main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Read that when it came out, loved it. Cannot wait for the book to come out.

Yup. Dragons are great at killing, but that doesn't mean they're invincible.

2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Littlefinger's voice becoming more like Christian Bale's Batman with every episode he's in.

Edit: They're going to have Jaime straight up rape Cersei? Ugh.

Edit 2: Dammit, Stannis never believed the leeches! Let's further bastardize his character why don't we?

3. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Wow. Wow. I don't understand how they can do so well in some scenes and completely circle the bowl in others.

LF's voice was fine in season 1 but it was so messed up in season 2.

4. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Yo this episode is the worst.

krtmd and Darth_Smeagol like this.
  5. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    What's happening in it? I have to watch tomorrow unfortunately.

6. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Oberyn and Tywin conversation which was not subtle in the slightest.

It's actually picked up since I said that. Nice Tyrion and Podrick scene, a good Wall scene and Grenn and Edd made it back to the Wall so maybe it's not the worst episode.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    That really pissed me off.

8. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    My memory of book events fades day by day, but I told myself I wouldn't read them again until I knew the release date of book 6. However I actually became angry when I couldn't remember if Jamie raped Cersei or not.

Jensaarai1219 likes this.
  9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The book scene was kind of funny in a morbid way, seeing as how they were ****ing next to their son's corpse. The show completely ruined that by making it rape.

krtmd, Point Given and YodaKenobi like this.
  10. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Did Littlefinger murder Ser Dontos at least?

11. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Yes. That I remember.

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    On that note, Aidan Gillan has just stopped trying to act, right?

yankee8255, RC-1991 and Mar17swgirl like this.
  13. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    So does this mean they're going to turn Jaime into a bad guy again? I'm so confused about his character because that was ridiculously out of character but maybe not?

14. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    It just doesn't make sense. Jaime's still haunted by how Aerys's raped Rhaella. Now he's suddenly going to rape Cersei?

Also I really don't like what they did with the Thenns. They're pretty cool in the books.

And I'm betting that that little kid is going to kill Ygritte. I was wondering if they'd switch it to Jon but the shot of the kid glaring at her has me convinced he'll do it.

krtmd likes this.
  15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Isn't it unclear in the book who killed her (but Jon blames himself)?

16. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah. All we know is that it wasn't Jon because the fletching on the fatal arrow was a different color than his own. I thought the show might switch it to Jon for dramatic purposes but after seeing that kid I think he'll do the deed.

17. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I have a feeling that it is over-compensation for how much people now sympathise with him. Coster-Waldau and Christie did too good of a job making him a character people like a lot more than he was at this stage in the books. I wouldn't be surprised if this is trying to show "no look, he is still a bastard and not one of the good guys" from the writers room.

Oddly enough, given that it is being dissolved in alcohol that would provide the how something that size would dissolve quickly. It's an organic derrived poison and you would not want the crystalised form to dissolve just in water (otherwise rain, salt spray, or sweat would dissolve it) but alcohol would foot the bill nicely.

Edit: Also, I know others haven't liked it, but right then gave a glimpse as to why I like Huisman as Daario. He exudes charm and fits with the overall asthetic of the TV world.

18. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Yeah that doesn't surprise me. The other day I was talking about him with my roommate who hasn't read the books and she was like "How can you not like Jaime?" It was difficult to explain how different he was in the books at this stage. This scene tonight definitely helped her see the difference though.

19. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Ugh, that rape scene was really stupid. In the books, Jaime and Cersei doing the deed next to Joffrey's corpse was just a perfect way to show exactly how ****ed up they were after never seeing them interact from a POV before. And D & D turned it into something pointlessly awful and out-of-character, instead of something awful but full of character insight.

I did like the Tywin & Tommen interaction though. Great speech and manipulation on Tywin's part, but I also got the feeling that he sincerely believes that with Tommen as king, they can do a lot of good for the kingdom.

And Tyrion and Podrick's scene was excellent, with some very nice humor throughout before the sad ending. Plus, it perfectly sets up Pod going with Brienne to search for Sansa, who Pod no doubt hopes can prove his friends innocence.

Very happy Grenn and Edd are alive, was a bit worried about them (although I'm still worried Grenn will take Donal Noye's place against Mag the Mighty). And I must say, I actually prefer the show's version of Aliser Throne over the books. He's still an a**hole, but much more complicated.

Davos and Shireen continues to be awesome. The focus on her is interesting, and on in Matt Fowler's review for the episode on IGN, he noted how it seemed like she was more important to the grand scheme of things than Bran currently is. This got me thinking: if D & D are clued in on how the series ends, perhaps they are adding all of these awesome scenes with Shireen because she is going to be the one winning the Iron Throne? Which, IMO, would be totally awesome.

According to the GOT wiki, Hizdahr zo Loraq was among the Great Masters on the wall of Meereen. Alas, no Shavepate. And was this also the first mention of the Golden Company? Hopefully that will mean something in the future.

20. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Writers you were doing so well with Jaime and then YOU DO THIS???

[​IMG]

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That Jaime scene was absolutely disgraceful. I almost wanted to turn it off after that bit. It's just random character assassination for no reason. Jaime's not a good person, and he's still got a ways to go to get on the mend -- but he was never a rapist. Even at his worst, he wasn't into women except Cersei: and Cersei he loved. He wouldn't rape her. The hell.

The Tywin scene was almost just as bad. The notion of Tywin believing Dany has dragons or thinking the wildings are a threat is absurd. Tywin wouldn't credit a dragon existing unless he saw one himself (his reaction would be pretty interesting, if so) and he'd probably see the wildlings as another means to mess up the north, since I don't think his alliance with the Boltons is intended to be permanent (why else go through the charade of the Sansa/Tyrion marriage?)

The show continues to make Tyrion into an angelic saint of the sort that makes Ned Stark and Barristan Selmy look like bad guys.

On the bright side, I did like the hilarious Arya/Hound scene this time. I was really hoping the Hound wouldn't be a monster, but as soon as guest right came up I knew it was inevitable (the show isn't very subtle, so it's always clear when they're telegraphing). At least Arya gave him crap for it. I don't like her and I think she's going down a bad path, but I do think she'd still balk at straight up theft of someone who did her a kindness. At least at this stage she would. If she hadn't gave him crap, I'd have been annoyed.

The Dany scene was alright, but wtf is with Meereen's champion jousting like a Westerosi knight? He should've been a pit fighter type of fellow. Clarke is getting pretty good at acting with the Valyrian though, which is nice. Part of me wishes they had Selmy take the guy out instead of Daaaaaaaaaario (it was Strong Belwas in ASOS, right?)

Oh, and Shireen continues to be awesome. I am pleasantly surprised by the prominence they're giving her. I don't care for the character in the books, but she's great in the show. I suppose this is the Braavos tangent they're working in. Looking forward to seeing Braavos in the title sequence and on screen.

Oh, on that note, Meereen was nicely designed. I like how different all the Ghiscari cities look, and the Great Pyramid did not disappoint. I also like that they added some color on the walls -- Meereen was supposed to be the most colorful of the slaver cities.

edit: oh, more negatives. Why do they insist on continuing to waste our time with sideplots and then say they have to cut things for time? What was the point of the Gilly sideplot this ep? I presume they'll gut Sam's Braavos arc entirely, but it still seemed pointless. As did the first half of the Martell scene, where they decided to stick a camera into someone's butt for some reason.

krtmd likes this.
  22. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    It was the exact same way in the book. The Meereenees (IDK if that's right, but I think Meereen needed some more e's) champion used a ridiculously long lance to try impaling Strong Belwas, and Dany and her advisors noted that he was acting like he was jousting.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Meereenese. And ah, okay then. Complaint withdrawn -- though still confused, since I still thought it was a Westerosi thing but alright.

24. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    In the books, Cersei resisted at first then gave into him, right?

Shireen is adorable. I wish her parents (especially her mother) realized what a wonderful child they have.

I know Sam and Gilly are awkward with each other, but did something seem a bit off with their scene? I'm not sure how else to word it.

25. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Presumably now Jaime's rape of Cersei will be his reason for leaving King's Landing.