main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    The spoiler policy says:

The wording is a bit ambiguous about whether, during those first two weeks in the spoilers thread, HTR is required. It's polite to HTR, and many do, but I haven't been enforcing that in the spoilers thread.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Also, I have a present for you guys - scroll down the list of icon caetgories :D

3. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    This one says ADoD is a masterpiece.

4. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
  5. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Pat said that ADWD is the ####!!!! So that is good news. I wont be reading in theis thread come Tuesday.

6. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    Is Jon Snow dead? Escaped Dragons?! Dunk and Egg reborn?! A masterpiece in every sense of the word...

7. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Awesome. Thanks. :cool:

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just a note for UK folks that my local Waterstones had all of the paperbacks in this series published so far on their '3 for 2' tables today. If you're starting from scratch you might want to start there..

9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I need to hurry up on my re-read. Still got a couple hundred pages left in ASOS.

10. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    The Tyrion chapters are amazing as well as the Reek/Theon and Davos chapters, in which we become more enligtened about the history of the North including the more recent history which is really eye opening in relation to the current story. I love the Wayman Manderly character too but he doesnt have a pov

11. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Just picked up my copy. That is a hefty tome.

12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Got my copy today. Too bad I won't be able to read any of it until I'm done with my re-read of AFFC.

13. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I'm quite sure that the answer to that is yes, and at first I was quite sad and concerned. And then I thought about it for two seconds, remembered the oath that the Night's Watch swears, and said "Oh, that makes sense."

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Jon is dead. His watch is ended. However, I doubt that he'll stay dead for more than a few minutes; Melisandre can and likely will restore him to life. Jon Snow will be free of the oath to the Night's Watch. Jon will be free to retake and restore the North, to do whatever he needs to do with the incoming Dragons, and to bring armies to come help the Wall.

14. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Wyman Manderly. Literally, the biggest badass in the books. Frey pie FTW. Also, a new khalasar for Dany? Do we know this khal previously?

15. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Was he one of Drogo's bloodriders?

16. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    " They made Strong Belwas sick. Someone must die "[face_laugh]

Also, i dont know If I'm quite sure that Jon is dead. He may be. I personally think he wargs into Ghost whilst his body is on ice or comatose. Something about being the 998th Lord Commander makes me think somehow he's going to return as the 1000th.

17. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    " All three of the sons of the fifth Aegon had wed for love , in defiance of their father's wishes. And because that unlikely monarch had himself followed his heart when he chose his queen, he allowed his sons to have their way, making bitter enemies where he might have had fast friends "

And thats the nucleus of this whole story , including the prequels , with the conflict resolution residing on what Martin really thinks of the power of love, which to this point is an opinion thats pretty jaded, but not yet dead.

And yes , Barristan Selmy is the f'en man. Martin couldnt make it any clearer how he thinks a military person should conduct themselves ALWAYS. " If I had seen him smile over the red ruins of Rhaegar's children, no army on this earth could have stopped me from killing him. " My heart was racing when I read that. It actually made me think about the military in a positive light for the first time in a long time.

18. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I looked it up, and apparently so, though I thought Dany's killed them all at Mirri's tent. Oh and apparently one of his bloodriders is the guy that raped and killed Eroeh. This is going to go well...

19. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Nah.

Ghost might help ensure Jon remains entirely Jon, but I think that he is definitely 100% dead at the moment. As I said above though, being dead frees him from his oath to the Night Watch. His watch ends with his death. As to how he could come back to life, well, if only there was a follower of R'hllor around, someone who could breath life back into Jon.

If only...

...oh wait, there is.

Jon will be dead for three days, maximum. I'd guess it'd be more like three minutes. The shock will be if Martin doesn't use the Chekhov Gunman standing around packing heat.

I actually have Sam in mind as the likely 1000th commander.

20. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Technically, Jhaqo seems to have been one of Drogo's kos: his captains, and the second to declare himself khal after Drogo's death.

21. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Oh that's right. The bloodriders traditionally die with their Khal, don't they...?

As for Jon: yeah that would be a very elegant way of freeing him from his oath - just like the dragon thing was a rather elegant way of freeing Dany from Meereen. I wondered how he was going to do that.

22. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Hmm...certainly some interesting things happened in ADWD. It was a good book I ll give it that, but it was no ASOS for sure. One character took me unawares and Im not to sure I like having them in the mix.

23. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    I thought A Dance With Dragons was a hair better entry of the story then A Storm Of Swords which makes it the best to date for me, and I think overall it fits seamlessly with the others into the overall saga/song. These books despite each having there own unique feel aren't meant to be stand alone novels. Just the introduction of Barristans p.o.v. was enough to elevate the novel to the high standard that Martin has established.

24. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    Just finished the other day. Quite a good book. The Tyrion chapters were my favorite one's about him yet.

Oh that's right. The bloodriders traditionally die with their Khal, don't they...?[/quote]

Yep. They ritualistically kill themselves after avenging their Kal.

As for Jon... I think Warg is more likley then the breath of fire. Melisandre isn't a Thoros of Myr that's for sure. She is cruel and seems to delve into some very dark magic.

I'm really intrested in what is going on with Bran and Jamie. Bran is, more or less, becoming an old "god" and Jamie... Well he just left with someone who should be dead.

Anyway was anyone else disapointed with what happened to Quentyn? It just seems a waste of pages. Afterall his character wasn't essential to the story.

Also what do you guys think about Prince Aegon surviving? I did not ecpect it at all... But it makes sense. After all as Rhaegar did say his Song would be of Ice and Fire.

Also Barristan was a total BA**!

25. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Rhaegar knew that one of the Targaryens would be associated with the Song of Ice and Fire. I think that Jon Snow is still the most likely candidate - he's definitely got the ice, and I suspect that he'll be associated with fire in the next book.