion of the main tale over coffee table books and short stories.

3. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Well. Kind of. I'm going to read the main novels if/when they're finished. But hes notoriously late on his projects and some of these short story authors have been waiting until George is finished whatever he has to be finished with for his submission. One anthology was so late it was insane. I get he has a lot of work but to delay and delay publishing when other authors also have a stake in it is kind of...not nice. But I guess thats the price to be paid for having a story in an anthology.

And that Tyrion book is nothing more than a money grab. He doesn't need the money, he has 12 million.

4. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Just finished the Princess and the Queen. It was pretty good I'll post some brief spoilers

Here's the family tree. As you can see, it doesn't branch very far (especially Daemon Targaryen). The Blacks are the supporters of Rhaenyra and the Greens the supporters of Aegon II. Just a note one ages. Rhaenyra's Velaryon children were her heirs before her two Targaryen ones. At the beginning, Rhaenyra is 32 Jacaerys is 15, Lucerys 14, Joffrey 12, Aegon III 9 and Viserys II 7. Aegon II was 22, Helaena 20, Aemond 19 and Daeron 15.

[​IMG]

The sides of the civil war were

Aegon II
    House Lannister
    House Tyrell
    House Baratheon

Rhaenyra
    House Stark
    House Tully
    House Arryn

Many of the minor lords in the Riverlands, the Reach and the Crownlands were split. Dorne was an independent kingdom and didn't take part. House Greyjoy was approached by both sides but they aren't in the story after that so they might have stayed neutral. Most of the major battles took place in the Riverlands and the Reach and the Crownlands

Here's another tree (kind of confusing) but this one shows the dragons

[​IMG]

There were some cool duels. This is one part of the book that suffered from its dry history style. It would have been awesome to see some POVs .

The first major duel was between Rhaenyra's son, Lucerys Velaryon with his dragon Arrax against Aegon II's brother Aemond and his dragon Vhagar. That's the same Vhagar flown by Visenya Targaryen during Aegon's Conquest. They fought over Shipbreaker's Bay after both were sent as envoys by their families to Borros Baratheon gain support for each side's claim. Borros chose Aegon II and afterwards both Targaryens and their dragons clashed. Aemond and Vhagar won. Arrax was killed by Vhagar and Lucerys was killed when Arrax slammed into the bay.

The second major duel was with Princess Rhaenys and her dragon Meleys against both Aemond and Vhagar and Aegon II and his dragon Sunfyre during the Battle of Rook's Rest. Rhaenys (don't confuse her with Rhaenyra like I did at first) had been considered as an heir to Jaehaerys I but he chose Rhaenyra's father Viserys I instead. She held no hard feelings though and supported Rhaenyra's claim through. Rhaenys and and Meleys led a suicide charge against Aegon/Sunfyre and Aemond/Vhagar. She and Meleys were both killed but they nearly tore off Sunfyre's wing and burned Aegon II so severely that he spent most of the war being attended by maester's while his brother Aemond ruled as regent.

The third and most awesome duel was between Aemond with Vhagar against Prince Daemon and his dragon Caraxes. Daemon was Rhaenyra's second husband and father of the future Aegon III and Viserys II. Since he was also the brother of Viserys I, he was Aemond's uncle as well. Caraxes was able to bite Vhagar's neck but Vhagar tore open Caraxes's stomach and ripped a wing. As both circled lower towards God's Eye, Daemon jumped off of Caraxes's back onto Vhagar's and thrust his sword (Dark Sister) through Aemond's eye and into his brain. Daemon and the two dragons were killed when they slammed into the lake but it was still awesome to read.

The rest of the story is pretty tragic. Rhaenyra's other two Velaryon sons are also killed. Aegon II had allied with Tyrosh, Lys and Myr and their fleets clashed with Rhaenyra's Velaryon fleets at the Battle of the Gullet. During the battle Jacaerys (who reminds me a lot of Robb Stark in the book) was killed when he and Vermax were brought down by grapnels during the sea battle. Joffrey (lol) was killed, fittingly after the people of Kings Landing revolted and stormed the Dragonpit to kill all the dragons. Rhaenyra had taken King's Landing after Aemond's army had been drawn out by Daemon but she pissed off the populace by her cruelty and paranoia. Aegon doesn't fare much better. His two younger brothers both died, Aemond of course in a dragon duel and Daeron at the Battle of Tumbleton and his sister and wife Halaena commits suicide after their son Jaehaerys is assassinated (at only six years old). He eventually captures Rhaenyra and feeds her to his crippled dragon Sunfyre, but the story ends with Rhaenyra's followers pledging to continue the struggle in her fourth son (future Aegon III)'s name.

5. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Hmm. Interesting. I wonder if there will be any parallels between this story and the main story. Martin said there would be a Dance of Dragons 2.0.

6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Hmmm.

I don't know why, but I really thought you would prefer Westeros over the Free Cities.

....Right. Because they are pretty blatantly and shamelessly plutocracies and that always struck me as your least favorite form of government.

I can already see some parallels with Dany's current situation...

Very interesting set up.
    The Stark-Tully alliance is very persistent isn't it, and they also seem to align with the Arryns a lot. Oddly, the original novel only comments on a friendship with the Baratheons, which doesn't seem nearly as consistent.

7. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Well the Tullys were basically forced to join Rhaenyra's forces. Her husband Daemon's opening move was to capture Harrenhal with his dragon Caraxes, which cut off the Riverlands from Kings Landing and Aegon II's forces. The riverlords around Harrenhal declared for Rhaenyra after this, with the Blackwoods and Darrys being foremost. The Tullys and the Freys went along with it since a majority of the Riverlands had already done so, and they didn't want to deal with a dragon.

House Stark (Cregan Stark being the head at this time) kept to their word in support Rhaenyra which they had pledged years ago. And House Arryn (Jeyne Arryn being head) declared for Rhaenyra since doing otherwise would throw Jeyne's rule into question.

8. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Do any Tyrells appear in this new story?

9. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Only a couple of mentions. The head of House Tyrell is literally an infant. If I recall his mother acts as regent for him and she declares for Aegon II since Aegon's mother is a member of House Hightower, either to support their vassals or not cause a further civil war in the Reach.

10. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Disappointments all over tonight. I'm just going to stop asking about media franchises I like for the moment. :p

11. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    To read or not to read? I've been thinking for months about starting this series, but considering it took Martin 6 years between Feast for Crows and Dance With Dragons and 2 1/2 years already of waiting for Winds of Winter, with probably at least one more year, if not into 2015, should I try to wait for him to finish the series, or just go ahead and start?

12. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Read it.

Sebulba-X and Force Smuggler like this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He does get bogged down in the details quite a lot, but I would say go ahead and read it if you're looking for a good story with well fleshed-out characters.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Read it but don't expect WOW to be here by 2015. Try 2016 if we are lucky. Go through it all slowly if you must read it. Many fans wish they hadn't even begun reading it due to the long waits and if/when it will be finished.

Its a great story though. So far.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll start reading Game of Thrones after the New Year. I could probably drag all five books out for at least 6 months, if not the entire year, given how long they are. Just out of curiousity, how many chapters does the US version of each book have?

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Stick with the series. Even if you do take a break from it for a while, that's not a good idea.

17. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Fixed.

Volderon likes this.
  18. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Oh come on, Martin has the whole series written already. He's just screwing with us.

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Or he misplaced the final two manuscripts and is too embarrassed to admit it.

20. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    No I just think hes not interested in it anymore to be honest. Wanna know why the first three volumes came out like clockwork? Because he was excited about his story and kept writing and writing and needed to split books so thats why we got them so close one after another.

SiouxFan likes this.
  21. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Put in an order via Amazon for the 5 volume box set(paperback) of ASOIAF this afternoon. Dad and Mom are currently watching S1 of the show; Mom and I both want to read the books. I was just going to check them out at the library, but she suggested I buy them instead.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, they're pretty horrible, no doubt there. I can't say either of them are ideal -- but the Free Cities are both older and more modern, being former Valyrian states with more advanced social, economic, and political structures. Westeros is just this cold, terrible, medieval backwater.

23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Well, apart from the slavery thing anyway - though at least some states don't do that, and it has been pointed out peasants aren't much better off.

Anyway - read the "the Princess and the Queen" for myself - and while the story has the moral ambiguity typical of the franchise, my sympathies are pretty solidly on the black side.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think a major theme is pretty clearly that the world (both Westeros and Essos) is **** and instead of trying to do something worthwhile to improve it-- or even paying attention to the threat from the Others-- aristocrats and other extremely wealthy people just play stupid games with each other that cost their realms dearly. At the very least hundreds of thousands of people are dead or displaced and Westeros is on the brink of a major famine, all because of two kids with a lot of power.

25. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    The box set showed up today. Mom and I have both started AGOT. She's only two pages in, while I've read the Prologue and Chapter I.