main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    With something like that, you'd imagine that it'd be a casing designed to crack or pop open easily, the contents would be emptied into the cup, then the casing would be disposed of elsewhere.

The only ambiguity has to do with just who else was involved and their exact motivations. I think GRRM's 'surprises' point towards twists in motivation and other interests, rather than some sort of unexpected lone gunman being behind it all.

2. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    Umm... Brienne of Tarth.

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Oberyn isn't the type to have others do his dirty deeds for him, though.

4. cbagmjg

Jul 12, 2006
    Poison is a woman's weapon of choice. If I recall... Ned Stark said something along those lines.

5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    From what I remember from the books, the poison is described quite some time before, and it's the stones themselves that are poisonous.

EDIT The presumed poison, the Strangler

6. cbagmjg

Jul 12, 2006
    I invented the sexual act called... "The Strangler". Unfortunately, it's a one man show involving slipknots.

7. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I just love how anyone who doesn't have foreknowledge having any possibly incorrect theory is automatically a "dumb idiot".

What's great about it is that I think people jump to the assumption that it's one person, so they think it's just Dontos or just someone working for Littlefinger until later when you realize there were a handful of conspirators. I saw one site doing a rundown of all of the suspects, giving motives to obvious ones like Oberyn, Olenna, Margaery, and Sansa while even making some cases for Varys, Tywin, or Tyrion. I do wish they'd had Tyrion inspecting the pie or something so it didn't make it so clear that it's the wine.

Out of character for Tywin? The ruthless pragmatist? The guy secretly behind the Freys' betrayal of the Starks? I don't think he would hesitate for a second to kill Joffrey had he continued to go down the Mad King road. Though publicly at his wedding... no. Neither incarnation.

Don't the books themselves have characters stating that Loras would not have let Joffrey hurt his sister? I mean, part of his characterization in the books is that he's a hot head who doesn't necessarily think his actions through. Joffrey wouldn't do anything because, well, he'd probably be dead.

I don't remember that. The most danger I recall him being in is his status now, near death after storming Dragonstone. Didn't he get hit by boiling oil or something?

I think he was just teasing his readers. Sure, it's possible that we'll have a reveal that it wasn't really Olenna, and in a larger sense some truths we may already cling to in the series may be completely subverted, but I doubt we'll get that change. Seems like there would be little purpose at this juncture.

Funny enough, they're smaller than I imagined the stones being in the hairnet. Anyway, dark wine, quick dissolve, birdy distraction, you're poisoned.

timmoishere likes this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Also, don't keep drinking the wine if you start gagging.

9. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Given how big they are, I keep scanning the background for Olenna working a cocktail shaker.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

timmoishere and Ender Sai like this.
  10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Not with Tywin.

11. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Touché

12. cbagmjg

Jul 12, 2006
    There's another spear Oberyn would coat with poison & stab Joffrey with... and it ain't metal... I assume it ain't anyway.

13. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I ha forgotten that the only information we have on the plot is from what Littlefinger told Sansa, so that there's possibly quite a bit more to the plot.

As for Tywin, and it being out of character for him, if he felt Joff was out of control and would bring ruin on House Lannister, I wouldn't put it past him. But I don't think he#s that far yet. More importantly, he certainly wouldn't intentionally be part of a plot that freed Sansa, a rather valuable hostage.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I watched that poisoning sequence. Man that's rough...even for an unlikeable little poophead.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    A hostage against whom? The remnants of the North who resent the Boltons? I feel like at this point her status as the Lady of Winterfell -- Bran and Rickon's status being unknown to the world at this point -- is more valuable than anything else.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. yankee8255

May 31, 2005

17. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
  18. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
  19. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
  20. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I'm surprised no one, especially sj, has picked up on the necklace yet, Dontos's involvement is pretty clear.

21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    This makes me wish the show had a meta character familiar with the books who was just really confused a lot of the time.

Trip and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  22. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    In that sample preview...is that dragon wearing armour?

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well that's the strange thing. Most people think Dontos has something fi do with it but nobody's homing in on the necklace.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

24. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    It's only one episode ago, people!

Do any of them even lift?!!!

25. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    "Oh look the fool from two seasons ago is suddenly in an episode, he's giving Sansa a necklace. Weird. Oh look Joffrey is dead, TYWIN DID IT HE'S A KILLER."

yankee8255 likes this.