main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I finished reading "The Princess and the Queen" today. Great stuff.

I thought it was particularly interesting that Rhaenyra gave birth to a stillborn daughter with deformed dragon features. I thought that Dany's incident in A Game of Thrones was a one-time thing, but I guess not. I wonder just how deep the connection between Targaryens and dragons actually goes, and what caused it.

Anyways, cant wait for "The Rogue Prince" in a few months. In the meantime, I need to get my hands on the Dunk and Egg stuff...

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    -- boy, they really messed up Shae, didn't they?

-- Cersei jealous of Brienne? in what universe?

-- having the dwarf Renly ride a Loras horse seems like the kind of move that would lead to a war in such an honor-centric society, especially since Loras is the heir in this version. wtf?

s65horsey likes this.
  3. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I'm more annoyed with how out of character Stannis was. He would never burn loyal followers for still worshiping the Seven. It's BS, and there was literally no follow up on the events that occurred the last time we saw Team Dragonstone. D & D are really dropping the ball when it comes to Stannis (even if they do get some things right, like forbidding Selyse from harming Shireen, as a whole they are screwing him up).

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    You leave that Cersei/Brienne scene alone. We have a lot of feelings about that right now.

And while I kinda saw it coming, having Bronn train with Jaime instead of Ser Illyn? *sigh*

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hey, I'm not going after your ship :p I get that you're very excited about that silence there. I like them too!

I'm more questioning the notion that Cersei would be aware or perceptive enough to even notice that Brienne and Jaime had feelings for each other :p

6. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Doesn't the actor who played Ser Illyn have terminal cancer or something? I think that is why he hasn't been around since season 2.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The actor for Illyn is dying of cancer, so I understand that one. It's believable enough for Bronn to keep his mouth shut in exchange for a pile of gold.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Also, RE: Jaime/Brienne. I think they definitely have feelings for each in other in the books and probably the show. But they're never, ever really going to act on them in a romantic capacity. Hell, one or both of them has a good chance of dying in WoW.

RC-1991 likes this.
  9. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    They've recast so many other actors that I wouldn't be surprised if they recast him as well. Sad to hear that, though.

And don't you dare crush my hopes that they're my only ship that will make it out of these books alive. :(

krtmd and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

they'll die so much that there'll be nothing left but bitter memories.

That's punishment for shipping.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The expanded role for Shireen is curious. Not that I'm complaining, she's totally adorable -- but I did not expect her to be an advocate for the Seven who would have to be turned by Melisandre. But sure, I'll roll with it. She and Davos are the only non-crazy people there. Although I'm looking forward to Stannis's later escapades this season -- presumably all the wall stuff will come at some point. Wonder if the show audience will be taken by surprise. Hopefully they will, that part was the single biggest surprise in the book series for me probably (perhaps more than the RW, which I didn't see coming either).

The_Forgotten_Jedi likes this.
  12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Sadly, that will depend on everyone forgetting and not re-watching. The show went in to way too much detail, at too great a length, for previous season's final Melisandre/Stannis scene. They announced that they were going to the Wall, and exactly why they would do so.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    oh yeah, I forgot that they basically spoiled it with that scene. bah. Well, the show audience is notorious for mixing up characters and things, maybe they'll all just forget it happened.

oh, who are we kidding. This show will just put it in a "PREVIOUSLY ON GAME OF THRONES" on the same episode Stannis intervenes.

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yeah, I'm surprised they didn't handle Joffrey's by letting the responsible party just tackle and strangle him in the middle of the ceremony. They don't really do subtlety well at all.

15. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I swear to the Gods old and new that I read that sentence as "enough to even notice that Bronn and Jaime had feelings for each other." :D

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    we'll just leave comments about their awkward swordplay unsaid

17. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Strong start to the season so far.

Yeah, but at least the realm wouldn't go to crap under his watch. Well, more to crap. I guess I'm just saying that he knew how to rule, and that his malice served some greater purpose. I'm not sure even he could handle the North at war, the Ironborn going nuts, Dorne plotting, Young Griff landing, and, someday, an Other/White Walker invasion. Though if Kevan was doing a good enough job to be targeted for assassination, I guess Tywin would have an even better chance.

Plus his chemistry with Maisie Williams.

More than Catelyn, too?

Interestingly, the Stannis arrival didn't surprise me as much when I read the book, so spelling it out more in the finale last season just kind of makes me excited. I was spoiled on the RW in book and show, so I missed out on the shock, but the dread was still there. I think I could relate to your frustration, though, if they end up somehow spoiling Catelyn. The clues were certainly there in the book, but that one caught me completely by surprise. The show seems happy to have left out Nymeria so far, so I'm hoping we get nothing until that reveal. Hopefully at the end of the season.

I feel like the Tyrells are smarter than trying to go to war with the Lannisters right now. Margaery and Olenna seem like they're practically running things, Mace probably didn't even pick up on the slight and would likely be too hesitant to openly oppose the Lannisters, and Loras... well, he was certainly offended, but it seems like he's actually experienced a little bit of character growth since wanting to personally fight is way to Stannis. It seems like he's getting into playing the game, or at least being there for his sister as she does it. Not really in line with the books, but I don't mind it if it gives him a little more dimension.

I have to agree with The_Forgotten_Jedi in being disappointed with Stannis' scene. Burning his brother-in-law for sticking to the Seven instead of treason just makes it look like he's seriously kowtowing to Mel. It seems like the seeds of a turnaround could be there as he clearly cares for Shireen and Davos is still around, but at this point it's much more about my own hope than anything's that's been presented on screen. I'll see how it goes, though.

18. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I'm going to try to watch Ep2 tonight, may not be until tomorrow. One question: does a certain female dwarf appear in the wedding festivities?

19. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Nope, all five of the dwarfs were male. That doesn't mean they can't put Penny into the show later, though.

All the clues regarding the QoT's involvement were there. She walked up, straightened Sansa's hair, then slipped a stone off the necklace. On all the subsequent shots of Sansa, if you look closely near her left shoulder, you can see a stone is missing. Then of course when Joffrey snatches up his cup to have a drink, it was sitting next to the QoT the whole time. That's a level of subtlety I never thought the show was capable of.

s65horsey likes this.
  20. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I really don't like the way they're dealing with Shae this series - it's clearly implied that she's being pushed towards betraying Tyrion (plus the handmaiden reporting on her in Ep 1 suggests that the Lannisters weren't completely aware of her existence in KL) - while in the book, it's left open that she might have been in the employ of Tywin all along, which I think makes her 'betrayal' far more savage.

21. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    At least it will be obvious to the viewers as to why Shae testifies against Tyrion, though.

22. yankee8255

May 31, 2005

Really? I never picked up on that at all.

23. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    One big clue is that Tyrion finds Shae waiting in Tywin's bedroom. Another is that given how loudly Tywin proclaims his hatred of whores, it could merely be a cover for him partaking in them.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I wouldn't find it surprising that he partakes in them but doesn't treat then like people, so he particularly looks down on his son for being so smitten with them. Of course in his mind a peasant woman is also the same as a whore, and both are to be mistreated... ugh.

Not sure if that really means Shae was his agent the whole time though. If so, you'd think he'd know more about Tyrion's goings-on. I feel like he only co-opts her later, with offers that far exceed what Tyrion could give her. Book Shae was greedy greedy greedy.

Show Shae on the other hand, has just (from her perspective) been insulted and tossed aside by Tyrion for no good reason, and probably did love him.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

tom likes this.
  25. yankee8255

May 31, 2005

Well, unless she really did get on the boat like Bronn said, We'll find out how convincingly she can say "Giant of Lannister". I thought that scene in the trial one of the most brutal in the entire series. How the hell stupid was she to try to use it in a positive sense when he finds her in his father's bed?

I find it hard to believe Tywin knew all along. I guess it's certainly possible that he found out well before the PW.